hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genre defining

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Genre defining

Post up titles of films, TV, books, songs/albums that aren’t necessarily the best in class, but would be considered genre defining.

For example :

Sci-fi: Star Wars (might even have to categorise that more specifically)

Horror: Psycho

Britpop: Common People

Etc.

Particularly keen to hear from people with a particular passion for the genre, as I’ll check out the definitive title for some!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Prequels - Manhunter (Silence of the Lambs).
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 15-02-2021 at 11:11 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    This is difficult as I never really think much about genres. But I'd say the definitive Britpop album would be Definitely Maybe and single Cigarettes and Alcohol although well down the list in my personal favourites which would probably be headed by The Bluetones' Expecting To Fly for album.

Music video - Flowered Up - Weekender

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would have thought Thriller was the genre defining video.

Having said that, I'm not familiar with Flowered Up. I'll watch it on my TV later.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Mafia movies - The Godfather
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Punk album - Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Mafia movies - The Godfather
    Not sure I can agree with this - one of the best mafia films ever made? Sure. Set the standard for all contemporary mafia movies? Fine.

There's an entire library of exceptional mafia films that significantly pre-date the Godfather trilogy though.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Not sure I can agree with this - one of the best mafia films ever made? Sure. Set the standard for all contemporary mafia movies? Fine.

There's an entire library of exceptional mafia films that significantly pre-date the Godfather trilogy though.
    How are you defining "genre defining" if not by your second point?

Gamer IDs

How are you defining "genre defining" if not by your latter point?
    Actually a very good question, if a little academic in its nature.

I'm thinking of the forerunners - without whom, later, more well recognised efforts simply wouldn't exist.

I'm thinking of the forerunners - without whom, later, more well recognised efforts simply wouldn't exist.
    To me genre defining means something excellent which contains all the elements of the genre.

Something you'd look to if you wanted to understand what a film genre was about.

For example, there are thousands of war films, but I'd suggest that the comparitively recent Apocalypse Now was a candidate for that genre's defining title.

Anyway, unless you can offer a specific title to usurp it, The Godfather gets the nod. (G1 definitely, probably G2 but maybe not the third.)
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 16-02-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I've also heard Weekender described as era defining.

It's the era just before mine so I wouldn't really be able to comment but it's probably the era I most wanted to be part of and wasn't a million miles from mine so it was still reasonably familiar.

Even the bit at the start with the radio on...

I love it. Absolutely love it.

Funnily enough re Britpop - I'd say Pulp and Different Class have ended up being era defining. Or genre defining.

Gamer IDs

To me genre defining means something excellent which contains all the elements of the genre.

Something you'd look to if you wanted to understand what a film genre was about.

For example, there are thousands of war films, but I'd suggest that the comparitively recent Apocalypse Now was a candidate for that genre's defining title.

Anyway, unless you can offer a specific title to usurp it, The Godfather gets the nod. (G1 definitely, probably G2 but maybe not the third.)
    Fair enough, I'd accept that under your definition! I was thinking along the lines of films like The Public Enemy, or Angels with Dirty Faces, but I can see your point

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

Getting really academic now ....

One could say "without the blues, no Stones", "without black soul, no Beatles"... "without gospel, neither" and......"without God, none of the above"

I HATE the term "genre". It smacks of upyererse NME journalists from the 70's and 80's, many of whom went on to become upyererse "commentators" in the 21st Century. Not that I'm bitter......

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Godfather is definitely genre defining for mafia movies (as The Sopranos is for the tv series).

For me, genre defining is anything from best-in-class to first one of think of or most associated with, to groundbreaking.

Thriller is definitely a genre-defining video in terms of music videos as well (though there will be others that fit the bill as well).
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Not a 'genre' as such but Jurassic Park set the standard for CGI when it came out as did Toy Story for animated films.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Godfather is definitely genre defining for mafia movies (as The Sopranos is for the tv series).
    I can't profess to have seen every gangster movie which preceded the Godfather, the ones I have seen, like Angels with Dirty Faces, White Heat etc, weren't really about the Mafia. They were about crime or the individuals responsible for it.

Both the productions you highlight, aren't about crime. They're about relationships, honour, betrayal, Family and family, and power.

Coincidentally, I spent the weekend watching G1 and G2 with Mrs R because she'd never seen them before. They're still awesome. Apart from maybe being a bit slower than you'd expect nowadays, they've not really dated.

What's the name of that filming style which was popular in the 60s and 70s when it's more observational than character focused? In the group scenes in the Godfather, like the weddings and funerals, it's used perfectly.

I know. I know. I should start a Godfather thread.

Good subject Matty 👍

I would have thought the genre defining Punk record was London Calling, by The Clash.

I realise lots of punk rockers (like our very own Iggy) would have songs they prefer, but for the general public, that really defined the whole era.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I would have thought the genre defining Punk record was London Calling, by The Clash.

I realise lots of punk rockers (like our very own Iggy) would have songs they prefer, but for the general public, that really defined the whole era.
    Has to be Never Mind The Bollocks. London Calling was issued over 2 years later and for me, punk was over by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Has to be Never Mind The Bollocks. London Calling was issued over 2 years later and for me, punk was over by then.

Fair enough, I have no problem admitting that other people know punk a lot better than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I'm not sure I think it was over, but it was changing and that was inevitable.

You could argue that The Clash (1) was genre defining, you could certainly make a case for it, but even that was probably too eclectic.

Never Mind the Bollocks still gets my vote. Even the title tells you what you need to know.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 16-02-2021 at 03:33 PM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Nevermind - Nirvana. IMO (and I realise that there would be queues the size of cities to argue otherwise) it's a 7/10 album but it captured the mood of a movement. The likes of Pixies, Mudhoney etc. were far better bands, but Nevermind is the one on all the posters.

Arctic Monkeys debut album, Tracey Emin's unmade bed (an artist who I admire, but that has defined the whole genre of what she does.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    2020 is the first year since the early 2000's that I've not been to a music festival and although I've been six or seven times, Glastonbury is the defining festival in the UK and it's brilliant, but it's no longer the best. The last ten years have seen too few new acts coming through with the potential to headline a large festival and as the festival has grown, the possibility of someone like Foals or Elbow or someone like that to headline has diminished. Stormzy managed it without anyone else pulling out and that was a great show, the sort of thing that makes or breaks artists and festivals reputation, but it's becoming too reliant on the past to fulfil its future. Similarly, if you want to book a big act it's not uncommon for the demand to be "If you book this, this and this act we want to get more exposure and give them a spot on a big stage, then we'll listen" and you end up with an unbalanced line-up.

As Spotify changes the landscape of popular music (look at how long something like Mr. Brightside was in the streaming charts, over a decade after it was originally released) it becomes harder for good, talented new acts to become "huge". As such I genuinely think there is more of what makes a festival great - giving a big stage to lesser known acts, discovering new artists from new genres you'd not heard before and the like in the smaller festivals in the UK. For the larger scale acts something like Bearded Theory has a great depth in variety, and up here something like Doune the Rabbit Hole is fabulous. They're less reliant on pleasing record labels so the main stages generally have more thought put into them too.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Iron Man

There were plenty of superhero movies before this and some of those are arguably above Iron Man in terms of quality (The Dark Knight, Spiderman 2 for example) but the whole shared universe aspect of the Marvel movies, starting with Iron Man is something that has defined not just the superhero genre but has also influenced entertainment media as a whole with every other franchise from Harry Potter to Star Wars trying to emulate that format with spin-offs and interconnecting stories across multiple films / TV shows / Books etc.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Modern Scottish literature: Lanark by Alasdair Gray. Pretty much everything, good and bad, is in there one way or another.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Not sure exactly which Genre these films fall into exactly but The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption would be categorised simply as Prison movies, but I think that does them a disservice they were also epic stories.

Run DMC by Run DMC (obviously) ushered in the era of 'new school' rap. I'd argue It Take a Million To Hold Us Back by Public Enemy surpassed it in quality a couple of years later. In the same vein The Chronic by Dr Dre for gangsta rap and the later G funk. It got rid of excessive drum machines and sampling and replaced it with studio recorded music.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Music Video - Duran Duran, Rio
    Electronic Music - Violator by Depeche Mode
    Olympic Games Opening Ceremonies - Los Angeles ‘84
    80’s Brat Pack films - Breakfast Club
    Horror Film - I Spit on Your Grave
    Jinx busting sports teams - Hibs 2016

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Western - The Good The Bad & The Ugly

Police Thriller - Dirty Harry

Buddy Cop - Lethal Weapon

Not necessarily the first in their genres but probably genre defining IMO.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Children's literature has to be Harry Potter for the last few generations at least.