hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Irvine Welsh

"Irvine was a bad boy and said naughty words and somebody might complain and it might be in the newspapers and Hibs will have to apologize and Irvine willnae be allowed back."

What an utter sappy support base we have happily living life on their bended knee.

Pass the fk* sickbag.🤢😔

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by bringbackbenny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A hun is a hun, current bun, sticky bun regardless of age, sex, religious beliefs, humanist or not etc. Maurice Johnson is a hun as is Richard Gough and is Moreos. And so on.
    Yep.

Mo Johnstone is a hun
    Neil McCann is a hun
    Lorenzo Amoruso is a hun

They also have something else in common.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    The ones that can read are going to boycott his books, oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    The ones that can read are going to boycott his books, oh wait.
    They almost definitely can't read

The idea that Huns are moral arbiters upon sectarianism.

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Yep.

Mo Johnstone is a hun
    Neil McCann is a hun
    Lorenzo Amoruso is a hun

Hun is definitely a sectarian, derogatory term for a prod in a Northern Ireland context. And because it is now labelled as a sectarian term the 'its not sectarian' argument is likely to fall flat. Im sure Irvine will take some flak for it but he will go back to his millionaire lifestyle and not give two ****s what the hordes say or think, im sure.

First Team Breakthrough
    Still hurting since 21 May 2016 I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    You said "Hibs will have no option but to not invite him on again."

I said that was nonsense. Hibs will always have the option to invite who they want.
    If a complaint's made and Hibs need to apologise for a guest on their live match programme using a phrase that's a reference to a term that's now rightly or wrongly considered to be sectarian then there really is no other option for Hibs to take other than to never invite him on again.

I think that would be a shame, I think the word hun is not sectarian but that's the way the world is these days. If someone takes offence or perceives that an offensive remark has been said then that's all it takes. As a high profile organisation, Hibs' hands would be tied.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    If a complaint's made and Hibs need to apologise for a guest on their live match programme using a phrase that's a reference to a term that's now rightly or wrongly considered to be sectarian then there really is no other option for Hibs to take other than to never invite him on again.

I think that would be a shame, I think the word hun is not sectarian but that's the way the world is these days. If someone takes offence or perceives that an offensive remark has been said then that's all it takes. As a high profile organisation, Hibs' hands would be tied.
    Does it matter when it's a PPV thing? Does that receive the same scrutiny that other modes of broadcasting do?

Irvine is not daft.

This is fantastic publicity for his new book coming out soon

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Why?

Imagine Hibs draw Raith Rovers (for example) at ER in the Scottish Cup, who's going to give a toss if Irvine Welsh is on Hibs TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Yep.

Mo Johnstone is a hun
    Neil McCann is a hun
    Lorenzo Amoruso is a hun

Ivan Sproule - not a hun.

I loosely identify with the protestant religion and my grandfathers were both Rangers fans yet I am not a hun.

Alfredo Morelos - the hunniest little hun rat in the whole of hunville.

@hibs.net private member
    How did they see it? It wasn’t available on PPV?

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    That’s the SUN picked up on it now. If I was hibs I tell them to ram their apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Does it matter when it's a PPV thing? Does that receive the same scrutiny that other modes of broadcasting do?
    I believe so, yes.

I don't think anything came of it in the end but the compliance officer apparently reviewed footage a couple of years ago of Tom Boyd going on a rant about John Beaton on Celtic TV and saying "he'll be welcome in his pub tonight".

I'm not sure if it would fall under the jurisdiction of Ofcom.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    How did they see it? It wasn’t available on PPV?
    Presumably there were dodgy streams of it out there. I would have assumed this only happened when a game wasn't on Sky etc, but I guess from the streamer's point of view there's less chance of getting shut down rebroadcasting a club channel vs rebroadcasting Sky.

