hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What difference does that make to his value to Hibs. Folk were coming out with similar lines when McGeouch was leaving and 2.5 years later we’ve still never adequately replaced what he brought to the team.
    As I said elsewhere, hopefully Scott Allan can step in or maybe Jackson Irvine. Players leave Hibs. That’s the basic fact. I’ll never worry about Joe Newell leaving Hibs.

John Collins leaving = gutted
    Franck Sauzee leaving = gutted
    John McGinn leaving = gutted
    Joe Newell leaving = meh, opportunity for someone else

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Ok I stand corrected. A substantial amount of his games were from the bench.

I’m not having a pop at Joe Newell. If he signs then good, if he leaves, so be it. There will be equally good or better available. Hopefully a fit Scott Allan will take over or perhaps Jackson Irvine? Or we let Joe Newell go and sign the Motherwell lad.
    Newell has been a better player this season than Campbell, who I presume you are talking about.

Newell may chose to leave but we certainly will not be letting him go.

Having to pay nearly £500k for Campbell there would not be much value in that particular ‘swap’.

It is amazing we still think our best players can be replaced just like that.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Newell has been a better player this season than Campbell, who I presume you are talking about.

Having to pay nearly £500k for Campbell there would not be much value in that particular ‘swap’.

I don’t read other football teams fans forums, but I sometimes do wonder if they’re all similar to ours. I just have no idea why there are Hibs fans who are so willing to talk down our own players, while at the same time talking up players at other teams who aren’t even good enough for us (not Campbell, who’s obviously a good player).

Left by mutual consent!

If Newell wants to head back down south for a better offer, there is nothing the club can do surely?

Surely with Campbell, you speculate to accumulate? Pay £500k in the summer and sell him 2 years later . A bit like the scenario with Nisbet?

Newell took a bit to settle but Hecky playing him wide right didn't help when it's obvious he's better through the middle. He's a pretty decent player when he does turn up, he cost us nothing and if he leaves so be it, I have no idea what we've offered him, it may be less than what he's on just now due to Covid, although decent he's not irreplaceable, he's a good player for our level.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    When he’s been on it Newell has been excellent, been posted missing in quite a few games though imo and I’m not convinced he’s worthy of being one of our highest earners. Fact is he’s not played in a few weeks and I don’t think we’ve really missed him.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Is almost £500k what we’d have to pay in compensation because of Campbell’s age? Where did you see the £500k figure?

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Murphy won the league cup with us 👍
    of course he did..how could I forget, I was there. Doh !

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Not wanting to derail the thread too much but some of the criticism of doidge is OTT.

His one on one finishing is poor and he doesn't look too comfortable dribbling with the ball at his feet, but his work rate, movement, hold up play and Arial ability more than make up for that imo. Think folk saying he has an atrocius first touch are being too harsh as well.

How many mediocre to terrible target men type of strikers have we had over the years? James Collins, kuqi, trakys, matelevicius, Holt etc.

Even when he isn't scoring you can clearly see the quakities he brings to the team, the fluid front three of recent weeks with Murphy and Boyle looked much better when doidge was the number 9 over nisbet.

If he was a consistent finisher no way would he be at hibs, he'd be banging them in in the championship on 15k

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I don’t read other football teams fans forums, but I sometimes do wonder if they’re all similar to ours. I just have no idea why there are Hibs fans who are so willing to talk down our own players, while at the same time talking up players at other teams who aren’t even good enough for us (not Campbell, who’s obviously a good player).
    I don’t frequent them myself but I’m sure many Celtic fans will have various thoughts on their team’s performances and individual players. The Dons website will have plenty to say and Motherwells will be interesting after getting humped from Accies.

To think it’s only Hibs fans who have varying thoughts about the benefits of individual players is very simplistic.

Gamer IDs

I don’t frequent them myself but I’m sure many Celtic fans will have various thoughts on their team’s performances and individual players. The Dons website will have plenty to say and Motherwells will be interesting after getting humped from Accies.

To think it’s only Hibs fans who have varying thoughts about the benefits of individual players is very simplistic.
    That’s not what I said.

I’ve seen Doidge get slated on Hibs.net, then I’ve seen folk say we should be after Bakamba at Killie, or Stewart at Ross County. Hanlon and Porteous getting laid into, then people saying we should go for Guthrie at Livi or Kerr at St Johnstone. Last season Horgan was getting ripped, and there were folk saying we should go for that Durmas boy at St Mirren.

We don’t seem to value the players we have, who have us 3rd in the table, and seem to give praise to players who are far worse options.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    If Newell wants to head back down south for a better offer, there is nothing the club can do surely?

Surely with Campbell, you speculate to accumulate? Pay £500k in the summer and sell him 2 years later . A bit like the scenario with Nisbet?
    Personally don't think Campbell is anywhere near as good a player as Newell. 500k for him would be insanity.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Personally don't think Campbell is anywhere near as good a player as Newell. 500k for him would be insanity.
    I like Campbell, and would be very happy to get him, but he’s not a £500k player just now.

