hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You've no idea if that is true. In these times especially, anything is possible. It also happened in 2007, 2012 for us, and multiple other times recently in Scotland.
    History suggests it doesn’t happen very often.

It’ll obviously happen at some point. I don’t believe Jack Ross, in his remaining time at Hibs, will get an opportunity as good as this (playing lower league teams through to the semi final with both the Old Firn as well as Aberdeen out by the time you get that far).

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    A more accurate statement would probably have been Jack Ross is highly unlikely to get into the last 4 of a cup as Hibs manager without any of the 4 sides that spend more than us.

He won’t get an opportunity like that again before he inevitably leaves Hibs over the next couple of years, of that I’m fairly certain.
    Oh well, just have to do it the hard way. Hounding the manager isn't helping hibs win. We go again against rangers and hope for better.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    That’s a bit dramatic.

There’s 2 trophies every year and pretty much anything can happen.

To say that in the entire future of football there won’t be another set of semi finals without the Old Firm is just stupid.

We also knew playing a non Old Firm team was going to be difficult too.

Old Firm teams also lose cup games. We beat one of them 5 years ago. After Ross County and Falkirk games I wasn’t sitting thinking that team was going to be winning the game.

It is disappointing that we didn’t take the chances in the semi this year but we are building a team just now that will be in more of them. To say we are now done forever is just ridiculous.
    It wasn't just the old firm. There was no Aberdeen or Hearts either. Genuinely don't think it's dramatic to say I can't see that happening again for a very long time.

So gutted after last night that i am going to have a week off football to recover my mojo.What i will say that over the years watching Hibs in Derbies,Semis and Finals at Hampden is we find a way to lose.We have had decent players and teams over the years sometimes we are the better side but dont take our chances and get beat.Yet the bloody Jambos can beat us with fluky goals win semis and the odd final with poor sides.Thats what really bloody annoys me.Anywaya rest for all these Hibs is needed this week to get back my sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaleHibs View Post
    Now before I start my rant and probably getting attacked by all corners I would like to start by saying I’m not in any way trying to defend the manager, the players or last nights result. I’m trying to put a little bit of perspective and rational thought into where we are as a team, supporters and as a club.

Firstly I get that it’s easy to start a dozen threads wanting the manager sacked after a terrible result and performance, and to be fair there has been several of those terrible performances of late. We have sacked many managers in recent years with the exact same results, new guy comes in, pleases us for a while, then a string of poor results or in some cases a derby defeat and we want them hung. The fact is that constantly sacking and re-hiring is why we have never progressed as a club in 30+ years. We’re stuck in the same wheel we’ve been in for what feels like ever. It was only 5/6 weeks ago that some tabloids/press had our manager as favourites for the Celtic job. Majority our fans were saying beat it he’s ours and within a few games we want rid. I think we have brought in some terrific footballers to the club and I agree with most that the management may not be using these players tactically in the most progressive way but I also believe that the players we have need to step up and be counted for the manager.

The players: last nights game could have once again been put to bed within the first 25 minutes if the players had taken the chances that fell to them. 3 goals up in that period would have certainly changed the outcome. This has happened now on several occasions this season and I don’t think we should attack JR as much as we do because the players have had these games well within their grasp and let us fans and the management down. You can lead a horse to water is an old saying. JR has put out strong teams that should in all honesty play some of the dross in our league of the park. These players have turned many a clear win into a defeat. I don’t know why time after time our players do this, regardless of the manager. It’s been the hibs way for years. Another sacking and re-hiring will not change this, it never has. All it does is keep the broken wheel spinning.

Where do we go now, I don’t really know, but I’m not ready to throw the towel in yet with or manager or the players even though it can be more than frustrating at times. Our players are better than what they are giving and they need to step up and be counted and show their manager and their fans a bit more passion and a want to be at the club. Sacking managers is costly for the club as new managers come in at a cost and get rid of players and bring in new ones at a cost. It’s not sustainable at the moment.

I don’t want or think JR should be sacked at this time

GGTTH
    Despite the massive disappointment of last night, I agree.

The manager put out a team and system that gave us the opportunity to win the game. And the players never took it. How much can the manager legislate for missing an absolute sitter, hitting the woodwork twice and losing your man at a set piece, the only time the opposition were anywhere near our goal.

