hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Scottish Cup - will it be played?

I imagine it's likely it won't go ahead this year now.

Would be a real shame as I do enjoy a Scottish Cup, but totally understand why it might not be possible.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    It is going to be tough to fit is into the rest of the season now, given the lower leagues haven't played in weeks they would need to be given time to get back up to speed and then there are still matches from previous rounds still to play, also involving lower league clubs. The SFA will not want to lose it's showcase event so they will find a way of playing it, but it will probably stretch into next season now. It would work out better for us as it would give 3rd place the Europa/Conference slot until Christmas.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Left by mutual consent!
    In the whole scheme of things, does a football competition really mean that much?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

It will be played because otherwise TV and Sponsorship money would have to be paid back.
    Given there will be no replays, reaching the quarters won't take long.
    Don't know if the tournament will get finished this season although the likes of Celtic don't have much on and Rangers will have the league won before the end of the month.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 08-02-2021 at 03:57 PM.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    League fixtures have been brought forward to fill in Scottish Cup weekends so there should be time later

First Team Breakthrough
    Looking at the fixture dates, I think they might try and blitz the cup in a short number of weeks. They've already created a space by bringing forward SPL33 fixture to 20 Feb. So, as it stands there are no SPL fixtures between 21 March and SPL34 on 17 April. With the last fixture of the international break on 31 March, and games played to a finish in the Scottish could it be played out midweek and weekends in that period with the final staying 8 May. The other option being, bringing the post split fixtures forward to that space with Scottish getting played out late April into the final on 8 May? Just a thought. More chance of lower league involvement in cup still happening too.

I think there was talk of having a 10 day period later in the season, almost like a mini tournament, where they could play 3 rounds of the Scottish cup in that 10 day period.

If they're bringing forward Premiership league games to the currently vacant Scottish Cup weekends, then that might actually work.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the whole scheme of things, does a football competition really mean that much?

Yes.

Competition is worth millions of pounds to the game which in turns effects people’s livelihoods.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    I think there was talk of having a 10 day period later in the season, almost like a mini tournament, where they could play 3 rounds of the Scottish cup in that 10 day period.

If they're bringing forward Premiership league games to the currently vacant Scottish Cup weekends, then that might actually work.
    That would be pretty good actually.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    League fixtures have been brought forward to fill in Scottish Cup weekends so there should be time later
    Absolutely, we have no league games between playing Livvi on 20th March and 1st game post split game on 17th April
    They should easily be able to bring list split forward
    There’s is an international break on the 28th

The cup final is due on 8th May, and can’t be played later, as Hampden will be getting ready for the Euros

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Absolutely, we have no league games between playing Livvi on 20th March and 1st game post split game on 17th April
    They should easily be able to bring list split forward
    There’s is an international break on the 28th

The cup final is due on 8th May, and can’t be played later, as Hampden will be getting ready for the Euros
    Can be moved into next season though like this one was?

I think there’s talk of the lower league teams dropping out as part of the deal to get their league seasons up and running again. I don’t know the ins and outs of that but saw someone on here mentioning it.

The Scottish Cup is currently only 2 rounds behind and even if no cup matches are played in the next month we will only be 3 rounds behind.
    Can easily be caught up given the top league will hit the split in a little over a month with a big window for catching up Scottish Cup rounds before the top league post split games are due to be played.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 08-02-2021 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    The Scottish Cup is currently only 2 rounds behind and even if no cup matches are played in the next month we will only be 3 rounds behind.
    Can easily be caught up given the top league will hit the split in a little over a month with a big window for catching up Scottish Cup rounds before the post split games are due to be played.
    That would only be the case if the cup was made up solely of top flight teams. I think the absolute best they can manage before summer is playing everything apart from the final. There are 4 rounds to play before the semis and still no start date for League 1 and 2 sides. The weekend at the start of May that is currently scheduled for the final is the latest Hampden can be used. There’s a number of championship games that have been postponed recently- for example I’m sure I read that ICT have played once in the league so far this year- so there’s not going to be loads of empty space for championship teams to play all these extra ties.

