hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heard a story that Miller turned up on his first day and Martindale had organised the session with all the cones out on the pitch. Probably nonsense but quite funny nonetheless.

Spot on.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    So hang on -

Martindale was the brains behind the operation yet things only picked up when he took over. How did that happen? If he was the man in charge anyway then why were they not getting these results before? He made an instant impact when he took over, why the change?

They played horrendous football at the start of the season and now play a much different style to previously. Why the sudden change if he was already in charge?

Martindale was only in a less prominent role because he wouldn’t have passed the fit and proper test - something which Livingston themselves decide and have passed him for. Why did they not do it previously rather than trying to hide him in the shadows?

Doesn’t really add up, especially when Sylar clearly has plenty contacts at the club who say otherwise..
    ‘Clearly’ has contacts? Debatable. I mean I could come on a messageboard and say my uncle owns a football team but it wouldn’t be clear to everyone else. Not saying it’s not true, just picking up on the clearly part.

They still play the same style of football, sturdy defensively and play % football. Robinson running into channels, Bartley battling in the middle. Nothing has changed.

Results have changed partly due to the teams they were playing, few lower league sides in the cup and bottom 6 sides in the league to build confidence, pumped us on a horrendous day, and then got the double header against Celtic at the perfect time.

He’s worked wonders but it’s not beyond the realms to see why the improvement came and there’s nothing to suggest it wouldn’t have happened under Holt. Martindale said himself very early on that very little had changed.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Rehabilitation is obviously to be encouraged and it's great that he's turned his life around. If he can be an example to others then all the better.

I'd still have mixed feelings if he was ever to be appointed by Hibs. Just being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam978 View Post
    Can you honestly say that without conviction, unless you have been affected with loss of life through addiction. Then Martindales actions, especially selling to the young and ill advised. Can never be forgotten RIP.
    I think there's a bit of the hypocrite in all of us. I'd be far from pleased if someone like Adam Johnson pitched up at ER, regardless or whether he had been rehabilitated.

In saying that I'd argue one of the most surefire ways to force people back into a life of crime is to deny them meaningful employment. Is society better served by former criminals working in a way that is productive or sitting at home shunned by everyone around them? What heightens the chance of reoffending?

Of course you have to consider the victims and it's highly likely Martindales actions led to further crimes, family break ups, possibly even deaths and a whole load of other issues. Do we place that societal burden on one man's shoulders though? He has served the punishment part of his sentence and now appears to have made a genuine effort to show remorse for and repent for his crimes. There will always be those who argue he didn't pay quite enough, he can only do what was asked of him though and if he is living a better life now that's surely to the benefit of everyone.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Clearly’ has contacts? Debatable. I mean I could come on a messageboard and say my uncle owns a football team but it wouldn’t be clear to everyone else. Not saying it’s not true, just picking up on the clearly part.

They still play the same style of football, sturdy defensively and play % football. Robinson running into channels, Bartley battling in the middle. Nothing has changed.

Results have changed partly due to the teams they were playing, few lower league sides in the cup and bottom 6 sides in the league to build confidence, pumped us on a horrendous day, and then got the double header against Celtic at the perfect time.

He’s worked wonders but it’s not beyond the realms to see why the improvement came and there’s nothing to suggest it wouldn’t have happened under Holt. Martindale said himself very early on that very little had changed.
    Absolutely correct Sam - I am genuine but I'm also just a random name/avatar on a football messageboard and simply saying it doesn't make it so. I categorically agree with you. Nowhere near suggesting my uncle is indeed an owner for what it's worth - just a member of the board. But again, skepticism is a healthy approach to take on a board where we mostly don't know each other from Adam. Those on here who DO know me would probably verify I've had a long-standing association with Livingston and that I'm not the kind of guy that's likely to resorting to lying to win some points in a pointless argument, but again, it's easy for me to say!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Good goal by Pepe tonight, his 6th of the season

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

I'd still have mixed feelings if he was ever to be appointed by Hibs. Just being honest.
    Why?

