hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Porteous

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brought Saturdays knock on himself? He skinned the boy with quick feet and got clattered 😂 Your first post also says through his rash tackles, he had the ball on Saturday, he never made a tackle.
    Exactly 👍 some of the comments on here are embarrassing. Not even a red kneck 😅

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    I thought so too

I also said earlier in this thread that I thought it hampered him throughout the game as it wasn't a vintage Porteous performance by any means.

Having said all of that and having been critical of him earlier I am still very glad he is one of our players and we can all have of our off days.

I am not convinced he is going to reach the heights I initially hoped but he is still one of the better centre half's in the league on his day with years to develop

It was clearly deliberate, a premeditated attempt to take him out and ,not for just the game ,watch the replays for those of who you don't agree. Targeted his old injury area.
    Last edited by hhibs; 27-01-2021 at 02:53 PM.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KanyeWestLower View Post
    Go watch the clip of the knock he took on the knee from Saturday. He brought that on himself. You are correct Porteous was part of defence which didn’t concede a lot of goals at the start of the season. Which included clean sheets against Motherwell, st Johnstone, st mirren & Ross county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Got himself into a position to play a pass and start a counter from midfield before being clattered - was a blatant foul that should have been a yellow card.

@hibs.net private member
    Porteous sleeping. Left Stampy to drift of him to score. He had the chance to empty him out on the sideline b4 goal 🙄

He needs a rest

I don't know what's happening with him this season but he's went way way down in my estimation and without doubt Ross dropped the wrong centre half. Porteous has looked a liability for a long long time
    How many times has he tried to be cute only for it to end up a mess and then Ryan punching the ground looking to buy a foul

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    He will drop out against Dundee United imo.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    He needs a rest

That's dropped in other words

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Kris Boyd clearly been reading this thread

@hibs.net private member KanyeWestLower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

People that take your arguments apart you mean? Ok mate, have a good one
    Hiya pal, don’t apologise man it must be tough.

An error for the goal tonight but nowhere near as bad as is being made out.

I think he will drop out on Saturday though. McGregor slotted in well and I don't think a couple of games out of the firing line will do Porteous any harm.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I think he will drop out on Saturday though. McGregor slotted in well and I don't think a couple of games out of the firing line will do Porteous any harm.

He's had two bad knocks to the knee in the last two games and looked to have picked up an injury before he came off tonight so a couple of games on the bench won't do him any harm.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KanyeWestLower View Post
    Hiya pal, don’t apologise man it must be tough.

I thought you didn’t speak to people like me? It must give you a nice fuzzy feeling inside tonight.

Stop treating Porteous with kid gloves.

He's miles away from being a top class centre back, in even our ****ty backwater of a football landscape.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by CathroMustStay View Post

He's miles away from being a top class centre back, in even our ****ty backwater of a football landscape.
    He didn’t say he was a top class centre back. He said he’s been nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

I agree.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post

He's had two bad knocks to the knee in the last two games and looked to have picked up an injury before he came off tonight so a couple of games on the bench won't do him any harm.
    Making excuses for him I think. He’s not that young now, looks like he’s believed the hype. He needs to kick on otherwise he’ll not realise the potential he has/had.

If we had a bigger squad I’d be calling for him to get a rest. He needs McGregor to give him more mentoring - all that smiling at the camera stuff isn’t going to cut it.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

His mistake cost us the game (if we forget about Clancy for a second), it’s a peril of the position he plays but he’s got to cut them out. Did it at the weekend, did it in the semi vs Hearts too. It was absolutely basic stuff as well.

Can tell he wasn’t comfortable at left centre back, done it twice trying to follow a runner that was being tracked instead of going with the danger. Done it with the goal and again when Morelos went through a while after.

