hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Songs that blow your mind

We’ve got a few musical threads on this forum, but wanted to get your input on songs that, whether it was the first time you ever heard them or still to this day left you thinking “wow!” so not necessarily brilliant songs, but stunning ones.

(Reason for this thread, and why it sprung to mind is I’m currently in my car, waiting on my wife returning with her mum from her mum’s COVID vaccination, and Radiohead’s “How to Disappear Completely” came on my Spotify, and it’s one such song. Haunting, melancholy, uplifting, beautiful, disturbing at various stages throughout. It is, imho, an absolute work of genius).

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Agree totally about How To Disappear Completely. And loads of other Radiohead stuff.

Difficult to pin down individual songs though, if you're looking for something moving, haunting and disturbing then The Terror album by The Flaming Lips will do the job, quite astonishing piece of music. I'd also vote for most of All Is Dream and Deserter's Songs by Mercury Rev, not disturbing but haunting and beautiful.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    If you have a quiet half hour to yourself and if you’ve never heard it before Shine on you Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd especially the later parts to it are mind blowing.

I've only fairly recently got into Kraftwerk.

It is pretty mind-blowing to think that Autobahn is not far off being half a century old.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    "Under the Bridge", Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Radio 1 (I think) ran a version of Jukebox Jury on Friday about 6.00pm at the time (1992) and I was waiting on my train home in the Waverley and listening on my Walkman.

I was gobsmacked - I remember that it instantly made me think of the Stones' "You can't alway get what you want"

I quite like the Chillis though I've never been a mega fan, but that song really struck me.

Then there was the first time I saw the Proclaimers on Channel 4's The Tube singing live (Throw the R away) - crikey!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree totally about How To Disappear Completely. And loads of other Radiohead stuff.

Difficult to pin down individual songs though, if you're looking for something moving, haunting and disturbing then The Terror album by The Flaming Lips will do the job, quite astonishing piece of music. I'd also vote for most of All Is Dream and Deserter's Songs by Mercury Rev, not disturbing but haunting and beautiful.
    Good shout.

Radiohead aren’t everybody’s cup of tea but i honestly think they’re astonishingly good. Like you say, there’s a few of their tracks that are incredible in different ways.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    I nominate Wind of Change by The Scorpions. They’re maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but I really like the haunting melody and lyrics. More importantly, some songs are just so appropriate for their time and Wind of Change echoes the collapse of communist domination in Europe and expresses hope for peace in the future.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Golden Brown bybtge Stranglers. Everyone i hear it i just have to sit down, be quiet, and I totally just slip away into a wee world of my own thoughts and memories. Not the most profound lyrics ever but just something about the song that does that to me

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Four come to mind in this category - songs where you rarely skip, and can sit intently listening for the duration, often finding something you hadn't discovered before.

Citizen Erased by Muse - the riff, the atmosphere, the vocals, the transition to a classical finish...
    Talking Heads by Northlane - a perfect representation of Australian metalcore - the drop after the first chorus is absolutely filthy.
    Death Cab for Cutie - they have a few, but Bixby Canyon Bridge is probably my favourite.
    Trilogy by Silent Planet - brutal, relentless, spacy, anthemic and one of the hardest hitting metalcore breakdowns I've heard.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Dance with the Devil by Immortal Technique. I'd listened to rap and hip hop for years when I heard it for the 1st time and it was like nothing else.

Blood of A Young Wolf by Buck 65. I'm not even totally sure I know what it's trying to say but I'm certain it's something important.

Lua by Bright Eyes. Just because it's really simple and brilliant.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I nominate Wind of Change by The Scorpions. They’re maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but I really like the haunting melody and lyrics. More importantly, some songs are just so appropriate for their time and Wind of Change echoes the collapse of communist domination in Europe and expresses hope for peace in the future.
    I was in Switzerland for a Scotland game (2-2) we stayed in a a wee place in The Black Forest, there was no escape from that whistling nonsense! 😉

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Eve - Let Me Blow Your Mind.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Death Cab for Cutie - they have a few, but Bixby Canyon Bridge is probably my favourite.
    Fantastic choice! One of my faves along with Transatlanticism and Grapevine Fires. And lots of others (but definitely none on their last 3 albums!)

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    McFlurry by Sleaford Mods. First song I heard from them and was amazed by the sheer force of anger from Jason Williamson's vocals and the simplicity of the music.

Girls of Summer by Arab Strap.

Machine Gun by Portishead.

