hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Porteous

Porteous

I was a big admirer of Ryan but he’s frustrating me more and more.

He needs to decide who he is, if he wants to act a big tough man then fine but he needs to play like it and consistently. He’s acting tough one minute then diving or rolling about the floor to get a foul the next.

Near the end of the game today he chipped the ball to their midfielder who was 30 yards out?

The 1st goal was amateur defending from him. Kerr barely had to move to get space as Porteous got attracted to the ball and caught under it.

Games like that today and the goals we conceded made me wish we had Daz in the team. He would go and dominate in the air and take no prisoners, he knows what sort of player he is and doesn’t change.

Porteous has so much potential but him being indecisive is costing him and as a result us of so many goals.

Id be tempted to bring in a centre half the just loves defending and does the job well. Guthrie, Gallagher and Jason Kerr are 3 examples.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was a big admirer of Ryan but he’s frustrating me more and more.

He needs to decide who he is, if he wants to act a big tough man then fine but he needs to play like it and consistently. He’s acting tough one minute then diving or rolling about the floor to get a foul the next.

Near the end of the game today he chipped the ball to their midfielder who was 30 yards out?

The 1st goal was amateur defending from him. Kerr barely had to move to get space as Porteous got attracted to the ball and caught under it.

Games like that today and the goals we conceded made me wish we had Daz in the team. He would go and dominate in the air and take no prisoners, he knows what sort of player he is and doesn’t change.

Porteous has so much potential but him being indecisive is costing him and as a result us of so many goals.

Id be tempted to bring in a centre half the just loves defending and does the job well. Guthrie, Gallagher and Jason Kerr are 3 examples.
    I agree with the most part, but it’s unfair to have a go at him for getting clattered early on. No need at all.

Porteous will be a fantastic CB and will no doubt be a future Scottish international.
    His issue is that he cannot get away with half the stuff he does with Hanlon and McGinn beside him. He needs as you said a Declan Gallagher type beside him.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    I agree with the most part, but it’s unfair to have a go at him for getting clattered early on. No need at all.
    Sorry for clarity that’s not relating to the sore one he took early on today.

It was meant as an overall observation. He seems to drop to the floor very quickly and dive about wanting fouls all the time.

Confirmed tonight won’t get picked for Scotland at euros

Said it a million times. He won’t improve with Hanlon beside him.

Players must absolutely love playing us. Softest side in the league

Adam Jackson was looking really good before last season was ended. We’ve missed him badly imo.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Porto was targeted as a weak link today. That's from a source in the Saints backroom team.

It was meant as an overall observation. He seems to drop to the floor very quickly and dive about wanting fouls all the time.
    I said similar on another thread, too busy looking for fouls instead of looking to win the ball. When he first made the first team that's all he wanted to do win everything, now he looks for a slight touch and it's distracting his game, He needs to watch how Daz defended in his day.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post

His performance was woeful twice not attacking the ball and tries to pathetically buy a foul. Shambolic defending.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Ryan's only 21, a good spl player with heaps of potential to develop

Young players lack consistently and sometimes have bad games

Ryan is not an issue for us imho

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Think some folk forget how young Porto still is at times. He could have done with a few more seasons getting game time here and there alongside Daz and Hanlon, unfortunately that hasn't been possible.

Feel sorry for him at times cause he has made a fair few errors that's led to goals this season.

Quote Originally Posted by KingPat4 View Post
    Porto was targeted as a weak link today. That's from a source in the Saints backroom team.
    also heard this through a friend of Steven McLean

Absolutely woeful at the first goal. A goal that was a game changer. I blame him more than Jack Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Adam Jackson was looking really good before last season was ended. We’ve missed him badly imo.
    Said the same thing a while back. Was also a goal threat.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Think some folk forget how young Porto still is at times. He could have done with a few more seasons getting game time here and there alongside Daz and Hanlon, unfortunately that hasn't been possible.

Feel sorry for him at times cause he has made a fair few errors that's led to goals this season.

Ryan is only one year younger than Jason Kerr. I know who I'd rather have playing Centre Back !

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post

Agree he has got youth on his side but he will never learn how to be a centre half playing beside Hanlon

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Time on his side but patience is running thin, he continues to be rash and his decision making poor. He isnt improving fast enough.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    It was him that got caught out in the hearts semi final too I’m sure. Needs to be better.

I have a feeling his career will take a similar path to Paul Hanlon’s. Almost overhyped when first breaking into the team, but definitely not bad enough to get rid of him. Will no doubt have a few stand out games and others where he makes mistakes.

He’s one of these players where Hibs will probably be his level for his whole career and will never be consistent enough to get a better move.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Porteous is decent enough and will get better, mistakes are all part of the development. He needs a strong leader beside him and I don’t think that’s Hanlon unfortunately.

Lying there on the floor like a big girls blouse while the St Johnstone players celebrate. I'm sorry but he needs to grow a set of nuts. I like Ryan and think he has something but **** me man man up. They must have been pissing themselves laughing. I hope big Darren McGregor pulls him up on it. Darren is past it in all honesty but he wouldn't lie there like a wet blanket. He's playing against men here. A centre half needs to be imposing in my opinion. He needs to learn and fast or he'll not go any further. I don't think Paul Hanlon is the right personality to give him a rocket when he needs it. Paul isn't a bad ******* and we need a bad ******* as captian.
    Last edited by Since452; 23-01-2021 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRobot View Post
    Porteous is decent enough and will get better, mistakes are all part of the development. He needs a strong leader beside him and I don’t think that’s Hanlon unfortunately.
    This 100%, Hanlon is soft as *****.

First Team Breakthrough
    Another one who believes the hype surrounding him. Never an international in a million years, Hibs stalwart for the next 15 years as we continue to accept mediocrity

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by northern-hibee View Post
    Another one who believes the hype surrounding him. Never an international in a million years, Hibs stalwart for the next 15 years as we continue to accept mediocrity
    But harsh on a young player who's been more than good this year

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Porto has been poor for a few games, he has at fault for a few goals today, also against Livvy and Ross County, it’s funny how half the people on here are blaming Hanlon for his mistakes, some pretty basic! I think a few games out the team will do him good in the long term, I know the issue is we don’t have much cover there which we need to address but I would player McGregor against Rangers

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Porto has been outstanding for us this season, lets not forget that.

Admittedly he struggled badly today but I do wonder if the knock he took in the first 5mins of the game adversely affected his performance.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

He needs to remember he plays for Hibs we don't get these soft fouls. Concentrate on defending first

Too short to be a centre half!

Mentioned this a couple of times. We need a captain and the current certainly ain't one