hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I saw Bowie at Glastonbury in 2000, which has gone down as one of the great Glastonbury performances. At the time I left after a few songs as I was bored and wanted to dance, going to see Basement Jaxx instead. I regretted it for years, until I listened to the live album that was released, and still didnít think it was that great.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    The Proclaimers at the last ever TITP was pretty special

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw Bowie at Glastonbury in 2000, which has gone down as one of the great Glastonbury performances. At the time I left after a few songs as I was bored and wanted to dance, going to see Basement Jaxx instead. I regretted it for years, until I listened to the live album that was released, and still didnít think it was that great.
    That set gets way more recognition that it deserves. You have to ask if everyone would bang on about it as much if he wasnít deed.

Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    I saw Bowie at Glastonbury in 2000, which has gone down as one of the great Glastonbury performances. At the time I left after a few songs as I was bored and wanted to dance, going to see Basement Jaxx instead. I regretted it for years, until I listened to the live album that was released, and still didn’t think it was that great.
    I felt that way about Bruce Springsteen in 2009 - was near the front and was bored for most of it. Thought both Neil Young the night before and Blur the night after were far superior.

Radiohead in 2017 were my last Pyramid stage headliner - they were absolutely garbage for the first 45 minutes or so but something clicked and the last hour and a half was euphoric. Hit after hit after hit, and even a cheeky wee second encore of Creep and Karma Police to send everyone into the night happy. Lots of people headed off for something else in the first part of the set and missed a brilliant one.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I felt that way about Bruce Springsteen in 2009 - was near the front and was bored for most of it. Thought both Neil Young the night before and Blur the night after were far superior.
    Conversely, I was near the back, and loved it. Probably because I had plenty space to do my GBH dancing

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

Radiohead in 2017 were my last Pyramid stage headliner - they were absolutely garbage for the first 45 minutes or so but something clicked and the last hour and a half was euphoric. Hit after hit after hit, and even a cheeky wee second encore of Creep and Karma Police to send everyone into the night happy. Lots of people headed off for something else in the first part of the set and missed a brilliant one.
    I fell out with my mate about that set. Radiohead played songs from their at the time new album, for the first half and no-one knew them. I thought that it was the wrong thing to do at a festival but my mate loved it.

As you say, the second half saved it. More than saved it really, it was great. I heard an interview with Ed O'Brien last summer in which he said that they'd got it wrong.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I fell out with my mate about that set. Radiohead played songs from their at the time new album, for the first half and no-one knew them. I thought that it was the wrong thing to do at a festival but my mate loved it.

As you say, the second half saved it. More than saved it really, it was great. I heard an interview with Ed O'Brien last summer in which he said that they'd got it wrong.
    They were making little errors in that first part too - Thom coming in early for vocals, Jonny not giving Thom his pitch before 15 Step and as a result he was horrendously out of tune during the song. Got right down the front for that one as well and it was brilliant, but my thought in the first 45 minutes was that they'd blown an absolute open goal of a headline set.

Left feeling euphoric about how good the rest of it was though so job done, but that could and should have been a classic set.

I think it was the crowd and the state of the event two weeks after, but their set at TRNSMT was terrible. Spent the set around coked up ********s wanting to fight but the crowd never seemed into it. Shame, as 'The Bends' was great.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Blur did something similar at T in the Park 1999, the first half of the set was all new album songs, then they played some bigger hits. I loved it, but it didnít go down that well with some of the festival crowd.

Blur did something similar at T in the Park 1999, the first half of the set was all new album songs, then they played some bigger hits. I loved it, but it didnít go down that well with some of the festival crowd.
    The Pouges went to the playhouse after a Hibs game an d a session in the Hibs club not knowing who they were . Shane comes on bottle of whiskey in hand and starts I lasted 10 minutes and left just not for me

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    The Pouges went to the playhouse after a Hibs game an d a session in the Hibs club not knowing who they were . Shane comes on bottle of whiskey in hand and starts I lasted 10 minutes and left just not for me
    Saw the Pogues in the early 2000s at the MEN. Shane was pished out of his head, he missed more songs than he performed on, kept going off stage. Was still a decent gig though but disappointing he couldnt keep it together to do the show.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I must have seen thousands of bands over the years from Deep Purple to David Bowie and The Clash to Adel. There will be lots of gems but my memory's not what it was. Two stick out.

Queen at Knebworth '86. That was probably the best live performance in ever for me.

The Specials comeback tour 2009 i think, O2 Academy Glasgow, the atmosphere just before they came on was pure electric. Never felt an atmosphere like that before or since. The misses who was with me, she disappeared to the bar with half an hour, by the time i'd caught up wither after a couple of encores she'd found about a dozen Hibbys and a good after concert sesh was had.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Blog Entries
    Probably showing my age, but the best two gigs Iíve been to were in the last few years - Billy Joelís sole UK gig at Wembley and the Paul Simon Farewell Tour in Glasgow.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dave7062
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    I must have seen thousands of bands over the years from Deep Purple to David Bowie and The Clash to Adel. There will be lots of gems but my memory's not what it was. Two stick out.

Queen at Knebworth '86. That was probably the best live performance in ever for me.

The Specials comeback tour 2009 i think, O2 Academy Glasgow, the atmosphere just before they came on was pure electric. Never felt an atmosphere like that before or since. The misses who was with me, she disappeared to the bar with half an hour, by the time i'd caught up wither after a couple of encores she'd found about a dozen Hibbys and a good after concert sesh was had.
    That Specials gig in Glasgow was absolutely bouncing, probably one of the few gigs I've been to in that place where the sound has been really good.

The only other one I can think of was the pogues , might have been 2010ish. Sound was ace and MacGowan seemed a lot less drunk and back in the form I remembered from late 80s.

Richard Thompson in 1996 at the 3B Tavern in Bellingham (WA) was a standout for me.
    I unexpectedly stumbled across a poster in the main street of this sleepy wee town advertising the gig that night. Iíd seen him a few times over the years, but playing in a small bar with only Danny Thomson in accompaniment was something special. It was just so intimate with only about 50 patrons in attendance and an entry fee of ~$10....Amazing guitarist.