hibs.net Messageboard

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully Kennedy can’t do any worse than Lennon and they beat Aberdeen on Saturday. It’s highly doubtful that we’re going to win all of our games before the split so I’d like Aberdeen to keep dropping points to keep that gap intact, 2nd is gone.
    Yup, we’ve absolutely no chance of 2nd place so hopefully Celtic pump them.

Seeing as we’re not going to win every single remaining game we’d probably be looking at Celtic having to lose around 5 or 6, maybe even more of their remaining 8 games. It’s not going to happen. We’ll more than likely end up further behind them, never mind closer.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 24-02-2021 at 08:16 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Yup, we’ve absolutely no chance of 2nd place so hopefully Celtic pump them.

Seeing as we’re not going to win every single remaining game we’d probably be looking at Celtic having to lose around 5 or 6, maybe even more of their remaining 8 games. It’s not going to happen. We’ll more than likely end up further behind them, never mind closer.
    You’d be needing them to lose to Rangers twice and us once. Not inconceivable that could happen plus another 2 defeats somewhere else in there if they have a complete collapse.

That said, you’re right, no way we will win all of our games, as long as we keep winning though uo to the split I’ll allow my mind to wander as I don’t think it’s impossible Celtic could have a complete disaster under Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    You’d be needing them to lose to Rangers twice and us once. Not inconceivable that could happen plus another 2 defeats somewhere else in there if they have a complete collapse.

That said, you’re right, no way we will win all of our games, as long as we keep winning though uo to the split I’ll allow my mind to wander as I don’t think it’s impossible Celtic could have a complete disaster under Kennedy.
    I think the reverse will happen and they will play with the shackles off. If we were level on points with them it might be possible. The thought we might catch them from the current position is ridiculous.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I think the reverse will happen and they will play with the shackles off. If we were level on points with them it might be possible. The thought we might catch them from the current position is ridiculous.
    Agreed. We were never catching them, Lennon or nae Lennon. Hopefully they pump Aberdeen and we do the necessary in our game.

Win our game in hand (not a foregone conclusion I know) and the gap is nine points.
    If they lose to Aberdeen and the Sticky Buns pre-split, and we beat 'Well, all we need to do is match their points haul in the remaining games pre and post split to have the gap at three points going into our post-split match, and on current form I'd fancy us to beat them. Ok our goal difference is way behind their's so we'd need one more match point than them along the way, but that run of results is not impossible and made me think it was worth checking the updated odds on us finishing 2nd.
    Sky have us at 14/1. Was hoping for 20s.
    Having said all that I'd still settle for 3rd place and the likelihood of guaranteed group football. But shoot for the stars and all that........

I see Hornby possibly our for the rest of the season. Will they try to play a passing game now. Oops, sorry they have sold their best attacking midfielder and the other one is out for the season. Just means they will be even more awful to watch than before.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    I see Hornby possibly our for the rest of the season. Will they try to play a passing game now. Oops, sorry they have sold their best attacking midfielder and the other one is out for the season. Just means they will be even more awful to watch than before.
    Got to feel sorry for the young lad Hornby..a chance to kick start his career and injured after 4 games ..what a blow for him ....

I reckon we need 11 or twelve points to be certain of third. Certainly got an easier run in with the dons at home to us and Celtic and away to rangers, Livi and Whoever finishes sixth. With Celtic and Dundee utd away and Hamilton at home before the split they will have to improve markedly to pick a lot of points in their last eight games.

I reckon we need 11 or twelve points to be certain of third. Certainly got an easier run in with the dons at home to us and Celtic and away to rangers, Livi and Whoever finishes sixth. With Celtic and Dundee utd away and Hamilton at home before the split they will have to improve markedly to pick a lot of points in their last eight games.
    I’m not sure I could see Aberdeen winning 5 or 6 of their remaining matches looking at their fixtures.

I know it’s not the case mathematically but I think another 3 wins will probably do it.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I’m not sure I could see Aberdeen winning 5 or 6 of their remaining matches looking at their fixtures.

I know it’s not the case mathematically but I think another 3 wins will probably do it.
    I would tend to disagree (although I hope you are right) Lots of Aberdeen's losses and draws have been very tight games, if the right deflection falls for them, they get a few decisions go their way (like we did on Sat) they could get a bit of momentum. We need to keep winning.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    I can't see three wins not being enough. Aberdeen would need to win five from their last eight (or four plus a few draws) and they still have to play Celtic twice as well as Rangers after the split. If we win three they would need to beat us and pretty much win all the other non Celtic/Rangers games to turn it around. While their form will probably pick up a bit, I can't see them going on that kind of run.

https://twitter.com/pieandbov/status...708520962?s=21

Quite an interesting thread.

For those that are saying we are only 3rd because the league is poor (possibly me at some point), probably worth noting that Aberdeen are 3 points better off now than they were this time last season.

We are 15 points better off than the same stage last season.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

For those that are saying we are only 3rd because the league is poor (possibly me at some point), probably worth noting that Aberdeen are 3 points better off now than they were this time last season.

Interesting Aberdeen are better off wouldn't have imagined that shows how good a season we are having.