Left by mutual consent!
    Kris Boyd fairly ripped Porteous to bits at the end.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CathroMustStay View Post

He has all the attributes to be a top defender, but sadly doesn't not look like he'll learn that at Easter Road. At the moment, don't think he is what we need at centre back. Would prefer a less talented, more dependable, mature player in our back line. IMO, RP needs to be sold for his and our sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    His mistake cost us the game (if we forget about Clancy for a second), it’s a peril of the position he plays but he’s got to cut them out. Did it at the weekend, did it in the semi vs Hearts too. It was absolutely basic stuff as well.
    I'm not disputing it was a poor error and I wrote a post that can't be desrcibed as anything other than critical of him earlier in this thread. That error led to his entire performance being savaged though which was OTT.

On a more general note I think the entire defence along with the goalkeeper are under enormous pressure at the moment. We are struggling to put the ball in the net so every single mistake is potentially game costing. On Saturday Murphy was every bit as much to blame as Hanlon and Porteous for our defeat and tonight Irvine and Doidge both should have done far, far better when presented with opportunities. Attacking players don't get singled out for the 'cost us the game' line as easily though.

I'm not disputing it was a poor error and I wrote a post that can't be desrcibed as anything other than critical of him earlier in this thread. That error led to his entire performance being savaged though which was OTT.

On a more general note I think the entire defence along with the goalkeeper are under enormous pressure at the moment. We are struggling to put the ball in the net so every single mistake is potentially game costing. On Saturday Murphy was every bit as much to blame as Hanlon and Porteous for our defeat and tonight Irvine and Doidge both should have done far, far better when presented with opportunities. Attacking players don't get singled out for the 'cost us the game' line as easily though.
    I think the bigger problem is our quality on the ball. Our use of the ball is abysmal.

Can't use it to create and give it away and put the defence under pressure.

Sorry mate, but I have to challenge you on this. Anyone who has ever played football (at any level) would recognise that his "defending" for the goal wasn't even of a schoolboy standard.....it was absolutely criminal.

He inexplicably doesn't follow his man (lazy). Not only that, he's 2 yards deeper than everyone else and plays him onside !

He is a liability and has been for some time now.

I feel sorry for the manager and the rest of the players tonight (and us fans) as it's impossible to legislate for defending like that.

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post

And rightly so - inexcusable defending.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    I think the bigger problem is our quality on the ball. Our use of the ball is abysmal.

Can't use it to create and give it away and put the defence under pressure.

You're not wrong there, the final ball is atrocious. We continually lose good attacking opportunities with poor passing and how many times are they going to do the train at corners, it doesn't work.

He definitely needs a break. I think that’s all there is to say about it. He’s still only 21.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsboy69 View Post
    Sorry mate, but I have to challenge you on this. Anyone who has ever played football (at any level) would recognise that his "defending" for the goal wasn't even of a schoolboy standard.....it was absolutely criminal.

He inexplicably doesn't follow his man (lazy). Not only that, he's 2 yards deeper than everyone else and plays him onside !

He is a liability and has been for some time now.

I feel sorry for the manager and the rest of the players tonight (and us fans) as it's impossible to legislate for defending like that.
    Yup. He was particularly poor tonight imo in what was a better team performance.

He needs to really start kicking on. He’s 22 soon and if I’m being honest I don’t think he’s as good as Hanlon was at that age. It’s a far cry from future Scotland captain as he was being touted a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Yup. He was particularly poor tonight imo in what was a better team performance.

He needs to really start kicking on. He’s 22 soon and if I’m being honest I don’t think he’s as good as Hanlon was at that age. It’s a far cry from future Scotland captain as he was being touted a couple of years ago.
    The bit in bold - spot on

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post

You’ve got to remember that everything Boyd says is to please his particular audience - and Rangers fans really dislike Porteous.

It’s true he’s had some difficult moments and another one tonight but he has far more positives than negatives.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I've not always been Porto's biggest fan here, mains rash, he decision making too often questionable and as he did tonight switches off. Having said that I actually thought he played well in the first half tonight and played his part in a solid defensive unit. No excuses for the goal though clearly just fell asleep and that happens too often with him.