hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Mind when we were all chatting about holding onto 4th?

Calm yourselves.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Think we need to go into the split with an absolute minimum 8 point gap, which is very much doable when you compare our run-ins. I think we will end up going in 11 points clear, have faith in this squad and Jack Ross. We have nothing to lose and players look up for it.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    +10 better GD than aberdeen as well, hope sellick put a bucketload past the not-so-dandy dons....it could be worth a point

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Conference League yes as long as us or the Old Firm win the Scottish Cup.
    It's looking less and less likely that the Scottish Cup will be completed this season, so it would be third that'll get the Europa League qualifier instead.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I was sceptical after the St Johnstone game but looking at the next 5 games it's ours to lose. We've a great shot at achieving something remarkable this year.
    Would it be remarkable? I’d rather we had won the league cup tbh

First Team Breakthrough
    Not so long ago there were folk worried that Livi were going to go above us . Hibs have put themselves in pole position for third place but we are only 4 points ahead of Aberdeen.Let’s ensure we win the next two home games and take it from there.I feel confident we can clinch third but there is a long way to go and as a Hibs fan I take nothing for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Mind when we were all chatting about holding onto 4th?

Calm yourselves.
    Did many folk really think that though?

Even now, I still don’t think it’s a really good Hibs team. But I think it’s better than most of the league. I never thought we’d get caught in fourth. I now don’t think we’ll get caught in third.

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Normally I'd agree that winning a cup takes president over a European spot but giving that we wouldn't be there to see the cup won but we MIGHT be there to experience games home and away in Europe then I think 3rd place and Europe could actually be better than winning the League Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    Normally I'd agree that winning a cup takes president over a European spot but giving that we wouldn't be there to see the cup won but we MIGHT be there to experience games home and away in Europe then I think 3rd place and Europe could actually be better than winning the League Cup.
    Actually a valid point this.

Hibs don’t win cups very often so the semi finals hurt. But Hibs winning a cup and nobody being there to see it and there being no real celebration is a strange thought.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    Yeah that’s where I’m at now too tbh. If it was just the usual three or four qualifiers we had to play to even have a chance of the group stages I would prefer a cup absolutely. Now that we actually have a chance of watching Hibs play against clubs over Europe for several months with the financial benefit which comes with that I would prefer a 3rd place finish this season.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Some folk seem to have an odd idea of how a countdown works...one game at a time for those missing the point

Weirdly exciting times with a team that’s not exactly excited overly often.

Will be quite a turnaround if Aberdeen lose on Wed and are 4 behind with us having the game in hand...they always seem to be in front with extra games to be played.

That in itself is a warning though, things can change relatively quickly.

Anyway I’m looking forward to the count down being updated on Wed after Celtic pap Aberdeen by 3 or 4...

@hibs.net private member
    Bugger looking behind us, I'm wondering what needs to happen for us to catch Celtic.

55% of their remaining games are against Aberdeen, Rangers and us.

There are many pundits out there who would hate to see us finish 3rd.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperman View Post
    While I am by no means taking anything for granted it is undeniable that we are firmly in the driving seat. So, with each of the three challengers having a nice round 10 games left, I thought it a good time for a countdown thread.

30 points up for grabs. Instead of looking at the maximum each team can achieve, it’s easier just to countdown the way. I’m not taking our better goal difference into account either at this stage.

Aberdeen: 4 points behind us, so we need a maximum of 27 points assuming they win every game. Any points gained by Hibs or dropped by Aberdeen will of course reduce this total.

Livingston: 10 points behind us, so we need a maximum of 21 points assuming they win every game to better Livi (this also assumes that Aberdeen don’t go on a crazy winning streak). Same criteria that any points gained by Hibs or dropped by them reduces the total.

Can we do it?
    Don’t need else. Just dinnae.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Would be our best league finish since 2005 and get us group stage European football for the first time ever (maybe?).

In my eyes that's a lot better than a league cup, and also a lot more impressive considering we would have won it without playing Celtic rangers hearts or Aberdeen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we win our remaining games before the split, even if the County game takes place after, are we not guaranteed at least 4th spot?

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Correct, it doesn’t fit in with the Aberdeen love in on Radio jambo.

Finishing 3rd should be realistic every season for Hibs. Going to the next level of splitting the OF will be tough but it is certainly possible if the fans and club share that ambition. Not sure we believe enough at present but with the right leadership the sky is the limit for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    it's weird how (assuming either the OF or us win the cup) 3rd place would probably give us a better hand next season in europe than coming 2nd, as assuming (reasonably) that we'd get papped out the champions league, we'd have two rounds of the Europa league to navigate before the groups - if we lost the first of these, we'd go into the playoff for the europa conference, so wouldn't be guaranteed group stage football.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we win our remaining games before the split, even if the County game takes place after, are we not guaranteed at least 4th spot?
    Not quite I don't think.

If we win all of our pre-split games (which will include Livingston) then we'll be on 64 points but Livingston could still get to 66 points assuming they win every other pre-split game except against us.

Realistically though if we win our next 5 games we'll finish 3rd, not just 4th.

@hibs.net private member
    If we finish third, do folk think that more clubs down south will be looking at our players and how much higher will be the price tag we are able to attach them be, than if we were a just scrapping top six team?

I’d say right now we have the best manager outwirh Gerrard this Season. Top for me would be SG, JR, JG, DM, CD, Lennon has had a nightmare as has McInnes

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I don't think people understand how massive 3rd would be. Hibs in the groupstages of Europe would be absolutely amazing. I think we're gonna do it and we're gonna benefit massively from it next season.
    Wow did not realize that. That is massive.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I don't think people understand how massive 3rd would be. Hibs in the groupstages of Europe would be absolutely amazing. I think we're gonna do it and we're gonna benefit massively from it next season.

Do we not need to still get into a play off first?
    Sure that will be against a tough side so maybe jumping ahead with that shout

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyJammies View Post
    It was the late and great Ayrton Senna who said that 'being second is to be the first of the ones who lose'.

Being happy with 3rd is not where I imagined our great club would be in 2021 when I got on board the good ship Hibernian as a young man.

I want some day, some day, that we can crush those corrupt pigs in Glasgow and show them what we are capable of.

I hope you are reading this Mr Ron Gordon.
    I'm a bit more realistic.

There are some fortunately not many supporters who would hate this as well.

Its only a few weeks ago that around 40% of the participants wanted the manager sacked according to the "Should Jack Ross stay poll".

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo6-2 View Post
    No. Its been explained already. We will at least be in the europa league 2 group stage.

..and enjoy every minute at our collapse under the weight of expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo6-2 View Post
    Assuming the Scottish isn't played then 3rd in the league gets a shot at the europa league play off. Lose that and you're automatically in the group stages of the new, smaller European tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    We should end 3rd, but that could easily change in 2 games. We were on a terrible run prior to the last 3 games. Aberdeen will pick up at some point I’d imagine.

Thankfully Aberdeen have a tougher run in but at this stage of the season there won't be many easy games

Speaking of Aberdeen, that's FIVE games in a row without a goal now, horrific stat