If he wins the League Cup with Livingston and sustains a good run in the 2nd half of the season his stock is going to be high.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Good goal by Pepe tonight, his 6th of the season
    I was actually hoping you'd post when I saw he scored - I had a chuckle
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Why?

If he wins the League Cup with Livingston and sustains a good run in the 2nd half of the season his stock is going to be high.
    Coz he dealt drugs that kill people

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Why?

It's nothing to do with do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I was actually hoping you'd post when I saw he scored - I had a chuckle
    All good fun

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Absolutely correct Sam - I am genuine but I'm also just a random name/avatar on a football messageboard and simply saying it doesn't make it so. I categorically agree with you. Nowhere near suggesting my uncle is indeed an owner for what it's worth - just a member of the board. But again, skepticism is a healthy approach to take on a board where we mostly don't know each other from Adam. Those on here who DO know me would probably verify I've had a long-standing association with Livingston and that I'm not the kind of guy that's likely to resorting to lying to win some points in a pointless argument, but again, it's easy for me to say!
    Wasn’t doubting it at all, glad it never came over like that, just a balance to the argument.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i've quite mixed feelings re martindale, rehabilitation is all good and that but i've always been very anti-drugs and always think a dealer plays their part in giving people the tools to possibly, well....i don't really want to go there

i certainly wouldn't want him at hibernian fc, but good luck to him though

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    i've quite mixed feelings re martindale, rehabilitation is all good and that but i've always been very anti-drugs and always think a dealer plays their part in giving people the tools to possibly, well....i don't really want to go there

i certainly wouldn't want him at hibernian fc, but good luck to him though
    You say you are anti drugs.
    What do you think of people who sell cigarettes?
    One drug is illegal and one is legal but they both bring addiction & death.
    Both products are sold for profit with complete disregard for the health and well being of the user.

As for Martindale, he tried to sort his financial problems with an illegal and immoral fix and came unstuck. Quickly realised he didn't like the jail and decided a criminals life wasn't for him. Had his assets confiscated and had to start again on his release. Has worked hard for the last 10 years and has earned his place back with the rest of us. I don't think there is a risk of him reoffending and pleased such a driven guy will be using that drive for good.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 26-01-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Coz he dealt drugs that kill people
    Alcohol has killed more people in Scotland in the last decade than drugs. Cigarettes far more than both. Passive smoking kills and harms lots of people including young children. Would you support a ban on people who sell either of those in football?

What Martindale done was wrong and undoubtedly caused misery in many people's lives but it's a complex issue around how we view certain things in society simply because some men in Government decide things are legal and others not.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 27-01-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Alcohol has killed more people in Scotland in the last decade than drugs. Cigarettes far more than both. Passive smoking kills and harms lots of people including young children. Would you support a ban on people who sell either of those in football?

What Martindale done was wrong and undoubtedly caused misery in many people's lives but it's a complex issue around how we view certain things in society simply because some men in Government decide things are legal and others not.
    A cigarette argument next to Heroin is just stupid. There just isn’t a debate. Heroin is an instantly life threatening drug. There is nothing complex about it. Dealing a bit of weed and organising the sale of a huge amount of Heroin are massively different.

A cigarette argument next to Heroin is just stupid. There just isn’t a debate. Heroin is an instantly life threatening drug. There is nothing complex about it. Dealing a bit of weed and organising the sale of a huge amount of Heroin are massively different.
    Surely the end result is what's ultimately the most important factor?

Smoking related deaths are 1000% higher than those related to all illegal drugs every single year.

Id imagine if Martindales ‘business’ was involved in the distribution of heroin they were involved in the illicit tobacco trade as well, so in this context there’s really no point fighting about which is more dangerous. He was making profits out of both. (It’s fun to do though; Priti Patel was a tobacco lobbyist for years, I’d personally be ashamed if one of my kids was doing that for a career. The abuse of prescription drugs prescribed by GPS to deal with depression and anxiety is way more visible problem on the streets Edinburgh that traditional heroin use with needles etc. As ever, the stigma comes with how illegal a product is and whether it is sold to the rich or the poor, rather than the relative dangers of each product).

