hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Porteous

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you know Stubbs didn’t want Hanlon at Rotherham?

The fact that Lennon didn’t want him for Celtc doesn’t tell us much. Hanlon isn’t good enough for Celtc. Neither are basically all of our players.

Grant Hanley has moved for around £10m in transfers, and plays, and captains, the team who are top of the English Championship. You’ve just not got a clue clearly.

And you have a clue ? Hanlon has been part of some off the worst results in our history and the captain / leader of the team in another 2 shocking big game results this season but you still think he is brilliant and defend him to the hilt.
    Can't always be everybody apart from Hanlon's fault .

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Porto starting position should be 6 ft back and he should be aware of the player behind. He’s not until it’s too late. Pretty much the same with the first one too.
    Is that the modern way to mark a man. No one is marking the scorer and goal side is marking as far as I know. Ryan's positioning is terrible

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by h1bs4life View Post
    And you have a clue ? Hanlon has been part of some off the worst results in our history and the captain / leader of the team in another 2 shocking big game results this season but you still think he is brilliant and defend him to the hilt.
    Can't always be everybody apart from Hanlon's fault .
    I’ve never said he’s brilliant. In fact, I said he wasn’t good enough for Celtc...so I’m pretty far away from saying he’s brilliant.

It’s not always someone else’s fault either, and I’ve said he was ***** yesterday, and had been poor recently.

Your points are erratic and nonsensical, and I don’t think you’ve got a clue.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Overrated.

Not as good as we think he is & not as good as he thinks he is

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Overrated.

Hard to disagree.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Is that the modern way to mark a man. No one is marking the scorer and goal side is marking as far as I know. Ryan's positioning is terrible
    Is this not why we have coaches?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Overrated.

And not as bad as some are making out.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Is this not why we have coaches?
    Yep. Marking and positioning for set pieces should be drilled into the team by coaches.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I’ve never said he’s brilliant. In fact, I said he wasn’t good enough for Celtc...so I’m pretty far away from saying he’s brilliant.

It’s not always someone else’s fault either, and I’ve said he was ***** yesterday, and had been poor recently.

Your points are erratic and nonsensical, and I don’t think you’ve got a clue.
    Despite my points being erratic and nonsensical , you still try and answer them.
    Not sure how that works.
    Do you still think Hanlon should be mainstay and captain of our team or has he had his time and should move on ?

Despite my points being erratic and nonsensical , you still try and answer them.
    Not sure how that works.
    Do you still think Hanlon should be mainstay and captain of our team or has he had his time and should move on ?
    It really isn’t that black and white. In the main Hanlon has been fine this season and at times extremely good. He’s had poor games and no one should be a guaranteed starter. It shouldn’t be either start every week and be captain or get out the club though.

To save me reading a few pages... a lot of people now think Porteous is pish and it’s Paul Hanlon’s fault?

You’d think this was hibs.net shortly after a bad defeat in a big game or something.

Gamer IDs

Not sure how that works.
    Im not trying to be a dick...it’s prob not coming across that way though.

I do think he should still be playing every week. I don’t think whether he’s captain or not is really that important. I see the captain as the go between with management and squad. A senior player who is trusted by management and players. The captain should also speak to the ref. The whole “get the team going” thing I don’t really buy into. The players out there shouldn’t need anyone to motivate them, they’re professional footballers and they should be motivated as an absolute minimum requirement.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Does Ryan really think hes that good?

Whenever I've seen him interviewed he also comes across as a grounded, humble well rounded young player

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I find it ridiculous Hanlon seems to be getting blamed for Porteous making mistakes. He’s cost us dearly in both semi finals due to individual mistakes. Of course Hanlon himself wasn’t brilliant for the second goal either but he can’t take the blame for Porteous ****ing up.
    I agree the flack Hanlons getting because Porteous is making mistakes is ridiculous. Even in your post defending him you say he wasn't great at the 2nd goal yet he was left trying to out muscle 2 players because Porteous was missing again.

The call up to the Scotland squad seems to have affected Ryan in all the wrong ways. It's as if he's trying to develop into the player he thinks he needs to be to get in the Scotland team rather than to continue as he was doing to get the recognition in the 1st place. Maybe if he listened to his captain rather than the Scotland manager he'd get back to doing what he was doing pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I’m agreeing.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    Porteous will always get the benefit of the doubt from people as he’s a young laddie. He’s not been good, most people will admit that but neither has Hanlon.

But we’ve seen Ryan can be good and I don’t think playing alongside Hanlon is helping him at all.

Porteous has age on his side, Hanlon doesn’t and out of the two it’s him who needs replaced. If we can get 2 in even better
    But has it crossed your mind that playing beside Porteous who's making basic mistakes and being out of position constantly isn't helping Hanlon either?

