hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

Players or manager

Is it the players or the manager , players have to take responsibility when they step on the pitch and today nobody took responsibilty , we need a leader on the park who can drive the team on and we simply don’t have one , we need a talker who will shout , talk get the team wound up to do what’s needed , Hanlon isn’t captain material far too quiet and powderpuff

2. Log in to remove the advert

Everyone obviously. All could've done something better.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    No player wants to play *****.

A poor performance is a result of not being properly motivated or organised for whatever reason.

There’s obviously exceptions to that rule but generally speaking it’s why the players don’t get sacked but managers do.

Unfortunately we don’t have that player on the park who, when the going gets tough, will fire in a big tackle to get the rest going, or will stick their chest out and get on the ball and make something happen. Because of that when a game unexpectedly goes against us, we can’t turn it on its head. Going by the first half we were set up fine, created plenty gilt edged chances.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Both but ultimately responsibility is with the manager. He's either getting it wrong tactically and with team selections etc or he's not getting his message across. Either way the fault lies at his doorstep.

Be a long time, if ever, beforw players or manager will get a better chance to win a trophy than that

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Both but ultimately responsibility is with the manager. He's either getting it wrong tactically and with team selections etc or he's not getting his message across. Either way the fault lies at his doorstep.
    And he seems to duck all responsibility for his tactics. Tore the arse out of Kenny macintyre on sportsound for daring to aak whether part of the blame lay with him

Plenty of managers would beat St Johnstone with the team that we have

Coaching Staff
    Players take full responsibility for the 90 minutes tonight, the manager and staff picked a side that was more than capable of winning against that opponent.

Minute the first went in there was no player on the pitch who grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, rallied the team, and got there heads back in the game. It's happened a few times this season already and happened in previous seasons. You do the basics right first and foremost, the rest comes naturally if you succeed at that. That means marking, closing down, harrying, winning possession back. We did none of that after Saintees scored. We went into rabbit in headlights mode.

Concentration levels are the worst I've seen in seasons. For me there are too many looking over their shoulder at their teammates expecting them to do something and shirking responsibility.

I don't blame Jack Ross tonight, I fully blame the players - they yet again **** the bed some of them have done that way too often and sentimentality needs replaced with ruthlessness and they need moved on.

Spine of the team needs leaders. That's what Jack Ross needs to remedy in the next two windows for me.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Players take full responsibility for the 90 minutes tonight, the manager and staff picked a side that was more than capable of winning against that opponent.

Minute the first went in there was no player on the pitch who grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, rallied the team, and got there heads back in the game. It's happened a few times this season already and happened in previous seasons. You do the basics right first and foremost, the rest comes naturally if you succeed at that. That means marking, closing down, harrying, winning possession back. We did none of that after Saintees scored. We went into rabbit in headlights mode.

Concentration levels are the worst I've seen in seasons. For me there are too many looking over their shoulder at their teammates expecting them to do something and shirking responsibility.

I don't blame Jack Ross tonight, I fully blame the players - they yet again **** the bed some of them have done that way too often and sentimentality needs replaced with ruthlessness and they need moved on.

Spine of the team needs leaders. That's what Jack Ross needs to remedy in the next two windows for me.
    You don’t blame Ross at all?

I agree with a lot of what you say by the way. But he has been very well backed and I don’t have a clue what kind of team he’s trying to build.

Another way to look at that is plenty of managers would have had the ability to prepare and motivate that group of players to beat St Johnstone.

Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Another way to look at that is plenty of managers would have had the ability to prepare and motivate that group of players to beat St Johnstone.
    Possibly, most of the managers we’ve had over the years have failed to beat the likes of St Johnstone regularly. It’s deep and ingrained and it’s something Ron needs to get to the bottom of to get us to the next level.

I completely agree. Ross put out a very strong 11 who should have the ability to win that game.

The decision to pick those players and motivation was clearly there as we battered them for thirty minutes and were by far the better team.

One corner conceded and were asked to defend for the first time in the game which results in them scoring. That’s purely down to concentration and probably complacency.

We should get in at half time, regroup and go again.

