hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hibs statement - historical child abuse

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/club-statement-2

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Kano Kirsty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/club-statement-2
    Read bits of the report this morning and the fact Hibs seem to be refusing to admit that beast McCafferty worked for the club is scandalous. Hopefully the victims can get full personal apologies from the clubs and compensated accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Read bits of the report this morning and the fact Hibs seem to be refusing to admit that beast McCafferty worked for the club is scandalous. Hopefully the victims can get full personal apologies from the clubs and compensated accordingly.

Where did you read that?

(genuine question, I haven't been following this)

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Yup, not good enough I’m afraid.

Different era and all that, but Hibs should be making an unequivocal apology for anything the club did - or failed to do - which may have aided those responsible to carrying on abusing young people.

Not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Where did you read that?

(genuine question, I haven't been following this)
    In the report itself:

‘E’s departure from Celtic FC feature in press reports from the time. Despite this being widely reported he was apparently then able to secure employment at Hibernian FC as a kitman and thereafter the Review understands he was at Falkirk FC in the same capacity until his retirement. (Hibernian FC and Falkirk FC have confirmed to the Review that they have no existing records pertaining to his employment although Falkirk have confirmed verbally that he was employed there. There is also existing film footage of him working at Hibernian FC).’

Whether there are records or not we all know he worked with the club. The club should have been up front in admitting that and making amends via the report.

Coaching Staff
    First and foremost thoughts and prayers have to be for all the victims of the awful abuse committed and the irreparable suffering caused, physically and mentally.

I'd hope - and I'm sure it will happen - that the club undertake a review and investigate the findings. The victims of abuse deserve that at the very least. It's the only way clubs can reflect, review, and improve procedures. It's paramount that children are safe from harm in all walks of life.

I can only say that currently the child protection in place at Hibs is exemplary from having spoken to parents of children currently at the club across all age groups - and Davie Flynn and staff have the utmost regard for child protection and safety for everyone at the club.

In the report itself:

‘E’s departure from Celtic FC feature in press reports from the time. Despite this being widely reported he was apparently then able to secure employment at Hibernian FC as a kitman and thereafter the Review understands he was at Falkirk FC in the same capacity until his retirement. (Hibernian FC and Falkirk FC have confirmed to the Review that they have no existing records pertaining to his employment although Falkirk have confirmed verbally that he was employed there. There is also existing film footage of him working at Hibernian FC).’

Whether there are records or not we all know he worked with the club. The club should have been up front in admitting that and making amends via the report.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    First and foremost thoughts and prayers have to be for all the victims of the awful abuse committed and the irreparable suffering caused, physically and mentally.

I'd hope - and I'm sure it will happen - that the club undertake a review and investigate the findings. The victims of abuse deserve that at the very least. It's the only way clubs can reflect, review, and improve procedures. It's paramount that children are safe from harm in all walks of life.

I can only say that currently the child protection in place at Hibs is exemplary from having spoken to parents of children currently at the club across all age groups - and Davie Flynn and staff have the utmost regard for child protection and safety for everyone at the club.

It should have started with a genuine and unequivocal apology today and we’ve blown it.

This report has not come out of the blue. Hibs have had many months to understand what would come out of it.
    Last edited by jacomo; 11-02-2021 at 04:32 PM.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Have there been any complaints about McCafferty whilst he worked at Hibs ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-west-48253520

This article from 2019 says there had been no complaints made during his time at Hibs or Falkirk.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    It should have started with a genuine and unequivocal apology today and we’ve blown it.

This report has not come out of the blue. Hibs have had many months to understand what would come out of it.
    Yup. Very, very disappointed.

Coaching Staff

There will rightly be a lot of emotion today, for the victims especially - but like any historic offences, there needs to be an element of calm and the club need to (in quick time) digest the report/review and then (hopefully) make a more measured and in-depth review and response.

The staff at the club now, including ownership, has changed and were not around at the time of these horrific crimes. All I am suggesting is the club take full cognisance of the report and plan a comprehensive review - I've worked on child protection cases and they are complex, balancing the needs of the victims first and foremost, against investigating individuals who were both involved and either complicit in their inaction or sadly in many cases their neglect to intervene.

I would expect - and I'd want - the club to engage with victims and other partner agencies, including the police, to form a more rigorous and balanced response - I agree Jacamo that an apology (and more) is required, but I'll await what happens in the coming weeks and months before jumping to a conclusion that the club have 'blown it'.

