hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jason Cummings

Its amazing that basically every single player who was good for us in the championship effortlessly stepped up to the premiership but our top scorer wouldn't have? Hmmm.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Hindsight is wonderful and he's had a strong start for Dundee - however he's started well elsewhere and fallen away.

Take his start at Dundee away and he's a player who was (and maybe still is) in no way worth taking a gamble on signing as he's been so poor for so long.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its amazing that basically every single player who was good for us in the championship effortlessly stepped up to the premiership but our top scorer wouldn't have? Hmmm.
    That’s a good point.

I think his record since would cast doubts, along with his attitude where there are also question marks. I wouldn’t say he wouldn’t step up and do well, however I wouldn’t be pinning all my hopes on him, nor would I be breaking the bank for him.

See all of those early crosses that Cadden whips in behind the defence and infront of the keeper that are never met by anyone.

Cummings would be there.

He always seemed to find a way of getting on those style of crosses and reading them perfectly.

Just because he’s not had much of a spell in the top flight doesn’t mean he’s not good enough, because he Absolutley is

We should have brought him back. I think he would add some much needed spice to the broth. We’re a bit bland a lacklustre at the moment.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Hibs missed a trick by not offering him a deal. He would have offered options to Doidge and Nisbet and he probably wouldn’t have cost much in wages.

Good luck to the laddie, I hope he finds form and proves his doubters wrong

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Would love us to sign him but I think he’ll be at Hearts sooner rather than later unfortunately
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Big fan of Jason Cummings and would have loved it if he'd returned in Jan.

Definitely would have been a great option when our strikers went off the boil and I have faith he'd have found the net on the top flight.

If he's only on a short term deal with Dundee it would be good to see him return next season.

I’d take Cummings back instantly. Always in the box and capable of being in the right place at the right time. Oh yeah he’s a rocket but we don’t have many characters in the current dressing room imo.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Would love us to sign him but I think he’ll be at Hearts sooner rather than later unfortunately
    I've a feeling this will happen too

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    I’m not sure he will. There seems to have been a good few opportunities for it to happen now and it never does. I’d like to think if he does well at Dundee and is set for a move to a bigger club that we’d be in for him and I think he’d choose us.

@hibs.net private member
    I would have tried to get him in January. He was ideal to fill the gaping hole in the squad for central attackers. If we could have got him on a six month deal with an option it was no gamble and the possibility of him re-energising his career. We have no issue creating chances in the box it is taking them that is a problem. Jason would be ideal in that role

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Derek Riordan failed pretty much everywere else he went, but had 2 good spells for us scoring many goals in both and most would agree he was one of our best strikers of the modern era. Not saying Cummings is as good a footballer as Riordan was but goals don't tell the full story.

Cummings goal to game ratio since he left is skewed by the fact most of his appearances have been off the bench and that he was being played on the wing at times. Anyone who's watched him play knows that's not his position, he's a number 9 every day of the week.

I'd take him back now the way our strikers are playing, would have taken him for backup in January also, made complete sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    Derek Riordan failed pretty much everywere else he went, but had 2 good spells for us scoring many goals in both and most would agree he was one of our best strikers of the modern era. Not saying Cummings is as good a footballer as Riordan was but goals don't tell the full story.

Cummings goal to game ratio since he left is skewed by the fact most of his appearances have been off the bench and that he was being played on the wing at times. Anyone who's watched him play knows that's not his position, he's a number 9 every day of the week.

I'd take him back now the way our strikers are playing, would have taken him for backup in January also, made complete sense to me.
    What if the options were Jackson Irvine, Chris Cadden or Jason Cummings?......2 out of 3. Maybe thats all that was in the budget?

Wanted him back in January. Want him back now. Will happily wait till the summer to get him back.

We have 2 strikers plus Boyle who gets thrown where needed. Cummings would have been a fantastic option for us and gave us a strong depth.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd take Jason at Hibs 100%. We are desperate for another option up front and we know he'll scored goals for us.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I'd take Jason at Hibs 100%. We are desperate for another option up front and we know he'll scored goals for us.
    Still don’t understand why we never signed another striker tbh.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

I think with Allan, Irvine, Newell, a better version of Boyle than he’s previously played with, Murphy, Cadden, then Cummings would definitely score plenty goals for us

also, he’d love playing alongside Doidge and/or Nisbet as well, he’d be a great foil for either of them

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Because we don't have infinite amounts of money?

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I'll admit I thought it was going to be ok, with Nisbet staying, Doidge unlikely to continue his barren spell and Boyle there if needed but in retrospect we definitely needed another striker in.

Agreed but we do have midfielders coming out our ears.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’m not sure he will. There seems to have been a good few opportunities for it to happen now and it never does. I’d like to think if he does well at Dundee and is set for a move to a bigger club that we’d be in for him and I think he’d choose us.
    I'm not sure he would. He was/is a Hearts fan and I believe his family are all jambos too.

I also think he enjoys abit of the limelight and he'd probably revel in the slight notoriety of a Scottish cup winner at Hibs playing for Hearts.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    or why we let one leave when we didn’t have backup.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRobot View Post
    or why we let one leave when we didn’t have backup.
    Are we all ignoring how well Boyle has done as a striker then?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    His record after Hibs doesn't support that view.

14 games for Forest 1 goal
    15 for The Rangers 2 goals
    35 for Shrewsbury and 4 goals

64 games with only 7 goals. 1 in 9.

His time at Peterborough was a bit better with 6 goals in 22 appearances, but that's English league 1.

I accept that I don't know how many of those appearances were as a sub.

However, I don't think he's got enough to be a success at the top end of the Premiership and I doubt we'll ever find out.
    He also scored a couple in one game for Forest in a cup match but realistically, he never looked like he was going to make a first team slot his own. I saw him a couple of time for Forest and sadly, he looked a little out of his depth. Scampering around trying to get into the game, the game was going off all around him and past him. He just looked like he didn't have the speed of thinking or movement to keep up at that level, nor the physicality. Gives me no pleasure to say. It might have helped if he'd stayed and learnt his trade for another year at Hibs but I suspect it still wouldn't have been enough to make him an EPL player.

Because we only play with one?

@hibs.net private member
    I reckon Jase would jump at the chance to come back here if offered.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    He also scored a couple in one game for Forest in a cup match but realistically, he never looked like he was going to make a first team slot his own. I saw him a couple of time for Forest and sadly, he looked a little out of his depth. Scampering around trying to get into the game, the game was going off all around him and past him. He just looked like he didn't have the speed of thinking or movement to keep up at that level, nor the physicality. Gives me no pleasure to say. It might have helped if he'd stayed and learnt his trade for another year at Hibs but I suspect it still wouldn't have been enough to make him an EPL player.
    His level looks to be Div 1 England/Championship Scotland.

If it was up to some fans we'd have Jason Cummings and Oli Shaw up front with Marvin Bartley playing the holding role. Alloa away next season would be likely.