hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s because the English league is pushed down their throats all over the world. I’m sure they could hold a conversation about Brighton as well but it doesn’t make them bigger.
    No, they couldn't. Thats the point. Arsenal and Chelsea are huge clubs. Constants in Europe, winning trophies, plenty titles, huge supports in a huge city.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Global brand based on money and exposure due to TV. Folk could’ve argued last year Bournemouth had a larger global brand than Aberdeen Hibs or Hearts but there’s not a chance they’re a bigger club. That league could take a pea and make it the size of an elephant, it’s all artificial.

The history and support base of the Old Firm dwarf’s the majority of the EPL.
    I think you’ve been too long believing the hype of the Scottish press . The Irish diaspora gives Celtic a global presence ..but outside of Scotland even Rangers (other than unionist/Protestant oriented groups) and the rest of Scotland are largely cause a ripple compared to the big teams in the EPL. You keep dismissing global presence and brand because of things like “money and TV”....but that’s what make things “bigger”. You get people flying in from all over the world to see City, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea etc ..in numbers Celtic and Rangers can only dream about . As I said previously Rangers were stunned how limited their global reach was when they starting using more sophisticated data and campaigns to engage with their community . It is minuscule compared to the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal..you can keep dismissing it, but unless you are defining the old firm being bigger with some unique characteristics..then in terms of global fans, brand reach, recognition etc etc they are likely not in the top 8-10 in the UK . Celtic are considerably globally bigger than Rangers too ..

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No, they couldn't. Thats the point. Arsenal and Chelsea are huge clubs. Constants in Europe, winning trophies, plenty titles, huge supports in a huge city.
    And without said money from Abramovic Chelsea would be nowhere near what they are today.

And without said money from Abramovic Chelsea would be nowhere near what they are today.
    Of course. But they are. And have been are successful as anyone in England over the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I think you’ve been too long believing the hype of the Scottish press . The Irish diaspora gives Celtic a global presence ..but outside of Scotland even Rangers (other than unionist/Protestant oriented groups) and the rest of Scotland are largely cause a ripple compared to the big teams in the EPL. You keep dismissing global presence and brand because of things like “money and TV”....but that’s what make things “bigger”. You get people flying in from all over the world to see City, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea etc ..in numbers Celtic and Rangers can only dream about . As I said previously Rangers were stunned how limited their global reach was when they starting using more sophisticated data and campaigns to engage with their community . It is minuscule compared to the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal..you can keep dismissing it, but unless you are defining the old firm being bigger with some unique characteristics..then in terms of global fans, brand reach, recognition etc etc they are likely not in the top 8-10 in the UK . Celtic are considerably globally bigger than Rangers too ..
    Artificially inflated due to the leagues they play in. There’s no doubt the EPL is the most watched league worldwide, therefore the clubs are being watched more. Take Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle, Spurs and City etc out of that and they make nowhere near the appeal. United and Liverpool have been huge for decades, Barcelona and Real Madrid likewise. Outwith the United Liverpool game and United City game it’s the third most watched game in Britain worldwide.

Arsenal and Chelsea are about the same size of clubs these days, certainly the biggest two in London and obviously smaller than Man Utd and Liverpool.

Not that it really matters.

Not the be all and end all, but Chelsea have 25 million Instagram followers compared to Celtics 500k.

Twitter - 15.9m compared to 700k.

In today’s world where social media is accessed by a high % of people some way or another, that is pretty telling.

Chelsea and Celtic aren’t even comparable on a global scale. Absolutely crazy to even suggest so

Artificially inflated due to the leagues they play in. There’s no doubt the EPL is the most watched league worldwide, therefore the clubs are being watched more. Take Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle, Spurs and City etc out of that and they make nowhere near the appeal. United and Liverpool have been huge for decades, Barcelona and Real Madrid likewise. Outwith the United Liverpool game and United City game it’s the third most watched game in Britain worldwide.
    That doesn't sound correct to me. Are you saying more people worldwide watch Celtic v Rangers than Man Utd v Arsenal for example?

@hibs.net private member

Frank lampard sacked by chelsea

Your argument seems to be that celtic and Rangers are bigger than most , if the EPL wasn’t as popular ..can you see how that doesn’t really work as an argument?

You are way underestimating the popularity of the EPL teams. They have built their brand now for decades and even the new money teams for 10-20 years .

The old firm are big fish in Scotland , reasonable in the UK and largely no different than any other regular European participant across the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Your argument seems to be that celtic and Rangers are bigger than most , if the EPL wasn’t as popular ..can you see how that doesn’t really work as an argument?

You are way underestimating the popularity of the EPL teams. They have built their brand now for decades and even the new money teams for 10-20 years .

The old firm are big fish in Scotland , reasonable in the UK and largely no different than any other regular European participant across the rest of the world.
    That’s your opinion, the stature of the OF derby says completely different about the rest of the world, hence how we manage to pocket ourself a half decent TV deal for the sake of 4 games per season. I’m talking about the history of the clubs, the fact they are huge draws worldwide while playing in Scotland without even 1/10th of the exposure they get down south.

Like I said in my original post, take the money away from the majority of those clubs and they’re a fraction of the size and majority of the world wouldn’t care a jot about them.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    That’s your opinion, the stature of the OF derby says completely different about the rest of the world, hence how we manage to pocket ourself a half decent TV deal for the sake of 4 games per season. I’m talking about the history of the clubs, the fact they are huge draws worldwide while playing in Scotland without even 1/10th of the exposure they get down south.

Like I said in my original post, take the money away from the majority of those clubs and they’re a fraction of the size and majority of the world wouldn’t care a jot about them.
    Surely the counter to that is take away the sectarianism both clubs are built on and they’re just another Porto, Benfica, Ajax etc

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Surely the counter to that is take away the sectarianism both clubs are built on and they’re just another Porto, Benfica, Ajax etc
    Of course you could, and I would. That’s never going to happen though, it has been there pretty much their whole existence while the Sky money has been there for 20 odd years. The Sky money could easily be pulled at any given time (just look at the current predicament at Barca).

@hibs.net private member

If you think someone in the (say) Netherlands cares about Celtic v Rangers. Then you are very Mistaken. Sure an aficionado will know it’s a game of heritage , but no more than galatasaray derbies and certainly nothing like a Boca etc

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    All 3 clubs mentioned there are bigger than both Celtic & Rangers too.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Tuchel announced by Chelski

SSN

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    All 3 clubs mentioned there are bigger than both Celtic & Rangers too.
    Rangers and Celtic are small fish these days. Gigantic fanbase but that means nothing now.

Quote Originally Posted by CMac1988 View Post
    Daft decision. Fair enough he spent a fair chunk and a couple of his big signing's haven't quite worked out yet, he's only 5 points off 4th in one of the closest run leagues in a while.
    I will bet that Lampard had next to no input into most of the big money signings.

It was even the same with Mourinho when Abramavich signed players including Shevchenko that Jose would not have gone for.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    That doesn't sound correct to me. Are you saying more people worldwide watch Celtic v Rangers than Man Utd v Arsenal for example?
    No its a typically delusional comment about the alleged importance of the old firm.

There are loads of bigger matches in England and throughout mainland Europe.