hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 214
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    1,193

    Joe Newell contract

    Anyone else get the feeling he isnít going to sign on?


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    If it ment keeping Irvine I wouldn't care.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,926
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it ment keeping Irvine I wouldn't care.
    I can see your point here but Iíd like to see Irvine and Newall play together as well. Could be a superb pairing.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member HoboHarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,096
    Love to see him stay but if not we will move on. The King is dead, long live the King and all that.....

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,548
    I think he'll be away. If we lose him and Jackson in the summer it'll be a huge blow so I'm just trying to enjoy them while I can.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,519
    Guaranteed European group stage football could be a very attractive incentive to a number of players if we achieve 3rd place.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,826
    No disrespect but money talks. For most professional footballers that's the main driver.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No disrespect but money talks. For most professional footballers that's the main driver.
    Definitely.

    I think Newell might get a wee bit more money at an English club. I donít think itíll be a life changing difference and I donít think heíll get a better club than Hibs though.

  10. #9
    Testimonial Due Edinburgh_Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,044
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guaranteed European group stage football could be a very attractive incentive to a number of players if we achieve 3rd place.
    Isnít that the only case if the Scottish cup doesnít go ahead? I know if it does and Celtic / Rangers or us win it the it wouldnít matter anyway

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,184
    He came from Rotherham in the championship so he'll have been on very decent cash down there and I'd assume be one of our higher earners, he's a decent player but not irreplaceable, the one bonus is he's a lefty which we haven't got a lot of.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,432
    I hope Joe re-signs, I'm sure he saw playing in Scotland as a short term opportunity to progressing his career. He's done well for us, does us a favour signing a new contract as it mean if a club comes in for him they will have to pay a decent rate if he's under contract. From a personal pov he continually improves which means he attracts a better club and the added bonus of playing European football must be appealing and considered a major plus point.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,519
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No disrespect but money talks. For most professional footballers that's the main driver.
    Yup and the club will be in a stronger position to offer increased wages and bonuses to players if group stage European football is guaranteed for next season.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Leith Links/Glasgow
    Posts
    1,898
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Did Boyle not make a joke about it in an interview or something?

    That would seem promising to me.

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,015
    Iíd like him to stay, and it depends on what happens with Irvine, but I donít think Newell is as integral as he was pre January. Heís got a job on his hands to get back in the team.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup and the club will be in a stronger position to offer increased wages and bonuses to players if group stage European football is guaranteed for next season.
    I agree with that and also think they may take a gamble on Newell and look to tie up Irvine if they think Nisbet and/or Porteous are to be sold at the end of the season.

  17. #16
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3,827
    Wages not great at Rotherham - see below. Don't think he has done enough to get a contract with a bigger championship side.

    Think he will be trying to maximize sal
    ary and length of contract at Hibs.

    https://footballleaguefc.com/rotherham-united-2player-wages/

  18. #17
    Solipsist Eyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    PDSBRS
    Posts
    9,841
    Newell and Irvine could get more money down south, but what they won't get is a chance to play in Europe.

    So I'd consider offering both a one year deal to keep both sides happy. We get them for another year, and they would still be free agents after it. Good performances in Europe could see them get a better club or contract than they would this summer.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

  19. #18
    Would love to keep Newall and Irvine but think that keeping one of them is the most likely scenario.Two different styles of player but ultimately keeping hold of Irvine is the priority particularly if Scott Allen can regain fitness and form..

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,125
    I like Newell but I'm not sure he's done anything he wasn't already doing down the road so no guarantees the offers are better there than they were before.

    Every chance he stays on.

  21. #20
    I think he'll hang off until he sees where we're going to finish. Potential Europa League group stages will see him stay imo.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he'll hang off until he sees where we're going to finish. Potential Europa League group stages will see him stay imo.
    Good shout. Likely his only chance for European football

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member 3pm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,831
    He might get more money but he will not get a better club.

  24. #23
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Newell and Irvine could get more money down south, but what they won't get is a chance to play in Europe.

    So I'd consider offering both a one year deal to keep both sides happy. We get them for another year, and they would still be free agents after it. Good performances in Europe could see them get a better club or contract than they would this summer.
    Not sure the idea of playing a few games in Europe will make a difference to their decision.

    Especially not in Irvineís case who has already played allover the world for Oz, including 3 World Cup finals appearances.

    Ithink they will both get offers from championship sides that are 4 or 5 times what they get at Hibs, so think they will be back down the road in the summer.

    I also hope I am 100% wrong, and that something can be done to keep them here.

  25. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure the idea of playing a few games in Europe will make a difference to their decision.

    Especially not in Irvineís case who has already played allover the world for Oz, including 3 World Cup finals appearances.

    Ithink they will both get offers from championship sides that are 4 or 5 times what they get at Hibs, so think they will be back down the road in the summer.

    I also hope I am 100% wrong, and that something can be done to keep them here.
    I think Newell might get more money than Hibs can pay, but not 4-5 times as much. That would put him on £15k or so a week and heís not that good a player. I know the championship has a bit of money but the average wage is skewed massively between what the top and bottom teams pay.

  26. #25
    Coaching Staff SMAXXA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    5,614
    If he leaves he leaves. I like him heís been one of our better players this season but strangely enough that being said I think heís replaceable and wouldnít bother me too much if he decided to leave. Iíd rather keep him but if not wonít be devastated.

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    2,356
    He probably wants to see where we end up this season before making a decision. If we get into the Europa League or Europa Conference group stages then I think he will stay.

  28. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure the idea of playing a few games in Europe will make a difference to their decision.

    Especially not in Irvineís case who has already played allover the world for Oz, including 3 World Cup finals appearances.

    Ithink they will both get offers from championship sides that are 4 or 5 times what they get at Hibs, so think they will be back down the road in the summer.

    I also hope I am 100% wrong, and that something can be done to keep them here.
    If they could get four or five times what we can pay them then why did Newell sign for us in the first place? He's not been that impressive as much as I like him as a player and why was Irvine without a club at all for six months?
    Surely if they were that good then they wouldn't be at hibs earning a quarter or a fifth of what championship clubs can pay
    Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

  29. #28
    Schadenfreude is not something I take any pleasure in, however there are some recent examples that act as a good warning to players that the 'poker' game of holding out does not always end well.....I think of Fraser Fyvie and Efe Ambrose who left us for better deals elsewhere that didn't materialise, or Stephen O'Donnell who turned down an extension at Killie for a couple of temporary contracts at Motherwell.
    Newell has been decent but hasn't stood out, not enough anyway. When other clubs came poking about in the last window it wasn't him they were looking at. The kind of money that was being talked about for our star performers shows that England still doesn't rate Scottish football that highly, if Newell moves it will be because some lower championship side want a squad player or it will be League 1.....to make matters worse for him, COVID means the amount of money kicking about is much reduced at those levels.
    If Hibs have put an offer on the table he should be thinking seriously about picking up that pen......there may not be a better offer and we could find better in the meantime.

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,184
    Newell was another to take his time to find his feet at Hibs his form has been up and down like many others, some games he's been excellent and looks the best player on the pitch, the next game could easily pass him by and he's been a passenger. This has been seen in Hallberg and Mallan and one of the main reasons our performances are so inconsistent but we are Hibs and until we pay bigger wages inconsistent players like Newell, Hallberg, Mallan, Doidge, Horgan, Slivka etc, are who we will get into the club.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Last Train to Skaville
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,677
    Whether he signs or doesn't want to sign, the sooner that is clear the better. That leaves Jack Ross in the best place to manage the situation properly and to the best advantage of the club.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)