hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye but were Blackpool ever Champions of the World?

I think we beat a wee team from England called Preston North End
    That would go down very well in Blackpool.

Stanley Matthews did play top flight football for Blackpool aged 457 though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post

Gordon Smith was better than him according to Sir Matt Busby and us Scots stick together

I’m with Sir Matt

Gordon Smith retired at 40

I saw him on the pitch at Easter Road in 1970 for the FC Schalke 04 Friendly and he looked fit enough to play

Pretty sure we were the first club to tour South America

We taught the Brazilians how to play football

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Just about the only decent bit of business Matt Gillies did at Forest, Ray, bringing Peter in. Gillies was incredibly unpopular after replacing ex Busby Babe Johnny Carey as manager but to be fair to him, he was having pretty well every decent player Forest had at the time sold from under him. Forest were unique at that time having a committee running the club and they made life more or less impossible for Gilies to be successful.

Peter was succesful and really popular at Forest but he was ultimately too good for a previously very good side a couple of years prior that was in steep decline. Bill Shankly spotted his abilty and as you know, the rest is history.

Great and versatile player of many and varied talents and a great favourite of yours and mine.

What a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_ View Post
    As a nipper, I lived just off the Prom at Porty and I'd regularly run in to the two Peter's [Cormack & marinello] walking along the Prom and as I'd invariably be in my Hibs strip they never failed to have a chat. I remember their last season, the early season wins at Tynie & Parkhead and being at Ibrox with a Rangers supporting school mate that October [69], watching Marinello 2 and the goal machine, Joe McBride putting us top of the league with a 3-1 win. I also remember the lead up to the NY derby, being distraught with the news that Peter Marinello had gone to Arsenal and his big mate, was sent off that day for retaliation after again being chopped down by Peter Oliver in what had become a traditional 0-0 derby NY draw. Less than four months later playing football on the Prom, just four days after Peter Cormack got a brace in a 4-1 win against St Johnstone my pal showed me the back page of the Evening News which was about Matt Gillies [stealing] Peter Cormack for Forest for 80k. I wanted Harrower to go there and then as a few days earlier, after the game, I was heading for my regular post match home game visit to my grans, mimicking PC's high kicking style as I ran along the road.

Less than 18 month later, Harrower was long gone, we dominated the derby & the two Peter's had effectively been replaced by the two Alex's, Edwards and Cropley and we had the added bonuses of Arthur Duncan and Alan Gordon.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    Just about the only decent bit of business Matt Gillies did at Forest, Ray, bringing Peter in. Gillies was incredibly unpopular after replacing ex Busby Babe Johnny Carey as manager but to be fair to him, he was having pretty well every decent player Forest had at the time sold from under him. Forest were unique at that time having a committee running the club and they made life more or less impossible for Gilies to be successful.

Peter was succesful and really popular at Forest but he was ultimately too good for a previously very good side a couple of years prior that was in steep decline. Bill Shankly spotted his abilty and as you know, the rest is history.

Great and versatile player of many and varied talents and a great favourite of yours and mine.

What a player.
    Yeah, I remember the Ian Storey-Moore fiasco in the spring of 1972 with him being introduced at Derby and then signing for Man U & then Henry Newton, those were likely to be the better players PC joined at Forest in 1970, Hibs on the other hand had far better players then.

Gordon Smith was better than him according to Sir Matt Busby and us Scots stick together

I’m with Sir Matt

I saw him on the pitch at Easter Road in 1970 for the FC Schalke 04 Friendly and he looked fit enough to play

I remember that as well and Nigbur's [Sepp Maier's German number 2] performance in preventing us from scoring during the 0-0 game , up there with McCloy's Scottish cup display in 1973.

As a 13/14 YO in 1970 the FF team seemed like a lifetime ago and they last played together in 1955, so only 15 years and this game doesn't seem anywhere near 51 years ago!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_ View Post
    I remember that as well and Nigbur's [Sepp Maier's German number 2] performance in preventing us from scoring during the 0-0 game , up there with McCloy's Scottish cup display in 1973.

As a 13/14 YO in 1970 the FF team seemed like a lifetime ago and they last played together in 1955, so only 15 years and this game doesn't seem anywhere near 51 years ago!
    Scottish engineers brought the game to Brazil via the port of Santos but so did the Portuguese colonists and the ties with the old Colonial ruler. South America had a pretty good world cup record prior to Hibs tour of Brasil. The Famous Five were admired in Brazil for their total football attacking front 5. This definitely made the Brasil more fluid and attacking. Speaking as my father's family are Brasilian and arrived in the late 18th century from Portugal living Minas Gerais and Sao Paulo state. My father came here in early 1950s and used to go to see the famous 5.

