hibs.net Messageboard

Who is Ross answering to?

Our owner is (for the most part) overseas, and further constrained by this poxy virus by being more hands-on the club; so in the absence of a current CEO, who exactly is critiquing this manager, and the results in big games, and almost as importantly his signings which aren't addressing the glaring deficiencies in the team - centre half, lack of forward options and a surfeit of unfit midfield players?

Whose brief on the Board covers manager's and team's performance?

2. Log in to remove the advert

2 months since LD said she was leaving and no replacement.

Lack of leadership definitely at the club.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our owner is (for the most part) overseas, and further constrained by this poxy virus by being more hands-on the club; so in the absence of a current CEO, who exactly is critiquing this manager, and the results in big games, and almost as importantly his signings which aren't addressing the glaring deficiencies in the team - centre half, lack of forward options and a surfeit of unfit midfield players?

Whose brief on the Board covers manager's and team's performance?
    Absolutely no one. Rudderless ship.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    2 months since LD said she was leaving and no replacement.

Lack of leadership definitely at the club.
    Gordon is an executive Chair and I’m sure is very hands on day to day.

All the areas in the club have their own heads so doubt there’s much impact at this stage of not having a CEO.

Graeme Mathie, the same person he has all season. LD leaving doesn’t change that, although we need to get the structure of the club finalised ASAP so we are in the best position when we come out of this pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Graeme Mathie, the same person he has all season. LD leaving doesn’t change that, although we need to get the structure of the club finalised ASAP so we are in the best position when we come out of this pandemic.
    Ross is answerable to Mathie? God help us - another cold fish who seems to just want to sign unfit players.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Gordon is an executive Chair and I’m sure is very hands on day to day.

All the areas in the club have their own heads so doubt there’s much impact at this stage of not having a CEO.
    Genuine question, how can he be hands on day to day when being on a different continent and different time zones? At best he will catch up daily. It’s hardly hands on.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Absolutely no one. Rudderless ship.
    Can we not go there? It is not a rudderless ship, we have a lot of good things happening at the club, we have had some poor results, but we are not a rudderless ship.

Coaching Staff
    Genuine question, how can he be hands on day to day when being on a different continent and different time zones? At best he will catch up daily. It’s hardly hands on.
    I haven’t met anyone I’ve worked with for the last year but I’m absolutely in control of everything and everyone that I need to be.

I haven’t met anyone I’ve worked with for the last year but I’m absolutely in control of everything and everyone that I need to be.
    You're not Jack Ross posting on here under an assumed name, are you?

Ron Gordon will be very aware of what is going on at Hibs day in and day out. He'll be aware of the result tonight and the reaction to it.

Like many jobs the Hibs manager will have KPIs and LD having left the building won't have changed those. It's the 21st century if the Hibs board want to meet to discuss the managers performance and the executive chairman wants to be involved in that then it's entirely possible to do that.

Essentially this, if Ron wants to be kept up to date and be in every meeting, then he will be, if he doesn’t, he won’t. Where he is doesn’t really factor, especially at the moment, when I assume the CEO would largely be working from home even if we had one!

Left by mutual consent!
    I’m the same. The difference is most of my colleagues are in the UK, not Peru. I get he’s backed the club, not sure he is in control of everything.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Can we not go there? It is not a rudderless ship, we have a lot of good things happening at the club, we have had some poor results, but we are not a rudderless ship.
    Time will tell. Ross answering to Mathie? There may be a million good things going on at the club, the ultimate is the 1st team tho. If that’s not performing well in big games, questions surely have to be asked from the owner down?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Ron Gordon will be very aware of what is going on at Hibs day in and day out. He'll be aware of the result tonight and the reaction to it.

Like many jobs the Hibs manager will have KPIs and LD having left the building won't have changed those. It's the 21st century if the Hibs board want to meet to discuss the managers performance and the executive chairman wants to be involved in that then it's entirely possible to do that.
    Good point PB, but the involvement of the CEO/owner goes back to Petrie and Farmer's reign; we had an owner who by his own admission wasn't a football person, and neither unfortunately was the guy who did his bidding at Board level. What's the profile of the new Board appointees?

Will they be as pissed off as we are at the result? Will they be aware of the "soft" tag that we appear to be growing into again? Will they want to beat that mob from the other side of the town every time we play them?

First half hard luck story aside, Hibs were humiliated in a national semi-final tonight in front of a televised audience. Beat and out the competition after only an hour of the match played.

If that doesn't concern our owner greatly then there's something seriously wrong.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Jack Ross isn’t answerable to Graeme Mathie.

I don’t doubt Mathie will have some input but I’d put my house on him not being the person who decides Ross’s future.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Good point PB, but the involvement of the CEO/owner goes back to Petrie and Farmer's reign; we had an owner who by his own admission wasn't a football person, and neither unfortunately was the guy who did his bidding at Board level. What's the profile of the new Board appointees?

Will they be as pissed off as we are at the result? Will they be aware of the "soft" tag that we appear to be growing into again? Will they want to beat that mob from the other side of the town every time we play them?

First half hard luck story aside, Hibs were humiliated in a national semi-final tonight in front of a televised audience. Beat and out the competition after only an hour of the match played.

If that doesn't concern our owner greatly then there's something seriously wrong.
    Ultimately, even if we had a board / management structure full of people who weren’t interested in football (which I don’t think is the case!) and were instead just interested in money / business, surely they’d still be sat there asking questions as to why we didn’t make the final, and the revenue that would have brought, after getting thumped by a smaller club on a smaller budget.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Jack Ross isn’t answerable to Graeme Mathie.

I don’t doubt Mathie will have some input but I’d put my house on him not being the person who decides Ross’s future.
    Of course he is. He won’t decide the future, that would be a whole board decision, however day to day Ross answers to Mathie as per our current structure.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Ultimately, even if we had a board / management structure full of people who weren’t interested in football (which I don’t think is the case!) and were instead just interested in money / business, surely they’d still be sat there asking questions as to why we didn’t make the final, and the revenue that would have brought, after getting thumped by a smaller club on a smaller budget.

Even the money-folk know what drives revenue at a football club, and they will definitely know it’s not failure that does it.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Of course he is. He won’t decide the future, that would be a whole board decision, however day to day Ross answers to Mathie as per our current structure.
    Fair enough then, i stand corrected.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I’m the same. The difference is most of my colleagues are in the UK, not Peru. I get he’s backed the club, not sure he is in control of everything.
    You are aware that Ron is based in the US? Working virtually if done well should not make a difference whether your remote staff are in Edinburgh, distributed across the UK, Europe and if its the US East Coast is not as much of a pain time-zone-wise as the West Coast (as they get into work as folks in the UK typically leave) but even so you come to a compromise on synch points.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I’m not convinced Mathie will have a great deal of influence to be honest. Going by job title, yes. But with a CEO in place, I’m not sure he’s making many critical decisions. Seems like a scout that’s found himself in an elevated poison to me.

Does that cover signings? Who's held to account for signing players we might actually want to use straight away???

I knew an ex-player who was brought in as the GK coach, but was signed as a player in case of an emergency with the first/second choice goalies.

He'd had 5 clubs in his career, and he told me that the Hibs' medical was the toughest and most stringent one he'd ever underwent prior to signing for anyone (bear in mind he was signed as back-up to the back-up).

Are Mathie and Ross just unlucky in the half-fit players we currently seem to bring in?

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I’m not convinced Mathie will have a great deal of influence to be honest. Going by job title, yes. But with a CEO in place, I’m not sure he’s making many critical decisions. Seems like a scout that’s found himself in an elevated poison to me.
    As do I, however in our structure he is Ross’ direct senior. I don’t agree with how he was put into the position and think it was maybe prior to Ron or very early in his tenure?

Good thing is Ron always talks about wanting ‘best in class’ so will still be watching and learning for the foreseeable. I’ve no doubt looking at his continued investment that were in for exciting times with the right people in the right jobs.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Yup the 0 from 2 is a stat that screams out and will require an explanation. Failure really wasn’t an option tonight to lose in the manner we did was the biggest disappointment.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Does that cover signings? Who's held to account for signing players we might actually want to use straight away???

I knew an ex-player who was brought in as the GK coach, but was signed as a player in case of an emergency with the first/second choice goalies.

He'd had 5 clubs in his career, and he told me that the Hibs' medical was the toughest and most stringent one he'd ever underwent prior to signing for anyone (bear in mind he was signed as back-up to the back-up).

Are Mathie and Ross just unlucky in the half-fit players we currently seem to bring in?
    I presume our signings are how they always were, recruitment team put names forward, Ross, Mathie and the CEO when in place will pick their choices and Ron will sign it off. Although that could be wrong. Just feels there’s too many gaps just now and we need to get that structure sorted ASAP.

First Team Breakthrough

EH ? Haha !

As do I, however in our structure he is Ross’ direct senior. I don’t agree with how he was put into the position and think it was maybe prior to Ron or very early in his tenure?

Good thing is Ron always talks about wanting ‘best in class’ so will still be watching and learning for the foreseeable. I’ve no doubt looking at his continued investment that were in for exciting times with the right people in the right jobs.
    I think Mathie’s promotion was after Ron came in but I don’t think it was necessarily his appointment. It was about the August but I don’t think he was I post for a few months.

I’m not sure he’ll be here long term. For me, he lacks any real authority or presence. I think this defeat will speed up the process of getting a CEO I . And the CEO will make changes beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I think Mathie’s promotion was after Ron came in but I don’t think it was necessarily his appointment. It was about the August but I don’t think he was I post for a few months.

I’m not sure he’ll be here long term. For me, he lacks any real authority or presence. I think this defeat will speed up the process of getting a CEO I . And the CEO will make changes beyond that.
    I certainly hope so.