hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 55
  1. #1
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    44,153
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee

    Songs that blow your mind

    We’ve got a few musical threads on this forum, but wanted to get your input on songs that, whether it was the first time you ever heard them or still to this day left you thinking “wow!” so not necessarily brilliant songs, but stunning ones.

    (Reason for this thread, and why it sprung to mind is I’m currently in my car, waiting on my wife returning with her mum from her mum’s COVID vaccination, and Radiohead’s “How to Disappear Completely” came on my Spotify, and it’s one such song. Haunting, melancholy, uplifting, beautiful, disturbing at various stages throughout. It is, imho, an absolute work of genius).


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    63
    Posts
    16,407
    Agree totally about How To Disappear Completely. And loads of other Radiohead stuff.

    Difficult to pin down individual songs though, if you're looking for something moving, haunting and disturbing then The Terror album by The Flaming Lips will do the job, quite astonishing piece of music. I'd also vote for most of All Is Dream and Deserter's Songs by Mercury Rev, not disturbing but haunting and beautiful.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Embra
    Age
    64
    Posts
    234
    If you have a quiet half hour to yourself and if you’ve never heard it before Shine on you Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd especially the later parts to it are mind blowing.

  5. #4
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    43
    Posts
    14,633
    I've only fairly recently got into Kraftwerk.

    It is pretty mind-blowing to think that Autobahn is not far off being half a century old.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    26,213
    "Under the Bridge", Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

    Radio 1 (I think) ran a version of Jukebox Jury on Friday about 6.00pm at the time (1992) and I was waiting on my train home in the Waverley and listening on my Walkman.

    I was gobsmacked - I remember that it instantly made me think of the Stones' "You can't alway get what you want"

    I quite like the Chillis though I've never been a mega fan, but that song really struck me.

    Then there was the first time I saw the Proclaimers on Channel 4's The Tube singing live (Throw the R away) - crikey!

  7. #6
    Administrator matty_f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    44,153
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree totally about How To Disappear Completely. And loads of other Radiohead stuff.

    Difficult to pin down individual songs though, if you're looking for something moving, haunting and disturbing then The Terror album by The Flaming Lips will do the job, quite astonishing piece of music. I'd also vote for most of All Is Dream and Deserter's Songs by Mercury Rev, not disturbing but haunting and beautiful.
    Good shout.

    Radiohead aren’t everybody’s cup of tea but i honestly think they’re astonishingly good. Like you say, there’s a few of their tracks that are incredible in different ways.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://anchor.fm/longbangers

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    73
    Posts
    19,387
    Blog Entries
    1
    I nominate Wind of Change by The Scorpions. They’re maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but I really like the haunting melody and lyrics. More importantly, some songs are just so appropriate for their time and Wind of Change echoes the collapse of communist domination in Europe and expresses hope for peace in the future.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee *****y of course
    Posts
    6,322
    Golden Brown bybtge Stranglers. Everyone i hear it i just have to sit down, be quiet, and I totally just slip away into a wee world of my own thoughts and memories. Not the most profound lyrics ever but just something about the song that does that to me

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16,666
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Four come to mind in this category - songs where you rarely skip, and can sit intently listening for the duration, often finding something you hadn't discovered before.

    Citizen Erased by Muse - the riff, the atmosphere, the vocals, the transition to a classical finish...
    Talking Heads by Northlane - a perfect representation of Australian metalcore - the drop after the first chorus is absolutely filthy.
    Death Cab for Cutie - they have a few, but Bixby Canyon Bridge is probably my favourite.
    Trilogy by Silent Planet - brutal, relentless, spacy, anthemic and one of the hardest hitting metalcore breakdowns I've heard.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

  11. #10
    Dance with the Devil by Immortal Technique. I'd listened to rap and hip hop for years when I heard it for the 1st time and it was like nothing else.

    Blood of A Young Wolf by Buck 65. I'm not even totally sure I know what it's trying to say but I'm certain it's something important.

    Lua by Bright Eyes. Just because it's really simple and brilliant.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  12. #11
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    50
    Posts
    18,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I nominate Wind of Change by The Scorpions. They’re maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but I really like the haunting melody and lyrics. More importantly, some songs are just so appropriate for their time and Wind of Change echoes the collapse of communist domination in Europe and expresses hope for peace in the future.
    I was in Switzerland for a Scotland game (2-2) we stayed in a a wee place in The Black Forest, there was no escape from that whistling nonsense! 😉

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pride Park, Bulgaria
    Posts
    6,860
    Eve - Let Me Blow Your Mind.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    63
    Posts
    16,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Death Cab for Cutie - they have a few, but Bixby Canyon Bridge is probably my favourite.
    .
    Fantastic choice! One of my faves along with Transatlanticism and Grapevine Fires. And lots of others (but definitely none on their last 3 albums!)

  15. #14
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,313
    McFlurry by Sleaford Mods. First song I heard from them and was amazed by the sheer force of anger from Jason Williamson's vocals and the simplicity of the music.

    Girls of Summer by Arab Strap.

    Machine Gun by Portishead.

