hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bartley

Players are always much better when they leave. He was bang average in the majority of games for us, and certainly wasn’t a leader.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Bartley wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference in this Hibs side.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Players are always much better when they leave. He was bang average in the majority of games for us, and certainly wasn’t a leader.
    Each to their own fella but cant agree with that at all. He broke opposition attacks up better than anyone in the last 5 or 6 seasons, was the main reason for me we got the better of Hearts for a few seasons. And has been stated above miles better IMO than Gogic trying to do the same job now. Belting goal by Gogic last week though

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    We are not a hoofball team, so no, I don't think he would.
    Its past panto season.

Oh yes we are.

I think Bartley was part of a pool of players who just clicked and got us. Guys like him, Fontaine and McGinn with no real connection to us totally bought into the club. The likes of Cummings had a swagger and a chip on his shoulder about how Hearts treated him. They were complimented by guys like McGregor and Hanlon who are Hibs through and through and there was a pretty talented supporting cast with McGeouch, Ambrose et al.

It looked like a team that was fun to be a part of and when you see the interviews of the Time For Heroes documentary it was a team that trusted each other as teammates.

I'm not sure the current side really has a personality on display on or off the park. A lot of the fun things and camaraderie that linked fans and players from that era is missing at the moment (obviously the current situation explains part of that but it predates covid). I felt like I knew McGinn, McGeouch and Bartley; I'm not sure I can say the same about Newell and Hallberg (both of whom have been 2 of our better performers this years so that's not a cheap dig).

Bringing Bartley back would be a pretty terrible idea. However I think we could do with a couple of players in the mould of Bartley and Fontaine. Guys who click with the fans and guys who give the impression playing for Hibs is more than just a job for them.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Bartley was awful with us in his final 18 months. He’s had a new lease of life there but showed nothing in his final months at ER that he was worth keeping. Nice to see him doing well though.
    Yeah he was beginning to look past it and although it looks a bad decision now most agreed it was the right decision at the time. We definitely shouldn't of sold him and Milligan though as that left a massive gap in our midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I think Bartley was part of a pool of players who just clicked and got us. Guys like him, Fontaine and McGinn with no real connection to us totally bought into the club. The likes of Cummings had a swagger and a chip on his shoulder about how Hearts treated him. They were complimented by guys like McGregor and Hanlon who are Hibs through and through and there was a pretty talented supporting cast with McGeouch, Ambrose et al.

It looked like a team that was fun to be a part of and when you see the interviews of the Time For Heroes documentary it was a team that trusted each other as teammates.

I'm not sure the current side really has a personality on display on or off the park. A lot of the fun things and camaraderie that linked fans and players from that era is missing at the moment (obviously the current situation explains part of that but it predates covid). I felt like I knew McGinn, McGeouch and Bartley; I'm not sure I can say the same about Newell and Hallberg (both of whom have been 2 of our better performers this years so that's not a cheap dig).

Bringing Bartley back would be a pretty terrible idea. However I think we could do with a couple of players in the mould of Bartley and Fontaine. Guys who click with the fans and guys who give the impression playing for Hibs is more than just a job for them.
    Agree with a lot of this; something lacking in the current team from a personality perspective (not individuals but the team), and possibly some career ladder climbers in there who can switch off defeats as no big deal. Livingston have captured a team spirit and easy to see how Bartley fits into that. He looked his best when the whole team were up for it.

Jack Ross can become a really good manager if he can crack this. If it happens soon then we should get 4th and maybe take advantage if Aberdeen slip a bit. Cant remember if there is a Scottish Cup this season, but if so, it woiuld be a good time to get some togetherness in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Crazy we let him go and replaced him with mark milligan

A real leader.

Efe ambrose as well, would take in a heartbeat over any of CBs
    Well we didn’t, we released him and Milligan at the same time because heckingbottom wanted midfielders not “defensive midfielders” leaving us completely spineless

One minute we want rid of the ‘old guard’ the next we’re trying to reunite Cummings, Bartley, Efe (who ****ed off at the first chance), Brown, Stubbs. As well going the whole way and getting Fyvie, Keatings and Stokes tae.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    Yeah he was beginning to look past it and although it looks a bad decision now most agreed it was the right decision at the time. We definitely shouldn't of sold him and Milligan though as that left a massive gap in our midfield.
    Exactly. That was madness on Heck’s part - that neither of them were replaced. But Marv is yesterday’s man so far as Hibs is concerned. Hopefully he’ll return in some other capacity in the future.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    It isn’t as simple as a “no” answer though is it. You’ve asked me if I’m ever positive and I’ve told I am when there’s a reason to be.

If you’re not going to be happy with the answer don’t ask the question 👍🏼
    That's not how a rhetorical question works.

Efe was the one we really should have brought back, no matter what he wanted to do for training he is a big miss in that porous defence that we have. We should have gifted him a box of Cuban Cigars after every game.

Bartley wanted to leave. Sure we gave him every opportunity to stay. Could be wrong.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Bartley wanted to leave. Sure we gave him every opportunity to stay. Could be wrong.
    He wasnt getting enough game time and Hecky made it clear that wouldnt change. He wasnt getting any younger and wanted to be on the pitch, cant blame him for that. We can all argue whether he should have got more game time at Hibs but Hecky plus lack of game time is why Marv left.

I liked Marvin, but it was his time to go. But Efe, he was the one I wish who stayed.

First Team Breakthrough zero-seven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Exactly what we’re missing. Another negative from the Heckingbottom era
    We need a ball winner who reads the game and can turn defence into attack

Pat Stanton
    Mcginley
    Collins etc

we just don’t have or produce these types anymore

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Bartley is a better player than Gogic.

Bartley is a better leader than 95% of our squad.

Hibs should never have left the club - especially for Derbies.

Thread over.
    This. Used to infuriate me when Lennon left him out of derbies

@hibs.net private member
    Bartley’s time at Hibs has gone bringing him back would be a mistake. He talks very well and appears to be a future coach or manager so maybe one day he might return but certainly not as a player.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Bartley was effective in a midfield where he had quality around him (and who all complimented each other in certain games).

Would add little to our midfield as it currently stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Bartley was effective in a midfield where he had quality around him (and who all complimented each other in certain games).

Would add little to our midfield as it currently stands.
    We have lots of talented midfielders, it's a balance we are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Bartley wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference in this Hibs side.
    This . He is a good player and would fit into the squad but I though the point was for us to be getting better players in to improve the squad.
    A sideways step instead of a forward one.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Said it many times. Ambrose in particular was fantastic for us and both him and Bartley should still both be Hibs players

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Bartley was awful with us in his final 18 months. He’s had a new lease of life there but showed nothing in his final months at ER that he was worth keeping. Nice to see him doing well though.
    I wouldn’t say ‘awful’ by any means but agree we weren’t seeing the best of him which would probably have us believing that his best days were past because of his age.

I think the real problem though was that he wasn’t getting a consistent run of games and I always noticed with him that he needed 2/3 games to get himself in a groove.

Overall I can see why he was let go but it’s been shown to be 100 percent a mistake. He could definitely be doing a great job in this current team and pretty sure Jack Ross would have kept him and possibly Milligan too.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This . He is a good player and would fit into the squad but I though the point was for us to be getting better players in to improve the squad.
    A sideways step instead of a forward one.
    Gogic is a better spoiler than the Bartley we saw in his last season with us. Both as ***** as the other with their distribution, but that is not what they are selected for.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    This. Used to infuriate me when Lennon left him out of derbies
    I thought it was the other way round tbh.....rarely played him apart from derbies.....sure he even made him Capt at Tynecastle once?