hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leader

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar

Leader

We need one badly. 3 windows JRs has now and still hasn’t signed one. We’re crying out for one.

I don’t buy into hanlon being as bad as some make out but he isn’t a captain or a leader.

I reckon 1 or 2 could transform us

2. Log in to remove the advert

Right, but how do you just sign this magical ''leader''?

What do you look for, someone who shouts a lot? someone who leads by example? A leader somewhere else isn't going to be a leader here? It takes time to develop into a leader of a dressing room.

Yes, if prime Roy Keane was availible, I'd take him, but I don't think we are just going to get this magical leader. Jack Ross is not actively ignoring it, either. He has signed a good few players who have captained clubs before.

I agree but it's hard to just go out and buy a leader. I think we need a bit of nastiness in the side.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We need one badly. 3 windows JRs has now and still hasn’t signed one. We’re crying out for one.

I don’t buy into hanlon being as bad as some make out but he isn’t a captain or a leader.

I reckon 1 or 2 could transform us
    I made a similar point on the PM board.

The one leader we have at the club didn’t even make the bench on Saturday.

Jackson Irvine is a ‘leader’.

Its something I think fans get caught up more than players. What is a leader for example? Someone that shouts a lot and puts in tackles?

Or is it someone like a Martin Boyle, Kevin Nisbet or Scott Allan that when the team is playing poor and the backs against the wall says give me the ball and they go and create something, score a goal or take the game to the opposition?

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I agree but it's hard to just go out and buy a leader. I think we need a bit of nastiness in the side.
    I think hearts have signed a few. Naismith, smith, berra to an extent. Even Halkett. Not that I’d take they players but in that mould.

We need someone who’s in refs face at every decision. Someone who’s always got something to say.

They are out there and it’s up to our recruitment team to find them.

First Team Regular
    It's not just a question of leadership, it's about getting players with a bit of passion and personality: Leigh Griffiths or even Jason Cummings would ensure fewer dull moments.

I would make Joe Newell captain if he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    It's not just a question of leadership, it's about getting players with a bit of passion and personality: Leigh Griffiths or even Jason Cummings would ensure fewer dull moments.
    Aye I’d agree with this too. We don’t have enough players with personality. We lack some arrogance in the team imo.

We need players who’ll go out again st J etc and know they’re better.

I always find myself thinking back to Bartley’s interview on time for heroes talking about his experience in the tunnel before the 2-2 game. Hearts players were trying their best to irk them but there was a quiet confidence/arrogance from the hibs team

After the first half hour on Saturday you could see the players confidence drain and they looked as if they were ****ting themselves after

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    We definately need some players in there with a bit of character. McGinn, Fyvie, Mc Geough were all good footballers but they also had a bit of dig about them. Yes we lost important games when they were there as well but the effort and commitment were never in doubt. I'm afraid I just don't see any of that among the present mob. Gogic has a bit about him but is an ordinary footballer, the rest are soft physically and more importantly mentally. The time many of them spend on the treatment table with little niggles is another sign that a lot of them are just not up for it.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Wasn't Kyle Magennis captain at St Mirren?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    I think hearts have signed a few. Naismith, smith, berra to an extent. Even Halkett. Not that I’d take they players but in that mould.

We need someone who’s in refs face at every decision. Someone who’s always got something to say.

maybe bring back Liam craig he was always in the refs face 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Wasn't Kyle Magennis captain at St Mirren?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    He may have been? But that’s like Hanlon moving elsewhere and fans of that club presuming he was a leader because he was captain of the team he came from

Being a club captain doesn’t necessarily mean they’re leaders

Scott Brown in the summer

Yeah I sometimes think we are far too nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Yeah I sometimes think we are far too nice.
    Not sure if you’ve the Spurs till I die documentary on amazon prime but that was the first thing Mourinho wanted to address when he joined Tottenham. He thought they were far too nice and needed a nasty side to them. Actively told them to be c*nts

A bit off track but I think we face the same problem.

@hibs.net private member
    Phew- I thought this thread was about Gary Glitter for a minute

Aye I’d agree with this too. We don’t have enough players with personality. We lack some arrogance in the team imo.

We need players who’ll go out again st J etc and know they’re better.