If Martindale was manager of hertz or the huns, the 'good guy' stuff wouldn't exist.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    If Martindale was manager of hertz or the huns, the 'good guy' stuff wouldn't exist.
    To be fair whoever is manager of Hearts or the Huns is never a good guy

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    Obviously. As it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    You say you are anti drugs.
    What do you think of people who sell cigarettes?
    One drug is illegal and one is legal but they both bring addiction & death.
    Both products are sold for profit with complete disregard for the health and well being of the user.

As for Martindale, he tried to sort his financial problems with an illegal and immoral fix and came unstuck. Quickly realised he didn't like the jail and decided a criminals life wasn't for him. Had his assets confiscated and had to start again on his release. Has worked hard for the last 10 years and has earned his place back with the rest of us. I don't think there is a risk of him reoffending and pleased such a driven guy will be using that drive for good.
    I'm no expert, and even as an ardent non-smoker I don't agree with your soft analogy with cigarettes, but it does appear that DM has worked hard and quietly over a significant period to eventually make something of his life, and contribute to society, despite his past, not instantly gain post-jail success because of his past like Boyle, Collins etc.

Martingale seemingly invested a fair bit of money in Livingston early on in his association with them. What was his post-prison career (before he got involved full-time in Livingston)? All I could find on Google was ‘construction’.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Martingale seemingly invested a fair bit of money in Livingston early on in his association with them. What was his post-prison career (before he got involved full-time in Livingston)? All I could find on Google was ‘construction’.
    Not that you’re implying this - but if he has invested proceeds gained from crime , that would pose quite different questions perhaps

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Not that you’re implying this - but if he has invested proceeds gained from crime , that would pose quite different questions perhaps
    He was subject to a POC order, and paid about £130k.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 27-01-2021 at 12:59 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    We're football fans, hypocrisy comes with the territory.

If Hitler had invested big in Hibs, we'd have a statue of him in front of ER.
    You've stretched it a bit there, but the bases of your argument is sound, I agree re fans, hypocrisy & territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    We're football fans, hypocrisy comes with the territory.

If Hitler had invested big in Hibs, we'd have a statue of him in front of ER.
    Ultimate Slaver right enough. Like undisputed champion slaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    I'm no expert, and even as an ardent non-smoker I don't agree with your soft analogy with cigarettes, but it does appear that DM has worked hard and quietly over a significant period to eventually make something of his life, and contribute to society, despite his past, not instantly gain post-jail success because of his past like Boyle, Collins etc.
    Who is Collins?
    Boyle was a career criminal. Martindale wasn't. Fancied the easy money of crime but changed his mind as soon as he was caught.
    What Martindale has is a dedication to excellence. It's a transferrable skill from organised crime to sport.

A guy called john McAvoy is the best example of turning your life around from that of the heaviest of career criminals. His story is far more interesting and incredible than Boyles and is told without gilding the lily.
    McAvoy tells his story in the following long interview. Warning - it is more than two hours long but is a fastastically interesting listen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtPN...nganChatterjee
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 27-01-2021 at 03:57 PM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Who is Collins?

L]
    Hughie Collins

https://ajayclose.co.uk/in-the-compa...s-hugh-collins

Another alumnus of the Special Unit in Barlinnie, like Boyle.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Hughie Collins

https://ajayclose.co.uk/in-the-compa...s-hugh-collins

Another alumnus of the Special Unit in Barlinnie, like Boyle.
    Cheers, I recognise the face.
    Not a patch on Boyle. Collins brain and chat are forever rooted in his old life.
    I met Jimmy Boyle a couple of times. He never spoke about his old life and I wasn't stupid enough to bring it up.
    Intellectual and still using a lot of the personal and business skills he had in his old life.
    I find the story of John McAvoy far more interesting than both.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 27-01-2021 at 05:10 PM.