hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Smashing Pumpkins at the SECC, must have been about 2001. The band clearly didn’t want to be there, put in a half arsed effort and the sound was poor.

Primal Scream supporting The Stone Roses at Glasgow Green. I expected them to be up for a good show in front of a home crowd, but Bobby Gillespie just looked miserable.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vein View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oasis at the SECC 1997. Someone threw a quarter bottle of vodka on the stage and they stormed off. Was just reading there that they had played for around 50 minutes, my hazy memories had them down as only playing a few songs before walking off. Was a poisonous atmosphere after that trying to get out the SECC.

Contrast to that one of my best gigs was the night before at the barrowlands watching black grape. Then sandwiched in between the concerts was the small matter of the hibs game at ibrox. Oh to be 16 again!!!
    I saw them the night after, it was the day after Rangers beat us 1-0 at Ibrox with a dodgy pen, Gattusso, Porrini and Amarouso were sat in the seats right in front of me so I got to give Amarouso and Gattusso pelters, I let Porrini alone as he looked liked a mad man

Travis were supporting and I'd never heard of them at that point, think they just had a loyal following in the weege at the time, they put on one of the worst sets I've ever witnessed and I've hated them ever since

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vein View Post

Contrast to that one of my best gigs was the night before at the barrowlands watching black grape. Then sandwiched in between the concerts was the small matter of the hibs game at ibrox. Oh to be 16 again!!!
    Ohhh there's another one.😆 Black Grape at the Forum.

Started off like a train. Superb for about 3 or 4 numbers.

Then the drugs wore off....or kicked in 😂 By song 7, they were a mess. I left after about 9 or 10.

Stop doing this to me, guys. I like to put these memories in a big airtight box....

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Feeder at one of the O2s in Glasgow, 2010 I think. An hour and a half of distorted noise. Think they were trying to reinvent themselves or something.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    Smashing Pumpkins at the SECC, must have been about 2001. The band clearly didn’t want to be there, put in a half arsed effort and the sound was poor.
    Seen them on their reunion tour. They were absolutely terrible and for some reason Billy Corgan must have wanted the fans to leave when he was still on stage at the end so had a big meltdown on stage. Really weird gig and completely unenjoyable.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    I remember falling asleep standing up at a deer hunter gig but I suppose that wasn't really their fault.

I was going to that many gigs when living in Dublin that I'd just leave if I wasn't feeling it so never really had a worst gig as I was always gone.

Most dissapointing was probably FKA Twigs at Primavera Festival. Mainly because going to that festival was a thing I based my whole year around for 7 years. I loved it & always on a massive buzz day one! She was the first thing I saw one year, she was the opener. She was on a big stage herself during the day which isn't easy in the first place, her sound went, her laptop played up & for half the gig she just spent dancing and whooping to some muffled tunes. Very underwhelming.....

For some reason The Farm springs to mind back in the day....very edgy, not a nice atmosphere..thing ccs attacked the roadies after the gig? Was that the cameo?
    Farm gig you speak of was at Cav, canny mind what it was called at the time. Was pretty radge.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    The killers at the SECC touring their first album. They were totally disinterested and I still hold a grudge against them.

Ian Brown at the corn exchange, the sound barely worked. Seen him loads and always very good live but that night was a write off. Although did see him at the O2 once and he was chatting about a champions league match a night or two before, think it was Rangers. I’ve now forgotten what we thought he said but it was either no surrender or f the IRA. Me and my mate both looked at each other and asked the same question if he said what we thought he had. Never heard it mentioned anywhere so we possibly misheard but I have my doubts.

The worst was Marnie Stern in Glasgow. Was in a small venue like the caves in Edinburgh. They were stop start all night, she can’t sing live, and the banter during all the stop start breaks was excruciating. Made worse by the fact there was nowhere to hide and avoid eye contact during the awkwardness given how small a gig it was. Think we left after about 3 songs in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Meatloaf in Las Vegas 3 or 4 years ago. He hobbled round the stage like someone who had had a hip replacement that morning, the singing was awful and we were treated to various sermon like speeches about how great God/America/his family is.
    Meatloaf at Secc was absolute *****e too. Worst concert ever. We left after 30mins

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    Meatloaf at Secc was absolute *****e too. Worst concert ever. We left after 30mins
    there's a documentary about this tool on tour somewhere. His female singers thought he was a sleazeball and his manager just thought he was an attention seeking knob.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    Social Distortion at the garage in Glasgow. Was the first time, perhaps the only time, they've played in Scotland and I'd never seen them before. For a band with so many classic songs and some great albums they did what seemed like a whole set of slow paced country type rock and almost none of the classic tunes.
    Most disappointing.
    I was at that one as well, thought it wasn’t too bad, though knew what to expect as had seen them at Rebellion a few weeks previous.
    Though that reminds me of seeing the Supersuckers at O2abc when they done a country set, wasn’t the best!

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Farm gig you speak of was at Cav, canny mind what it was called at the time. Was pretty radge.
    Ahhh yeah the Cavendish...It was kinda hazy, thanks
    Last edited by Dalianwanda; 16-02-2021 at 07:53 AM.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Was at the last ever Stone Roses gig at Hampden a few years back. I enjoyed it but there was a number of ********s out in force at the gig.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

We got free tickets for a Britpop festival gig at the O2 in Glasgow, Geneva and The Supernaturals were brutal, sounded like they hadn't played together for years and it showed, on the other hand Chris Helme (Seahorses) and Nigel Clark (Dodgy) were excellent though, seen them both again at Vicky Baths venue a year later.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Another from me is Bob Dylan at the Playhouse, must have been 2008/09ish.

