hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

David Martindale

No, I am not suggesting he replace JR. (Not yet anyway.) Looking for an explanation if anyone out there is ITK about the rules and procedures about his SFA hearing to determine if he is a "fit and proper person" to manage Livvie.
    Per BBC, "if deemed unfit, it would be up to Livingston whether he continues in the manager's job or another role within the club."
    So if it is Livvie's call, why the hearing? Clearly they think he is fit given he has been put in that position at least through to the end of the season.

Edit: apologies if already covered under the Ross Out or Jack Ross threads. I have not read these since Saturday and won't be.
    Last edited by Greenbeard; 26-01-2021 at 12:13 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    It seems daft to have a hearing for someone they've already decided is fit and proper.

But this is the same kind of test that allowed Craig Whyte and Charles green to own Rangers I think....so take from that what you will.

I don’t think it’s to determine fit and proper as a head coach but more of his role within football operations.

I hope he gets to continue, I quite like him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't want him anywhere near Hibs for a variety of reason. Main one is his style of football is absolutely dreadful. Folk think Jack Ross style is bad (it isn't) but on his worse day his sides play like Brazil compared to Martindale.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't want him anywhere near Hibs for a variety of reason. Main one is his style of football is absolutely dreadful. Folk think Jack Ross style is bad (it isn't) but on his worse day his sides play like Brazil compared to Martindale.
    They ripped us apart at Easter Road and looked good at Almondvale against Celtic imo. It was much better football than what we play most of the time so I’m not sure his style of football is that bad?

Admittedly that’s about all I’ve seen of his Livi side though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Shouldn't be a question. Guy has proven himself and some. How good does he have Livingston playing.

Promising Youngster
    If he's not allowed to be a Manager due to the SFAs fit and proper nonsense, then they really need to take a look at Craig Thompson ffs.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    It seems daft to have a hearing for someone they've already decided is fit and proper.

But this is the same kind of test that allowed Craig Whyte and Charles green to own Rangers I think....so take from that what you will.
    The SFA benchmark is multiple convicted tax fraudster Dodgy Dave King.

They seemed happy with Vladimir Romanov too.

He'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Anyone that can get Robinson scoring as many goals as he has deserves the job.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Passed as a fit and proper person

Pretty happy for him to be honest and shows people can be rehabilitated.

I like listening to him too, very grounded

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    They ripped us apart at Easter Road and looked good at Almondvale against Celtic imo. It was much better football than what we play most of the time so I’m not sure his style of football is that bad?

Admittedly that’s about all I’ve seen of his Livi side though.
    We ripped them apart at Livi as well. He seriously plays gash football. I've never seen them play better football than us. Watch their game on Sunday. Probably the poorest spectacle of top level football in Scotland all season. Rather watch Hearts.

Guy served his time. He appears genuinely remorseful and accepting of the impact of his actions, wouldn't appear to be at a high risk of re offending and he's unlikely to be working directly with vulnerable groups for long periods of time. No brainer that he should be allowed to continue in his role.

A criminal record follows people throughout their lives and it's a real stigma. There are obvious cases when it should be and is a barrier to certain types of employment. I don't think this is one of those cases. Now the SFA have made their decision he should be left in peace to get on with his life and not hounded about his past every 5 minutes.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Good stuff. We all lose if folk aren't allowed to rehabilitate and move on with their lives.

Fair play to David for his incredible job so far at Livi.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    Only acceptable outcome IMO.

As for the notion that his style of football is 'absolutely dreadful' above, while Sunday's game against St Mirren was a thoroughly unpleasant watch, they actually play a lot more football this season than they did with Dykes leading the line last season. There's so much pace in their front line and midfield that they actually play some pretty efficient passing football this season. They're effective, they're solid at the back (only conceded 1 goal after the 60 minute mark in any game all season), and their work rate off the ball is incredible.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

We ripped them apart at Livi as well. He seriously plays gash football. I've never seen them play better football than us. Watch their game on Sunday. Probably the poorest spectacle of top level football in Scotland all season. Rather watch Hearts.
    Wouldnt say we are playing any better and recent form shows tgat esp since he started managing Livi. Has the whole squad fighting as a team and more passion unlike Ross at Hibs. But then again your happy with Ross in charge

Gamer IDs

I've watched every single Livi game this season (family have an involvement with the club and we have a close family friend who's a regular in the first team) and this is just wrong. They played some utter dross under Holt earlier in the season but Martindale has done a fantastic job changing them into a pacey, passing and aggressive team.

He wasn’t in charge of them when we beat them earlier in the season to be fair.

From what I’ve seen of them, which has been minimal, in their game against us then Celtic they looked alright and played better football than we do.

I’m sure they’re not fussed regardless of what other fans think of their football, they’ve got a very winnable final to look forward to

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    He wasn’t in charge of them when we beat them earlier in the season to be fair.