My thoughts are with the victims, always. But I agree wholeheartedly that the club need to come out with a far more meticulous response in the near future.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    The Gordon Neely case also springs to mind :

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/missed...o-stop-abuser/

@hibs.net private member
    Protecting the club against compensation claims from the victims perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    The Gordon Neely case also springs to mind :

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/missed...o-stop-abuser/

This is just one case and absolutely part of it.

Very poor statement indeed.

There are voids at Hibs at the moment where the heart and brain should be.

It needs sorted pronto.

There will rightly be a lot of emotion today, for the victims especially - but like any historic offences, there needs to be an element of calm and the club need to (in quick time) digest the report/review and then (hopefully) make a more measured and in-depth review and response.

The staff at the club now, including ownership, has changed and were not around at the time of these horrific crimes. All I am suggesting is the club take full cognisance of the report and plan a comprehensive review - I've worked on child protection cases and they are complex, balancing the needs of the victims first and foremost, against investigating individuals who were both involved and either complicit in their inaction or sadly in many cases their neglect to intervene.

I would expect - and I'd want - the club to engage with victims and other partner agencies, including the police, to form a more rigorous and balanced response - I agree Jacamo that an apology (and more) is required, but I'll await what happens in the coming weeks and months before jumping to a conclusion that the club have 'blown it'.

My thoughts are with the victims, always. But I agree wholeheartedly that the club need to come out with a far more meticulous response in the near future.

The interim report came out in 2018. I’m really struggling to understand why we have not made a better response today.

Coaching Staff
    The interim report came out in 2018. I’m really struggling to understand why we have not made a better response today.
    Could be a number of things mate, there could be civil proceedings that have been initiated already, many witnesses (or accused) are dead, there could be dialogue legal or otherwise with victims and surviving witnesses, we really don't know. Who knows, there may be criminal proceedings that mean the club have to be careful how they respond.

I'm not arguing against you, trust me, I want the club to provide a far more comprehensive response - I'm just not (at this stage) jumping to any conclusion one way or the other.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Rhoades View Post
    I'm sure everyone would hope that the club's first thought in this issue is not financial. I honestly don't know enough about the guy or his time at Hibs to comment, but there has to be full transparency regarding his employment by the club. Never mind the money or anything else.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Rhoades View Post
    Sadly, I reckon that is a big part of it.

With this pervert and the other predator who was at Hibs, I would say there will be laddies who were abused. These were hard core deviants who worked as part of a broad network of deviants.

“Hibernian FC has issued a response to the report published today concluding the independent review of non-recent sexual abuse in Scottish football. Here’s what Hibs said

A spokesman for Hibernian FC said:

“We would reiterate the view we have expressed in the past, commending the courage of all of the survivors who have come forward to raise this issue, and we deeply regret any suffering that those survivors have endured.

“The review has investigated these non-recent allegations with a view to ensuring they are not repeated. The recommendations have been and continue to be acted upon, and at Hibernian we have made child safety and wellbeing a priority. We have appointed a dedicated and experienced Child Wellbeing and Protection Officer who has been in post since October 1, 2018.”
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 11-02-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Could be a number of things mate, there could be civil proceedings that have been initiated already, many witnesses (or accused) are dead, there could be dialogue legal or otherwise with victims and surviving witnesses

It will almost certainly be this. It's a sad fact of life that this is how the world works. The club will have been advised what to and what not to say.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    “It is understood that there is a widespread perception (within football and outside of it) that, for institutions and organisations, making a public apology would be seen as an admission of ‘liability’ in any possible civil proceedings. This is a regrettable position which has been a real barrier to progress in the past across many institutions affected by non-recent sexual abuse. But, in the opinion of the Independent Review, it signifies a deeper and perhaps more pernicious narrative that those who were abused and who have come forward are doing so with dishonourable intentions or for financial gain. This is contrary to the view of the Independent Review and is a position that requires to be challenged and refuted”.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/7...nal-report.pdf

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    In the report itself:

I'm going to get stick for defending the club again, but all it says is that Hibs have no record of his employment. They're not denying it but can't provide detail.

If nothing underhand happened while he was at Hibs, why should they apologise?

They've acknowledged the release of the report and confirmed the measures that the club has in place.

I don't see the problem myself.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Could be a number of things mate, there could be civil proceedings that have been initiated already, many witnesses (or accused) are dead, there could be dialogue legal or otherwise with victims and surviving witnesses, we really don't know. Who knows, there may be criminal proceedings that mean the club have to be careful how they respond.

