hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IIRC there was a thread on this last summer, no?
    The stats show up well so far. An average of 7 points from every 4 games is usually good enough for 3rd. To me that is a good ongoing yardstick. Not that I would expect that sort of return every year. We were ahead of that until the recent poor run, but are still behind that average by just two points.
    Despite that decent points tally, and also already having been to Hampden (a target of at least once per season was a general consensus last time), I think the criticism of the team is justified on several counts.
    1. We have made what on paper appear to be some excellent signings to strengthen at a time when most other clubs are not doing likewise.
    2. Huns aside, our main protagonists are not exactly at their strongest this season. The corollary though is that there is not much to choose between most of the other clubs in the league.
    3. I think for the squad we have we have been underperforming. We could and should be doing better.
    This is a better than average Hibs squad therefore it is fair to expect better than average results.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With all thats been posted recently, it appears the support have vastly differing expections as to what constitutes a good season. There seems to be supporters who wouldng be happy with top 4 and cup semi/final but quite a few saying thats not enough? Just wondered what they do view as a good season?

maybe not what you're asking but I don't think you can compare high level overall expectations for a whole season of 50 plus games to specific insipid performances like last Saturday. Two very different things.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    IIRC there was a thread on this last summer, no?
    The stats show up well so far. An average of 7 points from every 4 games is usually good enough for 3rd. To me that is a good ongoing yardstick. Not that I would expect that sort of return every year. We were ahead of that until the recent poor run, but are still behind that average by just two points.
    Despite that decent points tally, and also already having been to Hampden (a target of at least once per season was a general consensus last time), I think the criticism of the team is justified on several counts.
    1. We have made what on paper appear to be some excellent signings to strengthen at a time when most other clubs are not doing likewise.
    2. Huns aside, our main protagonists are not exactly at their strongest this season. The corollary though is that there is not much to choose between most of the other clubs in the league.
    3. I think for the squad we have we have been underperforming. We could and should be doing better.
    This is a better than average Hibs squad therefore it is fair to expect better than average results.
    Good points.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    From my experience the expectations levels on here change dependent on how we’re doing.

If we’re bottom six people say top 6 is minimum requirements.

If we’re top 6 people say top 4 is minimum requirement.

If we’re top 4 people say that’s the minimum and we should be 3rd with a cup and beating the big teams often.

For me I always think top 4 and good cup runs is a good season for us.

People might turn their nose up at that but the amount of times we’ve finished in the top 4 over the last 20 years is very low, I’d like us so start being top 4 consistently. From there you then generate more money from Europe etc and look more attractive for better players to join and therefore have a better chance of a cup.

I hate the thought of chopping and changing managers like we have done recently and expecting the to automatically make us brilliant. It takes time to build the squad you want by from what I’ve see from Ross I like his signings and type of player he tries to recruit.
    Nothing needs added to that. Exactly the position.

Winning a trophy and qualifying for Europe.

Depends on how the season goes and the opportunities you’re presented with.

Start of the season if you told me we’d get fourth and qualify for Europe, I’d have said that would probably represent a good season.

Now, unless we go and win the Scottish Cup, it’s going to feel like we’ve underachieved given the opportunities missed in the cups.

If the season was flipped on its head and I was seeing an improving team I’d maybe feel a bit differently but we’re going the other way as it goes on.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    When one of the top 5 highlights of the season isn’t an f bomb being dropped on The Match.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    When one of the top 5 highlights of the season isn’t an f bomb being dropped on The Match.
    Prepare for a few tomorrow night..

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Christ you must have hated 95% of the last 40 years.
    1970's with the Tornadoes, League runners up 74&75, League cup win 73 and runner up 75, Scottish cup final 72&79 and 2 Dryburgh cups 72 and 73.

Since then we've flitted about up and down the leagues, a few odd finals and 2 wins in the League cup and that famous win in 2016. Definitely not enough for a club with our history and size.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Start of the season if you told me we’d get fourth and qualify for Europe, I’d have said that would probably represent a good season.

Now, unless we go and win the Scottish Cup, it’s going to feel like we’ve underachieved given the opportunities missed in the cups.

If the season was flipped on its head and I was seeing an improving team I’d maybe feel a bit differently but we’re going the other way as it goes on.
    The way things are going, 4th may not even be achieved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    It's all about context IMO, and this season is the most surreal season that any of us associated with football has even experienced which I guess is why my expectations are not as high as they seem to be to others.

Take the 2016 season where we lost a cup final and a play off final and went in to the Scottish cup final that, had we lost, it would have been probably the ultimate kick in the balls for a lot of fans. Thankfully we were given the best footballing day our lives and none of it really mattered in the grand scheme of things, but in that context it would have been harder to take for me certainly than even the final against Hearts.