I’m not even convinced he’s a better player than Greg Docherty.

I like Campbell, and would be very happy to get him, but he’s not a £500k player just now.

Docherty far better imo. More of an athlete and powerful.

Is Campbell not out of contract in summer? why would he be 500k?

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Is Campbell not out of contract in summer? why would he be 500k?
    Development fee.
    Might be closer to £400k.
    Even if Hibs are willing to pay it Campbell will choose to go to the English 2nd tier and hook himself a big fat life changing contract and a cheeky signing on fee into the bargain.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 16-02-2021 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    When he’s been on it Newell has been excellent, been posted missing in quite a few games though imo and I’m not convinced he’s worthy of being one of our highest earners. Fact is he’s not played in a few weeks and I don’t think we’ve really missed him.
    Personally I think we have missed him at times but the other qualities Ross has brought into the squad through Cadden and Irvine have given us a different dimension. When we were scrapping away at St Mirren and Dundee Utd (games we won admittedly!) there were times I felt we were crying out for some composure in the middle of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I agree with all of that. Remember reading Rotherham's forum when we signed him and it was almost that word for word. I'd like him to stay as he's a good player but if we're priced out wages wise then so be it.

Left by mutual consent!

Fair assessment mate but Dochetry is gone and out our bracket. Campbell has a lot of potential in the McGinn/McGeaough category, would hate for someone else to take him.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    Fair assessment mate but Dochetry is gone and out our bracket. Campbell has a lot of potential in the McGinn/McGeaough category, would hate for someone else to take him.
    Is he really though, from the few times i have seen him he's not really stood out at all?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Is he really though, from the few times i have seen him he's not really stood out at all?
    I really think so. In the way the boy Celtic took the laddie from them.

He's another one along with Findlay at Kilmarnock who i thought would be great at Hibs but watching them both this season when i have been able to haven't been overly impressed.

Campbell is still very young and played alot of football. Im still sure he will go on and be fairly successful.

Ditto never been hugely impressed. Think Turnbull made him look better than he is.

@hibs.net private member
    Joe has been a cracking player for us ever since he got through the rocky start he had when played as a winger. I don't agree with those who hold he's been bang average much of the time - he's been consistently our best midfielder as reflected by his constant presence in the starting lineup until recent injury.

Also I don't agree that he's as good as gone. Hibs is a great club to be at and with (hopefully) Europe on the horizon, there's every chance that Joe could see his immediate future at ER. Everybody and his dog had Martin Boyle sold off to the highest bidder last summer and well ... it didn't happen - did it???

I acknowledge that other clubs can pay a lot more than Hibs and this might turn out to be a big factor - but it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings and she is nowhere near waddling onto the stage just yet - there's a long way to go.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Heckingbottom made him look a poor player with his tactics.

The difference now is worlds apart now that JR has seen his strengths.

I want him to stay just to see how he and Scott Allan can play off each other and feed Doidge, Boyle and Nisbet. If that can happen the potential is mouth-watering.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Also I don't agree that he's as good as gone. Hibs is a great club to be at and with (hopefully) Europe on the horizon, there's every chance that Joe could see his immediate future at ER.
    I agree he’s not as good as gone.

He might go and get a few quid extra but seeing folk suggesting he might go and get 4 or 5 times what we can pay (which would be £15-20k a week) is crazy talk IMO. He’s a decent player but I don’t think he’s commanding huge money and I’m not sure he’s getting a better club than Hibs.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Development fee.
    Might be closer to £400k.
    Even if Hibs are willing to pay it Campbell will choose to go to the English 2nd tier and hook himself a big fat life changing contract and a cheeky signing on fee into the bargain.
    No change they will get anywhere near 400k the guys isn’t an international player, played plenty times for under 21s but Cadden got a Scotland cap while at Motherwell and they only got just over 100k for him

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    That last game at Fir park he was in Newell's back pocket.

Some folk on here talk about Newell as if he has no defensive nous and can't tackle but he took the ball from Campbell several times that match including a couple big slide tackles. Also dribbled past him several times as well, Campbell couldn't get near him.
    Last edited by Fergus52; 17-02-2021 at 06:56 AM.

There were murmurs at the start of the season that we needed to see more from Joe in big games.

He was excellent at Ibrox at Christmas I thought, and we need as many players as possible who are able to stand tall at venues like that.

I really hope he stays.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    No change they will get anywhere near 400k the guys isn’t an international player, played plenty times for under 21s but Cadden got a Scotland cap while at Motherwell and they only got just over 100k for him
    Cadden went straight to the states no? So they didn't have to pay the full development fee.

His length of time at Motherwell combined with his under 21 caps and amount of first team appearances all drive the development fee up, it'll be about as expensive as it can get in Scotland so 400k seems about right.