hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 490
  1. #61
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    366
    Bookies has as at 1/6 to finish 3rd. All those with serious doubts get some money lumped on Aberdeen at 3/1


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    @hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,272
    If you’d given me a choice between the Scottish Cup, League Cup or 3rd place start of this season, I would have said third place. Europa League (or at worst Europa Conference League) group stage football is absolutely massive for Hibs. It would be the biggest cash injection to our club probably ever and the thought of getting to see us against multiple European opponents right up until Christmas is mouthwatering. I really hope we can do it, would make Jack Ross a huge success in toppling Aberdeen in his first season. We aren’t far off Celtic either.

  4. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are some fortunately not many supporters who would hate this as well.

    Its only a few weeks ago that around 40% of the participants wanted the manager sacked according to the "Should Jack Ross stay poll".
    Your first sentence is 100% tosh.

  5. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you’d given me a choice between the Scottish Cup, League Cup or 3rd place start of this season, I would have said third place. Europa League (or at worst Europa Conference League) group stage football is absolutely massive for Hibs. It would be the biggest cash injection to our club probably ever and the thought of getting to see us against multiple European opponents right up until Christmas is mouthwatering. I really hope we can do it, would make Jack Ross a huge success in toppling Aberdeen in his first season. We aren’t far off Celtic either.
    Do we know what the value of getting to the group stages of either competition is?

  6. #65
    Testimonial Due 1van Sprou7e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Doon Leith
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you’d given me a choice between the Scottish Cup, League Cup or 3rd place start of this season, I would have said third place. Europa League (or at worst Europa Conference League) group stage football is absolutely massive for Hibs. It would be the biggest cash injection to our club probably ever and the thought of getting to see us against multiple European opponents right up until Christmas is mouthwatering. I really hope we can do it, would make Jack Ross a huge success in toppling Aberdeen in his first season. We aren’t far off Celtic either.
    Yup, a cup win wouldn't be the same with no fans and no real celebrations back home, aberdeen have declined but as you say it would be a great acheivement for Ross for us to finally better them in his first full season and the potential income from european games is huge

  7. #66
    Testimonial Due 1van Sprou7e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Doon Leith
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do we know what the value of getting to the group stages of either competition is?
    I don't think UEFA have released that info yet, but in past years the europa league group stage has generally been worth >£3m and that increases with any positive result

  8. #67
    Last three 3rd place finishes:
    04-05 average points per game 1.60
    00-01 average points per game 1.73
    94-95 average points per game 1.47

    7 points from every 4 games (average 1.75) is usually enough to secure 3rd. We are bang on that at the moment. Hopefully get ahead of that average before the split, leaving a bit of leeway for a slightly lower average after the split.

    Stats looking good but still a long way to go.

  9. #68
    Coaching Staff mjhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portobello
    Age
    60
    Posts
    5,252
    One game at a time and all that. Hopefully we’ve had our bad injury run. All about results now. It’s in our hands.

  10. #69
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    39
    Posts
    24,951
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do we know what the value of getting to the group stages of either competition is?
    Chief executive at Motherwell is in the paper today saying that qualifying for the group stages of the Europa league this season was £2.5m before a ball was kicked, you’d still have sponsorship, tv money, potential gate receipts (remember them?) and money for each point you win on top of that. He also says that figure has been bumped up for next season.

  11. #70
    Testimonial Due 1van Sprou7e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Doon Leith
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chief executive at Motherwell is in the paper today saying that qualifying for the group stages of the Europa league this season was £2.5m before a ball was kicked, you’d still have sponsorship, tv money, potential gate receipts (remember them?) and money for each point you win on top of that. He also says that figure has been bumped up for next season.
    Very interesting if the figure has been increased for next season, I expected the opposite with the new competition coming in and monetary issues related to covid

  12. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very interesting if the figure has been increased for next season, I expected the opposite with the new competition coming in and monetary issues related to covid
    Getting through the last qualifying round of the Europa League into the group stages could be a tough ask, there will be some good teams in at that round.

