hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is how it feels (St Johnstone 23 01 21)

Usually, when I write after a defeat my over riding emotion is one of disappointment. Tonight, the disappointment is there but is nothing as compared to the anger I am feeling. Mikey Stewart summed it up perfectly for me “Hibs had the chance, but they’ve blown it.” Bossing it for thirty minutes was all well and good but when you miss gilt edged chances to score you often pay the penalty and boy, did we pay that penalty, big style. Watching a Hibs side display little or no drive and even more distressingly little or no fight when it mattered, I’m not surprised that Jack Ross said he was angry in his post-match interview. The thing is though Jack, you’re as much to blame as the players if not more so.

Our tactics were baffling to me. Yes, they seemed to be working for the first thirty minutes or so, but once St. Johnstone figured us out, we failed to adjust and that is down to the manager. Defensively we were a horror show, midfield with the exception of Irvine was as poor as I’ve ever witnessed and up front, other than the first thirty minutes, we were disjointed and lacking in guile. Things were happening on the park that I could see needed adjustment, but none were forthcoming. In their summarising, Ally McCoist and the loathsome Steven Craigan stated the obvious in highlighting where Hibs had gone wrong. It seems to me that Jack Ross has a lot to answer for and I just wish he’d be angry at the players before games – show a bit of passion, man.

As to the game, the line up looked decent at least on paper. Rocky rightly resumed in goals and Cadden made the starting eleven. Almost from the off I found myself asking why Doidge was excluded given our main tactic seemed to be getting the ball wide and then delivered into the box with height on it. The Saints defenders just gobbled that up.

Without really creating anything of note, Hibs enjoyed the bulk of the early possession, but St Johnstone defended their goal well. Around the twenty minute mark, Paul Hanlon hooked a shot goalwards, but Clark palmed it away to the side. Moments later the ball broke to the unmarked Jamie Murphy whose low shot struck the legs of Clark and came back to him. With the goal gaping, Murphy tried to loop the ball over the recovering Clark but only succeeded in striking the bar. Both chances were gilt edged and there can be no defence of Murphy for missing them.

Five minutes later a Boyle cross picked out Jackson Irvine and his deft flick with the head had Clark worried but drifted the wrong side of the post. At the other end, Kane had a header easily saved by Marciano before Hibs put the pressure back on the Saints defence and a good cross from Hanlon saw Irvine steer an effort at goal, but the ball hit the outside of the post and flew wide.

St. Johnstone settled a bit now and started to look a bit of a threat. With ten minutes to go until the break the Perth men took the lead. A corner to the far post caught Porteous underneath the ball and Hanlon too slow to react as Jason Kerr leapt to power the ball past Marciano with a brilliant header. Hibs looked shell shocked as St. Johnstone took control of the remainder of the half.

Surely Hibs would come out after the break and start to put pressure on the Saints defence. Instead, four minutes in, a Conway free kick delivered into the Hibs area was once again missed by Porteous being under the flight of the ball and Hanlon being easily brushed aside as Rooney bulleted home a header to make it 2-0. Soon after, Doidge replaced the ineffective Cadden and Hibs switched to a 4-4-2, no doubt hoping their high ball into the box tactic might gain some reward, but the truth is, by this time, St Johnstone were more than comfortable, and Hibs just looked more and more disorganised.

As the hour mark approached, Gogic got free in the right of the eighteen yard line and as I prayed for another Kilmarnock type finish all I got was a weak effort that trickled harmlessly behind. Next, Murphy blasted one high and wide and Hibs in trying to push for a goal were leaving themselves horribly open at the back.

Over the years I’ve heard it said that opponents attacked the area occupied by Lewis Stevenson and today I witnessed an opponent who targeted the area occupied by Josh Doig. With little or no support, the laddie was exposed defensively on many an occasion and Shaun Rooney, who would go on to be named as man of the match gave the laddie a torrid time of it. Also prominent in that area was David Wotherspoon who played to great effect. Those two combined to split Hibs open in the left back area and Rooney’s low ball across the face of the goal was fired home by Craig Conway.

To be honest, the game was done and dusted by now and Hibs offered little in the remaining thirty odd minutes. The only bright spot for me in that time period was the welcome appearance of Scott Allan who replaced Murphy. Hibs huffed and puffed but got nowhere near worrying a dominant St. Johnstone and it was a relief to me when Nick Walsh blew the final whistle.

