hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020 (nhc)

Euro 2020 (nhc)

With the Super Bowl having 20k fans and a fantastic atmosphere helped by various audios and visuals I wonder what are the chances of any fans in Hampden in June?

Assuming the tournament goes ahead which I think UEFA are confident will happen, the suggestion is it will be home fans only to avoid traveling across countries.

So if we make the assumption by say May all over 50s and many under 50s have been vaccinated, we assume infection levels very low given lockdown and vaccine helping restrict transmission, what are the chances of a crowd of some level mid June v Czech?

Even 25% say 12,500 would still make a decent noise but we also know the FM dislikes football and we hardly have any test events on the horizon.

You can just see Wembley with 30k and us with 1,500. 😕
    Last edited by Col2; 09-02-2021 at 10:25 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the Super Bowl having 20k fans and a fantastic atmosphere helped by various audios and visuals I wonder what are the chances of any fans in Hampden in June?

Assuming the tournament goes ahead which I think UEFA are confident will happen, the suggestion is it will be home fans only to avoid traveling across countries.

So if we make the assumption by say May all over 50s and many under 50s have been vaccinated, we assume infection levels very low given lockdown and vaccine helping restrict transmission, what are the chances of a crowd of some level mid June v Czech?

Even 25% say 12,500 would still make a decent noise but we also know the FM dislikes football and we hardly have any test events on the horizon.

I think there may be some fans allowed into Hampden for this but 25% capacity might be pushing it.

It's still over 4 months away though and it's also at the best time of year in terms of virus prevalence so we just need to hope for the best.

Left by mutual consent!

Jason Leitch said last week he was 'confident' the games would go ahead, but 'not confident' about whether fans would be there to see them.

@hibs.net private member
    I've got tickets for the Czech game, the last 16 at Hampden and the Semi final at Wembley but have all but resigned myself to missing out. I guess you may get a reduced capacity but even that seems tricky.

So based on Boris roadmap - IF we said form one minute Scotland follows the same timeline then:-

10,000 fans for Hampden v Czech
    10,000 fans for Wembley v England
    52,000 fans for Hampden v Croatia

And full crowd for potential last 16 at Hampden

I am willing to bet right here right now we will hear NOTHING re football tomorrow from Nicola Sturgeon.

So based on Boris roadmap - IF we said form one minute Scotland follows the same timeline then:-

I am willing to bet right here right now we will hear NOTHING re football tomorrow from Nicola Sturgeon.
    Scottish Parliament election on 6th May will influence her decision.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Scottish Parliament election on 6th May will influence her decision.
    In what way?

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    In what way?
    She will be more inclined to allow fans into Hampden if she thinks it would otherwise cost votes.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    She will be more inclined to allow fans into Hampden if she thinks it would otherwise cost votes.
    🤦🏻 Good grief, you really think ‘she’ will make such a decision based on an election the SNP are predicted to win by a landslide yet again anyway? Also, you do realise there are elections almost every year yeh?

Think Sturgeon needs to recognise the significance of the Scottish National side reaching its first major finals in decades by opening up to unlimited crowds from Mon 14 June

And declaring it a National Holiday !

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Absolute nonsense, love her or hate her she is unlikely to be looking for a few votes by allowing fans into a football game

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Think Sturgeon needs to recognise the significance of the Scottish National side reaching its first major finals in decades by opening up to unlimited crowds from Mon 14 June

And declaring it a National Holiday !
    I've got a feeling a National Holiday the next day might not go amiss either!

For once and I mean once Boris has played a blinder on his roadmap. He has universally got buy-in going by today’s reaction.

Football and travel (home and abroad) along with when we will be out of this are major sweetspots for many. Sturgeon admitted today she left four nation call to do her own daily press conference. Tomorrow is a big day for her and I hope the SFA are ready to go tonto if she takes very different approach.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar

I wonder if it will just be SSC members and English supporters club neighbours for the 10’000 capacity at wembley.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    I wonder if it will just be SSC members and English supporters club neighbours for the 10’000 capacity at wembley.
    Will be more than 10k at Wembley, will be some form of mass testing to allow a full crowd otherwise it would make no sense to go from 10k to 90k in the space of 4 days.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Will be more than 10k at Wembley, will be some form of mass testing to allow a full crowd otherwise it would make no sense to go from 10k to 90k in the space of 4 days.
    Hopefully the SFA will announce the ticket sales in due course.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This makes sense other than it’s the day before the phase 4 Boris ‘no earlier than...” roadmap..

@hibs.net private member
    For once and I mean once Boris has played a blinder on his roadmap. He has universally got buy-in going by today’s reaction.

Football and travel (home and abroad) along with when we will be out of this are major sweetspots for many. Sturgeon admitted today she left four nation call to do her own daily press conference. Tomorrow is a big day for her and I hope the SFA are ready to go tonto if she takes very different approach.
    It's only a blinder if he's right. Apart from the vaccine roll out he's got everything wrong in this pandemic. How many times has he had to u turn after making promises? Back in March 2020 he said we could turn the tide in 12 weeks. And here we are nearly a year later. He was also supposed to save Christmas and look how that turned out.

I have tickets to a couple of games at Hampden and would love to get away this summer but won't be booking anything as he's over promised and under delivered far too many times.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Is there not a chance the venue can still get moved? Was reading UEFA are due to make a decision on the format on 5 March

This makes sense other than it’s the day before the phase 4 Boris ‘no earlier than...” roadmap..
    I reckon UEFA will be in their ear, hence why there will be a stipulation for testing in order for it to happen. Royal Ascot also starts on June 15th and I’d expect they’d like to have more than 10k in for that also.

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh_Lad View Post
    Is there not a chance the venue can still get moved? Was reading UEFA are due to make a decision on the format on 5 March
    The chat is it’s fairly certain it will go ahead with or without fans and no other date options.

They will restrict any away fans to avoid travel and worse case we might see small crowds but 10k would still make some noise..

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    It seems logical now for the entire tournament to be held within the UK.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    The chat is it’s fairly certain it will go ahead with or without fans and no other date options.

They will restrict any away fans to avoid travel and worse case we might see small crowds but 10k would still make some noise..
    Yeah I know it will go ahead but I think uefa are looking at having in one place, like the uk or elsewhere rather that different countries like the original format

Given how the UK has handled the pandemic and the dominant variant here I can’t imagine it being held solely in the UK

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    Given how the UK has handled the pandemic and the dominant variant here I can’t imagine it being held solely in the UK
    Given that we’ll be the only country in Europe with a population immunised and the ability to host a tournament I’d say that the UK is in pole position.

Ignorance beyond comprehension.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar

I think that for our parliament people not dying in large numbers and overwhelming the wards in hospitals is more of a "major sweetspot" than getting us back into football grounds or flying off to Benidorm for 2 weeks, even if the SFA "goes tonto" whatever that means.

I dont expect our announcement will be much different tomorrow.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Sponsors and delegates will be first in line.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Given that we’ll be the only country in Europe with a population immunised and the ability to host a tournament I’d say that the UK is in pole position.
    Immunised by a vaccine that's only 62% effective and likely to fail against new strains of the virus unfortunately. 62% effective and probably only 75% at most of the population willing to be vaccinated means less than half the population being immunised by the end of the rollout.

Sorry but today was nothing more than blind optimism again by Johnson, he'll be rolling back the dates he listed today just like he has had to roll back every other incorrect prediction he has made about the virus in the last year.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Judging by my work colleagues, there will be major disquiet if Sturgeon doesn’t largely mirror the English roadmap out of lockdown. I’ll be gutted if I can’t get to at least one of the three group games Scotland play.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire