hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We’ve got a few musical threads on this forum, but wanted to get your input on songs that, whether it was the first time you ever heard them or still to this day left you thinking “wow!” so not necessarily brilliant songs, but stunning ones.

(Reason for this thread, and why it sprung to mind is I’m currently in my car, waiting on my wife returning with her mum from her mum’s COVID vaccination, and Radiohead’s “How to Disappear Completely” came on my Spotify, and it’s one such song. Haunting, melancholy, uplifting, beautiful, disturbing at various stages throughout. It is, imho, an absolute work of genius).
    Great thread 👏🏻

I agree with Radiohead - “Everything in its Right Place” is another one. For me this type of “stop you in your tracks” song tends to be the more melancholy ones.

Few that I think fit the bill for me.. firstly The Beach Boys. “Caroline, No” or “Don’t Stop..” from Pet Sounds. Just amazing songs, such a mood of their own.

Kinda similar song, first came across it by Arctic Monkeys covering but love the original is “Only You Know” by Dion. What a voice.

A song that I’ve been listening to almost daily recently would be “It’s a very deep sea” by The Style Council. Hard to describe why exactly but it’s a classic song

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    As mentioned by others, Radiohead have many incredible songs. When OK Computer came out I used to listen to it endlessly, lying in bed trying to understand how an album could be so good.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Cloudbusting always stops me in my tracks.

Just love it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Mothership by Enter Shikari

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Anyone gone through a bad time will understand "hello darkness my old friend" the sound of silence. Originally Simon and Gartfunkel of course but my favourite version is by Nouela. Just makes me cry. If you've been there you will understand.
    Powerful version. Recently bumped into the Disturbed version of the song which is a slightly different take again but has the darkness that the lyrics deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    The first time I heard Oh Yeah by Can I thought I was in another place

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    The first time I heard Oh Yeah by Can I thought I was in another place

Me too......Timeless.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Debaser by Pixies is another one. They've got so many tunes that aren't just great, but they don't outstay their welcome.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

This song was dug up in the Life Aquatic a few years back, and i'm so glad, it blows my mind:-)

Watching this video for the first time certainly blew my mind. I didn't realise they were both members of The Buggles...

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I’d have to say Born Slippy live at T In The Park 1995. From my blurred recollection I’d left Kylie to go and catch Underworld in the king tuts tent. I hadn’t heard of them prior to the run up to the festival. Born Slippy just blew my mind & went on for ages just building and building into the joyous cacophony we know. I went straight out on the monday and got Dubnobasswiyhmyheadman only for it not to be on it!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    I’d have to say Born Slippy live at T In The Park 1995. From my blurred recollection I’d left Kylie to go and catch Underworld in the king tuts tent. I hadn’t heard of them prior to the run up to the festival. Born Slippy just blew my mind & went on for ages just building and building into the joyous cacophony we know. I went straight out on the monday and got Dubnobasswiyhmyheadman only for it not to be on it!
    I had similar when I saw Leftfield for the first time at the Homelands festival, and they played Phat Planet. I'm honestly not that much of a dance music fan (the likes of Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Moby are about the extent of it!).

I was a fan of Leftfield already and knew the song, but for whatever reason I didn't expect them to 'play' it (I thought it would be all electronic, done through a Mac etc) so when they opened up with the thumping drum (think they made it specially for that song, with super-bass or something) I was blown away. It was incredible.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I had similar when I saw Leftfield for the first time at the Homelands festival, and they played Phat Planet. I'm honestly not that much of a dance music fan (the likes of Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Moby are about the extent of it!).

I was a fan of Leftfield already and knew the song, but for whatever reason I didn't expect them to 'play' it (I thought it would be all electronic, done through a Mac etc) so when they opened up with the thumping drum (think they made it specially for that song, with super-bass or something) I was blown away. It was incredible.
    Was that when Homelands was down in Cumnock? I was there as well, Leftfield were superb, so much so that I went to see them again at T in the Park a few weeks later.

My immediate thought was Radiohead with Everything In It's Right Place, but I see that's already been mentioned.

Roads by Portishead is another one and Groove Armada with At The River, with that silky smooth sample of Patti Pages 'Old Cape Cod' is just mesmerising, and listened to at dusk after a nice hot summers day with a cold beer is heaven.

I was born in the early 80s so the whole Britpop, chillout and trip-hop genres were in full swing by the time I hit my teens, so a lot of my musical enjoyment was borne from this type of music. Jeff Buckley, Morcheeba, Portishead, Radiohead, Doves, Turn Brakes, Elbow, Massive Attack, Air, Zero 7 all bands who's music I love and that's just off the top of my head, if I was to go through my old music/cd/record collection I could list dozens more.

Bitter sweet Sympathy- The Verve
    Disarm - The Smashing Pumkins
    Breed - Nirvana

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    Was that when Homelands was down in Cumnock? I was there as well, Leftfield were superb, so much so that I went to see them again at T in the Park a few weeks later.
    Yeah, highlights were Moby and Leftfield, and after that my memory is quite fuzzy for a number of tablet-sized reasons!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I’ve seen them a couple of times. Once when they did Leftism in its entirety, that was unreal! The second where they went a bit more artsy, the first few tunes were just to build mood, i didn’t know them and it was getting a bit chilly so i bailed......(heard later it turned into one of the sets of the weekend.......that’s the festival gamble 😉)

Last edited by northstandhibby; 29-05-2021 at 04:56 PM.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    First time I heard Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode live I genuinely lost it. After seeing them perform it over 50 times, I still get goosebumps. And gave to fight back the tears. Just a perfect pop song and so good live.

The other live track I genuinely feel privileged to have heard on a number of occasions is Purple Rain by Prince. Totally mind blowing. So sad that I won’t get to experience it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    First time I heard Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode live I genuinely lost it. After seeing them perform it over 50 times, I still get goosebumps. And gave to fight back the tears. Just a perfect pop song and so good live.

The other live track I genuinely feel privileged to have heard on a number of occasions is Purple Rain by Prince. Totally mind blowing. So sad that I won’t get to experience it again.
    I was working at his concert at Meadowbank in the early 90's. I wasn't even a fan, until I heard him live, he had a tremendous voice.

Wouldn't describe my choice as mind blowing, I just love listening to it - Travelling Willbury's, Handle With Care.

Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Always lifts me up and makes me contemplate what is important in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    I was working at his concert at Meadowbank in the early 90's. I wasn't even a fan, until I heard him live, he had a tremendous voice.
    That's the only concert I've ever been to, still not got over the fact that TTF never came on. 😉

Last edited by northstandhibby; 11-06-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Funny how many of the same bands appear, and couple are same for me despite not being at the top of my favourite artist lists. Obviously part of it is some styles just lend themselves to the blowing of minds more than others.

Pink Floyd - wish you were here
    Radiohead - fake plastic trees
    Rolling Stones - let it loose/wild horses/can’t you hear me knocking
    Stone roses - elephant stone (full intro version)
    EmmyLou Harris - Goodbye (Steve Earle cover)

Afternoon delight. No idea why but it’s an ear worm for me.

Starland Vocal Band.

Servo - The Brian Jonestown Massacre
    Silver - DMA'S
    Kowalski- Primal scream

Redemption song - Johnny cash /joe strummer

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    I'm 65, but Dakota By Stereophonics gets me bouncing like a young 'un, I just love this song

Left by mutual consent!

Great band. One of my favourite songs.