hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Metal Detectors

Metal Detectors

I suppose everyone thinks of buying one when they hear of some random find in the media but has anyone taken the next step and actually bought one?

Does anyone here metal detect as a hobby?

Its one of these things I fancy doing in retirement but apart from the obvious, buying a metal detector, where should I start?

2. Log in to remove the advert

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    In a field I'm guessing?
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In a field I'm guessing?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Here you go, Jack.

It's actually something I've considered, but I think I'd probably enjoy it for a little while then get bored quickly.

Same goes for flying a drone. The idea is appealing but the novelty would wear off too quickly for me.

Loads of folk love metal detecting so good luck with it.

https://www.thedetectorist.co.uk/metal-detecting/
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Well I took my time getting round to this 😆 a belated thank you Hibbyradge.

Now fully retired and Mrs Jackie nippin ma heid to dae somethin over the last few weeks I've been looking at this seriously 😳

Yesterday I went along to the Scottish Detector Club. £18 insurance and membership I was in!

Not surprisingly they are a very knowledgeable, enthusiastic group.

After some research I had set my mind on a Vanquish 340. The old heads there said it was a good machine for the money but I should look for a second hand one, probably best on Facebook picking up an unwanted Christmas present at this time of year.

Inspired I joined a few groups last night and lo and behold there was a Vanquish 440 (better model) former Christmas present at a good price. Nipped over to Fife this morning and I'm all set to go!

It will obviously take a while to get used to it and get the best out of it.

One thing my fellow detectorists do is a free search for items people have lost in their gardens - rings and things. PM me if you'd like to avail yourself of this free service. When I say it's free I take coffee with milk and 2 sugars 😊

There's all sorts of Laws regarding where I can search so don't be asking if you lost something on an ancient battlefield, munitions dumps or the likes!

Also if we have any landowners on here and you wouldn't mind me trampling all over it, very carefully and replacing my divots, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
    Last edited by Jack; 07-02-2023 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I took my time getting round to this 😆 a belated thank you Hibbyradge.

Now fully retired and Mrs Jackie nippin ma heid to dae somethin over the last few weeks I've been looking at this seriously 😳

Yesterday I went along to the Scottish Detector Club. £18 insurance and membership I was in!

Not surprisingly they are a very knowledgeable, enthusiastic group.

After some research I had set my mind on a Vanquish 340. The old heads there said it was a good machine for the money but I should look for a second hand one, probably best on Facebook picking up an unwanted Christmas present at this time of year.

Inspired I joined a few groups last night and lo and behold there was a Vanquish 440 (better model) former Christmas present at a good price. Nipped over to Fife this morning and I'm all set to go!

It will obviously take a while to get used to it and get the best out of it.

One thing my fellow detectorists do is a free search for items people have lost in their gardens - rings and things. PM me if you'd like to avail yourself of this free service. When I say it's free I take coffee with milk and 2 sugars 😊

There's all sorts of Laws regarding where I can search so don't be asking if you lost something on an ancient battlefield, munitions dumps or the likes!

Also if we have any landowners on here and you wouldn't mind me trampling all over it, very carefully and replacing my divots, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
    Amazing!

It only took you 2 years to take the plunge.

I've been considering bowls for a decade! 😉