hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Stevie Mallan - Great Start

As the previous discussion sadly had to be locked...

Well done Stevie Mallan on your great start in Turkey. That was a fantastic goal.

Hopefully he gets some proper game time and (if he comes back to us) he's refreshed and ready to go.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 06-02-2021 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added 'if' part

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Well done Stevie Mallan on your great start in Turkey. That was a fantastic goal.

Hopefully he gets some proper game time and comes back to us refreshed and ready to go.
    Are we expecting him back? With the option to buy being part of the deal I think we’ve seen the last of Stevie Mallan, whether he stays in Turkey or moves elsewhere. A useful squad member and would rather he was still with us.

@hibs.net private member
    Did he play behind the strikers. It looks like it from the goal which showed the type of player he was for St Mirren. Opportunistic, great strike, drive and a bit of pace. Such a pity he never really got that many games in a position that suits him

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Did he play behind the strikers. It looks like it from the goal which showed the type of player he was for St Mirren. Opportunistic, great strike, drive and a bit of pace. Such a pity he never really got that many games in a position that suits him
    He did, people just don't remember because he didn't do much with those chances.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

Hopefully he gets some proper game time and comes back to us refreshed and ready to go.
    Why was the original thread locked?

@hibs.net private member
    Couldn't have asked for a better start for Stevie in Turkey. Hope the move proves to be just what he was needing. Would like to think he'll come back to us a better player at the end of it all. He has too much talent to let slip through our fingers.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Why was the original thread locked?
    It's down the page a bit. Why don't you read it ?
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Do we have any idea of the option to buy price?

Good player

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He did, people just don't remember because he didn't do much with those chances.
    He had some but not played there consistently. Playing as the deep midfielder taking the ball from the defence and doing the dirty work in midfield is where he played most in my recollection and it didn't suit him.

As ever though, this site will bow to your superior knowledge 🙂

He got a few games in what you’d expect to be his best position and he didn’t set the heather on fire there either.

Mallan frustrated because he clearly had something to offer but just didn’t manage to show it often enough.

I reckon Scottish football was maybe too physical for him - lots of quick, strong players shutting you down. If he played for a team in a league where you got a bit more time on the ball, or in a team where the opposition had to worry about multiple threats then he might show what he’s capable of.

I think it might be a mistake to think that if he shows up well elsewhere that we’d have necessarily ever seen that from him in a Hibs shirt.

I did like the guy and genuinely hopes he can be a success as on his day he’s a great player to watch.
    Last edited by Smartie; 06-02-2021 at 11:48 AM.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Do we have any idea of the option to buy price?
    250 k
    Is my guess 😉
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Are we expecting him back? With the option to buy being part of the deal I think we’ve seen the last of Stevie Mallan, whether he stays in Turkey or moves elsewhere. A useful squad member and would rather he was still with us.

You're right, sorry, I should have said 'if he comes back'.

Now edited

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Hopefully installs a bit of confidence in him, there is a decent player there imo and he showed that when he first came to us

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    I asked on the other thread before it was closed - was it ever confirmed or rumoured how the loan move came about?

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy75 View Post
    I asked on the other thread before it was closed - was it ever confirmed or rumoured how the loan move came about?
    Maybe his agent was putting the feelers out

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    He had some but not played there consistently. Playing as the deep midfielder taking the ball from the defence and doing the dirty work in midfield is where he played most in my recollection and it didn't suit him.

Next game is Monday at 4pm. Home to Trabzonspor. Dunno if that's GMT or local time.

Some revisionist history going on already with Mallan, we can and should be doing better than Mallan in our squad and I assume he's a relatively high earner too.

Not suited to the Scottish top flight I reckon, but let's not make out as if his general poor form for us was the fault of Lennon, Hecky and then Jack Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post

He never earned the right to play there consistently, though. Allan did. Mallan got put in wherever we needed someone and never really impressed.

He is okay, and scored some goals but the majority were vs poor opposition and early on in his time here.

Really no idea what the snide last part of your post is about? What is the need for that?

Mallan is done at Hibs. If his best position is as an advanced midfielder he's behind Murphy by a distance and if Allan gets back to anywhere near his best then behind him as well. He's quite evidently not getting into the team as a deeper midfielder ahead of Gogic, Irvine, Newell or Hallberg.

Sad it didn't work out for him long term here. Hope he does well on his loan but he's not the answer to a problem that doesn't really exist. Best for both parties if he moves on in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    next game is monday at 4pm. Home to trabzonspor. Dunno if that's gmt or local time.
    gmt

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    It's down the page a bit. Why don't you read it ?
    Was going slightly off topic but nothing drastic - seemed a bit knee-jerk to close it down (NB - loved the comment "Erdogan couldn't lace Attaturk's boots" - made me laugh anyway).

Ach well - good luck Stevie Mallan - great to see you find your scoring boots again. I think it's fair to say he goes there with the best wishes of the vast majority of Hibees.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    On the bench after one game and a goal today.

Came on after 82mins, but they lost 0-2.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Mallan is done at Hibs. If his best position is as an advanced midfielder he's behind Murphy by a distance and if Allan gets back to anywhere near his best then behind him as well. He's quite evidently not getting into the team as a deeper midfielder ahead of Gogic, Irvine, Newell or Hallberg.

Sad it didn't work out for him long term here. Hope he does well on his loan but he's not the answer to a problem that doesn't really exist. Best for both parties if he moves on in the summer.
    If we manage to keep a hold of Jackson Irvine then Hallberg is toast too, and I say that as someone who likes him and thinks he's had a very good season.

Competition right now, particularly in midfield, is red hot. If we can add a striker in the summer and another CB/RB then there's not a position on the field that is without competition. Our dip in form coincided with injuries that meant certain players were a guaranteed start, and also worn out at the same time.

I don't think it's coincidental that the return of competition to be, quite frankly, even on the bench, has resulted in a big upturn in form and playing style.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    If we manage to keep a hold of Jackson Irvine then Hallberg is toast too, and I say that as someone who likes him and thinks he's had a very good season.

Competition right now, particularly in midfield, is red hot. If we can add a striker in the summer and another CB/RB then there's not a position on the field that is without competition. Our dip in form coincided with injuries that meant certain players were a guaranteed start, and also worn out at the same time.

I don't think it's coincidental that the return of competition to be, quite frankly, even on the bench, has resulted in a big upturn in form and playing style.
    Reference adding players I think we have to bear in mind we are likely to lose Nisbet or Porto or perhaps both in the summer. I agree though it is looking better in midfield, more quality and a far better balance. However having said that any player in any position that improves our current side is a welcome addition.

Coaching Staff

Don’t see why Hallberg would be gone. Still very reliable cover and hopefully we will be playing lots of games next season.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Competition is good so we should get rid of some players so we don’t have competition anymore??

Only takes a couple of injuries to start looking light again.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Good to see that Jack Ross is keeping in touch with him.

Despite heading out on loan, Ross is keeping a close eye on Mallan’s progress.

“When I made the move he got in touch right away to make sure I’d settled in," the midfielder revealed. “Straight after the match on Thursday he sent a text to say congrats on the goal.

“Even though I’m on loan, he still makes me feel part of the squad. The fact he didn’t want me to go made me feel better.
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...r-loan-3128334