hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I saw Bowie at Glastonbury in 2000, which has gone down as one of the great Glastonbury performances. At the time I left after a few songs as I was bored and wanted to dance, going to see Basement Jaxx instead. I regretted it for years, until I listened to the live album that was released, and still didn’t think it was that great.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    The Proclaimers at the last ever TITP was pretty special

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw Bowie at Glastonbury in 2000, which has gone down as one of the great Glastonbury performances. At the time I left after a few songs as I was bored and wanted to dance, going to see Basement Jaxx instead. I regretted it for years, until I listened to the live album that was released, and still didn’t think it was that great.
    That set gets way more recognition that it deserves. You have to ask if everyone would bang on about it as much if he wasn’t deed.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I felt that way about Bruce Springsteen in 2009 - was near the front and was bored for most of it. Thought both Neil Young the night before and Blur the night after were far superior.

Radiohead in 2017 were my last Pyramid stage headliner - they were absolutely garbage for the first 45 minutes or so but something clicked and the last hour and a half was euphoric. Hit after hit after hit, and even a cheeky wee second encore of Creep and Karma Police to send everyone into the night happy. Lots of people headed off for something else in the first part of the set and missed a brilliant one.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I felt that way about Bruce Springsteen in 2009 - was near the front and was bored for most of it. Thought both Neil Young the night before and Blur the night after were far superior.
    Conversely, I was near the back, and loved it. Probably because I had plenty space to do my GBH dancing

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Radiohead in 2017 were my last Pyramid stage headliner - they were absolutely garbage for the first 45 minutes or so but something clicked and the last hour and a half was euphoric. Hit after hit after hit, and even a cheeky wee second encore of Creep and Karma Police to send everyone into the night happy. Lots of people headed off for something else in the first part of the set and missed a brilliant one.
    I fell out with my mate about that set. Radiohead played songs from their at the time new album, for the first half and no-one knew them. I thought that it was the wrong thing to do at a festival but my mate loved it.

As you say, the second half saved it. More than saved it really, it was great. I heard an interview with Ed O'Brien last summer in which he said that they'd got it wrong.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I fell out with my mate about that set. Radiohead played songs from their at the time new album, for the first half and no-one knew them. I thought that it was the wrong thing to do at a festival but my mate loved it.

As you say, the second half saved it. More than saved it really, it was great. I heard an interview with Ed O'Brien last summer in which he said that they'd got it wrong.
    They were making little errors in that first part too - Thom coming in early for vocals, Jonny not giving Thom his pitch before 15 Step and as a result he was horrendously out of tune during the song. Got right down the front for that one as well and it was brilliant, but my thought in the first 45 minutes was that they'd blown an absolute open goal of a headline set.

Left feeling euphoric about how good the rest of it was though so job done, but that could and should have been a classic set.

I think it was the crowd and the state of the event two weeks after, but their set at TRNSMT was terrible. Spent the set around coked up ********s wanting to fight but the crowd never seemed into it. Shame, as 'The Bends' was great.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Blur did something similar at T in the Park 1999, the first half of the set was all new album songs, then they played some bigger hits. I loved it, but it didn’t go down that well with some of the festival crowd.

Blur did something similar at T in the Park 1999, the first half of the set was all new album songs, then they played some bigger hits. I loved it, but it didn’t go down that well with some of the festival crowd.
    The Pouges went to the playhouse after a Hibs game an d a session in the Hibs club not knowing who they were . Shane comes on bottle of whiskey in hand and starts I lasted 10 minutes and left just not for me

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    The Pouges went to the playhouse after a Hibs game an d a session in the Hibs club not knowing who they were . Shane comes on bottle of whiskey in hand and starts I lasted 10 minutes and left just not for me
    Saw the Pogues in the early 2000s at the MEN. Shane was pished out of his head, he missed more songs than he performed on, kept going off stage. Was still a decent gig though but disappointing he couldnt keep it together to do the show.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I must have seen thousands of bands over the years from Deep Purple to David Bowie and The Clash to Adel. There will be lots of gems but my memory's not what it was. Two stick out.

Queen at Knebworth '86. That was probably the best live performance in ever for me.

The Specials comeback tour 2009 i think, O2 Academy Glasgow, the atmosphere just before they came on was pure electric. Never felt an atmosphere like that before or since. The misses who was with me, she disappeared to the bar with half an hour, by the time i'd caught up wither after a couple of encores she'd found about a dozen Hibbys and a good after concert sesh was had.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Blog Entries
    Probably showing my age, but the best two gigs I’ve been to were in the last few years - Billy Joel’s sole UK gig at Wembley and the Paul Simon Farewell Tour in Glasgow.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    I must have seen thousands of bands over the years from Deep Purple to David Bowie and The Clash to Adel. There will be lots of gems but my memory's not what it was. Two stick out.

Queen at Knebworth '86. That was probably the best live performance in ever for me.

