hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right, I was being facetious.

I would love to win more trophies, but the fact we are getting in to these positions should not be used against us. Semi finals are not bad. Losing them is *****, but overall if you said semi finals and a third placed finish that would be regarded as a good season.
    You're right, I was being facetious.

I would love to win more trophies, but the fact we are getting in to these positions should not be used against us. Semi finals are not bad. Losing them is *****, but overall if you said semi finals and a third placed finish that would be regarded as a good season.
    That's being very selective. Run to the semi was a cake walk and the semi was one of the best chances we will have in our lifetimes to lift a trophy and we were pumped off St Johnstone. Plus we're hardly on track to make 3rd right now, at this rate we'll be lucky to hand onto 4th (with no Hearts in the league).

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    That's being very selective. Run to the semi was a cake walk and the semi was one of the best chances we will have in our lifetimes to lift a trophy and we were pumped off St Johnstone. Plus we're hardly on track to make 3rd right now, at this rate we'll be lucky to hand onto 4th (with no Hearts in the league).
    Selective how?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    They're the good times.....we rarely even made it to Hampden the 20yrs previous to that��
    Scary but so true. In my early Hibs supporting days (1980s) Hampden was somewhere other teams went.

Some more stats for you....

In 2016, we amassed our 10th major trophy, 141 years after the club was formed.

We now stand equal 5th in the number of major trophies won.... alongside Queens Park, who last won the Scottish Cup in 1893.

Aberdeen are in 3rd place with 19 and Hearts in 4th, with 16.

Celtic are in 2nd place, with 111 trophies.

Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs have ALL underachieved... going by populations of the city in which they're located and the potential support....but Hibs are easily the biggest underachievers of the three.

Isn't it great to be a Hi-Bee

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    I must say, tongue in cheek, that's how I felt on Saturday. If Hibs were consistently *****e, I'd know where I stood. But the showing of much potential and getting to the latter stages against smaller clubs we should be steamrollering, then getting kicked in the nuts time and time again, is painful

Here's our 21st Century record at Hampden

2000 Aberdeen L
    2001 Livingston W, Celtic L
    2002 Ayr Utd L
    2004 Rangers W Livingston L
    2005 Dundee Utd L
    2006 Hearts L
    2007 Kilmarnock W, Dunfermline D, Dunfermline L
    2012 Aberdeen W, Hearts L
    2013 Falkirk W, Celtic L
    2015 Falkirk L
    2016 Dundee Utd W, Sevco W
    2017 Aberdeen L
    2018 Celtic L
    2019 Hearts L
    2020 St Johnstone L

So that's 5/22. Or a 77% chance we wont win.

Awful stuff. After many of the above I'd much rather have been pumped out in the first round,

Bar Hearts and St Johnstone where I would have been if crowds were allowed I have been at everyone of these and more before and it is soul destroying travelling back from Hampden after yet another defeat that you wish you had been knocked out in the 1st round.
    Thought 2016 would have been a change for the club but the record since is woeful , how do you change who knows but the last 2 despite probably having better players the teams that wanted it more , more desire and up for the challenge unfortunately won .

Selective how?
    Saying this season a semi final and 3rd place would be considered a good season.

Yes if we had a normal run to a semi and a full strength league it would be, but you're being selective in what you look at. We have a depleted league with no Hearts and the easiest run to a Semi we could have hoped for. That's nothing to celebrate.

If we hadn't made the semi with that run in it would be shocking, and we're hardly on track for 3rd are we? Anything less than 4th this year given the league would be sacking material for our manager.

Saying this season a semi final and 3rd place would be considered a good season.

Yes if we had a normal run to a semi and a full strength league it would be, but you're being selective in what you look at. We have a depleted league with no Hearts and the easiest run to a Semi we could have hoped for. That's nothing to celebrate.

If we hadn't made the semi with that run in it would be shocking, and we're hardly on track for 3rd are we? Anything less than 4th this year given the league would be sacking material for our manager.
    Mines was a more general observation that finishing 3rd and getting to the semi finals of a cup would be a decent season, regardless of who you play.

It would be ****ing mental to sack JR after giving him the (IMO entirely justified) financial backing this summer and now in January. He'll have had 1 full season, in which we've had good and bad spells and 2 semi-finals in that time, all the while viewing football through the contorted lens of a global pandemic.

Mines was a more general observation that finishing 3rd and getting to the semi finals of a cup would be a decent season, regardless of who you play.

It would be ****ing mental to sack JR after giving him the (IMO entirely justified) financial backing this summer and now in January. He'll have had 1 full season, in which we've had good and bad spells and 2 semi-finals in that time, all the while viewing football through the contorted lens of a global pandemic.

I think that's a really good point. He has to be given a chance to manage Hibs in a half normal situation before he can really be judged by how good or bad a manager he is.

