hibs.net Messageboard

Leamington Hibs.

A girl on the Chase today plays for Leamington Hibernian Women’s football team
    Anyone know how the name came about ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Been asked before. In 2009 😁

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?...gton-Hibernian

Their website seems to have gone but Twitter is alive.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I follow them on Twitter, bought a badge from them years back. Don’t know what the connection was but there is a family by the surname Barry that have had a lot to do with them so probably Irish connections. Fine kit and their crest has a shamrock and thistle in its shield (as well as an English rose and a Welsh leek!)

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I follow them on Twitter, bought a badge from them years back. Don’t know what the connection was but there is a family by the surname Barry that have had a lot to do with them so probably Irish connections. Fine kit and their crest has a shamrock and thistle in its shield (as well as an English rose and a Welsh leek!)
    The history, according the committee member who wrote the email in the 2009 thread was:

Thanks for the email, not been with the club long enough to know the ins and outs but know a man that undoubtedly does who I can ask. Like Hibernian FC, the 'Hibernian' connection is an Irish one, the founder family originating from Cork with connections to Cork Hibernian FC, 1971 League of Ireland Champions.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_Hibernians_F.C.
    Leamington Hibernian started up around the time Cork Hibernian folded.
    Our Club is currently the biggest in the area, significantly larger in depth than surrounding clubs with grounds and facilities. Generation thing I guess but no kid is gonna play for Leamington FC or racing Club Warwick when their dads and grandads played for Hibs. Anyway will continue to ply our trade amongst the multi scented doggy drops on our council pitches until the council takes notice of who we are.
    Kit colours are more a reflection of what the kit manufacturers have in their current season ranges, main directive being green and white tops, white shorts and gold socks. Historically the teams have played in green shorts/socks and green hoops in the early days. Original badge attached.
    Love the thread, would appreciate a call if Easter Road ever goes on the market :-) . I suppose a charity match against a Hibs vets or supporters XI would be out of the question?
    regards
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The history, according the committee member who wrote the email in the 2009 thread was:

Thanks for the email, not been with the club long enough to know the ins and outs but know a man that undoubtedly does who I can ask. Like Hibernian FC, the 'Hibernian' connection is an Irish one, the founder family originating from Cork with connections to Cork Hibernian FC, 1971 League of Ireland Champions.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_Hibernians_F.C.
    Leamington Hibernian started up around the time Cork Hibernian folded.
    Our Club is currently the biggest in the area, significantly larger in depth than surrounding clubs with grounds and facilities. Generation thing I guess but no kid is gonna play for Leamington FC or racing Club Warwick when their dads and grandads played for Hibs. Anyway will continue to ply our trade amongst the multi scented doggy drops on our council pitches until the council takes notice of who we are.
    Kit colours are more a reflection of what the kit manufacturers have in their current season ranges, main directive being green and white tops, white shorts and gold socks. Historically the teams have played in green shorts/socks and green hoops in the early days. Original badge attached.
    Love the thread, would appreciate a call if Easter Road ever goes on the market :-) . I suppose a charity match against a Hibs vets or supporters XI would be out of the question?
    regards
    Stuart
    Count me in for the hibs.net vs Leamington friendly 😁