hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What venue was that and what year roughly? Was it the Lemon Tree by chance?

Billy Bragg once said - "There are two types of people - those that like Mark E Smith and those who have met him".
    Haha I can definitely relate to that.

The Warehouse (FKA Moshulu) & Bassment 2009/10.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Haha I can definitely relate to that.

The Warehouse (FKA Moshulu) & Bassment 2009/10.
    Ah, no, I didn't see The Fall there.

Did see Johnny Marr and Ash at the Warehouse and both were top gigs

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I used to run a gig venue in Aberdeen and had the ‘pleasure’ of hosting The Fall. Now, I know you’re not supposed to speak ill of the dead but what and complete cock Mark E Smith was. Awful man and awful show. Genuinely felt sorry for the fans in the half full venue, who’d forked out £40 a ticket. Hilariously though, the reaction in The Fall fans forum was really positive. 🤦🏻
    I saw a few dreadful Fall gigs over the years, but they were more than balanced out by performances of absolute wonder and awe as well as the generally fairly good. Back in about 1999 or 2000 they were playing at the Queen's Hall and I was invited by the tour manager, who I'd been in touch with on other matters, to come along to a certain boozer during the day and possibly meet Mark, however I thought the better of it for all the well documented reasons. Never meet your heroes and all that.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Ian Brown at the picture house circa 2010

Horrendous. Kicked off about a pint being chucked towards the stage and made out we should have been grateful for him playing Fools Gold which was the only Roses number he played. Used the pint episode as his excuse. Absolutely awful
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Ian Brown at the picture house circa 2010

Horrendous. Kicked off about a pint being chucked towards the stage and made out we should have been grateful for him playing Fools Gold which was the only Roses number he played. Used the pint episode as his excuse. Absolutely awful
    I was at the Roses reunion gig at Heaton Park. My son was near the front, but I stayed well back.😉
    From where I was, I couldn't hear Brown as everybody around me was belting out every word.

I was a bit disappointed by that, until my son said "Dad, think yourself lucky..." 😂

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Without doubt one of the worst gigs I have ever been to was The Stone Roses comeback gig at Heaton Park on the opening night. It was blowing a gale, the sound was horrendous and Ian Brown was murder, the rest of the band carried him. With it being so windy the sound was drifting from left to right. There was a right bunch of toss pots in the crowd as well. Mind getting the tram from Piccadilly Gardens and some whopper pulled the emergency brake for a laugh. This was about 5:30 at night, peak time and the tram was full and standing. 40 minutes we sat there before the tram driver managed to get it going again and by the time we got to Heaton Park station, which is a fair bit from the city centre virtually the whole tram emptied and the station became a giant urinal because we'd all been on the bevy. It was horrendous.

Seen the Stone Roses again at Glasgow Green as well and Ian Brown was just as bad there too. I was in the front pit against the barrier and I swear this is true, 2 jakey wifeys behind me and 3 other mates I was with were so determined to get on the barrier one of them actually ducked under one of my mates arm a bit him hard as **** on his arm just down from his armpit, he flung his elbow back as a natural reaction and caught jakey woman on the coupon. He was so pissed off he buggered off, after the gig he showed us his arm and there was clear teeth marks where the wifey had clamped her teeth down into his flesh, horrendous behaviour. As someone mentioned above, Primal Scream supported along with The View. Primal Scream were dreadful and Gillespie started rabbiting on about the obelisk in the middle of Glasgow Green, he looked like he was out his face but The View were great though.

I was lucky (or unlucky) enough to be one of the 300 at the Bongo club to see The View. Was really looking forward to that gig in a small venue where you could literally reach out and touch the band. Unfortunately the band walked off after about 6 songs after some utter fanny hit Kyle Falconer in the head pint a pint of some form of liquid, I'm not convinced it was beer though. That was that, gig over thanks to one rasper.

The Streets at the Corn Exchange during T on the Fringe one year. Dreadful and £35 a ticket as well.

Nickleback at the SECC, dragged along by a few mates. Just a noise and not enjoyable at all.

Babyshambles. Terrible and Doherty was clearly on something strong.

Honourable mention to Kraftwerk at the Usher Hall/Playhouse - all seated gig? Not me but my good mate and his laddie got thrown out for standing and singing - seriously. They couldn't believe it.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Without doubt one of the worst gigs I have ever been to was The Stone Roses comeback gig at Heaton Park on the opening night. It was blowing a gale, the sound was horrendous and Ian Brown was murder, the rest of the band carried him. With it being so windy the sound was drifting from left to right. There was a right bunch of toss pots in the crowd as well. Mind getting the tram from Piccadilly Gardens and some whopper pulled the emergency brake for a laugh. This was about 5:30 at night, peak time and the tram was full and standing. 40 minutes we sat there before the tram driver managed to get it going again and by the time we got to Heaton Park station, which is a fair bit from the city centre virtually the whole tram emptied and the station became a giant urinal because we'd all been on the bevy. It was horrendous.

