hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slating Murphy

For what it's worth I can forgive the misses on Saturday, to an extent at least although they were rank, but I just think the guy is not doing it for us. Thats when he's fit, and he's barely even that.

If there is ANY chance we can get out of this agreement to keep him we should be activating it and sending him back to Ibrox and putting the budget elsewhere.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is his correct position though, and how does that fit in with our other players?

He's been hot and cold. Excellent on his day, very poor on others, injured a fair bit.

I do think we'd see a lot more from some of our players if we could find a striker who could play up front on his own or find a pairing who could play in central midfield as a 2.

As it happens we've got to have Boyle at WB, Nisbet or Doidge playing out of position or not in the side, etc etc.

352 gets as close as we can to playing to most players' strengths but you've still got Boyle at WB and no place for Murphy. 451 you get Boyle and Murphy into decent positions but neither of our strikers look right playing that way.

Our squad is weird and I could see us having to shift a few good players who don't fit to bring in a couple who just fit better. The problem is, some of the players we might need to shift might be more recent arrivals.
    Left wing. It’s where he’s played for Motherwell, Sheffield United, Brighton & Sevco.

433 gets the best out of our players. Boyle plays on the right of the 3 which is also his best position.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He's not been excellent and he's played in his proper position of left of a front 3 , or left of an attacking midfield 3. It's where he played yesterday.
    He played behind a front 2 of Boyle and Nisbet on Saturday.

I’m not going to slate Murphy,he has been decent in flashes.some supporters were delighted we signed him.
    I felt personally horgan was a player who brought energy to the team whilst both players have their limitations,I was very disappointed we swapped horgan out,who obviously wanted to have a crack at the championship down south and fair play to him.but I did feel we would lose that wee bit flair bringing Murphy in.
    I just don’t feel Jamie is good enough for hibs.
    We have had players who get injured a lot ,when the going gets tough they are posted missing too much.I’m not saying that’s the players fault,but I do feel in some cases it’s a lack of desire to push on for the team.we can’t afford to be relying on guys like that.
    In Jamie’s case we have signed a player who is not good enough for hibs and injured to much to be a squad player at the club.
    Both party’s should move on.cancel the loan and get a replacement in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    Horgan is a better footballer.
    Miles better!👍🏻

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bad as they were, the misses happen

What would concern me is that he threw in the towel when we went 2 down, wanted to come off from a hamstring injury, just as we had made a sub, stayed on for 5-10 minutes so it couldn't be that bad and never tried a leg for the third goal.

Once your desire goes you are finished and that sub thing was pure selfishness, it was just at that time and if he was feeling it he should have said wait the now.

On his day a very good player, but there is a danger that he is the latest admission to the ER Retirement home frequent by such luminaries as Kuqi, Tudor -Jones, Clancy, Hart & Johanssen.

Prove me wrong Jamie

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Bad as they were, the misses happen

What would concern me is that he threw in the towel when we went 2 down, wanted to come off from a hamstring injury, just as we had made a sub, stayed on for 5-10 minutes so it couldn't be that bad and never tried a leg for the third goal.

Once your desire goes you are finished and that sub thing was pure selfishness, it was just at that time and if he was feeling it he should have said wait the now.

On his day a very good player, but there is a danger that he is the latest admission to the ER Retirement home frequent by such luminaries as Kuqi, Tudor -Jones, Clancy, Hart & Johanssen.

Prove me wrong Jamie
    Or the other way of looking at it played on when he should have been taken off. Probably means he will be out longer again.

I’ve no idea what his best position is. He’s not a left winger in a million year. No pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I’ve no idea what his best position is. He’s not a left winger in a million year. No pace.
    He definitely his a left winger, hence why his best games in his career have been there. Significantly more to playing out wide than running fast. He can beat guys as easily as boyle because he is a much better dribbler.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He definitely his a left winger, hence why his best games in his career have been there. Significantly more to playing out wide than running fast. He can beat guys as easily as boyle because he is a much better dribbler.
    He's far better than Boyle in general

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    He's far better than Boyle in general
    Generally yes, he play has been good. If he can find consistency and fitness, he'll be a great player for us. Its the Hibs.net usual. One bad, big match and he's garbage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Or the other way of looking at it played on when he should have been taken off. Probably means he will be out longer again.
    Entirely possible but my point on selfishness remains

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    My concern with Murphy is that it now looks like he doesn’t have the legs to go on the outside and hit the byeline, so defences can show him inside and crowd him out. It might just be he’s out of form of rusty, but a lot of games I’ve seen attacks breakdown with Murphy for those reasons. Think Doig is crucial for Murphy with his energy and overlaps, the flip side is Doig won’t get much defensive support from Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    My concern with Murphy is that it now looks like he doesn’t have the legs to go on the outside and hit the byeline, so defences can show him inside and crowd him out. It might just be he’s out of form of rusty, but a lot of games I’ve seen attacks breakdown with Murphy for those reasons. Think Doig is crucial for Murphy with his energy and overlaps, the flip side is Doig won’t get much defensive support from Murphy.