What I will say is that at 0-2 the lack of composure from then until the end of the game was astonishing, I would have expected the manager to recognise that straight away and get that message across immediately - instead we never had our foot on the ball the rest of the game.

I feel a bit sorry for JR. He is in danger of being known as the nearly man when it comes towards the winning line. But a manager can only do so much.
    Last edited by Bobby's Cinema; 24-01-2021 at 11:39 AM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We won’t be in the last four of a cup competition minus both the big two again. We won’t get as good an opportunity to win a trophy.
    We lost to Falkirk in the Scottish Cup semi final, if we’d won that we would’ve played St Johnstone in the final. Everyone said we wouldn’t get a better chance to win it, we won it the following year. We will win more trophies regardless of who else is still in the competition.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    We lost to Falkirk in the Scottish Cup semi final, if we’d won that we would’ve played St Johnstone in the final. Everyone said we wouldn’t get a better chance to win it, we won it the following year. We will win more trophies regardless of who else is still in the competition.
    It was Inverness. But yes, you are correct. Folk pissing their pants saying we'll never get another chance are well off the mark. Who even gives a ****. Its always worth the bad times when we do win something, lets just get on with it. Yesterday was abysmal. ****ing horrendous. I really do not think just punting Ross now is solving anything, though. Just gives the new manager an angry, demanding fan base to handle and no time to implement his own ideas. Ross needs time to build. We have already progressed a lot under his management.

It was Inverness. But yes, you are correct. Folk pissing their pants saying we'll never get another chance are well off the mark. Who even gives a ****. Its always worth the bad times when we do win something, lets just get on with it. Yesterday was abysmal. ****ing horrendous. I really do not think just punting Ross now is solving anything, though. Just gives the new manager an angry, demanding fan base to handle and no time to implement his own ideas. Ross needs time to build. We have already progressed a lot under his management.
    I agree, sacking the manager when we’re challenging for 3rd in the league just isn’t going to happen, no matter how loud and angry some people get.

United we stand here....

Who has said we’ll never get another chance?

We were a Championship side at that point. Inverness finished third in the Premiership and knocked Celtic out in the semi final.

We’ve had as easy a route to the semi final as you could ask for this time and were the top ranked team with the best squad left in the competition.

We will undoubtedly win something again in the future. I’ll be shocked if we have such a favourable route to doing so any time soon though.

I agree, sacking the manager when we’re challenging for 3rd in the league just isn’t going to happen, no matter how loud and angry some people get.
    We're fighting to hold fourth imo. I don't see us taking anything from Rangers or Aberdeen. Dundee Utd seem to draw every game so I'd take a point. It will be interesting to see the state of play come the rematch with Ross County on February the 13th.

I admit I was enthused with our signing of Cadden and Irvine and - on the back of the Killie win - optimistic for the semi final. For all the investment though there just seems to be a fragility right through our team and I don't know if Jack Ross is the man to fix it.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Great post.

We saw where our quick managerial turn around got us in 2014 and we should use that as a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    We're fighting to hold fourth imo. I don't see us taking anything from Rangers or Aberdeen. Dundee Utd seem to draw every game so I'd take a point. It will be interesting to see the state of play come the rematch with Ross County on February the 13th.

I admit I was enthused with our signing of Cadden and Irvine and - on the back of the Killie win - optimistic for the semi final. For all the investment though there just seems to be a fragility right through our team and I don't know if Jack Ross is the man to fix it.
    We have a strong squad that should be good enough for at least 4th. Obviously everyone is gutted about yesterday, but sacking the manager now wouldn’t achieve anything. His overall record is very good, but his teams need grow a set and put down markers in the big games, starting on Wednesday would help.

United we stand here....

I totally agree.

I honestly place 90% of the blame on the players last night. It's them who bottled it, yet again, when the manager set them up well and got the tactics right in the first half.

It's the players who couldnt convert their endless chances and then conceded from St Johnstones first corner of the game. It's the players who absolutely chucked it 5 mins into the 2nd half. Honestly, what can Jack Ross do about that?

