hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: No Surprise

No Surprise

Folk have been crying out for players in almost every position during this transfer window, the manner of the performance yesterday was surprising the result wasn’t. For me the failings have been as follows:

The combinations on the left side of the pitch have been hopeless and affected the balance, right sided players playing on the left and a huge and unnecessary responsibility being heaped on a young player such as Doig as a consequence.

Expecting Porteous to be the mainstay of the defence without any guidance.

At times playing Nisbet as the lone striker, he is as this point in his career not a back to goal player like Mixu or Holt and on other occasions been partnered by an ineffective Doidge.

The midfield is saturated with players only one of ( Mallan ) who is capable of scoring and deemed not good enough and another through no fault of his own has been unable to play for health reasons.

Again an over reliance on Boyle to keep digging us out of a hole, the opposition are now easily negating his potential threat by doubling up on him. We were unable to do this with Conway and Rooney who could do what they wanted on the other side of the pitch as other teams have done this season.

We have had players on the bench who look like they are either taking up space or will not effect the game if they do get the chance to come on.

We cannot seem to fathom that we need to match the tactical patience of the opposition, their intensity and their passion to get something out of the game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Surprised ?

I have been a Hibbie for over 60 years and sadly I was only surprised by the margin of the defeat. There have been some great victories in that time i but when it has come to the crunch in semi finals and finals I have been left gutted too often. At least they have managed a Scottish Cup win in my lifetime which was starting to look unlikely but they have got very few years left to repeat that feat.

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been a Hibbie for over 60 years and sadly I was only surprised by the margin of the defeat. There have been some great victories in that time i but when it has come to the crunch in semi finals and finals I have been left gutted too often. At least they have managed a Scottish Cup win in my lifetime which was starting to look unlikely but they have got very few years left to repeat that feat.
    Unfortunately I've been watching them for 5 decades and I'm never really surprised at the outcome, though severley disappointed but it doesn't take long before I'm looking forward to the next game, the Hibsvaddiction!

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    Unfortunately I've been watching them for 5 decades and I'm never really surprised at the outcome, though severley disappointed but it doesn't take long before I'm looking forward to the next game, the Hibsvaddiction!
    Same.

New players can't be the answer, clubs will be lucky to survive the next 12 months and that has to be the priority (which we will do), staying in the league is the second (which we will do obviously). Once we get fans back and income to where it should be we can then rip it all apart.

My prediction was for us to lose 2-1.

In hindsight, that was a tad optimistic.

Coaching Staff
    Me too, doesn't get any easier as time goes on.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    Same.
    Same. Hibs have always been Jekyll and Hide. Even the Tornadoe. On to Wednesday.

I said I couldn't call either semi final. Thought they could both go either way. Most frustrating think for me was I actually thought we'd turned up this time the way we went at them

Folk have been crying out for players in almost every position during this transfer window, the manner of the performance yesterday was surprising the result wasn’t. For me the failings have been as follows:

The combinations on the left side of the pitch have been hopeless and affected the balance, right sided players playing on the left and a huge and unnecessary responsibility being heaped on a young player such as Doig as a consequence.

Expecting Porteous to be the mainstay of the defence without any guidance.

At times playing Nisbet as the lone striker, he is as this point in his career not a back to goal player like Mixu or Holt and on other occasions been partnered by an ineffective Doidge.

The midfield is saturated with players only one of ( Mallan ) who is capable of scoring and deemed not good enough and another through no fault of his own has been unable to play for health reasons.

Again an over reliance on Boyle to keep digging us out of a hole, the opposition are now easily negating his potential threat by doubling up on him. We were unable to do this with Conway and Rooney who could do what they wanted on the other side of the pitch as other teams have done this season.

We have had players on the bench who look like they are either taking up space or will not effect the game if they do get the chance to come on.

We cannot seem to fathom that we need to match the tactical patience of the opposition, their intensity and their passion to get something out of the game.
    The left hand side for me hasn’t been a big concern for me. Doig has been playing well and when fit so has Murphy, both of them played yesterday on the left during a 352 and a 442 and for me wasn’t the reason for losing the game. Yes the 3rd goal came down that side and was as a result of Murphy not tracking back but the game was done by then. Can’t put Saturday down to players playing on the left when they should be on the right.

Porteous has no excuses other than to blame himself Imo. He has McGinn and Hanlon next to him who have lots of experience and both played well this season. Porteous has been good too but shows he’s still prone to individual mistakes mainly from lack of concentration or being rash.