Said this a number of weeks ago. Folk like to say it’s a piss poor league due to Rangers running away with it, and Celtic struggling to keep up, Celtic aren’t a million miles away from where they would normally be points wise (without the two/three games after dubai where they lost half their players) and with a couple of exceptions - 62, 67, 68, 70, 72 is just a few examples of their points totals after 30 games, 64 this year. So taking the top two as a pairing, this is the strongest top 2 we’ve had in a long time, Rangers nearly matching Celtics best season and Celtic bettering any second place teams over that time.

The rest of the league is fairly strong, Aberdeen and ourselves, and then the rest who all have some very good players in their squads. There’s as much quality in the league this season than I can remember for some time.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    For as poor as they have been, Aberdeen also seem to have been particularly unlucky with injuries this season.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    For as poor as they have been, Aberdeen also seem to have been particularly unlucky with injuries this season.
    I was told when Lennon had a horrendous amount of injuries, that all teams get injuries, and it is just part and parcel of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Very true but totally changing your front players on deadline day makes no sense at all. They need time to settle in, time the dons don’t have. We have had just as many injuries but our squad has coped better. Not scoring for over 6 games is much more than just injuries.

All clubs have injuries. Aberdeen have had it to good for a number of years now. We missed Boyle and porteous for large parts under hecky etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Said this a number of weeks ago. Folk like to say it’s a piss poor league due to Rangers running away with it, and Celtic struggling to keep up, Celtic aren’t a million miles away from where they would normally be points wise (without the two/three games after dubai where they lost half their players) and with a couple of exceptions - 62, 67, 68, 70, 72 is just a few examples of their points totals after 30 games, 64 this year. So taking the top two as a pairing, this is the strongest top 2 we’ve had in a long time, Rangers nearly matching Celtics best season and Celtic bettering any second place teams over that time.

The rest of the league is fairly strong, Aberdeen and ourselves, and then the rest who all have some very good players in their squads. There’s as much quality in the league this season than I can remember for some time.
    Not having Hearts lying down to everyone, just to save themselves for their 4 cup finals against us has done Hibs no harm this season.

Very true but totally changing your front players on deadline day makes no sense at all. They need time to settle in, time the dons don’t have. We have had just as many injuries but our squad has coped better. Not scoring for over 6 games is much more than just injuries.
    IMO the worst Aberdeen squad we've seen in years. Their great strength for almost a decade has been digging out victories even when not playing well. They're not doing that now.

We changed ours when mclaren and kamberi came in and it work out for us👍

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I was told when Lennon had a horrendous amount of injuries, that all teams get injuries, and it is just part and parcel of the game.
    I think that is fair, we've had some crucial players out this season too so it's not just Aberdeen. Additionally with their budget they should have strength in depth to cope.

I'd have more sympathy with Accies or the like with their smaller squad bemoaning injuries.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cam75 View Post
    Then the following season we had problems when they were both carrying injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by cam75 View Post
    Ive a feeling our signings were far better researched and ready to make an impact. None of their three signings were ready to fire straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I think that is fair, we've had some crucial players out this season too so it's not just Aberdeen. Additionally with their budget they should have strength in depth to cope.

I'd have more sympathy with Accies or the like with their smaller squad bemoaning injuries.
    I just dont understand how whenever we achieve anything, it has to be because other teams are having injuries, or the worst team in living memory.

When Aberdeen were finishing 2nd or 3rd, we were pish and i certainly wanted to finish as high as they were. It has become trendy to downplay our achievements, as we never get anything right, it's always because someone else failed.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I just dont understand how whenever we achieve anything, it has to be because other teams are having injuries, or the worst team in living memory.

When Aberdeen were finishing 2nd or 3rd, we were pish and i certainly wanted to finish as high as they were. It has become trendy to downplay our achievements, as we never get anything right, it's always because someone else failed.
    Especially considering (as Bingo pointed out earlier) that Aberdeen are actually 3 points better off than at the same stage last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Especially considering (as Bingo pointed out earlier) that Aberdeen are actually 3 points better off than at the same stage last season.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar

Sorry I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been, I am not necessarily disagreeing with you.

I don't think for a minute Aberdeen should get to use injuries as an excuse, nor should Hibs in the past. Aberdeen have had problems this season granted but we've missed key players too this season. We're where we are as Ross and co managed to work out how to win l games, or at least get draws, while he had our injury problems. Yes we lost a few that we might not have but that's going to be the same for other clubs.

Only the teams operating on an absolute shoe string get to use the injury to key players and to be honest, it's never clubs like Accies you see talking about that, it's usually the clubs at the top of the table.

We're where we are out of merit. Aberdeen still have plenty good players, they just aren't playing well. For me the injury chat is just a smoke screen for their manager not adapting.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Then the following season we had problems when they were both carrying injuries.
    And when we replaced McGinn, McGeouch and Allan with Milligan, Mallan and Hyndman

Marciano has missed a chunk, Allan missed the whole season, Newell been out for a while. Every team gets injuries, if you can’t deal without players then recruit better or build a bigger squad. Our fan base certainly seems to be the best at telling everyone how ***** the league is or how many injuries Aberdeen had, or how we should be replacing our players with average ones from Livingston because they go on a wee run.