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post

Whenever I've seen him interviewed he also comes across as a grounded, humble well rounded young player

What on earth makes you think that posting something factual on here will ever catch on?

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post

Indeed. People think because he has a personality that he is arrogant. There is nothing, other than the many mindreaders on here, to suggest he thinks he is some kind of superstar.

The measure of how good our players are is if any other clubs wants to buy them, not many beating the door down to get our defenders anytime soon !

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Indeed. People think because he has a personality that he is arrogant. There is nothing, other than the many mindreaders on here, to suggest he thinks he is some kind of superstar.
    Take it from me , he will be hurting every bit as much as we all are at the moment. He made a couple of mistakes yesterday as did the seasoned professionals playing alongside him.. and the seasoned professionals in the dugout. There is no one in the squad who wants Hibs to win more than Ryan. FACT !

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the tornadoe View Post
    Take it from me , he will be hurting every bit as much as we all are at the moment. He made a couple of mistakes yesterday as did the seasoned professionals playing alongside him.. and the seasoned professionals in the dugout. There is no one in the squad who wants Hibs to win more than Ryan. FACT !
    I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that this is the case

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    But has it crossed your mind that playing beside Porteous who's making basic mistakes and being out of position constantly isn't helping Hanlon either?
    Ahh, so it’s always the other centre half that makes Hanlon look bad ?

There is a common theme in soft hibs teams for years and it certainly isn’t Ryan.

Gamer IDs

There is a common theme in soft hibs teams for years and it certainly isn’t Ryan.
    That’s not what he said, you know that’s not what he said.

Maybe if hibs had addressed the problem we have had with lack of competition for the central defence we wouldn't be continually talking about this problem, but we seem to think signing loads of midfielders usually unfit or injured will fix the problem

Porteous has improved since he first broke into the side and we should remember he had a serious injury as well. There are definitely signs the rashness and hot headedness he showed early in his career has lessened.

However there was chat when he was 1st on the fringes of the 1st team that we had a future Scotland captain on our hands and one of the best young CBs in Europe. I'll accept the latter was probably slightly tongue in cheek but the former still gets an airing from time to time. I'm not sure his development is quick enough for him to have the career some expected tbh. As a comparison Christopher Berra was only a couple of years older than Porteous when he went down to Championship Wolves who were promoted to the Premier League in the 1st season. Berra has had a decent career but not a great one. 'Late developer' Andy Robertson was a year younger than Porteous when he went down to Hull City. Does Porteous look like he will be ready to play EPL football in the next year or 2 at his current rate of development?

I think we have a good CB in Porteous who is still prone to the odd bad mistake. He's not a baby though and is approaching 100 senior games now. He needs to take big strides forward in the next season and a bit if he is going to reach the levels some predicted and we all hope for for him.

First Team Breakthrough Max_Shah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Porteous has improved since he first broke into the side and we should remember he had a serious injury as well. There are definitely signs the rashness and hot headedness he showed early in his career has lessened.

However there was chat when he was 1st on the fringes of the 1st team that we had a future Scotland captain on our hands and one of the best young CBs in Europe. I'll accept the latter was probably slightly tongue in cheek but the former still gets an airing from time to time. I'm not sure his development is quick enough for him to have the career some expected tbh. As a comparison Christopher Berra was only a couple of years older than Porteous when he went down to Championship Wolves who were promoted to the Premier League in the 1st season. Berra has had a decent career but not a great one. 'Late developer' Andy Robertson was a year younger than Porteous when he went down to Hull City. Does Porteous look like he will be ready to play EPL football in the next year or 2 at his current rate of development?

I think we have a good CB in Porteous who is still prone to the odd bad mistake. He's not a baby though and is approaching 100 senior games now. He needs to take big strides forward in the next season and a bit if he is going to reach the levels some predicted and we all hope for for him.
    No.

And that is a damning indictment of our systematic failings in first-team coaching, sports science, in-game management, psychological support and in our system of player mentoring.

There is also a common theme in top 4 finishing, European qualifying and cup final Hibs teams in the last 12 years. Its Paul Hanlon

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    There is also a common theme in top 4 finishing, European qualifying and cup final Hibs teams in the last 12 years. Its Paul Hanlon
    Conveniently leave out the relegation, terrible derby record and numerous other embarrassing defeats though. Apart from that......

Conveniently leave out the relegation, terrible derby record and numerous other embarrassing defeats though. Apart from that......
    What about the promotion, 9 derbies unbeaten, the many wonderful wins (4-0 vs huns, wins against Celtic, Aberdeen, European wins etc)

Which proves its not always plain sailing, but only pointing out the negatives isn’t always the best way to put an argument over. Talking about relegation though, Hanlon missed pretty much that whole run in, it’s one thing you can’t blame him for.