The Specials comeback tour 2009 i think, O2 Academy Glasgow, the atmosphere just before they came on was pure electric. Never felt an atmosphere like that before or since. The misses who was with me, she disappeared to the bar with half an hour, by the time i'd caught up wither after a couple of encores she'd found about a dozen Hibbys and a good after concert sesh was had.
    That Specials gig in Glasgow was absolutely bouncing, probably one of the few gigs I've been to in that place where the sound has been really good.

The only other one I can think of was the pogues , might have been 2010ish. Sound was ace and MacGowan seemed a lot less drunk and back in the form I remembered from late 80s.

Richard Thompson in 1996 at the 3B Tavern in Bellingham (WA) was a standout for me.
    I unexpectedly stumbled across a poster in the main street of this sleepy wee town advertising the gig that night. I’d seen him a few times over the years, but playing in a small bar with only Danny Thomson in accompaniment was something special. It was just so intimate with only about 50 patrons in attendance and an entry fee of ~$10....Amazing guitarist.

Here's a notable one that no-one attended (although years later some pretended to have been there.)

Joy Division poster for cancelled Edinburgh gig at the Astoria sold for £2,500. Seems really steep considering the promoter was still printing them well into the 80's in an attempt to make some cash.

https://bid.omegaauctions.co.uk/auct...ster/?lot=5265

I still have two tickets for this and am now wondering if they are worth anything.

Saw them at the Odeon but shame this didn't happen, small venue and all that. Ten days later he was a goner.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Here's a notable one that no-one attended (although years later some pretended to have been there.)

Joy Division poster for cancelled Edinburgh gig at the Astoria sold for £2,500. Seems really steep considering the promoter was still printing them well into the 80's in an attempt to make some cash.

https://bid.omegaauctions.co.uk/auct...ster/?lot=5265

I still have two tickets for this and am now wondering if they are worth anything.

Saw them at the Odeon but shame this didn't happen, small venue and all that. Ten days later he was a goner.

those tickets will definitely be worth something...beautiful iconic poster that...was the Odeon gig when Buzzcocks were the main act?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    those tickets will definitely be worth something...
    --rushes-to-old-shoe-box-smiley--

beautiful iconic poster that...was the Odeon gig when Buzzcocks were the main act?

With Buzzcocks yes, a bit sterile with a seated audience but still jaw-dropping.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post

Would love to go back in time to see them live. Notice their playing at the hydro next year but it isn't same.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Went to Leeds fest for Liam Gallaghers first proper ‘big’ performance after his 4/5 years in the wilderness
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

those tickets will definitely be worth something..

Found them. Am going to email that auction site and see what gives.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Would love to go back in time to see them live. Notice their playing at the hydro next year but it isn't same.
    Not calling you selfish or that but if I were to go back in time I think I'd try to stop WWII from happening. Horses for courses and all that

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Not calling you selfish or that but if I were to go back in time I think I'd try to stop WWII from happening. Horses for courses and all that
    Surely you'd want to stop Hearts winning the league in '86?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    I was alive then, made sure Craig’s prawn sandwich in his packed lunch box had been out in the sun for a bit.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Idles in Sneaky Petes. About 80 of an audience, but a performance that you knew you’d never see them again in such an environment. Saw them the next year in Glasgow at G2, then a year later in Dublin at Vicar Street then the Barrowlands a couple of years back. The best and most incendiary show of the lot was the date at Sneaky Petes.

We used to go to a lot of Verve gigs, and at the Cathouse in Glasgow about the mid 90’s the support was Oasis. We’d heard of them by then but none of us were really that keen on them, but you could see they were destined for big things. Never believed they would go on to be quite as big mind you.

As a Fall fan I used to go travel to many gigs every year, mostly all the Scottish dates and north of England. After having to abandon plans to stay overnight for a Friday night gig in Wakefield in 2018, a fellow Hibs fan and I drove down and back up straight afterwards in order to attend the cup tie against Celtic at Hampden the following day. Mark E Smith performed in a wheelchair and was in a sorry looking state which shocked the audience, but he was in good form. On the Monday night, I drove down to Newcastle for the next gig and then a couple of weeks later a few of us were at QMU for the next one, and for what was The Fall’s last ever show, so I was glad to have been at the final three, and thankfully, given the unpredictability of Smith, they were all absolute stormers despite performing from a wheelchair. Mark E Smith died the following year.

@hibs.net private member
    Found them. Am going to email that auction site and see what gives.

Good luck. Lovely bit of memorabilia...

First Team Breakthrough
    Anti Poll Tax concert in the Usher Hall was pretty good.

Good luck. Lovely bit of memorabilia...
    Bloke at the Auction site reckons 100-150 quid each. Hoodathunkit, am going to submit them.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Bloke at the Auction site reckons 100-150 quid each. Hoodathunkit, am going to submit them.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    Doesn’t surprise me. Won’t be many of those around. Brilliant !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Thinking about this today and the best bet would be to stop Hearts winning WW1.

The Germans wouldn't have had to go through the trauma of being fooled by the nazi gangsters, the UK would have been given a mere bloody nose and far less fatalities and the Jumbos would be a far lesser institution given how they grew to be the bigliest footballing, soccer club in the Universe on the back of their historic win.