I agree that his changes following the 2nd goal didn't work, but yet again it's the players who decided that the best option to get back in the game was to pass to Hanlon and let him fall back into his usual tactic of shelling it 60 yards down the park. Ross has more of a responsibility for the 2nd half but still the players are a large part of it and gave him no option but to try something totally different, they were hardly showing that they could do it without the changes were they?

Sacking Ross just starts the cycle all over again. Loads of great managerial matches begin under shaky circumstances, Sir Alex being a prime example. We need to give the manager time as he has hands down improved us, next improvement to make is give the players some ****ing bottle.
    Last edited by Hibee Mac; 24-01-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We won’t be in the last four of a cup competition minus both the big two again. We won’t get as good an opportunity to win a trophy.
    I agree. A semi final line up line that up like that is very rare.

I’ve seen Hibs teams that were better than the present outfit but unfortunately seen those that were a lot worse, there’s no justification for getting rid of Jack Ross, with hindsight his team selection was debatable.

Stick with Ross.....for now. He needs to stop giving away the midfield though. Yesterday was better in first half as Irvine and Gogic grafted hard to win back the ball but the switch to only two in there was a mistake he keeps repeating. That need to stop. Midfield is a battle and so far this season we are not battling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now before I start my rant and probably getting attacked by all corners I would like to start by saying I’m not in any way trying to defend the manager, the players or last nights result. I’m trying to put a little bit of perspective and rational thought into where we are as a team, supporters and as a club.

Firstly I get that it’s easy to start a dozen threads wanting the manager sacked after a terrible result and performance, and to be fair there has been several of those terrible performances of late. We have sacked many managers in recent years with the exact same results, new guy comes in, pleases us for a while, then a string of poor results or in some cases a derby defeat and we want them hung. The fact is that constantly sacking and re-hiring is why we have never progressed as a club in 30+ years. We’re stuck in the same wheel we’ve been in for what feels like ever. It was only 5/6 weeks ago that some tabloids/press had our manager as favourites for the Celtic job. Majority our fans were saying beat it he’s ours and within a few games we want rid. I think we have brought in some terrific footballers to the club and I agree with most that the management may not be using these players tactically in the most progressive way but I also believe that the players we have need to step up and be counted for the manager.

The players: last nights game could have once again been put to bed within the first 25 minutes if the players had taken the chances that fell to them. 3 goals up in that period would have certainly changed the outcome. This has happened now on several occasions this season and I don’t think we should attack JR as much as we do because the players have had these games well within their grasp and let us fans and the management down. You can lead a horse to water is an old saying. JR has put out strong teams that should in all honesty play some of the dross in our league of the park. These players have turned many a clear win into a defeat. I don’t know why time after time our players do this, regardless of the manager. It’s been the hibs way for years. Another sacking and re-hiring will not change this, it never has. All it does is keep the broken wheel spinning.

Where do we go now, I don’t really know, but I’m not ready to throw the towel in yet with or manager or the players even though it can be more than frustrating at times. Our players are better than what they are giving and they need to step up and be counted and show their manager and their fans a bit more passion and a want to be at the club. Sacking managers is costly for the club as new managers come in at a cost and get rid of players and bring in new ones at a cost. It’s not sustainable at the moment.

GGTTH
    Agree with your post. Last night I had a think about the last manager we had that the fans didn’t call for them to be sacked and was struggling with this. Mowbray maybe? Even Stubbs had threads calling for him to go after playoff defeats.

It’s been the same predictable cycle for years now:

Hire manager and first few games look steady- fans happy
    Run of poor results - fans call for manager to go
    Manager eventually leaves/ is sacked

Repeat.

I’m still furious after last nights match. I hate seeing a Hibs team with no fight, especially semi finals/ chances for trophies. On paper I think we have a very good team but something is not clicking. That’s something the management at Hibs should/ must be looking into urgently.

This repeated manger cycle has got us nowhere for a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah_hfc View Post
    Agree with your post. Last night I had a think about the last manager we had that the fans didn’t call for them to be sacked and was struggling with this. Mowbray maybe? Even Stubbs had threads calling for him to go after playoff defeats.

Repeat.