4 minutes into the second half the exact same happens again.

Absolutley shambolic.

Whilst I don’t agree with the change from 352 to 442 I’m not sure much would have changed the game, we looked done.

You can blame Ross all you want but when Murphy misses a sitter then follows it up by trying to be smart and chip the goalie and also not follow his runner for the 3rd goal then you don’t have much of a chance.

The way the players played for 35 minutes of the second half was a disgrace and I don’t care what formation or tactics they were told, it was the basics of football. None of them could pass, track a runner, press their man or make a tackle - it was comical.

Players need to have that bit of grit inside them to take a game by the scruff of the neck and drag us back into the game.

Too much now a days is blamed on tactics etc, players go out and want to win and do whatever it takes to win and it’s a different story.

Thats the first time in a while I’ve genuinely watched a game and thought half the players were hiding and never wanted the ball.

I was actually wishing we had Mallan on as he would at least get on the ball and pick a pass no matter how bad he’s playing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Jack Ross GTF

now please would be good

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Hanlon

Porteous

Et Al

GTF!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Tonight it was the players.

First half showed that the set up and tactics were right. They didn’t capitalise.

Two goals from set pieces need to be looked at. Question for those with more knowledge than me re setting up the defence. Seemed that we were a bit zonal and SJ blocked Hanlon’s area allowing the free headers. Porteous should not have lost his man for the first.

Second half, two ball carrying midfielders brought on and they only saw the ball flying over their head. I don’t believe that was the plan and was people losing their heads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by dastardly8 View Post
    Is it the players or the manager , players have to take responsibility when they step on the pitch and today nobody took responsibilty , we need a leader on the park who can drive the team on and we simply don’t have one , we need a talker who will shout , talk get the team wound up to do what’s needed , Hanlon isn’t captain material far too quiet and powderpuff
    Both im afraid to say

Left by mutual consent!
    Jack Ross. He is very dull and uninspiring, he has shown nothing to suggest he knows what it takes to win major silverwhere.

Just listened to his interview and it is pathetic arguing with the reporter.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p094yj5c

What about Mathie? We seemed to have signed a bunch of midfielders for the sake of it, how many midfielders do we have? How many good defenders? We only have two strikers. Is anyone else concerned that there are a number of players getting a good wage who don't play anymore. Namely 2016 defence, Hanlon will get a new deal too.

Biggest opportunity ever to win a major trophy with the semi lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Jack Ross. He is very dull and uninspiring, he has shown nothing to suggest he knows what it takes to win major silverwhere.

Just listened to his interview and it is pathetic arguing with the reporter.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p094yj5c

What about Mathie? We seemed to have signed a bunch of midfielders for the sake of it, how many midfielders do we have? How many good defenders? We only have two strikers. Is anyone else concerned that there are a number of players getting a good wage who don't play anymore. Namely 2016 defence, Hanlon will get a new deal too.

Biggest opportunity ever to win a major trophy with the semi lineup.
    That interview is Lennon-esque.

We have 500k worth of strikers who aren’t firing just now. Boyle is having a shocker. Murphy sitters tonight were beyond embarrassing. Magennis just another injury prone waste of money. Been with us a while now and his only real contribution is a cross that went in. The goals we have conceded over the past few weeks has been nothing more than Sunday amateur. Tonight’s performance has turned a large chunk of the support against them again. The fans are angry

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    That interview is Lennon-esque.
    23:40 for the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Tonight it was the players.

First half showed that the set up and tactics were right. They didn’t capitalise.

Two goals from set pieces need to be looked at. Question for those with more knowledge than me re setting up the defence. Seemed that we were a bit zonal and SJ blocked Hanlon’s area allowing the free headers. Porteous should not have lost his man for the first.