    I’ll be very interested to see what the financial incentives are for the UEFA Conference group stages when they are released, presumably a level down from what you get in the Europa League group, but still could be a major boost for us.

    Just hope that they don’t delay it a year with Covid still hanging about, that would be bloody annoying.

  13. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by scotiaf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We should end 3rd, but that could easily change in 2 games. We were on a terrible run prior to the last 3 games. Aberdeen will pick up at some point I’d imagine.
    4 wins, 1 draw 1 loss from our last 6. Only dropped points against the old firm. We're in great form.

  14. #73
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mind when we were all chatting about holding onto 4th?

    Calm yourselves.
    What’s the point of posts like this? The season is fluid and opinions aren’t static, they fluctuate as the season progresses.

  15. #74
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    29
    Posts
    12,077
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you’d given me a choice between the Scottish Cup, League Cup or 3rd place start of this season, I would have said third place. Europa League (or at worst Europa Conference League) group stage football is absolutely massive for Hibs. It would be the biggest cash injection to our club probably ever and the thought of getting to see us against multiple European opponents right up until Christmas is mouthwatering. I really hope we can do it, would make Jack Ross a huge success in toppling Aberdeen in his first season. We aren’t far off Celtic either.
    Nah, I'd have taken the Scottish cup. Different as it may have been (or may yet still be) to have won it under current circumstances.

    If nothing else it would have got the same European place as you've described third place as getting anyway.
    Mon the Hibs.

  16. #75
    @hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Scoopsville
    Age
    61
    Posts
    10,089
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What’s the point of posts like this? The season is fluid and opinions aren’t static, they fluctuate as the season progresses.
    Indeed, or even from game to game

  17. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indeed, or even from game to game
    Or even during a game!!

  18. #77
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    26,036
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What’s the point of posts like this? The season is fluid and opinions aren’t static, they fluctuate as the season progresses.
    Probably due to the type of posts that state things like ‘we are never getting 4th’ or ‘we are more likely to finish 6th’ that you get after a little bad form.

    If you believe we are fundamentally brutal then stick with it.

    I think the way that everyone and everything is a disgrace type posts are a bit different to opinions on how we are headed changing game by game. There were a lot of those reactions a few weeks back.

    Best to take a bigger picture view on how we are progressing overall rather than reacting and changing your mind after each win or loss.

  19. #78
    Testimonial Due Wakeyhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Largs
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,601
    Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Getting through the last qualifying round of the Europa League into the group stages could be a tough ask, there will be some good teams in at that round.

    I’ll be very interested to see what the financial incentives are for the UEFA Conference group stages when they are released, presumably a level down from what you get in the Europa League group, but still could be a major boost for us.

    Just hope that they don’t delay it a year with Covid still hanging about, that would be bloody annoying.
    I think it will be. The EL is a much reduced competition so a reduced pot will still go further per team. I'd expect the ECL to be 50% or less than the EL. UEFA do like to funnel the money upwards rather than downwards.

  20. #79
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    448
    Whatever happens 3rd or 4th kept back a few annual leave days to cover hopefully another memorable away trip so many great memories met so many good hibbys on those trips problem this time could cost me a few bob as wife daughter and granddaughter want to come if we are first of all allowed to travel and don’t get a crazy location (mind you went to Dnipro that was a journey ) but well worth it here’s hoping

  21. #80
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it will be. The EL is a much reduced competition so a reduced pot will still go further per team. I'd expect the ECL to be 50% or less than the EL. UEFA do like to funnel the money upwards rather than downwards.
    I’m not convinced that the conference league payments will be less than this years Europa league. You need to remember that the europa is being reduced from 48 to 32 teams at group stage in 2021 also, making it more ‘exclusive’ and with prize money to match. UEFA wouldn’t have wanted the 16 places getting ‘ bumped’ down to the conference league facing reduced prize money.

  22. #81
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    100
    Should also say that this conference league will be anything but diddy.