The Meaning of the Ritual by Villagers. First seen him support Fyfe Dangerfield in Glasgow and it was just him and his guitar. Hadn't heard him before that and when he shuffled shyly and nervously onto the stage, nobody thought a thing but when he opened his mouth to sing you could have heard the noise of three hundred jaws hitting the ****ing floor. His recorded works don't do justice to how powerful a performer he is when he doesn't have a band and it's just him.

The Anchor Song by Bjork too. Such a simplistic, minimalistic arrangement but the emotion in her vocals is off the scale. Possibly the best (and least compromising) festival headliner I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 12-02-2021 at 05:27 PM.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Good shout about HTDC. Loads of Radiohead songs have that effect if you are able to listen to them properly. Fake Plastic Trees is another example.

I remember being completely overwhelmed at the Eels with Strings gig when he sang Things the Grandchildren Should Know.

I'd owned Blinking Lights and loved it, but somehow seeing and hearing that song live moved me more than I'd ever experienced. My mate was the same. We both just said F#^&£#" hell or something.

Hearing/seeing EC sing Shipbuilding for the first time was amazing too.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

I remember being completely overwhelmed at the Eels with Strings gig when he sang Things the Grandchildren Should Know.

I'd owned Blinking Lights and loved it, but somehow seeing and hearing that song live moved me more than I'd ever experienced. My mate was the same. We both just said F#^&£#" hell or something.

That song gets me every single time, along with Railroad Man from the same album.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    That song gets me every single time, along with Railroad Man from the same album.
    He exorcised all his demons in those songs and the resulting Blinking Lights album was a masterpiece.

I love everything he did up to that, but sadly nothing since has gone close.

I've seen Eels loads of times, and I'll continue to go to their gigs, but they've lost that special edge.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 12-02-2021 at 06:28 PM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    He exorcised all his demons in those songs and the resulting Blinking Lights album was a masterpiece.

I love everything he did up to that, but sadly nothing since has gone close.

I've seen Eels loads of times, and I'll continue to go to their gigs, but they've lost that special edge.
    Your post about Carole King reminded me of one. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow had me in bits this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Did you get to the Eels with Strings tour? If not, get a copy of Eels: Town Hall live DVD.

In fact, get a copy anyway. It's excellent ☺️

Edit: I just checked YouTube. There's a full concert video available. 👍

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I was in Switzerland for a Scotland game (2-2) we stayed in a a wee place in The Black Forest, there was no escape from that whistling nonsense! 😉
    ...... cue a new thread ...... songs featuring ‘whistling’ ........... they’re not all rubbish. 🥴

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    ...... cue a new thread ...... songs featuring ‘whistling’ ........... they’re not all rubbish. 🥴
    Dock of the Bay

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Loaded by Primal Scream.

Angel by Massive Attack.

76 14 by Global Communication.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    There’s also an amazing version of Comfortably Numb, sang by Van Morrison that appears in the film ‘The Departed’ - magical

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Anyone gone through a bad time will understand "hello darkness my old friend" the sound of silence. Originally Simon and Gartfunkel of course but my favourite version is by Nouela. Just makes me cry. If you've been there you will understand.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Dock of the Bay
    Me and Julio down by the schoolyard.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Springtime by Leatherface, one of the best punk rock songs ever written - in my opinion
    Lyrically its well crafted and musically its simply superb. Frankie Stubbs gravelly vocals aren't going to be everyone's cup of tea but for me this is just perfection.

https://youtu.be/oZQ_7s0Fg48
    Last edited by degenerated; 12-02-2021 at 10:50 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Don't make me cry by Storyville. Folded after three albums (I think)
    Malford Milligan is an amazing singer and great front man. Lots on youtube, well worth a listen.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I'm losing more than i'll ever have -
    Primal Scream. Its utterly fantastic and raw emotion.

The Soft Parade - The Doors.
    Its a musical masterpiece.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    We’ve got a few musical threads on this forum, but wanted to get your input on songs that, whether it was the first time you ever heard them or still to this day left you thinking “wow!” so not necessarily brilliant songs, but stunning ones.

(Reason for this thread, and why it sprung to mind is I’m currently in my car, waiting on my wife returning with her mum from her mum’s COVID vaccination, and Radiohead’s “How to Disappear Completely” came on my Spotify, and it’s one such song. Haunting, melancholy, uplifting, beautiful, disturbing at various stages throughout. It is, imho, an absolute work of genius).
    Totally agree and you could add The Pyramid Song to that along with a couple of other quite unbelievable Radiohead songs. As a band, they are quite simply one of the most creative and innovative bands ever.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakersO'Toole View Post
    Totally agree and you could add The Pyramid Song to that along with a couple of other quite unbelievable Radiohead songs. As a band, they are quite simply one of the most creative and innovative bands ever.
    Myxomatosis too.