Second half, two ball carrying midfielders brought on and they only saw the ball flying over their head. I don’t believe that was the plan and was people losing their heads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The tactics were ok in the first half but having watched Macey constantly shouting instructions to the defence in the last few games I think he should have started. Competition for jerseys has to have meaning otherwise complacency kicks in. That is obvious in the centre back situation where Hanlon and Porteous start every game because there is no decent alternative. We have loads of midfield options but they need to be set up right and not just thrown in when they are not match fit, Cadden, Mcgennis and Allan. All questionable when you have Mallen and Halberg, Who at least know their roles. I would have probably started Stevenson as well.
    There was no shape in the 2nd half whereas Saints kept theirs properly and it was so easy for them.
    I thought it would be a tough game, but that was embarrassing.
    We don't get many OF free cup chances like that, but then again neither do the other teams still in it. Guarantee Livi or At Mirren won't put in such a weak performance in their tie. Today was a very bad performance and result and I think we as fans are due an apology

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The manager carriers the burden of responsibility, but again we are looking at individual errors costing us at both end of the pitch. Is motivation a factor? Yes I think to an extent, and there are frailties in the mentality of the players, we capitulated like we did against Livingston and Ross County.

I’m not defending Ross tonight, but if Murphy buries his chance it’s a different game. If Irvines header goes the right side of the post it’s a different game. If Porteous marks his man and Murphy stays on the post as he was obviously assigned to do instead of wander in to the middle of the ****ing goal it’s a different game.

Left by mutual consent!
    December 2019 was the last big game victory for Hibs. Think about that.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    The manager carriers the burden of responsibility, but again we are looking at individual errors costing us at both end of the pitch. Is motivation a factor? Yes I think to an extent, and there are frailties in the mentality of the players, we capitulated like we did against Livingston and Ross County.

I’m not defending Ross tonight, but if Murphy buries his chance it’s a different game. If Irvines header goes the right side of the post it’s a different game. If Porteous marks his man and Murphy stays on the post as he was obviously assigned to do instead of wander in to the middle of the ****ing goal it’s a different game.
    It’s all about mentality and unfortunately this group appears to be extremely weak. It’s the third time recently we’ve capitulated when the going got tough. The players have no composure to continue to play the way they’ve been told, instead no one wants any responsibility and we end up playing panic stations at the back and hoofing it to no one.

Ross absolutely must take responsibility for that and sort it out. He won’t be away unless our league season totally falls apart so he’s going to get a chance to improve on the teams main weaknesses. Not sure he’ll manage it though.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 24-01-2021 at 05:55 AM.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    The team is weak, that is down to our manager and DoF.

Yesterday was a carbon copy of Ross County match -

Ross plays bingo with the team selection................yet again. We all know Nisbet needs another striker to play off, but - hey - lets play one up front anyway.

We play well for the first 20/30, create a few half chances but fail to convert. We still look ponderous, playing across the back until - with no midfielder showing - hanlon or porto launches it toward a 6 foot 4 opposition centre half.

Opposition score with what is basically their first chance.

Hibs have no leaders and fold.

We come out after ht, concede again and its game over.

Ross throws on baffling subs who make us worse.

We lose - again.

My summary? We have (and have recruited) some soft as ***** players, if it were not for our early season form I would say we were being pulled into a relegation battle.

If I were Ron, Ross would be sacked, and so would Mathie who has allowed / sanctioned the signings of players with no character or fight most of whom seem to be at Hibs for a decent payday and a lie down on the treatment table.

Buck stops with the manager. We've a decent set of players who are well paid. It is the manager's job to select the right mix, organise and motivate. The whole team is failing when the heat is turned up and Jack Ross appears incapable of changing that - and he's had loads of opportunities.

The very fact they we have PH as captain once again, tells you all you need to know about JRs squad building.

PH has been a decent servant to Hibs over the years, but has never been a captain. This, together with us having an abundance of midfielders, 2 out of form strikers on the books and a defence that is now leaking goals to teams positioned lower than us, says it all about JRs 14 months here.

Doesnt have a plan B, see yesterday & his team selections and tactics in both semis have been woeful. He won’t take us any further than he has.

GGTTH.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Mostly it's down to the players but it's the manager who has to take the responsibility.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    The players need to get the blame for that yesterday, crap defending again from our CH's for the free kicks. Murphy needs a bollocking for trying to be smart and chipping the keeper rather than just skelping it.