Some of the non-Hibs games, and results, this season have been quite frankly weird.

Left by mutual consent!

Reaching the last two semi finals shouldn't be seen as some sort of achievement.

For the record, I don't think we should sack him either. I think he will manage to keep us in 4th this season and he deserves to continue building a squad.

That being said, if we finish in 4th as expected and barring us doing something in the SC this year it will be about as bog standard a season as they come considering the relative strength of the league and the run we had to the semi. Nothing to hail as successful, but by the same token nothing worth sacking the manager for.

If he does manage to get us to 3rd then yes I'd say a pretty good season, but one which could and should have been much more given the hand we were dealt in the league cup draw. That being said, we're not on track for 3rd right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Reaching the last two semi finals shouldn't be seen as some sort of achievement.
    Just as a matter of interest, what would see as a successful season for Hibs as far and league placings and cups go?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I think that's a really good point. He has to be given a chance to manage Hibs in a half normal situation before he can really be judged by how good or bad a manager he is.

Some of the non-Hibs games, and results, this season have been quite frankly weird.
    Exactly. Anyone remember the time Aston Villa scored 7 at VILLA PARK?
    Last edited by Jones28; 25-01-2021 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Being a moron

Tbh I'm not wanting to engage mate because going by some of your other posts dotted around the forum you're a lost cause.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Exactly. Anyone remember the time Aston Villa scored 7 at Anfield?
    You might want to edit that fella.

For the record, I don't think we should sack him either. I think he will manage to keep us in 4th this season and he deserves to continue building a squad.

That being said, if we finish in 4th as expected and barring us doing something in the SC this year it will be about as bog standard a season as they come considering the relative strength of the league and the run we had to the semi. Nothing to hail as successful, but by the same token nothing worth sacking the manager for.

If he does manage to get us to 3rd then yes I'd say a pretty good season, but one which could and should have been much more given the hand we were dealt in the league cup draw. That being said, we're not on track for 3rd right now.
    Is a bog standard season in the grand scheme things such a bad thing though?

If you'd said to me this time last year that football (and almost every other activity that you enjoy partaking in) is going to turn ****ing weird over the next year; no supporters will be allowed to go to games; budgets will need to be curtailed and football will frequently teeter on the precipice of being shut down altogether, then I probably would have taken an above average league finish and 2 semi finals plus the possibility of another Scottish cup run.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but frankly I'm just happy that we are one of the clubs robust enough to survive this mess, I would take 8th and getting knocked out of the Scottish cup by Boness Utd if it means having a club here next season. FWIW I think we will finish minimum 4th and get a good run in the cup, the above example is extreme but you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    You might want to edit that fella.
    As requested

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    As requested
    It was at Villa Park mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    It was at Villa Park mate.
    Was it?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think you could make an argument that Hibs, Hearts and to a lesser extent Aberdeen have all under achieved over the years. Fans of all clubs could point to the ones that got away.

I think that's why semi final defeats to Ayr, St Johnstone or Falkirk and final defeats to Ross County (albeit they were the Premiership team at the time) and Livingston are so damaging and hurtful. Celtic and Rangers can almost afford to write the odd one off because the next trophy is never too far away. Rangers maybe less so after the last decade. Games like last night are the ones we really should be expecting to win. Hearts fans have their Airdrie, ICT, Motherwell and St Mirren defeats amongst others to reflect upon and Aberdeen have lost to St Johnstone, Dundee Utd and Motherwell in semi finals in recent years. Of course you could probably list 10 semi finals and final Celtic and Rangers have lost without thinking but when 3 years without a trophy is a disaster that is quickly forgotten. When you have trophy gaps of 73 to 91 to 07 to 16 it becomes a far bigger deal.
    A great post it is this in a nutshell, the argument over being the 'third best/biggest team in Scotland' is like baldies arguing over who owns the comb. we have all underachieved/blown it.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    You missed the Ross County game and one of the Celtic semis too. I've highlighted games which were at the time against a team below us in the league:
    2000 Aberdeen L
    2002 Ayr L
    2005 Dundee Utd L
    2006 Hearts L
    2013 Falkirk W, Celtic L
    2015 Falkirk L
    2016 Ross County L, Dundee Utd W, Rangers W
    2017 Aberdeen L
    2018 Celtic L
    2019 Celtic L
    2020 Hearts L, St Johnstone L

Of the nine ties we've had against teams below us in the league, we've won two. That's atrocious.
    I think Livingston finished above us that year and may have been living out with their means and we had quite a young team.

Reaching semi-finals is a great achievement. Obviously it's really disappointing to lose them when we had a chance to get through to the finals in both of them, but that shouldn't diminish the achievement.

