hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    44,769

    "Reality killed by a reality star"

    That's one of the lyrics from Tom Jones's new single, "Talking reality television blues".

    Superficially, it would be easy to dismiss this as another aged performer who has lost his voice, trying to make some money by talking the lyrics instead of even attempting to hold a tune, a la William Shatner*, but this had enough about it to hold my attention till the end and, after only one listen, it's prompted me to post this so it must have something.

    I've not checked on who wrote the words and music, but the backing track is irresistible in parts. The lyrics are fine, hard hitting at the end hence the thread title, and although I probably think they'd be better served by an actual rapper, the fact that it's Jones saying them lends it a certain je ne sais quoi. Intrigue maybe?

    The music really makes it for me, but it's peaked my interest enough that I've decided that I'll definitely be giving his new album a listen when it's released in April.

    *Although most of the stuff I've heard from Shatner is almost comical, he makes a very good job of talking through Pulp's Common People, imo.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 24-01-2021 at 10:53 AM.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    11,139
    Must admit itís something else . Superb stuff.

    And as you say Tom Jones or not heís got a damn good point.

  4. #3
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    43
    Posts
    14,452
    I've just listened to it.

    And to my absolute astonishment loved it.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    14,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's one of the lyrics from Tom Jones's new single, "Talking reality television blues".

    Superficially, it would be easy to dismiss this as another aged performer who has lost his voice, trying to make some money by talking the lyrics instead of even attempting to hold a tune, a la William Shatner*, but this had enough about it to hold my attention till the end and, after only one listen, it's prompted me to post this so it must have something.

    I've not checked on who wrote the words and music, but the backing track is irresistible in parts. The lyrics are fine, hard hitting at the end hence the thread title, and although I probably think they'd be better served by an actual rapper, the fact that it's Jones saying them lends it a certain je ne sais quoi. Intrigue maybe?

    The music really makes it for me, but it's peaked my interest enough that I've decided that I'll definitely be giving his new album a listen when it's released in April.

    *Although most of the stuff I've heard from Shatner is almost comical, he makes a very good job of talking through Pulp's Common People, imo.
    Iíve not heard it but I never thought Iíd hear someone say that a Tom Jones song would have been better suited to a rapper

  6. #5
    The original was by Todd Snider. He had a song Talkin' Seattle Grunge Rock Blues back in the 90s that is worth a listen.

    The Tom Jones cover is OK. Quite amusing he has chosen to cover a song bemoaning the perils of reality TV when he has quite prominently sat as a panelist on a reality TV talent show for most of the last decade though.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíve not heard it but I never thought Iíd hear someone say that a Tom Jones song would have been better suited to a rapper
    Well, itís not unusual 🤔

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    44,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, itís not unusual 🤔
    Reported...
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  9. #8
    it's good.

    it's written by Todd Daniel Snyder.

    Jones hasn't lost his voice at all, he's still incredible certainly for his age.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    17,489
    Tom Jones hasnt lost his voice. Its still incredible.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    44,769
    No, he hasn't lost his voice. I didn't explain myself properly, apologies.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    25,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, he hasn't lost his voice. I didn't explain myself properly, apologies.
    Why? Why? Why?

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    44,769
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? Why? Why?
    You better watch out before I come to break down your door
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    25,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You better watch out before I come to break down your door
    Act your age etc etc

  15. #14
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der HŲlle
    Posts
    30,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You better watch out before I come to break down your door

    Forgive me....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)