hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    None of the signing decisions made in the last 3 years were anyting to do with Martindale. None of the lineups prior to him taking over as head coach were ever picked by Martindale, and ergo none of the tactics were determined by him. Occasionally providing counsel on subs, definitely - as any assistant coach would.

So where was his control? Has been an important feature in the club? Absolutely - he's been a brilliant coach that's been heavily involved in training regimes, player development etc. Pulling the strings? Not even close.
    Thats wrong. Source - ex Coach and players.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    So hang on -

Martindale was the brains behind the operation yet things only picked up when he took over. How did that happen? If he was the man in charge anyway then why were they not getting these results before? He made an instant impact when he took over, why the change?

They played horrendous football at the start of the season and now play a much different style to previously. Why the sudden change if he was already in charge?

Martindale was only in a less prominent role because he wouldn’t have passed the fit and proper test - something which Livingston themselves decide and have passed him for. Why did they not do it previously rather than trying to hide him in the shadows?

Doesn’t really add up, especially when Sylar clearly has plenty contacts at the club who say otherwise..
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 26-01-2021 at 01:20 PM.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Martindale is a fantastic example of how you can turn your life around if given a second opportunity. Righting after wrong is never a bad idea. As for his style of football, I would see past the hoofball jibes and see it as he is getting a team of players to consistently punch above their level. I would have that kind of manager at Easter Road every season.

It shouldn’t even be a discussion. There is no point in prison if someone like him, who is a model for rehabilitation since coming out, doesn’t get a clean slate. The SFA have for once done the right thing.

it seems to be the done thing to dislike every team that isn’t Hibs; but personally I quite like Livvy, despite that misery in 2004 (our fault for letting Stuart Lovell leave). To recover from where they were from ten years ago to where they are now is something to admire. And it sounds like they are trying to be more expansive in their style of play.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    It shouldn’t even be a discussion. There is no point in prison if someone like him, who is a model for rehabilitation since coming out, doesn’t get a clean slate. The SFA have for once done the right thing.

it seems to be the done thing to dislike every team that isn’t Hibs; but personally I quite like Livvy, despite that misery in 2004 (our fault for letting Stuart Lovell leave). To recover from where they were from ten years ago to where they are now is something to admire. And it sounds like they are trying to be more expansive in their style of play.
    Theoretically which offence would people say NO I dont care about rehabilitation - the person shouldn't be allowed that job.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Theoretically which offence would people say NO I dont care about rehabilitation - the person shouldn't be allowed that job.
    I'm sure everyone knows themselves atleast a few offences that would never be tolerated for someone trying to work in football.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 26-01-2021 at 02:02 PM.

What was his crime

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    So hang on -

Martindale was the brains behind the operation yet things only picked up when he took over. How did that happen? If he was the man in charge anyway then why were they not getting these results before? He made an instant impact when he took over, why the change?

They played horrendous football at the start of the season and now play a much different style to previously. Why the sudden change if he was already in charge?

Martindale was only in a less prominent role because he wouldn’t have passed the fit and proper test - something which Livingston themselves decide and have passed him for. Why did they not do it previously rather than trying to hide him in the shadows?

Doesn’t really add up, especially when Sylar clearly has plenty contacts at the club who say otherwise..
    They are on a great run right now....the football hasnt changed much tbh. Other teams have been poor. They werent great against us, we were just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by May21/05/16 View Post
    What was his crime

Large scale drug trafficking. Including heroin.

@hibs.net private member
    Glad he has been deemed fit to continue. As to his style of football it looks at least as good as ours with a squad full of much cheaper to employ players. One of managers main jobs is to get the sum of the parts greater than its individual parts. For me Martindale, at least in his short time as manager, is doing a much better job than our boss currently is. If the rumours are to be believed that he has been pulling the strings for a while then he also has done a very good job over a decent period of time. If Ross leaves or is sacked at the end of the season then I would consider Martindale as a strong candidate.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    They are on a great run right now....the football hasnt changed much tbh. Other teams have been poor. They werent great against us, we were just awful.
    I’m not too sure that’s a fair comment on livi to be honest. Whilst we were poor that day I thought livi played some decent stuff

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Large scale drug trafficking. Including heroin.
    And money-laundering associated with said trafficking.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Saville, West, the Soham guy, I think we all would have a similar list of untouchables.