I'm not arguing against you, trust me, I want the club to provide a far more comprehensive response - I'm just not (at this stage) jumping to any conclusion one way or the other.
    If Hibs have nothing to answer to then why should they provide a "comprehensive response"?

If something did happen and there's a possibility of legal action, the club can't say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Sadly, I reckon that is a big part of it.

With this pervert and the other predator who was at Hibs, I would say there will be laddies who were abused. These were hard core deviants who worked as part of a broad network of deviants.

“Hibernian FC has issued a response to the report published today concluding the independent review of non-recent sexual abuse in Scottish football. Here’s what Hibs said

A spokesman for Hibernian FC said:

“We would reiterate the view we have expressed in the past, commending the courage of all of the survivors who have come forward to raise this issue, and we deeply regret any suffering that those survivors have endured.

“The review has investigated these non-recent allegations with a view to ensuring they are not repeated. The recommendations have been and continue to be acted upon, and at Hibernian we have made child safety and wellbeing a priority. We have appointed a dedicated and experienced Child Wellbeing and Protection Officer who has been in post since October 1, 2018.”
    Having been left alone as a young boy in his company when he was the kitman, I just find myself very fortunate nothing sinister happened with me.

The fact Hibs have released an apology yet have put it on their website and not linked it to Twitter is mystifying. If the clubs failing mean that victims rightly get compensation then suck it up, don’t hide behind it and try and squirm out of it.

We should be fronting it and leading the way. We aren’t the only club to be hit with it, unfortunately their will be hundreds of clubs up and down the country that have been caught up in it.

Wouldn’t say lying, but refusing to admit that he worked with Hibs when hundreds of individuals were employed over the period and know otherwise, and their is evidence to show he did, shows a complete lack of compassion and remorse regardless of who was or wasn’t leading our club.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I'm going to get stick for defending the club again, but all it says is that Hibs have no record of his employment. They're not denying it but can't provide detail.

They've acknowledged the release of the report and confirmed the measures that the club has in place.

They employed him when it was public knowledge that he had been binned by celtic for his behaviour. If you don’t think that deserves an apology to those affected by him then fair enough.

Nobody has come forward and said they were affected at the club, that doesn’t mean nothing happened and it would be wrong to assume so.

You think he just stopped committing offences when he got to Hibs after years of getting away with it?

Coaching Staff
    If Hibs have nothing to answer to then why should they provide a "comprehensive response"?

If something did happen and there's a possibility of legal action, the club can't say anything.
    Because the review is just out today and the club needs time to fully digest its findings. As I've said, the people at and running the club were not around at the time of these crimes, so its only fair and natural the club takes time to fully consider what's in the report. These are historic offences - the current ownership and other leading people at the club, who had no involvement, may wish to review and investigate - it's what I would do if I was a current CEO or owner of a club. Then, after investigation of the findings, would I be in a better position to provide a comprehensive response.

Because the review is just out today and the club needs time to fully digest its findings. As I've said, the people at and running the club were not around at the time of these crimes, so its only fair and natural the club takes time to fully consider what's in the report. These are historic offences - the current ownership and other leading people at the club, who had no involvement, may wish to review and investigate - it's what I would do if I was a current CEO or owner of a club. Then, after investigation of the findings, would I be in a better position to provide a comprehensive response.
    The report has been going on for years, you’d be seriously naive not to think they know all about what was going to be in it, especially as the interim report was out 3 years ago.

They employed him when it was public knowledge that he had been binned by celtic for his behaviour. If you don’t think that deserves an apology to those affected by him then fair enough.

Nobody has come forward and said they were affected at the club, that doesn’t mean nothing happened and it would be wrong to assume so.

You think he just stopped committing offences when he got to Hibs after years of getting away with it?
    I'm curious. If his behaviour at Celtic was public knowledge why had he not been charged?

I'm unsure what hibs are supposed to do here. It's not a crime to employ a person, if hibs had employed the person with full knowledge of past incidents and/or that persons specific history then there'd be an issue or if one of the victims had mentioned specific incidents that happened under our roof then that's another story but as far as I'm aware none of that has happened and the only person responsible for that persons actions are the employee at the time.

There won't be a soul at the club who has anything to do with this person and without knowing anything about the details they can't possibly comment on it

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I'm curious. If his behaviour at Celtic was public knowledge why had he not been charged?
    You have to bare in mind that public knowledge in those days didn't travel as far or as quickly as public knowledge does these days. If it turns out to be the case that hibs and Falkirk knew then by all accounts more should be done. Until then there really is not a lot more to be addressed.