I am afraid there were lots of tours by UK clubs in the early 20th century to promote the game there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_football_clubs_tours_to_South_America#:~:t ext=Southampton%20F.C.%20was%20the%20first,Notting ham%20Forest%20F.C.%20in%201905.
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 14-02-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Scottish engineers brought the game to Brazil via the port of Santos but so did the Portuguese colonists and the ties with the old Colonial ruler. South America had a pretty good world cup record prior to Hibs tour of Brasil. The Famous Five were admired in Brazil for their total football attacking front 5. This definitely made the Brasil more fluid and attacking. Speaking as my father's family are Brasilian and arrived in the late 18th century from Portugal living Minas Gerais and Sao Paulo state. My father came here in early 1950s and used to go to see the famous 5.

I am afraid there were lots of tours by UK clubs in the early 20th century to promote the game there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brit...C.%20in%201905.
    I remember watching a BT Sports Documentary ‘Brothers In Football’ where a team that had visited South America early last century from England now non-League visited one of the teams they had played who were now Premiership standard and played in a huge Stadium but they made sure the wee fat English striker scored so he could celebrate

Testimonial Due
    I remember watching a BT Sports Documentary ‘Brothers In Football’ where a team that had visited South America early last century from England now non-League visited one of the teams they had played who were now Premiership standard and played in a huge Stadium but they made sure the wee fat English striker scored so he could celebrate
    Corinthians and Exeter toured. The Sao Paulo Corinthians took their name from the former. Third Lanark were first Scottish team to tour.

Corinthians and Exeter toured. The Sao Paulo Corinthians took their name from the former. Third Lanark were first Scottish team to tour.

Pretty sure it was Corinthians as they had images wearing their England caps from back in the day

The South American team came over here and they had a neat wee Stadium stuck up a back street

Worth a watch if you can find a stream

https://youtu.be/-ypJejySM4g

Corinthian Casuals

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Your comment on the colour maroon reminded me of a piece of writing by the Scottish poet, Alan Bold. Alan was a great Hibs man & IIRC his piece eulogised the colour green. He talked about freshness, the colour of the grass and spring etc. He then described maroon as (i paraphrase)"last night's cheap red wine spilled in an overflowing ashtray".
    Perfect really!!
    Thanks so much for this. I will be using that many times from now on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Thanks so much for this. I will be using that many times from now on.
    I'll see if I can find the original. Alan Bold was a real character, was described as the modern day Burns & did his best to live up to Rabbie's carousing ways. I used to meet him in The Windsor Buffet, he was great entertainment!

I’m with Sir Matt

Cannot remember who said this

" If Gordon Smith had been English ,we would be talking about him,as we do Matthews and Finney"

I paraphrased that quote from memory.
    I did read it years ago.
    I wish i could remember who said it.
    But it always stuck with me.
    It may have been Sir Matt,even if he did say "we"
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 14-02-2021 at 06:21 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post

457 some age to be still playing. He did go on to play for Hibernian of Malta.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    457 some age to be still playing. He did go on to play for Hibernian of Malta.
    Aye played well into his hundreds Stanley.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Cannot remember who said this

" If Gordon Smith had been English ,we would talking about him,as we do Matthews and Finney"

I paraphrased that quote from memory.
    I did read it years ago.
    I wish i could remember who said it.
    But it always stuck with me.
    It may have been Sir Matt,even if he did say "we"
    Not being funny but a few years back if you asked any older gentleman who the best player they ever saw was and regardless of allegiance it was always “ Gordon Smith son! “

Testimonial Due
    Was there another hibs player that went to Arsenal at the same time as Peter? Have had a chat a couple of times with a chap in our local that said he'd went down at the same time. Could never work out who he was.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    Was there another hibs player that went to Arsenal at the same time as Peter? Have had a chat a couple of times with a chap in our local that said he'd went down at the same time. Could never work out who he was.
    Alex Cropley but that was about 4 or 5 years later.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Alex Cropley but that was about 4 or 5 years later.
    And Joe Baker and Johnny Macleod left Arsenal 4 or 5 years before Peter arrived.

I am sure it was Tom Finney who was asked how he felt being voted the best winger in the world, his reply was something along the lines that that chap Smith at Hibs would have something to say about that.