Nisbet I agree needs a strike partner and whilst he had one in Boyle that forces him to play the number 9 role as Boyle will run in behind. He needs a striker next to him like Doidge, which he got in the second half but still it made no difference.

The midfield is fine Imo and the only thing we were really lacking was energy and a box to box player which we now have in Irvine who I think will chip in with goals too. I do expect guys like Newell to score more goals though especially with some of the chances he’s had this season. Magennis and Allan will chip in with a fair few goals too.

Boyle for me has been poor all season. It’s not the first time teams have doubled up on him but he seems to lack the creativity, skill and pace to get past them this season.

The bench has been weak this season on many occasions but again this is something that has been addressed this January and we now look to have a strong team.

I think Saturday shows that we can have everything in place, the better players etc etc but it comes down to players taking responsibility and having a bit of grit and determination in them to get the job done.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Pretty much agree with everything Unseen Work says above.

Would say, though, that there is more than one way to play the lone striker role - it doesn’t all have to be back-to-goal, combative stuff. Nisbet needs the service though, and that means quality and determination from his team mates to create openings.

If teams are doubling up on Boyle, they are leaving space elsewhere. Why aren’t we cute enough to recognise that and exploit the space?

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    The left hand side for me hasn’t been a big concern for me. Doig has been playing well and when fit so has Murphy, both of them played yesterday on the left during a 352 and a 442 and for me wasn’t the reason for losing the game. Yes the 3rd goal came down that side and was as a result of Murphy not tracking back but the game was done by then. Can’t put Saturday down to players playing on the left when they should be on the right.

Porteous has no excuses other than to blame himself Imo. He has McGinn and Hanlon next to him who have lots of experience and both played well this season. Porteous has been good too but shows he’s still prone to individual mistakes mainly from lack of concentration or being rash.

Nisbet I agree needs a strike partner and whilst he had one in Boyle that forces him to play the number 9 role as Boyle will run in behind. He needs a striker next to him like Doidge, which he got in the second half but still it made no difference.

The midfield is fine Imo and the only thing we were really lacking was energy and a box to box player which we now have in Irvine who I think will chip in with goals too. I do expect guys like Newell to score more goals though especially with some of the chances he’s had this season. Magennis and Allan will chip in with a fair few goals too.

Boyle for me has been poor all season. It’s not the first time teams have doubled up on him but he seems to lack the creativity, skill and pace to get past them this season.

The bench has been weak this season on many occasions but again this is something that has been addressed this January and we now look to have a strong team.

I think Saturday shows that we can have everything in place, the better players etc etc but it comes down to players taking responsibility and having a bit of grit and determination in them to get the job done.
    I was looking at the overall picture, Doig hasn't always played well and has been left out as a consequence. Murphy rarely plays and a right sided player is usually shoe horned into fill the gap. Teams playing against us are comfortable in the knowledge that the right hand side of the team gives them more problems.
    For me Nisbet and Doidge do not compliment each other and Nisbet seems to have a better understanding with Gullan if Hibs want to play with a front 2.

If moving Mallan on means there's scope for another player I'd like to see us to for a striker and/or a CH

No REAL competition to keep PH/RP on their toes and we need another option (that isn't boyle) through the middle

Although i think Jamie Murphy used to play centrally, I wonder if he could pair up with Nisbet?

If he could, I'd get two CH in and go 352

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Pretty much agree with everything Unseen Work says above.

Would say, though, that there is more than one way to play the lone striker role - it doesn’t all have to be back-to-goal, combative stuff. Nisbet needs the service though, and that means quality and determination from his team mates to create openings.

If teams are doubling up on Boyle, they are leaving space elsewhere. Why aren’t we cute enough to recognise that and exploit the space?

i've been blaming the players more than our manager but this is one Question i think only the manager can explain

The manager needs to address the left side of the pitch, I would rather temporarily have Doig in front of Stevenson instead playing players that are right footed.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    If moving Mallan on means there's scope for another player I'd like to see us to for a striker and/or a CH

No REAL competition to keep PH/RP on their toes and we need another option (that isn't boyle) through the middle

Although i think Jamie Murphy used to play centrally, I wonder if he could pair up with Nisbet?

If he could, I'd get two CH in and go 352
    IMHO, our priorities have to be to get competition for places at either end of the pitch - striker and centre half positions. We just don't have good enough options at the moment to change things.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net