hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jamie Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My point is that these are two players with a long history of injury problems and is usually the case that has continued. Handing out contracts for guys to sit in the stands is not something we can afford to do and we need to start considering this when we sign players. Past history of injury problems is the biggest indicator of future injury problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They’ve both had one injury prior to signing for us IIRC. Long history is absolute nonsense. Magennis is here for 4 years and is a long term investment.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    They’ve both had one injury prior to signing for us IIRC. Long history is absolute nonsense. Magennis is here for 4 years and is a long term investment.
    Neither of them have played enough games for us since they joined, let alone good games. Both look like their recent injuries have hampered them and don't appear particularly quick or mobile when they do play.

Whilst the pedigree of both players is good and they have both shown in brief flashes that they might offer us something, the early signs suggest to me that neither will prove to be great signings given they are both likely to be taking a very decent wage by our standards and are simply giving us far too little.

It has to be said, it currently looks to me like we are wasting a hell of a lot of money on very little end product of various types from too many players.

Nisbet, McGinn and Doig are probably providing more than enough for the outlay on them.

Gray, McGregor, Stevenson, Hanlon, Porteous, Gogic, Newell, Boyle, Murphy, Doidge, Magennis, Murphy, Mallan, Wright - can anyone argue that we are getting enough minutes on the pitch, goals, assists, solid defensive performances for the large proportion of our budget that will be being spent on them all?

Ross can't argue he hasn't been backed.
    Last edited by Smartie; 24-01-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Neither of them have played enough games for us since they joined, let alone good games. Both look like their recent injuries have hampered them and don't appear particularly quick or mobile when they do play.

Whilst the pedigree of both players is good and they have both shown in brief flashes that they might offer us something, the early signs suggest to me that neither will prove to be great signings given they are both likely to be taking a very decent wage by our standards and are simply giving us far too little.

It has to be said, it currently looks to me like we are wasting a hell of a lot of money on very little end product of various types from too many players.

Nisbet, McGinn and Doig are probably providing more than enough for the outlay on them.

Gray, McGregor, Stevenson, Hanlon, Porteous, Gogic, Newell, Boyle, Murphy, Doidge, Magennis, Murphy, Mallan, Wright - can anyone argue that we are getting enough minutes on the pitch, goals, assists, solid defensive performances for the large proportion of our budget that will be being spent on them all?

The point was signing players with long histories of injuries. That’s clearly not the case with those two players. What happens once they get here is out of our control in the main.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

you forgot to add another McGinn to that bottom list of players, lord knows what on earth is going on with him

and you added Murphy twice :)

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    you forgot to add another McGinn to that bottom list of players, lord knows what on earth is going on with him

and you added Murphy twice :)
    Murphy is pissing me off right now so he deserves to be on the list twice.

And yes, you have a point about McGinn.
    Last edited by Smartie; 24-01-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    The point was signing players with long histories of injuries. That’s clearly not the case with those two players. What happens once they get here is out of our control in the main.
    We might be arguing about the word "long" here.

Both players have signed with a history of recent injury and neither player has put that behind them, played regularly and at an adequate level of physical fitness.

Neither have given me much confidence that the injuries suffered before joining Hibs aren't the start of a "long" decline in physical terms.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Murphy is pissing me off right now so he deserves to be on the list twice.

And yes, you have a point about McGinn.

i thought it was because he fluffed two sitters yesterday, then again he fired one 25FT over the bar in the 2nd half as well so maybe deserves a 3rd addition

We shouldn't go near players who have a close affinity with those *** ****bags. They don't get Hibs and are best suited to our Gorgie chums.

We might be arguing about the word "long" here.

Both players have signed with a history of recent injury and neither player has put that behind them, played regularly and at an adequate level of physical fitness.

Neither have given me much confidence that the injuries suffered before joining Hibs aren't the start of a "long" decline in physical terms.
    Magennis was injured when we signed him. He’s signed for 4 years. He’s clearly a long term asset. I don’t think anyone was expecting huge things from him straight away. I’ve no doubt he’ll come good and prove to be a hugely exciting signing going by his history and reputation. There’s nothing to suggest that he’s starting a decline, his career has barely started.

Murphy is at the other end of the spectrum, before Covid he put an extended run in down south and had very good numbers, with Rangers picking up majority of his wages tab this season then it was probably a risk but one we were happy to take. He can’t play on Wednesday so has until next weekend to be fit again.