No interaction with the crowd, which is standard for him. Backing band were fine but emotionless and his voice was shot. It was like a cross between a William Shatner spoken album and a slurring drunk singing karaoke. Most of the crowd lapped it up because it was seeing Bob Dylan live but I was tempted to leave after about 3 songs.
    I was sat next to Jackie McNamara in the circle at that gig, oddly enough. Never bothered going to see Dylan again after that gig, was definitely a case of diminishing returns each time. You know his voice is what it is, but live it was getting difficult to even distinguish what song he was singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Velvet underground early 70's in the Caley (I think) I know Lou Reed isn't one to get the crowd jumping but he just couldn't be arsed and he was totally out of it. A total borefest.
    If it was the early 70s it would either be a Lou Reed solo gig or the Velvet Underground with Doug Yule after Lou had left as they never played in Europe with Lou (or any of the original members I think) until they reformed in the 90s. And I know a lot of people will say the 1993 gigs are the Playhouse could be included in this thread, but I enjoyed the one I went to.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Was at the last ever Stone Roses gig at Hampden a few years back. I enjoyed it but there was a number of ********s out in force at the gig.
    See the above and Oasis (and now probably Gerry Cinnamon) for absolute helmet magnets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    See the above and Oasis (and now probably Gerry Cinnamon) for absolute helmet magnets.

All these bands are followed by neds My niece(now 41) grew up during the Stone Roses and loved them but hated their farewell gig due to the bellends in the crowd tossing piss and generally being dicks.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    We got free tickets for a Britpop festival gig at the O2 in Glasgow, Geneva and The Supernaturals were brutal, sounded like they hadn't played together for years and it showed, on the other hand Chris Helme (Seahorses) and Nigel Clark (Dodgy) were excellent though, seen them both again at Vicky Baths venue a year later.
    Chris Helme is excellent live, seen him a few times. Oops wrong thread!

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    The Exploited at the Triangle Club in Pilton.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Not sure if this was what was really meant but I was at a Stingrays gig in about 86ish in the Endrick Hotel in Alloa. Was a nightmare, took the worst whitey ever, slid under the table, spewed everywhere and went to sleep in it. No idea how good, bad or indifferent the band were but definitely up there with my worst gig experience!
    A mate of mine has missed dozens of concerts due to substance abuse, even though he was actually there. He slept through Led Zeppelin at Knebworth in 79! Their last ever gig before John Bonham died.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    The Courteeners can be added to that too.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    All these bands are followed by neds My niece(now 41) grew up during the Stone Roses and loved them but hated their farewell gig due to the bellends in the crowd tossing piss and generally being dicks.
    It’s a bit like Hibs games at Hampden. Far too many folk who can’t handle all day drinking and overly cut ching. I would say tho, tho be throwing if cups of piss us a myth. I’ve been to hundreds of gigs, many with the type of crowd being discussed and I genuinely don’t think folk throw piss. Pints of lager aye.

It’s a bit like Hibs games at Hampden. Far too many folk who can’t handle all day drinking and overly cut ching. I would say tho, tho be throwing if cups of piss us a myth. I’ve been to hundreds of gigs, many with the type of crowd being discussed and I genuinely don’t think folk throw piss. Pints of lager aye.
    Seen it happen on more than one occasion at T in the Park. That was a haven for absolute pricks, that festival.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    I worked at two Robbie Williams gigs at Murrayfield around 2004. His show was superb but one of the support acts was Kelly Osbourne. Truly bad performance with poor sound in a mostly empty stadium and crap material was the worst performance I have ever seen and I fell asleep during the Waterboys at the Playhouse. Given the set length available during a full day event I think it counts as a gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Queen and the Teardrop Explodes at Ingliston in the early 80's was without doubt the most horrendous gig i've ever attended. The smell was agricultural, but the acoustics were like listening to the songs played down a toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Curried View Post
    Queen and the Teardrop Explodes at Ingliston in the early 80's was without doubt the most horrendous gig i've ever attended. The smell was agricultural, but the acoustics were like listening to the songs played down a toilet bowl.
    I'd suggest that's a huge improvement on what Queen normally sound like

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curried View Post
    I enjoyed it.

https://youtu.be/r4xRRQaun6s

Another one was Four Tet also at The Barrowland s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I rest my case.

I used to run a gig venue in Aberdeen and had the ‘pleasure’ of hosting The Fall. Now, I know you’re not supposed to speak ill of the dead but what and complete cock Mark E Smith was. Awful man and awful show. Genuinely felt sorry for the fans in the half full venue, who’d forked out £40 a ticket. Hilariously though, the reaction in The Fall fans forum was really positive. 🤦🏻

I used to run a gig venue in Aberdeen and had the ‘pleasure’ of hosting The Fall. Now, I know you’re not supposed to speak ill of the dead but what and complete cock Mark E Smith was. Awful man and awful show. Genuinely felt sorry for the fans in the half full venue, who’d forked out £40 a ticket. Hilariously though, the reaction in The Fall fans forum was really positive. ����
    What venue was that and what year roughly? Was it the Lemon Tree by chance?

Billy Bragg once said - "There are two types of people - those that like Mark E Smith and those who have met him".