hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Joe Newell contract

Anyone else get the feeling he isn’t going to sign on?

2. Log in to remove the advert

If it ment keeping Irvine I wouldn't care.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it ment keeping Irvine I wouldn't care.
    I can see your point here but I’d like to see Irvine and Newall play together as well. Could be a superb pairing.

Love to see him stay but if not we will move on. The King is dead, long live the King and all that.....

@hibs.net private member
    I think he'll be away. If we lose him and Jackson in the summer it'll be a huge blow so I'm just trying to enjoy them while I can.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Guaranteed European group stage football could be a very attractive incentive to a number of players if we achieve 3rd place.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    No disrespect but money talks. For most professional footballers that's the main driver.

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    No disrespect but money talks. For most professional footballers that's the main driver.
    Definitely.

I think Newell might get a wee bit more money at an English club. I don’t think it’ll be a life changing difference and I don’t think he’ll get a better club than Hibs though.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Guaranteed European group stage football could be a very attractive incentive to a number of players if we achieve 3rd place.
    Isn’t that the only case if the Scottish cup doesn’t go ahead? I know if it does and Celtic / Rangers or us win it the it wouldn’t matter anyway

He came from Rotherham in the championship so he'll have been on very decent cash down there and I'd assume be one of our higher earners, he's a decent player but not irreplaceable, the one bonus is he's a lefty which we haven't got a lot of.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I hope Joe re-signs, I'm sure he saw playing in Scotland as a short term opportunity to progressing his career. He's done well for us, does us a favour signing a new contract as it mean if a club comes in for him they will have to pay a decent rate if he's under contract. From a personal pov he continually improves which means he attracts a better club and the added bonus of playing European football must be appealing and considered a major plus point.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    Yup and the club will be in a stronger position to offer increased wages and bonuses to players if group stage European football is guaranteed for next season.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Did Boyle not make a joke about it in an interview or something?

That would seem promising to me.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I’d like him to stay, and it depends on what happens with Irvine, but I don’t think Newell is as integral as he was pre January. He’s got a job on his hands to get back in the team.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Yup and the club will be in a stronger position to offer increased wages and bonuses to players if group stage European football is guaranteed for next season.
    I agree with that and also think they may take a gamble on Newell and look to tie up Irvine if they think Nisbet and/or Porteous are to be sold at the end of the season.

Testimonial Due
    Wages not great at Rotherham - see below. Don't think he has done enough to get a contract with a bigger championship side.

Think he will be trying to maximize sal
    ary and length of contract at Hibs.

https://footballleaguefc.com/rotherham-united-2player-wages/

Newell and Irvine could get more money down south, but what they won't get is a chance to play in Europe.

So I'd consider offering both a one year deal to keep both sides happy. We get them for another year, and they would still be free agents after it. Good performances in Europe could see them get a better club or contract than they would this summer.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

First Team Breakthrough
    Would love to keep Newall and Irvine but think that keeping one of them is the most likely scenario.Two different styles of player but ultimately keeping hold of Irvine is the priority particularly if Scott Allen can regain fitness and form..

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I like Newell but I'm not sure he's done anything he wasn't already doing down the road so no guarantees the offers are better there than they were before.

Every chance he stays on.

I think he'll hang off until he sees where we're going to finish. Potential Europa League group stages will see him stay imo.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I think he'll hang off until he sees where we're going to finish. Potential Europa League group stages will see him stay imo.
    Good shout. Likely his only chance for European football

He might get more money but he will not get a better club.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Newell and Irvine could get more money down south, but what they won't get is a chance to play in Europe.

So I'd consider offering both a one year deal to keep both sides happy. We get them for another year, and they would still be free agents after it. Good performances in Europe could see them get a better club or contract than they would this summer.
    Not sure the idea of playing a few games in Europe will make a difference to their decision.

Especially not in Irvine’s case who has already played allover the world for Oz, including 3 World Cup finals appearances.

Ithink they will both get offers from championship sides that are 4 or 5 times what they get at Hibs, so think they will be back down the road in the summer.

I also hope I am 100% wrong, and that something can be done to keep them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Not sure the idea of playing a few games in Europe will make a difference to their decision.

Especially not in Irvine’s case who has already played allover the world for Oz, including 3 World Cup finals appearances.

Ithink they will both get offers from championship sides that are 4 or 5 times what they get at Hibs, so think they will be back down the road in the summer.

I think Newell might get more money than Hibs can pay, but not 4-5 times as much. That would put him on £15k or so a week and he’s not that good a player. I know the championship has a bit of money but the average wage is skewed massively between what the top and bottom teams pay.

If he leaves he leaves. I like him he’s been one of our better players this season but strangely enough that being said I think he’s replaceable and wouldn’t bother me too much if he decided to leave. I’d rather keep him but if not won’t be devastated.

He probably wants to see where we end up this season before making a decision. If we get into the Europa League or Europa Conference group stages then I think he will stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post

If they could get four or five times what we can pay them then why did Newell sign for us in the first place? He's not been that impressive as much as I like him as a player and why was Irvine without a club at all for six months?
    Surely if they were that good then they wouldn't be at hibs earning a quarter or a fifth of what championship clubs can pay
    Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Schadenfreude is not something I take any pleasure in, however there are some recent examples that act as a good warning to players that the 'poker' game of holding out does not always end well.....I think of Fraser Fyvie and Efe Ambrose who left us for better deals elsewhere that didn't materialise, or Stephen O'Donnell who turned down an extension at Killie for a couple of temporary contracts at Motherwell.
    Newell has been decent but hasn't stood out, not enough anyway. When other clubs came poking about in the last window it wasn't him they were looking at. The kind of money that was being talked about for our star performers shows that England still doesn't rate Scottish football that highly, if Newell moves it will be because some lower championship side want a squad player or it will be League 1.....to make matters worse for him, COVID means the amount of money kicking about is much reduced at those levels.
    If Hibs have put an offer on the table he should be thinking seriously about picking up that pen......there may not be a better offer and we could find better in the meantime.

Newell was another to take his time to find his feet at Hibs his form has been up and down like many others, some games he's been excellent and looks the best player on the pitch, the next game could easily pass him by and he's been a passenger. This has been seen in Hallberg and Mallan and one of the main reasons our performances are so inconsistent but we are Hibs and until we pay bigger wages inconsistent players like Newell, Hallberg, Mallan, Doidge, Horgan, Slivka etc, are who we will get into the club.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Whether he signs or doesn't want to sign, the sooner that is clear the better. That leaves Jack Ross in the best place to manage the situation properly and to the best advantage of the club.