I’d say the best case scenario which is unlikely imo would be something like this:

2nd round ties yet to be played- first week in March
    3rd round- QF weekend
    4th round- First week in April
    QF- towards the end of April
    SF- Final weekend

I’m not sure they’ll manage to fit 2 rounds in April depending on how many Championship clubs make it to the quarters.

If they try and play some ridiculous 3 rounds in 10 days thing it’ll almost certainly be a disaster

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    That would only be the case if the cup was made up solely of top flight teams. I think the absolute best they can manage before summer is playing everything apart from the final. There are 4 rounds to play before the semis and still no start date for League 1 and 2 sides. The weekend at the start of May that is currently scheduled for the final is the latest Hampden can be used. There’s a number of championship games that have been postponed recently- for example I’m sure I read that ICT have played once in the league so far this year- so there’s not going to be loads of empty space for championship teams to play all these extra ties.

I’d say the best case scenario which is unlikely imo would be something like this:

3rd round- QF weekend
    SF- Final weekend

I’m not sure they’ll manage to fit 2 rounds in April depending on how many Championship clubs make it to the quarters.

If they try and play some ridiculous 3 rounds in 10 days thing it’ll almost certainly be a disaster
    Would be a bit unfair on the lower league teams to play that early, they won’t have played a game for ages

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Would be a bit unfair on the lower league teams to play that early, they won’t have played a game for ages
    At least they’d all be in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post

That actually sounds quite good.
    Might even get a few fans in the later stages.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    At least they’d all be in the same boat.
    If they are playing each other, yes

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Yes.

Competition is worth millions of pounds to the game which in turns effects people’s livelihoods.
    That's the point I was meaning!

Money obviously comes first before deadly pandemics in your mind.

@hibs.net private member

Abso-bleedin-lutely. Thoughts of 2016 for example, still lift my spirits to this day and probably will do for the rest of my life. Times that by 50,000 at least. It matters alright.

Of course it's going to be difficult but I'm glad they're going to try and push ahead with it. I'm sure that will be within the context of the situation and we'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

3rd round- QF weekend
    SF- Final weekend

Re the bold bit in your post. I don't think the SFA will care what the early rounds look like.
    They will concentrate on getting the games played to ensure we meet our contractual obligations and thus get the TV and sponsorship money. Every penny is what counts for the clubs at the moment.
    Based on nowt I think the smaller teams will be up and running again at the end of the month.
    Covid will be under control and the weather will improve.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 08-02-2021 at 09:20 PM.

If they can fit it in to the fixture schedule, why not play it? The situation is improving and they can play the games safely, as they’ve done throughout.

3rd round- QF weekend
    SF- Final weekend

I'm not sure how 3 rounds in ten days would be a disaster. Teams play three games in eight days when there's a midweek match. All that would be needed is to draw the rounds in advance.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Would assume there will be some free midweeks which can be used. Also maybe use international breaks like they did with betfred but think they would be reluctant to do so.

Coaching Staff

This is a football forum.

You’ll find that people are keen to watch football again.

There are also threads discussing the many implications of Covid.

Football seems to be important enough to you that you’ve come onto a football forum to pass comment. In the scheme of things you could be doing something far more impactful with your time eh?

I think the bottom 2 leagues might even go to a reduced league playing each other twice to accommodate.

Will be less games just H&A once but the money split in the Cup will be additional to the league money, no matter how its completed.

(If safe to do so)

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Yes.

Also, it’s the second oldest cup competition and the oldest trophy in the football world.

It’s been suspended before, but its history dates back to 1873. These things matter I think.

I can understand why it might not happen this season but it will be a real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I'm not sure how 3 rounds in ten days would be a disaster. Teams play three games in eight days when there's a midweek match. All that would be needed is to draw the rounds in advance.
    For starters would you trust the SFA to attempt that without making at least one major error somewhere? Secondly all it would take is one postponement and the whole thing would be a mess. Either way I don’t see that being workable with trying to get the other 3 leagues to a reasonable conclusion anyway

I think it should be cancelled although I don’t think it will be. Knowing the powers in our game we’ll be playing 2 games a day to squeeze it in.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    That would be pretty good actually.
    Agreed… unless we get pumped out on day one.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    With the strength of our squad compared to our non-Old Firm competitors, we should be in a better position to cope with a hectic end to the season.