Peter Marinello was at a family wedding a few years ago, sat and had a chat with him, lovely guy and happy to chat about his time at Hibs & football in general.

Robert, Sharon & Peter Marinello (2).jpg

Found this interesting profile on the HIBS website:

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.u...eter-marinello

Found this interesting profile on the HIBS website:

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.u...eter-marinello
    The article mentions his Easter Road debut v Dundee Utd and that Peter tormented his marker.

The marker,Jimmy Briggs, was the same guy that shattered 17 yr old Jimmy O'Rourke's leg a few years earlier and set Jimmy back years.
    Jimmy Briggs likely could not catch Peter, or he would have nailed him.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 14-02-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Not being funny but a few years back if you asked any older gentleman who the best player they ever saw was and regardless of allegiance it was always “ Gordon Smith son! “
    Yes ,an old pal of mine, sadly passed a couple of years ago at 84, would always say Smith

When Gordon was working his magic at ER ,Celtic fans would rave about Charlie Tully and the Govan mob would champion Willie Waddell ......

"But the cocky wee Gordon's the pride o' them a' "

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    I am sure it was Tom Finney who was asked how he felt being voted the best winger in the world, his reply was something along the lines that that chap Smith at Hibs would have something to say about that.
    Brilliant stuff
    At least players of that era knew class among peers ,even if English pundits and journalists did not(know much about Gordon)

Tommy Docherty once said in an interview that Matthews was better than Smith.
    But having spent most of his playing career in England,Doc would have maybe have seen Matthews a lot more than Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Yes ,an old pal of mine, sadly passed a couple of years ago at 84, would always say Smith

When Gordon was working his magic at ER ,Celtic fans would rave about Charlie Tully and the Govan mob would champion Willie Waddell ......

"But the cocky wee Gordon's the pride o' them a' "
    A Gordon for me tae!

His biography ‘Prince Of Wingers’ by his son Tony is an excellent read

Brings a tear to a glass eye

As I said above the FF when they were on the pitch at the Schalke game Smith looked as fit as a fiddle

I always thought Finney was better than Matthews who was a one position man.Finney could play anywhere along the front. When Preston played Edinburgh Select at ER he was centre forward and a class above anyone else on the park.Two memories of Matthews- England were playing Brazil in a friendly and were tanking them I stood in PTs electrical department watching the match on the way home from school-a common thing to do those days-Stanley went skating past the left back for the umpteenth time who chased after and pulled off a textbook tackle unfortunately for a rugby player. The ref just gave him a sympathetic pat on the head. Stanley came with Stoke to play Hearts in a friendly.Think he was over 50. Davie Holt was left back-hard as nails of course-told me afterwards he was terrified to tackle him in case he went down in history as the man who killed Stanley Matthews.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I always thought Finney was better than Matthews who was a one position man.Finney could play anywhere along the front. When Preston played Edinburgh Select at ER he was centre forward and a class above anyone else on the park.Two memories of Matthews- England were playing Brazil in a friendly and were tanking them I stood in PTs electrical department watching the match on the way home from school-a common thing to do those days-Stanley went skating past the left back for the umpteenth time who chased after and pulled off a textbook tackle unfortunately for a rugby player. The ref just gave him a sympathetic pat on the head. Stanley came with Stoke to play Hearts in a friendly.Think he was over 50. Davie Holt was left back-hard as nails of course-told me afterwards he was terrified to tackle him in case he went down in history as the man who killed Stanley Matthews.
    Wonderful memories there AH
    PTs !! Patrick Thomsons for the younger viewers, more recently Argos on the North Bridge

AH
    I, as a schoolboy, delivered Davie Holts milk when he played for hertz and lived in Clerwood
    I worked with the "dummy"
    I would collect the milk money on a saturday morning.
    Most times,Davie would answer the door, pay his bill and give me a good tip .
    I would usually have my Hibs scarf on, as i would be off to the game when milk run collection finished
    He always said good luck.. Nice man and a very good footballer.

I also delivered Tommy Walkers milk on another run in Barnton !!!
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 14-02-2021 at 07:34 PM.

Great memories guys

Makes hibs.net worthwhile

Well done

Great memories guys

Makes hibs.net worthwhile

Well done

Billy
    I am sure i wont be alone in saying ,that particularly for us older gadjies who have been on lockdown and shielding for near a year,your threads on History and quizzes,etc have been something to look forward to on the forum.

Its been great viewing the utube links of games, either i have completely forgotten, or was there and still forgot due to drink !

Keep up the good work and cheers
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 14-02-2021 at 08:10 PM.