Or perhaps their post-2016 obsession is so great that they have Hibs STs…

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    That’s the SUN picked up on it now. If I was hibs I tell them to ram their apology.
    “The author is well-known for his unusual use of language, but angry Gers fans complained on social media - with some sending complaints direct to the communications watchdog.

Rangers, Hibs and Irvine Welsh have been contacted for comment.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Ah, The Sun - those bastions of moral righteousness, can't wait to see their hot take.

Rangers fans wailing to Ofcom apparently, as they so often love to do. Really can't stand those tossers. Worst club in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Why?

Imagine Hibs draw Raith Rovers (for example) at ER in the Scottish Cup, who's going to give a toss if Irvine Welsh is on Hibs TV?
    I don't understand the relevance to that.

If he's considered to have made a sectarian remark, what difference does it make as to who we are playing in terms of considering his suitability as a guest?

Just tell them Welsh is an East of Scotland football fan and nothing to do with us. Maybe with an allegiance to an English team that play in green. Plymouth will do.

It's the usual tactic when discussing Rangers fans behaviour.

First Team Regular
    Irvine's comments were in response to Morelos assaulting Porteous and biased or incompetent refereeing. If any apologies are due, they should come from Morelos and the referee. No doubt the MSM sycophants will focus on Irvine. Remember how sportsound for days on end vilified Gary O'Conner for gaining Hibs a dubious penalty. Had that been a Bigot Twin player not a peep would have been heard.

I don't understand the relevance to that.

If he's considered to have made a sectarian remark, what difference does it make as to who we are playing in terms of considering his suitability as a guest?
    You're making out that Hibs TV can't possibly invite Irvine Welsh back on to the programme. I'm giving an example where they could and nobody would care .

It might be wise not to have him back for a Rangers match, and he might upset the sparryheids, sheep ****gers or soap dodgers in matches against them, but the majority of Scottish fans would probably watch with amused interest.

So tell me again why shouldn't Hibs reinvite him?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    If we can let someone who's been an international drug trafficker manage one of our top flight football clubs, we can let someone who's said a few controversial words back into the tv studio to give his views again.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    If we can let someone who's been an international drug trafficker manage one of our top flight football clubs, we can let someone who's said a few controversial words back into the tv studio to give his views again.
    Correct

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Presumably there were dodgy streams of it out there. I would have assumed this only happened when a game wasn't on Sky etc, but I guess from the streamer's point of view there's less chance of getting shut down rebroadcasting a club channel vs rebroadcasting Sky.

Or perhaps their post-2016 obsession is so great that they have Hibs STs…
    Dear Police,

While I was watching an illegal stream I happened across a bad man saying “sticky bun” and saying he likes watching football without hearing sectarian songs! I find this totally unacceptable, in fact it’s a “hate” crime.

I have copied in the illegal stream provider so they can take this up with Hibernian FC who I’m sure you agree are dirty fenians.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Know what will happen? In a few days it'll all blow over and everyone will have moved onto the next social media OUTRAGE. In a few months someone might go "Mind that time Irvine Welsh said that thing about Morelos?" "Oh aye. Heh."

But he never used the word “Hun” he said “Sticky Bun” can The Rangers fans prove he meant it in a rhyming slang way? Maybe it meant something else.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned him making the YLT sign with his fingers. I nearly fainted!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    But he never used the word “Hun” he said “Sticky Bun” can The Rangers fans prove he meant it in a rhyming slang way? Maybe it meant something else.
    Rangers fans will be more annoyed that there isn’t a catchy rhyming slang for the term fenian. Not that they really require one given their liberal use of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Dear Police,

While I was watching an illegal stream I happened across a bad man saying “sticky bun” and saying he likes watching football without hearing sectarian songs! I find this totally unacceptable, in fact it’s a “hate” crime.

I have copied in the illegal stream provider so they can take this up with Hibernian FC who I’m sure you agree are dirty fenians.
    The police are probably wading through crayon etched versions of this as we type. 🤣