I always find myself thinking back to Bartley’s interview on time for heroes talking about his experience in the tunnel before the 2-2 game. Hearts players were trying their best to irk them but there was a quiet confidence/arrogance from the hibs team

After the first half hour on Saturday you could see the players confidence drain and they looked as if they were ****ting themselves after
    So its got nothing to do with this mythical leader we are apparently missing? The leader you refer to earlier was classed as passed it, should be sent out on loan etc, and here we are blaming the manager (not necessarily you) for not picking him. You couldn't make up some of the utter nonsense that has been posted here since Saturday.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    I think Hanlon would be a better player without the burden of captaining the team. He needs to concentrate on his own game at the minute. It's worth pointing out though, that change could have the opposite effect though and make the dressing room worse, hence captain changes are usually made when a new manager comes in or during the summer months.

As for a replacement he may have only played 2 games but Jackson Irvine played with his head up whilst many others looked lost after losing 2 goals on Saturday. That kind of mentality is what I want in my captain. Again I'm not suggesting we change captains now but if after a few games he's able to maintain that mentality and play with a good degree of consistency then I wouldn't be against the idea, changing after the next break or again waiting until the summer.

Another thing I'd like to from my captain is maintaining dialogue with the ref throughout the game. Pointing out consistent fouling and unpunished challenges etc. Doesn't have to be shouting and finger waving. Just someone planting the seed of doubt and keeping on top of things perhaps helping decisions go in our favour.

Other potential captains are Newell, albeit he's inconsistent and I'm not sure if he'd be up to it. You need to have the players backing and I'm not sure he would. Macgennis has already been a captain at his previous club but there was less pressure and tbh I've yet to see what he brings to the table as a player never mind captain (Yes, I know... long term injury). David Gray and McGregor aren't going to play much with Hibs again at this point so there out. Stevenson is too similar to Hanlon but also is seeing reduced play time. Boyle is a little more feisty but he's been struggling with his level of performance for a bit now and again needs to concentrate on himself. Doidge would be a good shout but is starting as much these days and tbf is struggling to get on the score sheet. Can't say he never gives any less than 100% though most games. Anyway I'm rambling now. Food for thought.

He may have been? But that’s like Hanlon moving elsewhere and fans of that club presuming he was a leader because he was captain of the team he came from

Being a club captain doesn’t necessarily mean they’re leaders
    Hanlon needs to grow a beard. Its the only solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Hanlon needs to grow a beard. Its the only solution.
    Grow a beard and play with his socks rolled down. Instantly hard as ****

Grow a beard and play with his socks rolled down. Instantly hard as ****
    Maybe a neck tattoo.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Did hearts not get relegated when buying those types of players???

Agree that we badly need a leader. Still can't forgive our captain for claiming the semi final defeat against hearts was just another game.
    Last edited by adhibs; 25-01-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Leaders don't just shout stuff on the pitch, they're generally well respected within the dressing room. Although Gray was our captain, he wasn't exactly overly vocal on the pitch, McGregor did that.

It's about getting the right characters in the club but that also starts with the manager for all the problems that eventually happened with us, Lennon had that wee nasty streak that the players understood and took onto the pitch, Stubbs had players at the club who were also of that character to get stuck in and attempt to boss games, Fyvie, McGinn and Bartley.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Yeh.Lead them straight to the promised land.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Leaders don't just shout stuff on the pitch, they're generally well respected within the dressing room. Although Gray was our captain, he wasn't exactly overly vocal on the pitch, McGregor did that.

It's about getting the right characters in the club but that also starts with the manager for all the problems that eventually happened with us, Lennon had that wee nasty streak that the players understood and took onto the pitch, Stubbs had players at the club who were also of that character to get stuck in and attempt to boss games, Fyvie, McGinn and Bartley.

If we could afford him and, fend of the sheep, Graeme Shinnie ?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    As my post said players in that mould but with more ability. I’d actually say the Hearts players I mentioned are the better players in their team.

We need a ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Maybe a neck tattoo.
    With a skinhead

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    If we could afford him and, fend of the sheep, Graeme Shinnie ?
    I doubt we'd have any chance in getting him, but I'd agree that he's exactly the type of player we need; covers every blade of grass, never gives up, moans his face off and spurs other players on and is also a very decent player at SPL level.