It's a bit "if my aunt had baws", but thats just my feeling on it.

We will have a club to support at the end of this nonsense, and with the players we have been able to bring in we will hopefully be able to get a flying start when supporters get back in to grounds to roar the team on.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Finishing 4th is a good season for us. No ifs or buts.

The two cup semi finals have been really tough to take, but let’s not lose all sense of proportion just because we are feeling a bit cross.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    The way things are going, 4th may not even be achieved.

You mean we will finish third?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Qualifying for Europe, cup final, winning record against Hearts, couple wins against the OF.

If we can achieve all these then I'd say that's a good season. Three out of four is ok too.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Finishing 4th is a good season for us. No ifs or buts.

The two cup semi finals have been really tough to take, but let’s not lose all sense of proportion just because we are feeling a bit cross.
    Finishing fourth will be us punching our weight but nothing better. So more satisfactory (results wise) than good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Qualifying for Europe, cup final, winning record against Hearts, couple wins against the OF.

If we can achieve all these then I'd say that's a good season. Three out of four is ok too.
    A good season?? That would be a fantastic season and have other teams looking at our manager. Id be interested to know how many times that has happened?

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    A team trying to play with flair and emotion, players that'll get you out your seat and cheer. Not expecting to win the league but not frightened to have a go at it by not giving the OF any respect, so minimum top 4 pushing for 3rd or 2nd. Not losing heavily to any team below us and if we lose to Aberdeen and OF, it's because they've worked hard for it. Minimum both semis in cups but expect the final of one with a chance of winning it. Regular European football.
    Genuinely never had a good season in my lifetime if thats the template.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    A good season?? That would be a fantastic season and have other teams looking at our manager. Id be interested to know how many times that has happened?
    2016 is probably the only one recently and Stubbs still gets pelters.

Finishing fourth will be us punching our weight but nothing better. So more satisfactory (results wise) than good IMO.
    That’s about right. 3rd would probably count as good. If we let Livingston catch us for 4th then that is unforgivable and it should cost Ross his job.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    2016 is probably the only one recently and Stubbs still gets pelters.
    Stubbs failed to get us promoted and finished below Falkirk in the league. With the players we had, that was disgraceful. He had to go.

I think a good season boils down to what we achieved the season before. Ultimately improving on the league position of the previous season and getting farther in the cups. If we manage to get 3rd or 4th maintaining that position would be a good season.

All in all steady progress is what a team like Hibs should be aiming for. Overhauls and expecting instant results is unrealistic long term and it rarely works out for clubs.

Stubbs failed to get us promoted and finished below Falkirk in the league. With the players we had, that was disgraceful. He had to go.

Disgraceful is a strong word. Especially when you add context. Really boiled down to dreadful decisions in the playoffs. Overall Stubbs job is excellent. Bizarre that after the cup win he still gets so little credit.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    1970's with the Tornadoes, League runners up 74&75, League cup win 73 and runner up 75, Scottish cup final 72&79 and 2 Dryburgh cups 72 and 73.

Since then we've flitted about up and down the leagues, a few odd finals and 2 wins in the League cup and that famous win in 2016. Definitely not enough for a club with our history and size.
    It has been in keeping with our history to be honest. We've won a trophy in the 90s, 00s and 10s. Hibs have never won a major trophy in 3 continuous decades before then.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I think it’s pretty hard to define a decent season.

We had a couple of good seasons under McLeish and Mowbray but won hee-haw.

Similarly, Lennon’s first season back in the Prem was the best I can remember but we won nowt.

Stubbs winning the cup was obviously excellent, but the season as whole was pretty naff.

In my time supporting Hibs there have been more disappointing than decent seasons overall. I just live in hope.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    That’s about right. 3rd would probably count as good. If we let Livingston catch us for 4th then that is unforgivable and it should cost Ross his job.

From how far ahead we were we should absolutely not have ever been getting roped back in by Livingston.

Unfortunately we’ve already thrown a large chunk of that lead but if we manage to throw the rest of the lead as well and finish 5th then this season will have been a disaster.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

From how far ahead we were we should absolutely not have ever been getting roped back in by Livingston.

Unfortunately we’ve already thrown a large chunk of that lead but if we manage to throw the rest of the lead as well and finish 5th then this season will have been a disaster.
    That has also been as much about their incredible run . if they go another 10-12 games undefeated winning 9 of them - they’ll be chasing 3rd place let alone 4th ...

We can only control our performances , not theirs