The players

Marciano – Rocky had no chance with the goals conceded to headers and if I’m being picky, I might suggest that the ball across the area for the third goal was inside the six yard box and the keeper might have cut it out before it reached Conway.

McGinn – Not one of Paul’s best displays and he lost his man for the third goal.

Porteous – I thought Ryan was at fault for the first and partially responsible for the loss of the second. His positional sense for high balls into our box, normally spot on, was appalling today.

Hanlon – I’ve spoken up for Paul when I felt some of the criticism was unfair, but I can’t defend him tonight. He was brushed off the ball for the second goal and his distribution throughout was horrendous, barring that one cross for Irvine’s header.

Cadden – Looked like he was towing a tractor most of the time and I can’t understand why Jack Ross felt he would be match fit enough to start a cup semi. Once or twice, he showed up well in a defensive sense but otherwise a non-descript performance.

Irvine – For me, Jackson was the one bright spot in an abject team performance. Unlucky with those two headers in the first half it astonished me how much energy was in his play given his long lay off before joining Hibs. On a day where we were awful, I think Irvine did enough to win my man of the match award.

Gogic – Alex seems to have one good game then one bad game. He had a good game last time out, so you know where I’m going with this.

Murphy – Nobody with his skill set should miss gilt edged chances like those presented to him today.

Doig – Poor Josh was targeted today, and he suffered due to lack of support from Murphy in particular. His defensive frailties were there for all to see I’m afraid.

Boyle – When is he going to show what we all know he is capable of? Never successfully took on a man today and bottled it a few times in fifty, fifty challenges.

Nisbet – As quiet as I’ve ever seen him, but I guess when you get no service, you’re unlikely to stand out much.

Doidge – Anonymous for forty minutes.

Magennis – Anonymous for thirty five minutes.

Allan – A joy to see him back and it was great to hear Mikey Stewart gasp at one of Scotty’s control and turn moves which took two opponents out of the game.

Jack Ross – Says he’s angry and I suppose he will be but as well as looking at his players he needs to look very closely at himself.

Referee – Nick Walsh did ok. A bit fussy at times but no major errors.

Next up, the Rangers come to town and if we play like we did today, I fear for the outcome.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    How it feels - sickening. Honestly felt sick when St Johnston scored the second. Can't believe how bad we were, even though we could have been three up before they scored. When we went a goal down it was all iver, we just never looked like recovering. Too many players as you mention above not at it or perhaps just plain old not good enough

Cant disagree. Thanks mate

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Surprised JB could be bothered writing a just back but well done.

If Jack Ross was angry then he could maybe get close to how I feel after forking out for 2 ST’s and HSL and Hibs strips and other merch.

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar
    Always like reading your analysis and view. I think you have summed up pretty well how I and many Hibees are feeling tonight. Disappointed and angry. A good opportunity squandered by the manager and players.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Any defeat in a Semi-final is hard to take. A thumping defeat in a Semi by a team on a fraction of our budget and 17 points behind us in the league is even tougher.

However, the manner of the defeat and the 2nd half capitulation by the players who were hiding and just rolled over I'm afraid is indefensible. The Manager clearly has a problem and he is nowhere near fixing it.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

The better team won no complaints

Ross must go

Thanks Jonnyboy.

Was difficult reading that. Must have been more difficult writing it.

I think you’ve got everything pretty much spot on. Two dreadful semi final performances in a row means JR has lost a lot of making up to do with support.

You must have been watching a different game from me as Gogic was very good first half and then was unjustifiably subbed. Only him & Irvine were pass marks today. Midfield fell apart when he went off.

Thanks for report as always . Agree about Irvine - looks like he`s going to be a good signing . I wasn`t optimistic before this match but didn`t expect us to lose so heavily . Think there`s a tendency to overrate our players ( will happen with all clubs ) and reality is that we may have a bigger budget than most teams in our league but we don`t have any players who stand out and really make a differencehence importance of good manager and tactics . . Boyle has only played 2 or 3 good games since Lennon left and is still with us because he hasn`t impressed other clubs with more money enough . Porteous is a good prospect but has yet to prove he`s better than defenders like those playing against us today let alone in stronger clubs . Only 2 examples from squad .

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Its hard to put into words and you've done your usual masterpiece Jonny. I actually feel lower tonight than I did when we lost to Hearts and thats saying something.Was convinced we'd win today. St Johnstone ffs with the greatest of respect.

