hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Porteous

Yous think he’s great. I think we’d be a better team if he was replaced.

Pointless exercise going back and forward all day. Away to have some dinner, a nice glass of red and forget about Hibs for a few days.

It’s never easy being a hibby. We’ll agree on that 👍🏼

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Pointless exercise going back and forward all day. Away to have some dinner, a nice glass of red and forget about Hibs for a few days.

It’s never easy being a hibby. We’ll agree on that
    Its a conundrum and I'm not sure what the answer is .
    I agree that a new centre back is required. Normally RP is a great header er of the ball but both he and PH were left wanting in defence.
    PH has been a weakness in many Hampden games he cannot handle the big physical guys .
    RP is actually a magnificent passer of the ball I sometimes wonder if he could be played along side Gogic give a real solid middle of the park.
    Reality tells me he needs someone giving guidance beside him ..wheres Frank when you need him.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Still a raw young defender who if I am correct are a wee bit like goalkeepers and dont really mature into really good players until the get to around 28 or so, could be wrong but that is how I see it, he could do with Big Darren playing alongside for a wee while.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    Still a raw young defender who if I am correct are a wee bit like goalkeepers and dont really mature into really good players until the get to around 28 or so, could be wrong but that is how I see it, he could do with Big Darren playing alongside for a wee while.

28....oocha thats a long way away

Left by mutual consent!
    Well you happily accept the next time we get to a semi final and get hammered off a st Johnstone, a Ross county or a Livingston.

It will keep happening until changes are made. But as usual, it won’t be Paul Hanlons fault. One common theme in hibs being soft for years is Mr Soft himself. Not hard to see
    100% correct and spot on!

Why can we not source a big brut, with a bit of skill, from the likes Croatia or Bosnia etc? Build round that with a strong spine. Something Hibernian have lacked for a long long time.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Ahh, so it’s always the other centre half that makes Hanlon look bad ?

There is a common theme in soft hibs teams for years and it certainly isn’t Ryan.
    Are you a politician by any chance? You take a question that you can't answer without admitting there might be a valid point to it that doesn't fit with your stance so you just twist it.

On Saturday Paul Hanson was not brilliant by any means but he was not at fault with any of the goals we conceded. He was not our worst defender by a long way. There are a number of posts on here defending Ryan due to his age and lack of experience but if he's making mistakes now then by default that's a fair amount of time that Paul has been covering for him. At start of the season they were playing well but ones form has dropped and the others having to do more to cover. Saturday night, Scottish cup semi, Aberdeen away very obvious examples where the cover didn't get him off the hook but that doesn't mean that cover is to blame.

I'm not having a pop at Ryan he is learning and hopefully kicks on again but throwing accusations that it's all Paul Hanlons fault is on a par with Donald Trumps election fraud rants.

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    Are you a politician by any chance? You take a question that you can't answer without admitting there might be a valid point to it that doesn't fit with your stance so you just twist it.

On Saturday Paul Hanson was not brilliant by any means but he was not at fault with any of the goals we conceded. He was not our worst defender by a long way. There are a number of posts on here defending Ryan due to his age and lack of experience but if he's making mistakes now then by default that's a fair amount of time that Paul has been covering for him. At start of the season they were playing well but ones form has dropped and the others having to do more to cover. Saturday night, Scottish cup semi, Aberdeen away very obvious examples where the cover didn't get him off the hook but that doesn't mean that cover is to blame.

I'm not having a pop at Ryan he is learning and hopefully kicks on again but throwing accusations that it's all Paul Hanlons fault is on a par with Donald Trumps election fraud rants.
    Never once said it was all Hanlons fault. I was replying in jest to another comment.

My point is, people complain we’re soft and they are sick of us losing big games and then come on here and defend Paul Hanlon. He’s been a part of it for too long now and needs replaced.

going by your view, it’s all Ryan’s fault ? And your comparing me to Trump ? 😂
    Last edited by NC1875; 24-01-2021 at 11:24 PM.

Never once said it was all Hanlons fault. I was replying in jest to another comment.

My point is, people complain we’re soft and they are sick of us losing big games and then come on here and defend Paul Hanlon. He’s been a part of it for too long now and needs replaced.

going by your view, it’s all Ryan’s fault ? And your comparing me to Trump ? 😂
    Hes been part of what for too long? There has been much more positive than negative in the last 5 years and Paul has been a core memeber of that success.

@hibs.net private member
    Porteous is still young by CH ages. However is gets picked and has been at fault a few times this season. He was at fault for the crucial opening goal on Saturday. The fact that Hibs are soft in the centre needs addressed. Dropping Hanlon and playing McGregor gives you two right sided CH. it maybe time to rest Ryan and bring in back into the team like Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Porteous is still young by CH ages. However is gets picked and has been at fault a few times this season. He was at fault for the crucial opening goal on Saturday. The fact that Hibs are soft in the centre needs addressed. Dropping Hanlon and playing McGregor gives you two right sided CH. it maybe time to rest Ryan and bring in back into the team like Josh.
    Daz is not the answer.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Daz is not the answer.
    Sadly true. What we need is a younger fitter version of Daz. We need an experienced, physical, organiser in or around the back line. Someone who carries the respect of the players and takes no nonsense from the opposition

I’ve always thought,perhaps naively,that a weak defence leads to an unacceptable number of goals in the against column but I see that in the league only two teams have a better record than us.Does this not mean the call to bring in new defenders particularly from clubs who have a worse,in some cases much worse,record than ours is slightly silly?