Jesus christ drug trafficking and money laundering is heavy duty crime im surprised he passed hopefully hes moved on with his dark past as I couldn't pass him to be fit but I'm biased as I lost my brother to drugs scourge of the world drugs

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Not nonsense. The chairman says today that Martindale has been the driving force for five years.
    Case closed. Seriously. Its the worst kept secret in Scottish football that he has been running the show for years.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Good stuff. We all lose if folk aren't allowed to rehabilitate and move on with their lives.

Fair play to David for his incredible job so far at Livi.
    Absolutely - notwithstanding the drubbing they handed out to us at ER last time out, Martindale's success has been a feelgood story. He comes across well and I get the impression he has put his past behind him and genuinely values and appreciates the opportunity afforded to him to redeem himself in the eyes of the world.

Nice to see him do well and, if recent form is not just a flash in the pan, maybe a genuine football coaching gem has been unearthed?!?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Case closed. Seriously. Its the worst kept secret in Scottish football that he has been running the show for years.
    If you say so - I know contrary and I can't be arsed with an argument on the matter.

Oh, and Pepe is absolutely ***** by the way. Case closed. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    If you say so - I know contrary and I can't be arsed with an argument on the matter.

Oh, and Pepe is absolutely ***** by the way. Case closed. Seriously.

Someone is a bit touchy. Dunno why you keep mentioning Pepe. Bit of a strange obsession with him.

Again, I'll go with quotes from the chairman, not your mate.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

Someone is a bit touchy. Dunno why you keep mentioning Pepe. Bit of a strange obsession with him.

Again, I'll go with quotes from the chairman, not your mate.
    Knock yourself out (figuratively speaking - I'm not a total arse ) - language matters - I've made clear in previous posts that Martindale has yielded influence in the club but there's a MASSIVE difference between that and 'pulling the strings'.

Not an obsession - I just recall posters I have odd encounters with - it's almost like you had an alert set up to notify you everytime someone mentioned Pepe at one point. Constantly trying to convince everyone on here he was a decent player and deriding anyone with an opinion to the contrary because they hadn't watched him enough - it seemed a relevant counterpoint to you attempting to sum up Livi's entire performance history based on Sunday.

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Does anyone know why Kenny Miller left? Must have been something as he was not there very long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Does anyone know why Kenny Miller left? Must have been something as he was not there very long.

Heard a story that Miller turned up on his first day and Martindale had organised the session with all the cones out on the pitch. Probably nonsense but quite funny nonetheless.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Saville, West, the Soham guy, I think we all would have a similar list of untouchables.
    Ched Evans?

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Ched Evans?
    Graeme Rix

@hibs.net private member Victor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Heard a story that Miller turned up on his first day and Martindale had organised the session with all the cones out on the pitch. Probably nonsense but quite funny nonetheless.
    It would appear that Martindale came with the job and Miller, had no say over an assistant. Then again he would have known that before he took the job.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Graeme Rix
    Untouchable or..?

He kinda annoys me TBH. He thinks hes cracked this management lark when in reality hes gone on a good run against the lower ranked teams in the league. Yep i know they turned us over and drew with Celtic but some on here were greeting we could only draw with celtic...

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Guy served his time. He appears genuinely remorseful and accepting of the impact of his actions, wouldn't appear to be at a high risk of re offending and he's unlikely to be working directly with vulnerable groups for long periods of time. No brainer that he should be allowed to continue in his role.

A criminal record follows people throughout their lives and it's a real stigma. There are obvious cases when it should be and is a barrier to certain types of employment. I don't think this is one of those cases. Now the SFA have made their decision he should be left in peace to get on with his life and not hounded about his past every 5 minutes.
    Can you honestly say that without conviction, unless you have been affected with loss of life through addiction. Then Martindales actions, especially selling to the young and ill advised. Can never be forgotten RIP.

Guy should be a role model for those who want to turn their life around. It can be done. He made a mistake. He learned from it and knuckled down.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Guy should be a role model for those who want to turn their life around. It can be done. He made a mistake. He learned from it and knuckled down.

I think you're being a bit naive to think he made a daft mistake. It wasn't a rush off blood one off error of judgement he made. I'm all for rehabilitation but as someone said where do you draw the line?. He was living the life of crime and lived a very good life from it for quite a while

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk