hibs.net Messageboard

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1107
    Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are the team that has given them far and away their toughest games this season. And let's not forget that we have been in the wrong end of ****ing diabolical refereeing decisions in every game as well. And we all know that these things even themselves out🙄
    Let's pray a Knight of Columbus refs the final.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I don't understand why we seem to struggle against St Johnstone more often than not in the league. They're a bog standard side with very little about them to be worried about on paper anyway.

Some decent enough players but none that I would take at Hibs (case and point the majority of Hibs players who have come from them end up flops). At best they're a well drilled side (I appreciate they won a cup this year but I'm talking more generally over recent history in the league).

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I want the Rangers to lose because I want the best possible chance of winning the cup.

Glory, Glory...

Can't believe anyone would pass up the chance of being in the cup semis with 3 other non-Rantic teams. I mean, as much as the Europa thing would be great, it's not winning the cup, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    We are the team that has given them far and away their toughest games this season. And let's not forget that we have been in the wrong end of ****ing diabolical refereeing decisions in every game as well. And we all know that these things even themselves out🙄
    Yes, that's true.

For every dodgy decision they get at home, they get one away as well.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    It had been my understanding also, but where was there confirmation that the Europa League spot would end up with group stage euro football in either Europa or conference?

I'm hoping it's just something which was updated down the line due to rangers progression in Europe and what I'm reading is all just out of date...

I found an article which says the Europa League place gets into the third qualifying round. This is a round before the playoff... It's the losers of the playoff round that gain entry into the conference league group stages.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/sc...-competitions/

"In the Europa League, there will be one place granted to the winners of the 2020/21 Scottish Cup and the club will enter into the Third Qualifying Round of the competition."

It looks like the move to the cup winners getting into the playoff round wouldn't be until 22/23 season. At least according to this:

https://www.football-coefficient.eu/...y/23-scotland/

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    It had been my understanding also, but where was there confirmation that the Europa League spot would end up with group stage euro football in either Europa or conference?

I'm hoping it's just something which was updated down the line due to rangers progression in Europe and what I'm reading is all just out of date...

I found an article which says the Europa League place gets into the third qualifying round. This is a round before the playoff... It's the losers of the playoff round that gain entry into the conference league group stages.

"In the Europa League, there will be one place granted to the winners of the 2020/21 Scottish Cup and the club will enter into the Third Qualifying Round of the competition."

It looks like the move to the cup winners getting into the playoff round wouldn't be until 22/23 season. At least according to this:

A couple of leagues have had their entry points into the Europa league bumped up a position due to there being no winner of the conference league this season. Think it's Scottish and Danish cup winners that are benefiting from it.

Wouldn't trust anything on the SFA website, sites like bert kassie will be much more reliable.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike

Check this link here: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/AccessList2021.html

If there had been a conference league played this season then we would have gone in at Q3, but we go in at play off as there is no conference league winner for this season.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    A couple of leagues have had their entry points into the Europa league bumped up a position due to there being no winner of the conference league this season. Think it's Scottish and Danish cup winners that are benefiting from it.

Wouldn't trust anything on the SFA website, sites like bert kassie will be much more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Check this link here: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/AccessList2021.html

If there had been a conference league played this season then we would have gone in at Q3, but we go in at play off as there is no conference league winner for this season.
    Cheers guys!

A quick Google was showing lots of (outdated) articles about qualifying R3 and one article saying about the guaranteed group stage - and that was the daily record!
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Cheers guys!

A quick Google was showing lots of (outdated) articles about qualifying R3 and one article saying about the guaranteed group stage - and that was the daily record!
    If you look at the table on that site, S Cup winners go in at P0, if they lose and don't make the Europa group, they drop into the Conference group stage.

What's important is that if it's not us that wins the cup, we need it to be Huns so that spot falls to third.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    I don't understand why we seem to struggle against St Johnstone more often than not in the league. They're a bog standard side with very little about them to be worried about on paper anyway.

Some decent enough players but none that I would take at Hibs (case and point the majority of Hibs players who have come from them end up flops). At best they're a well drilled side (I appreciate they won a cup this year but I'm talking more generally over recent history in the league).

Apart from John O'Neil

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    Apart from John O'Neil
    Drey Wright although I know he's not a favourite.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Had a look at this perception on fitbastats. Hibs have the upper had on St Johnstone over the last 20 years and whilst they are closer than you would think for the size of clubs, they are only just behind us in average finishes in the top league (we are 5th best, they are 6th best).

Whilst you can assert the quality of individuals hasn't been overwhelming, it is a teams performance overall, something theyve been very good at and quite consistant over that period.

Everything about them is shrewd. Their managerial appointments. The players they pick up. Players we might describe as flops are very good at this level - like Liam Craig.

They must use their resources as well as any team in the league. I can't help but admire them. Hope we get the better of them this time though!

It really shouldn't be lost at this point, we are a capable team and we've ground out results a bit better than some previous seasons. Did Livi get a sniff after they pulled one back? Previously I feel like I'd have been watching the last 5+3 through my fingers as wave after wave of attack came at us but we seen it out well.

However I'll not be counting my chickens regardless. It doesn't seem to require that an implausible set of results to happen to derail us...

Hibs 0 - 2 saints
    Livi 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Hibs

Hibs 0 - 3 Celtic
    Rangers 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Actually, nah we're fine.
    Conceded less than 1 goal per game and we lose 8 in 3 games?
    Aberdeen scored about 3 since Christmas suddenly score 5?

3rd is pretty safe

Can see Livi and the sheep drawing so another performance like last nights first half for 90 minutes and we should have it wrapped up that weekend.

They press high and fast in the midfield. Beat that consistently and they are wide open.

@hibs.net private member
    Even a draw against St Johnstone will probably be enough to see us clinch third, its going to be a day for keeping an eye at the score at Livi while watching our game

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    I still don’t understand why third isn’t guaranteeing this slot for europa conference league?

So we could technically finish third, Aberdeen win the cup and they get the better European slot.

That doesn’t seem right
    Do t rule out the free scoring Kilmarnock in cup competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very relaxed about 3rd now after Wednesday

Aberdeen are capable of beating us and Livi, we are capable of loosing to St J and Aberdeen....the opposite is equally as true though but in neither scenario is it very likely there will be a high margin of victory.
    Worst case scenario we go into the last game needing to match Aberdeen's score against Rangers to get third place......in short I'd rather be in our shoes that theirs.

@hibs.net private member
    Not like hibs to leave us all on the edge of our seats for things!!!

So a draw at Aberdeen would all but seal 3rd now.

A loss and they’d need to beat or draw with Rangers and us lose to Celtic.

Win and 3rd is ours.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Not like hibs to leave us all on the edge of our seats for things!!!

So a draw at Aberdeen would all but seal 3rd now.

A loss and they’d need to beat or draw with Rangers and us lose to Celtic.

Win and 3rd is ours.
    I can see them winning at Greyskull, the huns have downed tools. We have to get this done at Pittodrie.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    If we win the cup nobody will care either way about third place. We'll have got both prizes that really matter - the cup itself and group stage European football.

And if we don't win the cup nobody will care either way about third place. We'll have missed out on both prizes that matter, the cup itself and group stage European football.

Strange the way it has worked out, but other than the prize money, which isn't massive, third is irrelevant now.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It will go to the wire that’s a certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    If we win the cup nobody will care either way about third place. We'll have got both prizes that really matter - the cup itself and group stage European football.

And if we don't win the cup nobody will care either way about third place. We'll have missed out on both prizes that matter, the cup itself and group stage European football.

Strange the way it has worked out, but other than the prize money, which isn't massive, third is irrelevant now.
    Until last week, Hibs were hot favourites to get the big money prize, with Aberdeen the only other club with a likely outside chance. Today, there are 3 new clubs which now have an equal chance of winning the big money prize and St Johnstone have become the unlikely favourites. That's a massive kick in the balls to Hibs players who have been working so hard to get themselves into that position.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post

We keep reading about Aberdeen outbidding us for players so I suppose 250k more for us and less for Aberdeen (500k difference) prize money must be important . Not been 3rd for 15 years either so still important . Winning the cup obviously more important than 3rd but 3rd still important and would be a boost before final if we win semi .

I still think we'll have enough but the fact it's potentially going down to the final day is mind blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Until last week, Hibs were hot favourites to get the big money prize, with Aberdeen the only other club with a likely outside chance. Today, there are 3 new clubs which now have an equal chance of winning the big money prize and St Johnstone have become the unlikely favourites. That's a massive kick in the balls to Hibs players who have been working so hard to get themselves into that position.
    The kick in the baws is to us the support the players get what they deserve if they cannot turn it on enough to not get beat by St J then who can say that Saint J dont get all they deserve.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I still think we'll have enough but the fact it's potentially going down to the final day is mind blowing.
    Should’ve been sewn up before the split.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    It’s Hibs, nothing about this is mind blowing.