hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: TV audiences

TV audiences

Saw this regarding the massive falls in TV viewers in American sports this last year and was wondering if a similar thing is happening here with the football?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

That’s pretty interesting. I’d have thought viewing figures for televised sport would be through the roof given there’s little else to do in our spare time at the moment.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    What channels are they on? Could it partly be explained by more viewing through illegal streams which presumably wouldn't be counted?

There's maybe also a more wide ranging disconnect from sport without the ability to be there or due to there being noone there for the atmosphere side of things making them less appealing.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel 1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s pretty interesting. I’d have thought viewing figures for televised sport would be through the roof given there’s little else to do in our spare time at the moment.
    Viewing figures on free to air aport are through the roof.

Those behind a paywall, not so much.

I hardly watch any non hibs football now as it just seems like it is on TV all the time.

@hibs.net private member
    Got to be IPTV related.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Got to be IPTV related.
    Yepp, wouldn’t surprise me one bit

'S' Form
    The Paywall is a factor but I also think for some of the bigger events they have been estimating pub and club crowds. Two folk in the bar count as 60+ depending to the pub licence. So no pubs and automatically that number will go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentalbarnett View Post
    The Paywall is a factor but I also think for some of the bigger events they have been estimating pub and club crowds. Two folk in the bar count as 60+ depending to the pub licence. So no pubs and automatically that number will go down.
    On the pub theme, it could also be that people watch a lot of these things socially and haven't done so this year as they're not actually that bothered about them by themselves.

There's a lot of champions league/anything that isn't Hibs football that I've not watched this year that I would likely have went to the pub for a few pints to watch with friends normally.
    Mon the Hibs.

Sport is soulless and devalued without fans. Commentators struggle to get enthused, sitting on their own or in a studio. Those figures will drop off further, unless we get crowds back into stadia.

Expect there to be a renewed appreciation of what fans bring to sport, once this is all over.

Got to be IPTV related.
    Got to be👍 I’m watching more sport than ever.

Got to be IPTV related.
    Definitely. More and more folk are cottoning on to the fact that you don't need to be paying 30/40 quid a month to the likes of Sky to gain access to the ppv sports channels.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    I need this Iptv fo u just buy it off ebay anyone got a link ? PM me if so , appreciated

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Definitely. More and more folk are cottoning on to the fact that you don't need to be paying 30/40 quid a month to the likes of Sky to gain access to the ppv sports channels.
    Wonder what they'll watch when the tv companies decide it's no worth the cost of broadcasting the games...
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Got to be IPTV related.
    No chance it’s anything to do with iptv. If iptv were taking the viewing figures down by even a fraction of the figures published in the op, the broadcasters would be livid and lobbying the government for action to be taken, they’d be joining forces to make sure all streams were shut down. IPTV is a drop in the ocean when it comes to viewing figures.

United we stand here....

Could be IPTV related, but in the modern world with modern work schedules, a lot of people don't have time to sit for 4 hours and watch the superbowl, all day for the masters, potentially dedicating 6 nights to the world series etc. Don't imagine our figures would be as drastic as football and rugby are much less time consuming (as well as fans being more tribal in their loyalty to their clubs than Americans tend to be)

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    No chance it’s anything to do with iptv. If iptv were taking the viewing figures down by even a fraction of the figures published in the op, the broadcasters would be livid and lobbying the government for action to be taken, they’d be joining forces to make sure all streams were shut down. IPTV is a drop in the ocean when it comes to viewing figures.
    Could partly be down to iptv, Ive not paid for any game in the last 10 yrs. It will just be a matter of time until broadcasters are complaining to govts.

@hibs.net private member
    Most of the people I know have cut down on the amount of football they watch on TV compared to 3 or 4 years ago.

The novelty has worn off and there aren't enough good games. A lot of it is pretty boring stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Most of the people I know have cut down on the amount of football they watch on TV compared to 3 or 4 years ago.