    The europa league will be very high quality next season and a play off win would see us facing some serious euro teams.

  23. #82
    And people were happy with 4th a few weeks ago and I was shot down for daring to suggest we should be aiming higher...

  24. #83
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    26,036
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumHibs07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And people were happy with 4th a few weeks ago and I was shot down for daring to suggest we should be aiming higher...
    That’s not a very accurate representation of recent discussions.

  25. #84
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    2,345
    Quote Originally Posted by joe t View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Should also say that this conference league will be anything but diddy.

    The europa league will be very high quality next season and a play off win would see us facing some serious euro teams.

    6th La Liga
    6th Bundesliga
    6th Serie A
    5th Ligue 1
    3rd Eredivisie
    3rd & 4th Turkish League
    3rd & 4th Russian PL
    4th & 5th Portuguese League
    Carabao Cup winners in EPL

    Plenty of top teams in there. Some enjoyable games.

  26. #85
    Testimonial Due Wakeyhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Largs
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,601
    Quote Originally Posted by joe t View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not convinced that the conference league payments will be less than this years Europa league. You need to remember that the europa is being reduced from 48 to 32 teams at group stage in 2021 also, making it more ‘exclusive’ and with prize money to match. UEFA wouldn’t have wanted the 16 places getting ‘ bumped’ down to the conference league facing reduced prize money.
    Unless their pot has gone up? But my understanding is there are are 10-20 teams more teams over the 2 competitions. There's 64 in groups over the 2 instead if 48, and it looks like for 32 of them in the EL it's going up. We'll see but I doubt it will be £2m or above for the groups in the ECL (win/draw bonuses aside).

    But I agree its definately not a diddy competition.

  27. #86
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    2,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    6th La Liga
    6th Bundesliga
    6th Serie A
    5th Ligue 1
    3rd Eredivisie
    3rd & 4th Turkish League
    3rd & 4th Russian PL
    4th & 5th Portuguese League
    Carabao Cup winners in EPL

    Plenty of top teams in there. Some enjoyable games.
    Quick glance through the tables and Dortmund are currently 6th in Bundesliga. Would be some experience playing them.

  28. #87
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    39
    Posts
    24,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quick glance through the tables and Dortmund are currently 6th in Bundesliga. Would be some experience playing them.
    Carabao cup finalists are Spurs and Man City, I wonder if that means Spurs will be England’s representative then as Man City will be qualifying for the champions league?

    I know I’m getting waaaaay ahead of myself here but given the problems travelling this year, a draw against a good English club would be the dream for me. Trip to the new Spurs stadium would be my preference.

  29. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Carabao cup finalists are Spurs and Man City, I wonder if that means Spurs will be England’s representative then as Man City will be qualifying for the champions league?

    I know I’m getting waaaaay ahead of myself here but given the problems travelling this year, a draw against a good English club would be the dream for me. Trip to the new Spurs stadium would be my preference.
    A trip to London with Hibs, that would be something else. Looks like our trip down to London for the Scotland game is unlikely to happen so an away trip with Hibs would more than make up for it. Appreciate we’re getting ahead of ourselves but how many do you think we’d take to a European game down south?

  30. #89
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    2,345
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Carabao cup finalists are Spurs and Man City, I wonder if that means Spurs will be England’s representative then as Man City will be qualifying for the champions league?

    I know I’m getting waaaaay ahead of myself here but given the problems travelling this year, a draw against a good English club would be the dream for me. Trip to the new Spurs stadium would be my preference.
    If Man City win the Carabao Cup then it would go to 6th place. If the FA Cup winners finish in the top 6 then it would go to 7th place.

  31. #90
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    39
    Posts
    24,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Man City win the Carabao Cup then it would go to 6th place. If the FA Cup winners finish in the top 5 then it would go to 7th place.
    Cheers.

    Currently West Ham or Everton. Liverpool if teams behind them win their game in hand 😉

    Right, probably time to stop thinking about this 😂
    Last edited by bingo70; 14-02-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)