hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Worst gigs you've been to

Was just reminded by the weather we've had of a gig probably a good twelve or thirteen years ago. Back when you used to be able to get cheap tickets for gigs on eBay, we got four tickets for Julian Casablancas from the Strokes at Glasgow ABC. Drove through from Montrose to Glasgow in the snow with my mates expecting tunes from the new album and some Strokes classics in a reasonably small venue. Got there - and waited something like 60-90 minutes for a really boring support act to play for half an hour. Waited another hour - Julian Casablancas comes on, plays for 35 minutes, does a really half hearted version of a Strokes song (can't remember which one), seven songs off his really pish solo album, and ****s off. Lights come on. £27.50 a ticket at face value (which back then was a hell of a lot), we got them for £18 each for barely over an hours worth of awful music. I don't think anyone left happy.

Got stopped by the Glasgow police heading back home (four young lads in a Vauxhall Corsa, of course they did a "random check"), stopped for ages as they were as arsey as humanly possible to us. Got home late, tired, pissed off and unable to listen to a Strokes album since
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 12-02-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

Kings Of Leon in Aberdeen just after their 3rd album was released.

The AECC is a crap venue in just about every way anyway but they were just so disinterested and obviously didn't want to be there. They came out to play Four Kicks as an encore, Caleb wasn't happy with his guitar so handed it to his tech, chucked his water bottle into the crowd and ****ed off.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kings Of Leon in Aberdeen just after their 3rd album was released.

The AECC is a crap venue in just about every way anyway but they were just so disinterested and obviously didn't want to be there. They came out to play Four Kicks as an encore, Caleb wasn't happy with his guitar so handed it to his tech, chucked his water bottle into the crowd and ****ed off.
    Seen them back in 2004 and they were brilliant - less so on I think what must have been a similar time to yours. Soon as they came off the hard drugs they lost it as a band.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Seen them back in 2004 and they were brilliant - less so on I think what must have been a similar time to yours. Soon as they came off the hard drugs they lost it as a band.
    Yep I'd seen them before and they were brilliant. The 2nd time was the last.

They are one of those bands I used to love but just can't stand now.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    New Order at the Playhouse many years ago, thought at the time Bernard Sumner was out of his skull, couldnt sing a note and was quite abusive to the crowd. Still love them though, enjoy Peter Hook and the Light too

For venues it has to be the Corn Exchange, not too keen on gigs there

Worst gigs you've been to

Black Rebel Motorcyle Club at Barrowland s a few years ago Sound poor ,didn’t know Thier material and got soaked with beer lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Dr Feelgood at the Usher Hall back in about 78. Eddie & The Hotrods were support and blew them offstage. The Feelgoods played the most lack lustre set I've ever seen and couldn't wait to get off, fans were away before they could even think about an encore. It was the wrong venue for them but still strange as they were regarded as the best live band in the business.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Clapton at the Hydro a few years back. Not so much the music, but he was a dick.

Honourable mention to Primal Scream, who I love. They get worse every time I see them 😆 Last time was at Heaton Park, supporting the Roses. They were unlistenable.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Badly Drawn Boy at the Corn Exchange was terrible. He kept stopping mid song complaining that something didn't sound right and he walked off after half a dozen songs. (Also unable to listen to anything of his since).

Portishead somewhere was as full as dishwater. Just boring from the start.

Kaiser Chiefs at the SECC. They didn't appear until 9.45 which really angered me and I booed them on and at every opportunity. I may have spent too long in the Hilton executive lounge beforehand, who can say?

Late addition; The Weekend. He came on at Leeds, stood on his own, sang his set and that was it. No band, no light show, no interaction. Rubbish experience.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 12-02-2021 at 06:07 PM.

Oasis at the SECC 1997. Someone threw a quarter bottle of vodka on the stage and they stormed off. Was just reading there that they had played for around 50 minutes, my hazy memories had them down as only playing a few songs before walking off. Was a poisonous atmosphere after that trying to get out the SECC.

Contrast to that one of my best gigs was the night before at the barrowlands watching black grape. Then sandwiched in between the concerts was the small matter of the hibs game at ibrox. Oh to be 16 again!!!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Oh... the most disappointing has to be Bowie at Ingliston.

All the hits, but with ****ing Tin Machine. They really exposed his voice as being not very good. It was like a bad tribute band.

Another from me is Bob Dylan at the Playhouse, must have been 2008/09ish.

No interaction with the crowd, which is standard for him. Backing band were fine but emotionless and his voice was shot. It was like a cross between a William Shatner spoken album and a slurring drunk singing karaoke. Most of the crowd lapped it up because it was seeing Bob Dylan live but I was tempted to leave after about 3 songs.

No interaction with the crowd, which is standard for him. Backing band were fine but emotionless and his voice was shot. It was like a cross between a William Shatner spoken album and a slurring drunk singing karaoke. Most of the crowd lapped it up because it was seeing Bob Dylan live but I was tempted to leave after about 3 songs.
    Van Morrison is a similar experience, but added to that he’s an utter ****.

Seen Van Morrison at the Playhouse and he was outstanding.

Worst has to be a support band called Gojira, a French heavy thrash metal band, supported Alter Bridge but the lead singer just roared and shouted through every song, to me it was just a noise.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Aerosmith. 9 lives tour 1999 at the SECC. They just looked like they couldn't be arsed and I think they only played for an hour or so. Made worse by one of the guys in our group who saw them earlier in the tour down in England saying that it was a brilliant show and they were superb. Total let down

@hibs.net private member
    Oh, Oi Polloi Porty in park just when they were starting out, asked us to be their warm up, it didnt happen, they became much more successful than we did 😆

Julian Cope at the Queens Hall around 1986? only gig I've ever left early

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Social Distortion at the garage in Glasgow. Was the first time, perhaps the only time, they've played in Scotland and I'd never seen them before. For a band with so many classic songs and some great albums they did what seemed like a whole set of slow paced country type rock and almost none of the classic tunes.
    Most disappointing.