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I’ve always thought,perhaps naively,that a weak defence leads to an unacceptable number of goals in the against column but I see that in the league only two teams have a better record than us.Does this not mean the call to bring in new defenders particularly from clubs who have a worse,in some cases much worse,record than ours is slightly silly?
    100%, our problem is that in the few games we do concede we tend to capitulate. We’ve got a very good record yet conceded 2 goals in 7 of our games and 3 goals in 3 of our games, that’s 23 goals in those 10 games yet conceded 33 in a total of 32 games overall.

It’s never easy being a hibby. We’ll agree on that 👍🏼
    I don’t think he’s great. I just don’t think it’s his fault when other individuals make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Our good record will largely date back to the strong start the defence made to the season.

I’d be surprised if anyone in the league has been worse over the past month or so.

No idea what has gone wrong, what has changed. I’d take some convincing that the players simply aren’t good enough as they looked very much good enough for a couple of months.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Our good record will largely date back to the strong start the defence made to the season.

I’d be surprised if anyone in the league has been worse over the past month or so.

No idea what has gone wrong, what has changed. I’d take some convincing that the players simply aren’t good enough as they looked very much good enough for a couple of months.
    Last 6 league games, goals conceded-
    Rangers - 2
    Celtc, Livi - 4
    Dundee Utd, St Mirren - 6
    Hibs, Aberdeen, Killie, Hamilton - 7
    St Johnstone - 8
    Motherwell - 10
    Ross County - 12

We played Rangers, Celtc and in form Livi in those 6 games as well,

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Last 6 league games, goals conceded-
    Rangers - 2
    Celtc, Livi - 4
    Dundee Utd, St Mirren - 6
    Hibs, Aberdeen, Killie, Hamilton - 7
    St Johnstone - 8
    Motherwell - 10
    Ross County - 12

We played Rangers, Celtc and in form Livi in those 6 games as well,
    OK.

Interesting though that of those worse than us in the list, 2 of them have beaten us 2-0 at home and 3-0 at Hampden recently.

And it does back up the inconsistency argument as even over those few games of poor form our maligned defence has had some decent enough performances in with the poor ones.

Left by mutual consent!
    Apparently Millwall interested in him.

Please make this happen

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post

Please make this happen

Any need for that?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    It was always thought that Ryan Porteus was going to make Hibs a lot of money, and his path from development to first team to Scotland to big money move used as the model for producing players.

You can point at some of his weaknesses but he can, and will continue to develop and improve into a top quality, athletic central defender. It’s no surprise if clubs are thinking this might be a good time to make a move to buy him with his best years ahead of him.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Any need for that?
    Don't rise to it

Coaching Staff

Please make this happen

No idea why you’re still here.

Testimonial Due
    Some people on this forum need to think before they post!
    Only 18 months ago it was Hanlon for Scotland, then touting Porteous for Scotland?
    Then as soon as we have a few bad results they are to blame for everything!
    Every fan wants their club to be winning cups and be up near the top of the league every year!
    Of course we want the best results in every game, but, if your a Hibs supporter, you should be looking at realism rather than fantasy!!!

I think our league position 4th has more to do with our defensive record than our attacking. Looking before Christmas I think we'd conceded 12 goals fewer than the previous one at the same time. That's a big difference in half a season.

No idea what's going wrong now as the players in those positions (and midfield) are the same ones that started the campaign. Is it the tactics/formations?

If we had a more potent attack that would also greatly relieve it. Losing the first goal or not scoring it will always alter the game plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Don't rise to it
    God forbid Ryan plays a bad pass tomorrow night or even worse causes a goal. The micro scrutiny of our players errors\mistakes is beyond ridiculous sometimes. The guy Kerr was having a terrible time when he started out playing for st Johnstone but with experience he is becoming a good defender.
    Ryans had a good season but like any young player (or anyone) learning his trade he will make daft mistakes or get out manovered by more seasoned pros which usually lead to a goal and then the usual abuse on here.

Testimonial Due

Please make this happen

I dunno how you keep getting away with these comments. Thread after thread of trolling!

Porteous had a poor game at the weekend and arguably the same in the Hearts semi. But some of the criticism is way OTT.

Obviously the goals lost were poor on Saturday and in hindsight Doidge was a big miss at set pieces. But Porteous very rarely loses his man like that.

As for looking for fouls... aside from Frimpong, Porteous is the most fouled defender in the league. So he clearly is doing something right there. It’s the same stuff we all hated Pressley or Berra doing for Hearts but it’s good professional play.

He also has the 4th most interceptions in the league. And he plays and completes more passes on average this season than Paul Hanlon does.

So he very clearly is a great prospect and he’s having a good season. Like too many others, he didn’t bring that form into the 2 biggest games of the year and that’s something they all need to rectify.

Some rangers fans seem to think he’s out injured tomorrow as he needs treatment/surgery on his knee.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Adam Jackson was looking really good before last season was ended. We’ve missed him badly imo.
    Yep, he was really starting to look the part towards the end of last season and is a loss to us.

It was handy that he went as at the time it looked only right that Porteous should get a run. We might also have expected more from McGregor.

With hindsight though, he has been a loss, although we probably weren't saying that after the first couple of months of the season when the defence were doing fine.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Some rangers fans seem to think he’s out injured tomorrow as he needs treatment/surgery on his knee.
    Would not surprise me. He took a real dull one on the right knee from one St Johnston clogger. Looked deliberate too.