Good reporting and fair assessment. Same rhetoric from Ross , took a huge gamble by playing players that aren’t match fit , personally I feel that the signings of Irvine and Cadden will turn out to be good signings but you could see today that Cadden should have been nowhere near starting.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its hard to put into words and you've done your usual masterpiece Jonny. I actually feel lower tonight than I did when we lost to Hearts and thats saying something.Was convinced we'd win today. St Johnstone ffs with the greatest of respect.
    I’m in the same boat. It’s not even anger this time it’s just a complete feeling of deflation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by coldingham hibs View Post
    You must have been watching a different game from me as Gogic was very good first half and then was unjustifiably subbed. Only him & Irvine were pass marks today. Midfield fell apart when he went off.
    Watched the same game, ch and have a different opinion on Gogic
    This is how it feels

First Team Regular
    Genuinally gutted about today's result. However, after watching the team being totally bossed by Ross County and then Livingston sadly not too surprised.

Fair and accurate report as ever.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    I do not enjoy knee jerk reactions but my thoughts on the players -

Marciano – Not to blame, would definitely keep him

McGinn – He continually gets caught out and was shocking for their third goal. We need better. I would get rid.

Porteous – Another really poor game and seems to be regressing. I would keep him but he has to start doing the simple things better, like win headers in his own box

Hanlon – Poor once again when it really matters. His time at Hibs is coming to an end. Compare our centre half pairing with the opposition today. We are as soft as babies poo. Time to go

Cadden – Ridiculous decision to play him

Irvine – played well in a powder puff midfield. Keep if we can

Gogic – Hopeless again, we can’t afford to have passengers in our midfield, not good enough. Get rid

Murphy – does very little and not worth a jersey, we can surely do better. Can we cancel his permanent transfer for next season?

Doig – hung out to dry by our managers pathetic tactical ineptitude

Boyle – Hopeless again, our manager consistently gets the worst out of him

Nisbet – No service, totally anonymous

Doidge - does nothing but give away fouls, absolutely hopeless

Magennis – another player played out of position by our manager

Allan – Delighted to see him back

Jack Ross – Clueless once again. Not good enough

I usually have a lot to say on this thread, but I really don't have the words to express my crushing disappointment. Murphy wants shooting for missing what was tantamount to an open goal for a guy actually paid to play football. Our defence of balls into the box was inept, our midfield was woeful and our forward players had little or no impact.

I'm trying to think of reasons I want Jack Ross to stick around but for the life of me I cant think of one after that debacle.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Ditto. I am usually pretty philosophical and, after the Hearts semi-final, was disappointed but not angry because we were a bit unlucky and it could have gone either way. Tonight, I am raging because it was an absolute horror show in every possible respect.

Thats how i and a lot of Hibbies will be feeling tonight and i dont blame them.

Ive watched Hibs beaten in many semi finals and finals but i can always say i would stand behind them no matter what.

This seasonhas been a difficult season for many reasons the virus has had us shut out of watching our team all season long.

Ive missed my football, my football friends and my chance to see my team in green and white.

I watched the game tonight with my son, after an afternoon with my 18month old grandson, who we have been trying to get to shout Hibees.

Such is my familiy's alliance to the Hibs brand.

After watching them command the game for the first half and knowing they could have been 3-0 up at half time. I was rather wary of the second half and how we would
    be caught out with the first goal and we were!

From then on the heads were down and we stopped playing our game. Gone was the passion of a Hibs team, no one was there to pick the ball up or push us on, no one!

Our defence used to be the best in the league so what has gone wrong with it? The key board managers on here wanted to blame Stevenson recently and he has had to sit aside and mentor young Doig, who has taken his chance and done very well. So he cant be blamed for this disaster of a game.

Our manager choose to play a new arrival who has had pretty little game time for a while which i even thought was a strange one. There was no plan B to resort to even up until the last whistle was blown.

yes im angry and disgusted that i have had to watch that game with such a bad Hibs team playing in it. yes i will get over it as i have done many times before. I cant shake the feeling of being despondent and deflated. i even had to apologise to my son for bringing him up as a Hibby.

i hope this virus lifts off us and we can get out and back to a wee bit normality and to watching the Hibs i know play some decent football!

Coaching Staff
    An accurate summary, possibly a bit harsh on Doig,who at least tried to get forward.

As disappointed as anybody with the result not to mention the alarm going at 4-15 am to watch a trouncing.

but I've been around Hibs for a long time, and perhaps that makes me a bit more experienced in dealing with these disappointments.