From what I’ve seen of them, which has been minimal, in their game against us then Celtic they looked alright and played better football than we do.

I’m sure they’re not fussed regardless of what other fans think of their football, they’ve got a very winnable final to look forward to
    He's been in charge of them for most of the last 3 years I think. He's the one being doing all the hard work, just wasn't manager because of the fit and proper persons nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I've watched every single Livi game this season (family have an involvement with the club and we have a close family friend who's a regular in the first team) and this is just wrong. They played some utter dross under Holt earlier in the season but Martindale has done a fantastic job changing them into a pacey, passing and aggressive team.
    Sunday shows otherwise. Dreadful hoofball. Wouldn't last 5 minutes here playing like that.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Wouldnt say we are playing any better and recent form shows tgat esp since he started managing Livi. Has the whole squad fighting as a team and more passion unlike Ross at Hibs. But then again your happy with Ross in charge
    fighting 8 points behind us, thats what actually matters.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGog View Post
    If he's not allowed to be a Manager due to the SFAs fit and proper nonsense, then they really need to take a look at Craig Thompson ffs.
    Graham Rix was manager of a club in Scotland and had served a jail term but either passed this test or the club involved got round it.

Glad to see it's gone through OK anyway though.

He's been in charge of them for most of the last 3 years I think. He's the one being doing all the hard work, just wasn't manager because of the fit and proper persons nonsense.

Sunday shows otherwise. Dreadful hoofball. Wouldn't last 5 minutes here playing like that.

fighting 8 points behind us, thats what actually matters.
    So if he’s really been in charge of them for that long how do you explain their upturn in form since Martindale was appointed as manager?

We’ve been playing dreadful hoofball for long spells including the majority of the 2nd half on Saturday.

Another poster has said he’s watched most of their games since Martindale was appointed and they’ve been playing good football but you’re labelling them as a hoofball team after watching them in a single game? A semi final at that where winning is all that matters?

Playing devils advocate here but if he was foreign and was attempting to take over a club would as many folk be accepting of his past? If a foreign owner who had previously been convicted of being involved in serious organised crime and drug dealing would he be deemed fit and proper?

I'm not actually against him being allowed to manage Livingston just wondering if the fact he's Scottish and a manager as opposed to an owner helped him in this instance.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 26-01-2021 at 12:57 PM.

Gamer IDs

Utter nonsense.

Nobody's suggesting he's going to end up here, but one game is no basis to judge anything. Especially a cup-semi final. Just like the odd game/appearance off the bench wasn't enough for me to judge Pepe as the pish footballer he's been since moving to Arsenal...

Utter nonsense.

Nobody's suggesting he's going to end up here, but one game is no basis to judge anything. Especially a cup-semi final. Just like the odd game/appearance off the bench wasn't enough for me to judge Pepe as the pish footballer he's been since moving to Arsenal...
    I don't think it's nonesense. It's well known he was very influential in the dressing room under Holt.

Utter nonsense.

Not nonsense. The chairman says today that Martindale has been the driving force for five years.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I don't think it's nonesense. It's well known he was very influential in the dressing room under Holt.
    If he was that influential then there wouldn’t have been such a change in their results and style of play since he took over.

He may have had some influence, but I’d suggest it was pretty limited seeing how much of an improvement he’s made since coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Beat me to it every man and his dug knew Martingdale has been pulling the strings at livvy for the last 3 years apart from sylar

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    Beat me to it every man and his dug knew Martingdale has been pulling the strings at livvy for the last 3 years apart from sylar

None of the signing decisions made in the last 3 years were anyting to do with Martindale. None of the lineups prior to him taking over as head coach were ever picked by Martindale, and ergo none of the tactics were determined by him. Occasionally providing counsel on subs, definitely - as any assistant coach would.

So where was his control? Has been an important feature in the club? Absolutely - he's been a brilliant coach that's been heavily involved in training regimes, player development etc. Pulling the strings? Not even close.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Not nonsense. The chairman says today that Martindale has been the driving force for five years.
    He's been an important part of the dressing room - I don't dispute that (as per earlier post). Again, knowing someone on the current board (family member) and a current player (who I won't name), I'm familiar with his role over the past few years. The notion that somehow Hopkin and Holt were mere puppets that Martindale was overseeing is a total nonsense.

None of the signing decisions made in the last 3 years were anyting to do with Martindale. None of the lineups prior to him taking over as head coach were ever picked by Martindale, and ergo none of the tactics were determined by him. Occasionally providing counsel on subs, definitely - as any assistant coach would.

So where was his control? Has been an important feature in the club? Absolutely - he's been a brilliant coach that's been heavily involved in training regimes, player development etc. Pulling the strings? Not even close.
    Ok