When Horgan was here he hit the byline, tracked backed but was blowing out his arse by 60 mins, after that he was like a man down, decent impact sub.
    Murphy has shown glimpses but looks slow and looks very one footed as he comes inside every time, I don't know if that's because he's lost pace and can't go past a man nowadays but he looks very predictable.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Ooft 2 whole chances. Mental we haven't already terminated his contract.

Way more to him being dung than just missing the two sitters though. Hope we do get out of the deal to sign him.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Still think he was a little unlucky with his two attempts. The first the keepers made himself very wide and got a toe to it and the second was lifted a fraction too high. Doesn’t merit the hounding out we are now seeing by many.
    He’s a footballer who tries to play the way Hibs fans enjoy, and nobody will be more angrier than himself at the scorned chances which would have made Saturday very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    Way more to him being dung than just missing the two sitters though. Hope we do get out of the deal to sign him.
    We wont so hopefully you start supporting him.

I'll watch him more closely next time he plays then. I think hes been at his best inside the pitch. A winger has to beat defenders and deliver chances. Ive not seen much of that yet from the left wing area. Also if Allan gets back to full fitness its unlikely we will play 442....so a struggle to get wingers into the game.
    Last edited by Brightside; 25-01-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    We wont so hopefully you start supporting him.
    Like you do with the likes of Mallan?

I'll watch him more closely next time he plays then. I think hes been at his best inside the pitch. A winger has to beat defenders and deliver chances. Ive not seen much of that yet from the left wing area. Also if Allan gets back to full fitness its unlikely we will play 442....so a struggle to get wingers into the game.
    433, 4231 etc all play wingers

Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    Like you do with the likes of Mallan?
    Yes. I fully support Mallan. I have never given him personal abuse the likes people have Murphy. I just do not rate him as a footballer.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    433, 4231 etc all play wingers

Yes. I fully support Mallan. I have never given him personal abuse the likes people have Murphy. I just do not rate him as a footballer.

It wasn't the impression i got but fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    Horgan is a better footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRobot View Post
    I’m not sure he’s good enough now for us. He’s clearly been a good player but he’s extremely slow and i think the team suffers with trying to fit him into it.

Maybe i’m wrong but i don’t think it was worth signing him.
    Once he is into his running he is not as slow as he looks. Not blistering speed but he covers the ground in a different way to Doig's fast cadence. The problem is his speed off the mark and it looks like he is wary of 100% acceleration in case his hammy explodes. Has his attributes but file under eggshell like Barker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    When Horgan was here he hit the byline, tracked backed but was blowing out his arse by 60 mins, after that he was like a man down, decent impact sub.
    Murphy has shown glimpses but looks slow and looks very one footed as he comes inside every time, I don't know if that's because he's lost pace and can't go past a man nowadays but he looks very predictable.
    Murphy's always mostly come inside off the left but he's been pretty effective at doing it. I remember him giving us a torrid time when at Well & I saw a fair bit of him at Brighton. I'm not sure he's slow, he has a languid style of running but I agree your overall thought that he's flattering to deceive at present.

Good player and rightly a starter in our team just now.

Poor finishing from him in the semi but that doesn’t change the above.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Murphy's always mostly come inside off the left but he's been pretty effective at doing it. I remember him giving us a torrid time when at Well & I saw a fair bit of him at Brighton. I'm not sure he's slow, he has a languid style of running but I agree your overall thought that he's flattering to deceive at present.
    That was at Motherwell and Brighton, he's here now and apart from a few glimpses he's not been great, age and injures catching up with him I suspect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnr17 View Post
    He can go back to Ibrox any time he likes. Both misses were unforgivable
    He’s with us for the length of the loan period plus the length of contract he gets after that. No point in wishing him away. Personally, I think he’s a decent squad player.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Entirely possible but my point on selfishness remains
    Nothing to do with selfish

Played all his career there. Deceptive runner rather than fast. Think he has been our best player in some of his earlier games excellent goal against Celtic and Dundee. Obviously struggling with persistent hamstring injury which as seen with Kyle M can happen on the back of an acl. Think it looks like he has been rushed back a bit at times.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Nothing to do with selfish
    So you don't think that knowing you were carrying an injury and seeing a sub was about to be made that he should have put his hand up and said "wait a minute here boss I am struggling, give the physio time to look at it and me 5 minutes to see if I can run it off"

That is the absolute epitome of selfishness, so focussed on himself that he didn't give a jot that the team were potentially wasting a sub.

I honestly don't think anything could be clearer.