hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Drum Park

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar

Drum Park

Found an interesting website archiuk.com which is an ordnance survey map of UK from 1888-1913 laid over a current map so you can see what an area looked like back in the day and what’s there now. If you put in EH7 5QG it’s takes you to Easter Road Stadium which is clearly marked on the map on, it looks like there was a stand on the east side of the ground and I guess the rest of the stadium would have been open? Interestingly it is called ‘Drum Park’, never heard of the ground being referred to as Drum Park before! Wondering if this is common knowledge and what the origins of this are if any club historians can help.
    Map also clearly shows the ground just inside the Leith side boundary between Leith/Edinburgh.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Found an interesting website archiuk.com which is an ordnance survey map of UK from 1888-1913 laid over a current map so you can see what an area looked like back in the day and what’s there now. If you put in EH7 5QG it’s takes you to Easter Road Stadium which is clearly marked on the map on, it looks like there was a stand on the east side of the ground and I guess the rest of the stadium would have been open? Interestingly it is called ‘Drum Park’, never heard of the ground being referred to as Drum Park before! Wondering if this is common knowledge and what the origins of this are if any club historians can help.
    Map also clearly shows the ground just inside the Leith side boundary between Leith/Edinburgh.
    I have the feeling that the position of the original ground moved when Hibs took permanent ownership of the land and commenced rebuilding. I'm hoping quoting your post makes the link accessible. It's just ordinary type for me.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    Link working.

The map shows the old stadium is in Leith. The stand is on the east side of the ground.

https://www.archiuk.com/cgi-bin/buil...code=EH7%205QG

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Drum Terrace is the dead end (geddit?) street that takes you to the Easter Cemetery. Maybe there was an estate or farm with the name in the area at one time?

Thanks for posting that. It shows some old street names which no longer exist. My father grew up in the area and would mention them. This map looks like it pre dates the railway line that ran along the back of the stadium and down to where Leith Academy is and the old Leith Central station
    Looking at the map there seems to be a railway station on Easter Road.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 17-02-2021 at 12:58 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    old-maps.co.uk is a good resource for old maps. A bit clunky but lots of editions of maps

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    That's the wrong Drum Park

Oh! My bad.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    That's the wrong Drum Park

I scored two absolute screamers there. First was a howitzer from about 25 yards, never before or after did I strike a ball so cleanly. Second was an overhead kick right in the postage stamp - that one was probably luck more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Thanks for posting that. It shows some old street names which no longer exist. My father grew up in the area and would mention them. This map looks like it pre dates the railway line that ran along the back of the stadium and down to where Leith Academy is and the old Leith Central station
    Looking at the map there seems to be a railway station on Easter Road.
    When Leith was forced into merger with |Edinburgh in 1920, there were a fair number of streets that needed renamed because they already had them in Edinburgh. Albany St became Portland St, Charlotte St became Queen Charlotte St etc. I suppose the slum clearances of the 60's also did for some Leith streets, particularly around the Shore and off the Kirkgate.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    When Leith was forced into merger with |Edinburgh in 1920, there were a fair number of streets that needed renamed because they already had them in Edinburgh. Albany St became Portland St, Charlotte St became Queen Charlotte St etc. I suppose the slum clearances of the 60's also did for some Leith streets, particularly around the Shore and off the Kirkgate.
    My dad lived in East William Street which was next to East Thomas Street on the map. There are quite a lot of industry around the area on the map,and Mcdonald road did not exist. Love looking at stuff like this.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I think Drum Park was what the park was called prior to Hibs taking a lease out on it in 1892 (ish) and creating what is now Easter Road after we had taken a year out for one thing or another, namely having no money and nowhere to play. I think our first game there as a friendly against Clyde.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    I think Drum Park was what the park was called prior to Hibs taking a lease out on it in 1892 (ish) and creating what is now Easter Road after we had taken a year out for one thing or another, namely having no money and nowhere to play. I think our first game there as a friendly against Clyde.
    Lugton's book confirms both

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcM View Post
    Oh! My bad.

Och, you were only a few miles out. No big deal

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Although you often read this it was long after the merger that street names changed.Albany Street for example was in the 1960s if not later.It wasn’t all one way.Pitt Street in Edinburgh was added onto and became Dundas Street to differentiate it from Pitt Street Leith. The cemetery in Drum Terrace was of course always known as the dead centre(not sure where of).

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Although you often read this it was long after the merger that street names changed.Albany Street for example was in the 1960s if not later.It wasn’t all one way.Pitt Street in Edinburgh was added onto and became Dundas Street to differentiate it from Pitt Street Leith. The cemetery in Drum Terrace was of course always known as the dead centre(not sure where of).
    Yep. My Dad was born in George Street in Leith. But it was a long time before it became North Fort Street.

@hibs.net private member
    Dublin Street was originally going to be called Hibernia Street !

@hibs.net private member
    My dad lived in East William Street which was next to East Thomas Street on the map. There are quite a lot of industry around the area on the map,and Mcdonald road did not exist. Love looking at stuff like this.
    My family was from East Thomas Street. That area has changed at least twice since that came down

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Dublin Street was originally going to be called Hibernia Street !
    Could be a good street name if they have to rename Dundas St.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Not entirely related but nearby, the Easter Road end of Albert Street was once called Tait Street, Indeed up until the mid 70s the Post Office was called Tait Street PO and Hibs had a club development shop next door to it, maybe up until we opened the shop under the stand in or around 73/74?
    I'd love to strip back what's on those shopfronts to see if there's a Hibernian 'ghost sign' under there. I'm sure I can see green flaky paint.

Another curio entirely unrelated - that Post Office was run by Sean Connery's family and I went to school with a couple of them, Leithers.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Not entirely related but nearby, the Easter Road end of Albert Street was once called Tait Street, Indeed up until the mid 70s the Post Office was called Tait Street PO and Hibs had a club development shop next door to it, maybe up until we opened the shop under the stand in or around 73/74?
    I'd love to strip back what's on those shopfronts to see if there's a Hibernian 'ghost sign' under there. I'm sure I can see green flaky paint.

Another curio entirely unrelated - that Post Office was run by Sean Connery's family and I went to school with a couple of them, Leithers.
    I am sure that Tait Street has been engraved on one of the stones of the buildings above the shop fronts. On the map there is also Tait Place at the Easter Road end of the road end of brunswick Road.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 17-02-2021 at 08:13 PM.

I am sure that Tait Street has been engraved on one of the stones of the buildings above the shop fronts. On the map there is also Tait Place at the Easter Road end of the road end of brunswick Road.
    Makes sense GB. All the Brunswicks, Alberts and that with Taits and St Clairs! I love stuff like this and I'll keep an eye out for that carved slab!

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post

I bought my first Hibs scarf in a Hibs shop in Albert Street back in the early 70s. Horrible nylon thing, but lasted me years!

Quote Originally Posted by hibbie02 View Post
    I bought my first Hibs scarf in a Hibs shop in Albert Street back in the early 70s. Horrible nylon thing, but lasted me years!
    Same place. They called them silk scarves of course.
    The shop had a hand painted wooden plaque on display that commemorated the 2-0 win v Real Madrid in 1964. This later ended up in the Hibs Club games room and I hope it's still there somewhere. There were also a couple of large framed photos of celebrated Hibs sides.

I used to go in and stare at stuff until they chased me out!