I know hindsight is great etc etc, but I always thought it was a risky strategy in naming so many underdone players in the squad.

Knowing Hibs, it would not surprise me in the least if we confound everybody by inflicting Rangers first defeat in midweek.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    To be honest you don’t need to be a tactical genius to set up a team to play Hibs

If you press us we will fold like a cheap suit

Guaranteed to be outfought in every duel with only Gogic & Stevenson exemptions there

Let Boyle have the ball its months since he did anything

Doidge has been truly terrible this year

Perhaps JR has been to loyall to his defence, with lewis being the exception. He needs to bring in more competition for the defence and drop the undroppables !!!. Also perhaps a change of captain may help, but who could gee this team up ??.
    B

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    I do not enjoy knee jerk reactions but my thoughts on the players -

Marciano – Not to blame, would definitely keep him

McGinn – He continually gets caught out and was shocking for their third goal. We need better. I would get rid.

Porteous – Another really poor game and seems to be regressing. I would keep him but he has to start doing the simple things better, like win headers in his own box

Hanlon – Poor once again when it really matters. His time at Hibs is coming to an end. Compare our centre half pairing with the opposition today. We are as soft as babies poo. Time to go

Cadden – Ridiculous decision to play him

Irvine – played well in a powder puff midfield. Keep if we can

Gogic – Hopeless again, we can’t afford to have passengers in our midfield, not good enough. Get rid

Murphy – does very little and not worth a jersey, we can surely do better. Can we cancel his permanent transfer for next season?

Doig – hung out to dry by our managers pathetic tactical ineptitude

Boyle – Hopeless again, our manager consistently gets the worst out of him

Nisbet – No service, totally anonymous

Doidge - does nothing but give away fouls, absolutely hopeless

Magennis – another player played out of position by our manager

Allan – Delighted to see him back

Jack Ross – Clueless once again. Not good enough
    Spot on agree with that summary.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    To be honest you don’t need to be a tactical genius to set up a team to play Hibs

If you press us we will fold like a cheap suit

Guaranteed to be outfought in every duel with only Gogic & Stevenson exemptions there

Let Boyle have the ball its months since he did anything

Doidge has been truly terrible this year
    Nullify Boyle and that's us lost near enough any attacking threat. The closest we have to that in an attacking sense is if Doig or McGinn get forward occasionally. There's pretty much nothing else, nothing through the middle whatsoever and nothing from set pieces. Only other threat is if Nisbet or Doidge get near one of the opportunistic punts up to them, which is now never. Hopeless.
    Last edited by Booked4Being-Ugly; 24-01-2021 at 07:25 AM.

Risky / mad team selection at a crucial time.

It spectacularly backfired.

Then even after dominating for 30 mins why did we cross it so often and not play Doidge ?! Irvine did well with 2 headers but I wasn’t expecting anyone else to score from a corner / cross.

When was the last time Boyle took set pieces ?
    Why bin Gray and Mallan from squad ?
    Why start Cadden ?
    Why play a new midfield ?
    Why bring on Allan - absolutely madness let alone at 3-0.
    Why ply Boyle up front again and let Conway dominate the right.
    Why keep Murphy on when he hurt his hamstring / couldn’t get close for the 3rd goal.

I'd probably disagree about Gogic but beyond that your assessment is pretty much spot on for me.

It's good to read a more measured piece that still conveys the hurt and anger we are all feeling. It's quite easy to go scattergun after a defeat like that and start demanding the baby goes with the the bathwater.

I usually calm down pretty quickly after a loss like that but if anything I'm more angry this morning. It was just a total capitulation, a complete lack of responsibility from the players on the park and topped off with an absolutely embarrassing rant from the manager in his post match interview.

A night I'm sure we'd all love to forget but that's not how football works sadly.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ehf View Post
    Ditto. I am usually pretty philosophical and, after the Hearts semi-final, was disappointed but not angry because we were a bit unlucky and it could have gone either way. Tonight, I am raging because it was an absolute horror show in every possible respect.
    Word for word my feeling. Obviously disappointing losing the Hearts semi but yesterday was a whole new level of awful. Scandalous performance

First Team Regular
    Agree with most of that, although I thought Doig at least showed a bit of passion and energy. He was just unfortunate to be up against Rooney, who was the best player on the pitch by a country mile and I'd never even heard of him before ...