    The Meaning of the Ritual by Villagers. First seen him support Fyfe Dangerfield in Glasgow and it was just him and his guitar. Hadn't heard him before that and when he shuffled shyly and nervously onto the stage, nobody thought a thing but when he opened his mouth to sing you could have heard the noise of three hundred jaws hitting the ****ing floor. His recorded works don't do justice to how powerful a performer he is when he doesn't have a band and it's just him.

    The Anchor Song by Bjork too. Such a simplistic, minimalistic arrangement but the emotion in her vocals is off the scale. Possibly the best (and least compromising) festival headliner I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 12-02-2021 at 05:27 PM.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    45,183
    Good shout about HTDC. Loads of Radiohead songs have that effect if you are able to listen to them properly. Fake Plastic Trees is another example.

    I remember being completely overwhelmed at the Eels with Strings gig when he sang Things the Grandchildren Should Know.

    I'd owned Blinking Lights and loved it, but somehow seeing and hearing that song live moved me more than I'd ever experienced. My mate was the same. We both just said F#^&£#" hell or something.

    Hearing/seeing EC sing Shipbuilding for the first time was amazing too.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  17. #16
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .

    I remember being completely overwhelmed at the Eels with Strings gig when he sang Things the Grandchildren Should Know.

    I'd owned Blinking Lights and loved it, but somehow seeing and hearing that song live moved me more than I'd ever experienced. My mate was the same. We both just said F#^&£#" hell or something.

    .
    That song gets me every single time, along with Railroad Man from the same album.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    45,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That song gets me every single time, along with Railroad Man from the same album.
    He exorcised all his demons in those songs and the resulting Blinking Lights album was a masterpiece.

    I love everything he did up to that, but sadly nothing since has gone close.

    I've seen Eels loads of times, and I'll continue to go to their gigs, but they've lost that special edge.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 12-02-2021 at 06:28 PM.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    26,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He exorcised all his demons in those songs and the resulting Blinking Lights album was a masterpiece.

    I love everything he did up to that, but sadly nothing since has gone close.

    I've seen Eels loads of times, and I'll continue to go to their gigs, but they've lost that special edge.
    Your post about Carole King reminded me of one. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow had me in bits this afternoon.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    45,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That song gets me every single time, along with Railroad Man from the same album.
    Did you get to the Eels with Strings tour? If not, get a copy of Eels: Town Hall live DVD.

    In fact, get a copy anyway. It's excellent ☺️

    Edit: I just checked YouTube. There's a full concert video available. 👍

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    73
    Posts
    19,387
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was in Switzerland for a Scotland game (2-2) we stayed in a a wee place in The Black Forest, there was no escape from that whistling nonsense! 😉
    ...... cue a new thread ...... songs featuring ‘whistling’ ........... they’re not all rubbish. 🥴

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    26,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...... cue a new thread ...... songs featuring ‘whistling’ ........... they’re not all rubbish. 🥴
    Dock of the Bay

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The wrong side of 30
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,632
    Loaded by Primal Scream.

    Angel by Massive Attack.

    76 14 by Global Communication.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The wrong side of 30
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,632
    There’s also an amazing version of Comfortably Numb, sang by Van Morrison that appears in the film ‘The Departed’ - magical

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,051
    Anyone gone through a bad time will understand "hello darkness my old friend" the sound of silence. Originally Simon and Gartfunkel of course but my favourite version is by Nouela. Just makes me cry. If you've been there you will understand.

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    53
    Posts
    26,213
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dock of the Bay
    Me and Julio down by the schoolyard.

  27. #26
    Veni, Vidi, Posti degenerated's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    At a post-punk postcard fair
    Age
    50
    Posts
    10,824
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: dave7062
    Springtime by Leatherface, one of the best punk rock songs ever written - in my opinion
    Lyrically its well crafted and musically its simply superb. Frankie Stubbs gravelly vocals aren't going to be everyone's cup of tea but for me this is just perfection.

    https://youtu.be/oZQ_7s0Fg48
    Last edited by degenerated; 12-02-2021 at 10:50 PM.

  28. #27
    Don't make me cry by Storyville. Folded after three albums (I think)
    Malford Milligan is an amazing singer and great front man. Lots on youtube, well worth a listen.

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Broxburn
    Posts
    18,546
    I'm losing more than i'll ever have -
    Primal Scream. Its utterly fantastic and raw emotion.

    The Soft Parade - The Doors.
    Its a musical masterpiece.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    4,453
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We’ve got a few musical threads on this forum, but wanted to get your input on songs that, whether it was the first time you ever heard them or still to this day left you thinking “wow!” so not necessarily brilliant songs, but stunning ones.

    (Reason for this thread, and why it sprung to mind is I’m currently in my car, waiting on my wife returning with her mum from her mum’s COVID vaccination, and Radiohead’s “How to Disappear Completely” came on my Spotify, and it’s one such song. Haunting, melancholy, uplifting, beautiful, disturbing at various stages throughout. It is, imho, an absolute work of genius).
    Totally agree and you could add The Pyramid Song to that along with a couple of other quite unbelievable Radiohead songs. As a band, they are quite simply one of the most creative and innovative bands ever.

  31. #30
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,313
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakersO'Toole View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally agree and you could add The Pyramid Song to that along with a couple of other quite unbelievable Radiohead songs. As a band, they are quite simply one of the most creative and innovative bands ever.
    Myxomatosis too.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)