hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m surprised at how confident some are over a 5 point lead, especially when they have a game in hand.

As cliche’d as it sounds I’m going to take one game at a time. We expected to beat Ross County last time round and got pumped, can’t afford the same again.
    You are absolutely right that the players should be taking it one game at a time.

We fans however can have the luxury of getting ahead of ourselves. Based purely on statistics we have by far the easiest run in to the split (based on a points gained per game home or away of our remaining opponents) https://www.soccerstats.com/table.as...cotland&tid=10.

We should be confident of averaging 2 points per game at least in our remaining games before the split.

Add to that the fact that we are 2nd in the form table over the last 6 games and Aberdeen are 2nd bottom and we should be pretty confident of being further ahead of them come the split.

Of course anything can happen and we can just as easily lose to anyone in the league as you rightly point out with the recent Ross County game. Knowing Hibs we'll probably manage to mess it up....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I'd say we are very likely to finish top 4 and probably fairly likely to finish 3rd.

Overall we'll have had a pretty decent season. Next year we will aim to get 3rd again and cement our place as Scotland's third best side now that Aberdeen look to be on the slide.
    Might be a lot more difficult to finish 3rd again if we are also playing in Europe. We would probably need to extend the squad but the attraction of playing in Europe should help attract players.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by 147lothian View Post
    however if the the have 3 draws in this time then we would need a 48 goal swing our way to be crowned champions.
    We better not leave it to the last game then, I'm not sure we'll score that many. Saying that if the last game is against sevco then we wouldn't need to - just 24 goals.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    We better not leave it to the last game then, I'm not sure we'll score that many. Saying that if the last game is against sevco then we wouldn't need to - just 24 goals.
    That's over 20 games too.

Rangers lose their 7 by only 1, and draw the other 3. We win all ours 2-0 (apart from the 1-0 to rangers) and we've done it with 2 goals to spare.

Stranger things have... *checks history books* ... records are made to be broken.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Do any of the posters who were saying in September that we have a bottom 6 quality squad still think that?

Aberdeen will get better again. This could go all the way to the end of the season which we all would have been delighted with a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Do any of the posters who were saying in September that we have a bottom 6 quality squad still think that?
    They're too busy buying virtual tickets for Inverness

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Aberdeen will get better again. This could go all the way to the end of the season which we all would have been delighted with a few weeks back.
    I don’t see much in them that makes me think they’ll improve a great deal.

They came out of the window in worse nick than they went in to it. They’ll pick up some wins because they have some decent players, but they looked a poor side at the weekend (and in some other games I’ve seen them).

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I don’t see much in them that makes me think they’ll improve a great deal.

They came out of the window in worse nick than they went in to it. They’ll pick up some wins because they have some decent players, but they looked a poor side at the weekend (and in some other games I’ve seen them).
    Depends which Kamberi turns up I reckon.

But Hearts fans said we would get relegated?

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    But Hearts fans said we would get relegated?

There were a few bedwetters who thought the same about us at the start of the season.

The exciting thing about the run-in is that the potential rewards are tangible and substantial, assuming 3rd gets the Scottish Cup winner's place. Ordinarily European qualification means a tie or 2 in the middle of summer against humdrum opposition - not particularly mouthwatering. However, a Europa League playoff (or the Conference League group stage parachute) guarantees a significant financial windfall, time to adequately prepare through pre-season for once and, if fans are back, the prospect of seeing Hibs in a European group stage at ER for the very first time. Imagine being able to plan for away trips rather than the usual 1 week notice before a trip to the Faroes or such like Not to mention the EL playoff could see a massive club come to town, with the shackles off in the knowledge that we'll have group stage football regardless.

I'm sure Aberdeen fans will be thinking the same, but 3rd could be absolutely huge this season.

A good transfer window has made a difference at the right time for us. We were potentially a mid-table side, potentially bottom 6, maybe not but I didn’t see us favourites for 3/4 spot anyway. It’s not about getting carried away with ourselves, we are in a good position with a much more dynamic midfield, and a good run of games, it’s reasonable to now look at third as something that’s within our hands. Even if it is Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilrig_Sauzee View Post
    A good transfer window has made a difference at the right time for us. We were potentially a mid-table side, potentially bottom 6, maybe not but I didn’t see us favourites for 3/4 spot anyway. It’s not about getting carried away with ourselves, we are in a good position with a much more dynamic midfield, and a good run of games, it’s reasonable to now look at third as something that’s within our hands. Even if it is Hibs.
    We were never a bottom 6 side thats nonsense...other than the blip week after Xmas out league form has been mainly excellent. Yes the window improved us but we were always top 4 imo

Quote Originally Posted by Pilrig_Sauzee View Post
    We’ve been in the top four all season. I don’t think we were ever in danger of dropping from that position. The window has improved us enough to get above that.