Meatloaf in Las Vegas 3 or 4 years ago. He hobbled round the stage like someone who had had a hip replacement that morning, the singing was awful and we were treated to various sermon like speeches about how great God/America/his family is.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Julian Cope at the Queens Hall around 1986? only gig I've ever left early
    I saw the Teardrop Explodes supporting Queen at Ingliston. I thought they were very good, but they got booed off the stage anyway because it wasn't what Queen fans were wanting.

The worst I've seen were the Cocteau Twins supporting OMD at the Playhouse. They were also booed off the stage but deservedly so as they were rank.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Meatloaf in Las Vegas 3 or 4 years ago. He hobbled round the stage like someone who had had a hip replacement that morning, the singing was awful and we were treated to various sermon like speeches about how great God/America/his family is.
    I saw Meatloaf at the Playhouse (1983?) and it was phenomenal, but he had trouble with his voice/vocal cords pretty soon thereafter and has been pretty ropey ever since from what I can make out.

I have friends/colleagues who organised what was the 2nd biggest festival in France. They've had dealings with all sorts of global mega stars and apparently Dylan is by far the worst. You get the impression they want to spit on the ground whenever his name is mentioned.

Some of their stories about the stars, their demands & behaviour are brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Seen Van Morrison at the Playhouse and he was outstanding.

Worst has to be a support band called Gojira, a French heavy thrash metal band, supported Alter Bridge but the lead singer just roared and shouted through every song, to me it was just a noise.
    I've heard of Van Morrison gigs where he's thrown a big stop because of multiple reasons such as the crowd looking at him, someone taking a photo and stuff like that. Glad you caught him on a good day!

Caught Paul Simon on a bad day, he moaned about having a sore throat or something like that and then went on to putting in the most half hearted show I've seen. Considering how full of joy a lot of his music is, it was one of the most miserable experiences I'd had.

Also caught both sides of Primal Scream. First time I seen them they were phenomenal, high energy, Bobby Gillespie bounding about the stage like a man possessed. Second time I seen them headline Wickerman festival and during 'Shoot Speed/Kill Light' I timed how long he stood at the front of the stage fixing his shirt sleeves. Over a minute. He then went into a several minute long monotone monologue about their new album and the songs on it before spending the set fixing and refixing his shirt sleeves, looking bored and boring everyone to tears.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Seen Van a few times.

Once at the playhouse he was intolerable,

Then a couple of summers ago at the Kelvingrove Bandstand he was truly magical

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Travis in Amsterdam 2003. It was the night before Scotland played the Netherlands in the play-off we lost 6-0. Lots of Tartan Army at the gig which turned out to be dull as ****. Should’ve stayed up the RLD.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Seen Van a few times.

Once at the playhouse he was intolerable,

Then a couple of summers ago at the Kelvingrove Bandstand he was truly magical
    Was the playhouse gig the one where he sang Judy Collins Send In The Clowns
    And as he sang that line he muttered Dont worry there here and he walked off stage and didn’t come back on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Velvet underground early 70's in the Caley (I think) I know Lou Reed isn't one to get the crowd jumping but he just couldn't be arsed and he was totally out of it. A total borefest.

The other was Macfloyd a Scottish Pink Floyd tribute band. Capable enough and I know tribute bands aren't necessarily meant to be clones of the real band, but the constant wisecracking by the "Dave Gilmour" character was so maddening I walked out at the interval. One of the stewards thought I was crazy for leaving. I pointed out I'd seen the real floyd, Aussie floyd and Britfloyd multiple times and this lot were a joke in comparison.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - you can take your pick as to which gig - been dragged to see them 3 times and they're not enjoyable at all live. Memorable one was at Murrayfield, supported by NERD and Ash - Anthony Keidis is a dreadful front man. No interaction with the crowd at all and singing questionable at best...

Taking Back Sunday - saw them headline a festival back in 2012 - I loved them at the time but their lead singer broke his leg a few weeks before they came out on tour and was out of his face on painkillers - vocally the worst performance I've heard from any artist.

And not a headline act but I saw Korn at the SECC back in 2001 who were supported by TrustCOMPANY (who were phenomenal) and Puddle of Mudd - Puddle of Mudd were eventually booed off stage and had stuff launched at them en-masse. Their lead singer was a complete ****** and I don't know if they ever played Scotland again.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I remember falling asleep standing up at a deer hunter gig but I suppose that wasn't really their fault.

I was going to that many gigs when living in Dublin that I'd just leave if I wasn't feeling it so never really had a worst gig as I was always gone.

Most dissapointing was probably FKA Twigs at Primavera Festival. Mainly because going to that festival was a thing I based my whole year around for 7 years. I loved it & always on a massive buzz day one! She was the first thing I saw one year, she was the opener. She was on a big stage herself during the day which isn't easy in the first place, her sound went, her laptop played up & for half the gig she just spent dancing and whooping to some muffled tunes. Very underwhelming.....

For some reason The Farm springs to mind back in the day....very edgy, not a nice atmosphere..thing ccs attacked the roadies after the gig? Was that the cameo?
    Last edited by Dalianwanda; 13-02-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    AC⚡DC in the Olympic Stadium in Berlin. They might have been brilliant but the sound was reaching me milliseconds apart from 2 different sources making it distorted.