The novelty has worn off and there aren't enough good games. A lot of it is pretty boring stuff.
    If Crystal palace v Burnley doesn't whet your appetite for sports nothing will!
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Exactly. Even Man City v Man Utd or Liverpool wouldn't get me interested. They tend to cancel each other out.

I think that the lack of Scottish players so I can't relate to it and theintroduction of 4 places in the Champions League probably has a lot to do with it. Doesn't really matter who wins the league, it's all about top 4 now.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Unless your a fan of either of these clubs. What do you think the viewing figures are for Hibs v Aberdeen compared to Palace v Burnley? I’d wager the vast majority of Scottish Premiership games viewing figures are poor.

Everyone just watches streams now. I think the actual viewing figures will be very high, I personally am watching plenty of games but I won't be on the statistics.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'm not watching anywhere near as much football as i used to do. I have iptv, but to be perfectly honest, it's used more these days for tv series and films.

I obviously watch Hibs games, and if there is a game that takes my fancy on sky, then i will probably tune in, although apart from seeing Burnley v Crystal Palace is on, and i know that because i saw it mentioned on here, i dont know any other games that are on today or indeed this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Unless your a fan of either of these clubs. What do you think the viewing figures are for Hibs v Aberdeen compared to Palace v Burnley? I’d wager the vast majority of Scottish Premiership games viewing figures are poor.
    Fans of those teams will watch it, but it won't make them any more excited about football generally I wouldn't think.

I'd imagine a fair bit lower but not sure it takes away from the point that football has went beyond its saturation point and there's a huge number of games on. I just used it as an example as it was the first game on sky sports today.

Was Hibs v Aberdeen on TV last weekend? I didn't think it was.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'm not watching anywhere near as much football as i used to do. I have iptv, but to be perfectly honest, it's used more these days for tv series and films.

I obviously watch Hibs games, and if there is a game that takes my fancy on sky, then i will probably tune in, although apart from seeing Burnley v Crystal Palace is on, and i know that because i saw it mentioned on here, i dont know any other games that are on today or indeed this weekend.
    Man U v Man City was excellent last night. 😂

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Man U v Man City was excellent last night. 😂
    Bollox, i was washing my hair.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Surely it cant be iptv related. If your looking at the percentages from the year before as a comparison to this year , then surely iptv would have to be factored into both sets of figures. Its entirely possible that the figures maxed out last year. The global pandemic must surely be a huge part in the decline. I definitely have watched far less sport this past year as it is a hard watch without the fans , and it is a constant reminder of the current crappy climate in which we currently find ourselves living in.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I can’t remember the last game I watched on TV, my change in working hours mean I haven’t seen a televised game for months. Finally get to watch Liverpool at 12.30 today.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 13-02-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Thinking back 7 or 8 years I used to watch any football that was on TV. Going back further to 10 or 12 years and every Sunday was a sesh with mates watching all the live games.

Obviously personal circumstances change a lot in a decade but I rarely watch football on TV now and it's more than just having a long term partner and a child. If there is nothing else on I might watch a bit but that's rare because there is so much choice on what else to watch. I'd genuinely rather watch a good cooking show or travel documentary than a football match.

Even the Hibs games are pretty soulless without fans. I watch them because it's Hibs but I find myself zoning out for long periods. I aceept I'm maybe in the minority with that one though. Being totally honest when watching a game in the pub or even going to a Hibs game the football is often a sideshow. I like meeting my mates or meeting my parents, having a few drinks, a catch up and a laugh. The football is sometimes a vehicle for doing that rather than the main event.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I can’t remember the last game I watched on TV, my change in working hours mean I haven’t seen a televised game for months. Finally get to watch Liverpool at 12.30 today.
    Wish I’d missed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Saw this regarding the massive falls in TV viewers in American sports this last year and was wondering if a similar thing is happening here with the football?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I suspect over here the viewership of say Scottish Football has risen due to clubs streaming direct to their own fans who bought season tickets etc. Would be interesting to find out and maybe see if Roger Mitchel's idea wasn't so far off the mark just a bit visionary.
    Last edited by hibbyfraelibby; 13-02-2021 at 07:22 PM.