Seen the Stone Roses again at Glasgow Green as well and Ian Brown was just as bad there too. I was in the front pit against the barrier and I swear this is true, 2 jakey wifeys behind me and 3 other mates I was with were so determined to get on the barrier one of them actually ducked under one of my mates arm a bit him hard as **** on his arm just down from his armpit, he flung his elbow back as a natural reaction and caught jakey woman on the coupon. He was so pissed off he buggered off, after the gig he showed us his arm and there was clear teeth marks where the wifey had clamped her teeth down into his flesh, horrendous behaviour. As someone mentioned above, Primal Scream supported along with The View. Primal Scream were dreadful and Gillespie started rabbiting on about the obelisk in the middle of Glasgow Green, he looked like he was out his face but The View were great though.

I was lucky (or unlucky) enough to be one of the 300 at the Bongo club to see The View. Was really looking forward to that gig in a small venue where you could literally reach out and touch the band. Unfortunately the band walked off after about 6 songs after some utter fanny hit Kyle Falconer in the head pint a pint of some form of liquid, I'm not convinced it was beer though. That was that, gig over thanks to one rasper.

The Streets at the Corn Exchange during T on the Fringe one year. Dreadful and £35 a ticket as well.

Nickleback at the SECC, dragged along by a few mates. Just a noise and not enjoyable at all.

Honourable mention to Kraftwerk at the Usher Hall/Playhouse - all seated gig? Not me but my good mate and his laddie got thrown out for standing and singing - seriously. They couldn't believe it.
    You need to pick your gigs more wisely mate. 🤣 Every band in your post, except Kraftwerk & maybe Niickleback, attracts more ****bags that Tynecastle when Hearts play the Sticky Buns.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar

Seen PD round about the same time as the Ian Brown gig and also at the Picture House - one of the rare times he was genuinely off the smack and he was unreal, he was touring his first solo album and Graham Coxon was playing guitar for him

Got a Saturday ticket for T purely to see the Libertines at T in I think 2015 and they were horrendous. What made it worse was we left after 4 songs and the tent for the proclaimers was full and we couldn’t get in
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Seen PD round about the same time as the Ian Brown gig and also at the Picture House - one of the rare times he was genuinely off the smack and he was unreal, he was touring his first solo album and Graham Coxon was playing guitar for him

Got a Saturday ticket for T purely to see the Libertines at T in I think 2015 and they were horrendous. What made it worse was we left after 4 songs and the tent for the proclaimers was full and we couldn’t get in

That reminds me. Got couple of freebies to T I T P the year Noel Gallagher and the Stone Roses headlined (2012?). You were literally knee deep in mud and god knows what else. The weather was absolutely brutal. One of the tents flooded and had to be closed IIRC. I just remember wading through mud and whatever else, the closer you got to the stage the deeper it got, I gave up when it got up to my knees. I remember people just stopping mid stride and just standing there pissing and folk openly sniffing coke off the back of their hands with no ****s given. NG was brilliant but again the Stone Roses were howling. Won't ever got back to T I T P or TRNSMT, whatever its been reinvented as. Horrible experience and not enjoyable.

That reminds me. Got couple of freebies to T I T P the year Noel Gallagher and the Stone Roses headlined (2012?). You were literally knee deep in mud and god knows what else. The weather was absolutely brutal. One of the tents flooded and had to be closed IIRC. I just remember wading through mud and whatever else, the closer you got to the stage the deeper it got, I gave up when it got up to my knees. I remember people just stopping mid stride and just standing there pissing and folk openly sniffing coke off the back of their hands with no ****s given. NG was brilliant but again the Stone Roses were howling. Won't ever got back to T I T P or TRNSMT, whatever its been reinvented as. Horrible experience and not enjoyable.
    Funnily enough the best Glastonbury I ever had was 2016 where the weather was horrible on the run up to it - there were doubts if it could go ahead due to the amount of mud and standing water. The sun came out from day one which meant the mud dried to a thick, claggy, clay like cement which made walking hugely difficult (I lost eleven pounds over the five days in weight, some in our group lost over a stone) but as soon as it was due to dry to the point where you could walk on it rather than through it, there was a shower of rain for an hour or so which reset it back to the horrible state.

There are still some ********s at Glastonbury but a lot less and seen PJ Harvey play an incredible set on the Sunday, followed by LCD Soundsystem who blew everyone away. Billy Bragg the day after the Brexit referendum was on fire, Mercury Rev were outstanding - so much amazing music and comedy and even circus stuff. Watched the sun set on the Thursday at the stone circle, stayed up all night going from late night area to late night area, dancing to 80s cheese to reggae to hip hop, then head off to watch the sun rise then slept for two hours, grabbed a coffee and went to see James at half past ten in the morning. Great times.

I went to TRNSMT the following year as well as Glastonbury and hated every second of TRNSMT. Where Glasto has so much for you to do when you're not watching music, all there is at TRNSMT is awful food stalls, drinking and advertisements. No thought put into it at all and no wonder people make complete tits out of themselves. The crowd was ****ing dreadful for Radiohead as well.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Funnily enough the best Glastonbury I ever had was 2016 where the weather was horrible on the run up to it - there were doubts if it could go ahead due to the amount of mud and standing water. The sun came out from day one which meant the mud dried to a thick, claggy, clay like cement which made walking hugely difficult (I lost eleven pounds over the five days in weight, some in our group lost over a stone) but as soon as it was due to dry to the point where you could walk on it rather than through it, there was a shower of rain for an hour or so which reset it back to the horrible state.

There are still some ********s at Glastonbury but a lot less and seen PJ Harvey play an incredible set on the Sunday, followed by LCD Soundsystem who blew everyone away. Billy Bragg the day after the Brexit referendum was on fire, Mercury Rev were outstanding - so much amazing music and comedy and even circus stuff. Watched the sun set on the Thursday at the stone circle, stayed up all night going from late night area to late night area, dancing to 80s cheese to reggae to hip hop, then head off to watch the sun rise then slept for two hours, grabbed a coffee and went to see James at half past ten in the morning. Great times.

I went to TRNSMT the following year as well as Glastonbury and hated every second of TRNSMT. Where Glasto has so much for you to do when you're not watching music, all there is at TRNSMT is awful food stalls, drinking and advertisements. No thought put into it at all and no wonder people make complete tits out of themselves. The crowd was ****ing dreadful for Radiohead as well.
    Loved 2016 Glastonbury despite the mud. Underworld Friday night, Mercury rev Saturday and LCD soundsystem Sunday were my three headliners. The joy in the field during LCD is something thy will live me for ever. It had been a tough 5 days but there was a real sense of togetherness for those 2 hours.

As for crap gigs, Primal Scream deserve a mention. Reckon I've seen them about 15 times. Half of which they were outstanding, the other half utter garbage.

Re the roses at Heaton Park, I was there on the Sunday and loved every second of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBreslin View Post
    Loved 2016 Glastonbury despite the mud. Underworld Friday night, Mercury rev Saturday and LCD soundsystem Sunday were my three headliners. The joy in the field during LCD is something thy will live me for ever. It had been a tough 5 days but there was a real sense of togetherness for those 2 hours.

As for crap gigs, Primal Scream deserve a mention. Reckon I've seen them about 15 times. Half of which they were outstanding, the other half utter garbage.

Re the roses at Heaton Park, I was there on the Sunday and loved every second of it.

Maybe they managed to sort the sound by then and maybe put a backing track/vocals over Ian Browns voice.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBreslin View Post

I was at LCD in the mud. Hated it 😁

Maybe they managed to sort the sound by then and maybe put a backing track/vocals over Ian Browns voice.
    When I was a teenager and in my early twenties, I wrote about music freelance. I was once asked to review an Ian Brown gig and still haven't bettered "like someone's taught a Dyson how to yodel" to describe his vocals

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Two weeks later at the last T in the Park they literally played to about 300-400 people. That was another death knell for T in the Park - booking Kraftwerk and not even filling King Tuts a third full for them, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds getting a couple of thousand tops, John Grant getting a couple of hundred people tops. If you're not a Courteeners, David Guetta or Rita Ora then it's not worth a stop on your tour for.

Richard Hawley was magical on the Friday at that Glastonbury. Someone lit a flare during 'Coles Corner' in the encore and rather than feeling laddish, it was beautiful. I was on the TV wearing my Christmas jumper during that set

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Different strokes for different folks I guess! I managed to rip the whole set of iplayer and still love watching it back.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Two weeks later at the last T in the Park they literally played to about 300-400 people. That was another death knell for T in the Park - booking Kraftwerk and not even filling King Tuts a third full for them, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds getting a couple of thousand tops, John Grant getting a couple of hundred people tops. If you're not a Courteeners, David Guetta or Rita Ora then it's not worth a stop on your tour for.

Richard Hawley was magical on the Friday at that Glastonbury. Someone lit a flare during 'Coles Corner' in the encore and rather than feeling laddish, it was beautiful. I was on the TV wearing my Christmas jumper during that set
    I remember watching the TITP highlights that year and being shocked at just how small the crowd was for LCD. It was just a few rows.