I’m still furious after last nights match. I hate seeing a Hibs team with no fight, especially semi finals/ chances for trophies. On paper I think we have a very good team but something is not clicking. That’s something the management at Hibs should/ must be looking into urgently.

Butcher out Stubbs in got us the Scottish cup.
    Stubbs out Lennon in got us promoted and into Europe. Lennon out Hecky in got us nowhere - Lennon worked his ticket on that one. Hecky out Jack Ross in improved on where we were but can he take us further?

In general we get some positivity from the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah_hfc View Post

Repeat.

That's a good point.

Fine lines, the manager is Kevin Nisbet slotting a penalty and Jamie Murphy scoring from 6 yards away from being hailed and us struggling to hold on to him. A lot of what has went wrong in these games the manager can't really legislate for. We were in the position to win them and the players never seized it. Point is we are getting in these positions and is that not the managers job before the players HAVE to take over?

I've heard quite a few people say we don't want to turn into Aberdeen. But that's exactly where I'd like to be, consistently qualifying for europe and getting into positions like last night (albeit lets start converting them).

We've shown signs of getting there. The manager certainly deserves more time IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Butcher out Stubbs in got us the Scottish cup.
    Stubbs out Lennon in got us promoted and into Europe. Lennon out Hecky in got us nowhere - Lennon worked his ticket on that one. Hecky out Jack Ross in improved on where we were but can he take us further?

In general we get some positivity from the cycle.
    How much higher can we go from 4th in the league and consistently reaching every single semi final stage?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby's Cinema View Post
    How much higher can we go from 4th in the league and consistently reaching every single semi final stage?
    Third in the league and finals?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

GGTTH
    Good post, and this is where I am just now. I think the manager deserves to keep his job at present and the chance to address the problems we have. IMHO, it's too soon to consider replacing him.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby's Cinema View Post
    Not getting beat by teams we should be beating twice in the space of a couple of months when we get to said semi finals?

Not getting beat by teams we should be beating twice in the space of a couple of months when we get to said semi finals?
    As I say, at some point the players on the park need to take over and take the chance.
    Everything was in place from the managers/ transfer policy on both occasions on the opportunity was there for them to do so.

There's only so far a manager can effect things. Not much he can do from the sideline when penalties and gilt edge chances from 6 yards are missed.

I'm not saying he's not culpable to a degree. But certainly deserves more time IMO.

So you agree we shouldn’t be beating Rangers and Celtic then and should stop using that as a stick to beat JR with?

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    So you agree we shouldn’t be beating Rangers and Celtic then and should stop using that as a stick to beat JR with?
    We shouldn’t be beating them often, but we should beat them sometimes. Something JR hasn’t managed.

The flip side of that would be accepting we should never beat Celtic and Rangers but we should never be beaten by anyone else in this league outside of them and Aberdeen. Nobody has claimed that’s the case. Of course teams in this league should beat us, but we should beat them a lot more often than they beat us.

When you go into the big games under a manager expecting to not win them/not being surprised in the slightest when you get beat - like last night and the Hearts semi final - then something is seriously wrong with that manager.

We shouldn’t be beating them often, but we should beat them sometimes. Something JR hasn’t managed.

The flip side of that would be accepting we should never beat Celtic and Rangers but we should never be beaten by anyone else in this league outside of them and Aberdeen. Nobody has claimed that’s the case. Of course teams in this league should beat us, but we should beat them a lot more often than they beat us.

When you go into the big games under a manager expecting to not win them/not being surprised in the slightest when you get beat - like last night and the Hearts semi final - then something is seriously wrong with that manager.
    So you are saying we don’t beat ‘the rest’ the majority of the time? Now I’ve not looked at stats per club, but looking at our league position (and the fact we haven’t beaten Rangers or Celtic) I’d expect us to have a very good record against the rest. You’ll maybe prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    So you are saying we don’t beat ‘the rest’ the majority of the time? Now I’ve not looked at stats per club, but looking at our league position (and the fact we haven’t beaten Rangers or Celtic) I’d expect us to have a very good record against the rest. You’ll maybe prove me wrong.
    A lot more than they beat us is a lot more than just a majority of the time.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Alex Millers brand of football was far more exciting than what we are watching now!