I don't remember being in many semi finals during the later Turnbull, Ormond, Auld, Stanton, Blackley years - Hampden was a different country when I started going to Easter Road.

Keep the faith - I just hope that it won't be another 116 year wait.................

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    Reaching semi-finals is a great achievement. Obviously it's really disappointing to lose them when we had a chance to get through to the finals in both of them, but that shouldn't diminish the achievement.

I don't remember being in many semi finals during the later Turnbull, Ormond, Auld, Stanton, Blackley years - Hampden was a different country when I started going to Easter Road.

Keep the faith - I just hope that it won't be another 116 year wait.................
    I wouldn’t describe it as a great achievement unless you’ve knocked ‘bigger’ teams out to get there. I take your point re those managers who failed though.

PS it was ‘only’ 114 years. 😜

In fairly recent years Hibs have lost 3 times at Hampden to Hearts all of them humiliating defeats for one reason or another.

I have attend Hampden defeats to D Utd, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Livingston, Ross County, Ayr Utd and now seen a loss to St Johnstone.

Yes I have seen wins against Rangers and Aberdeen but also losses to them and Celtic. Many of those defeats woeful lie down performances without ever threatening to even score a goal.

No one will convince me regardless of personal over several years Hibs have under performed big time and continue to do so.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    I must say, tongue in cheek, that's how I felt on Saturday. If Hibs were consistently *****e, I'd know where I stood. But the showing of much potential and getting to the latter stages against smaller clubs we should be steamrollering, then getting kicked in the nuts time and time again, is painful

Here's our 21st Century record at Hampden

2000 Aberdeen L
    2002 Ayr Utd L
    2005 Dundee Utd L
    2006 Hearts L
    2013 Falkirk W, Celtic L
    2015 Falkirk L
    2016 Dundee Utd W, Sevco W
    2017 Aberdeen L
    2018 Celtic L
    2019 Hearts L
    2020 St Johnstone L

So that's 5/22. Or a 77% chance we wont win.

Awful stuff. After many of the above I'd much rather have been pumped out in the first round,
    Hibs have been in 9 Scottish Cup Finals in my lifetime( 3 in 1979) and I've been at 8 and seen then won once.
    Goals for 7 against 23!

So basically because all the other clubs have records as bad, or nearly as bad, as us that's our warm fuzzy place.

Sorry, but I attended my first final in 1979 and in that time we have been to a total of 11 cup finals including that one and have won a miserly 3 of them. The whole point is surely not finding stats or reasons to make us all feel better about that, but hoping if not demanding the club do better going forward, there are no stats or comparisons that will make me feel better about our poor record in competitions.

Forget about winning division 2 or the championship that's making up for failure, not a measure of success for a club like Hibs. In our 145 year history we have won 10 major trophies, or 1 every 14.5 years. Since my first game in 1975 we have won 3 or 1 every 15 years. We are one of the top 5 clubs in a system where after the top 6 clubs the rest fall away dramatically in fan base and resources.

So I don't care about other club's records, I look at where Hibs are placed in the firmament of Scottish football vis a vis resources and support and fail to see any defence of a record of 4 trophies in the near 61 years I've been on the planet and 3 of them the country's 3rd most important one.

For perspective: If Livingston beat St Johnston next month Ferranti Thistle will have won only one less major trophy than Hibs since my first game 45 years ago. Hibs underachieve massively and if we aren't angry about that we bloody well should be, especially when that underachievement is punctuated all too often by utter dross like Saturday.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    So basically because all the other clubs have records as bad, or nearly as bad, as us that's our warm fuzzy place.

Sorry, but I attended my first final in 1979 and in that time we have been to a total of 11 cup finals including that one and have won a miserly 3 of them. The whole point is surely not finding stats or reasons to make us all feel better about that, but hoping if not demanding the club do better going forward, there are no stats or comparisons that will make me feel better about our poor record in competitions.

Forget about winning division 2 or the championship that's making up for failure, not a measure of success for a club like Hibs. In our 145 year history we have won 10 major trophies, or 1 every 14.5 years. Since my first game in 1975 we have won 3 or 1 every 15 years. We are one of the top 5 clubs in a system where after the top 6 clubs the rest fall away dramatically in fan base and resources.

So I don't care about other club's records, I look at where Hibs are placed in the firmament of Scottish football vis a vis resources and support and fail to see any defence of a record of 4 trophies in the near 61 years I've been on the planet and 3 of them the country's 3rd most important one.

For perspective: If Livingston beat St Johnston next month Ferranti Thistle will have won only one less major trophy than Hibs since my first game 45 years ago. Hibs underachieve massively and if we aren't angry about that we bloody well should be, especially when that underachievement is punctuated all too often by utter dross like Saturday.
    No we shouldn’t be angry because other teams are bad as well you know...