hibs.net Messageboard

Style of Play??????

Can anyone tell me what style of play/identity that this team has? I genuinely cannot see one, Ross has been in charge over a year and he hasn’t implemented a style of play, that is criminal

2. Log in to remove the advert

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Miss midfield with Porteous or Hanlon trying to thread passes. When that fails, long aimless balls. Our build up play is generally very disjointed. Hit and hope.

First Team Regular
    Agreed,

I dont think he is the right man for the Job based on his style of play alone.

When you add to that 2 embarrassing semi final defeats his time is up for me.

Hes not the right man for Hibs.

Yes i know, we are 4th ( for now! ) but lets be honest even if we finish 4th its been a pretty dire brand of football to watch the majority of the season.

Style is the first problem with this thread

Too many formation changes, almost every game.
    No balance throughout the team.
    No leaders on the park.
    No creation and very little football played, never ruthless or convincing.
    Seldom any desire, belief or fight to make things happen.
    Predictable slow, insipid and horrible to watch.

Been pretty much the same for the majority of the season.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too many formation changes, almost every game.
    No balance throughout the team.
    No leaders on the park.
    No creation and very little football played, never ruthless or convincing.
    Seldom any desire, belief or fight to make things happen.
    Predictable slow, insipid and horrible to watch.

Been pretty much the same for the majority of the season.
    Concise and 100% correct. These have been my sentiments for the best part of the season.

He makes Millars teams look good and they were mostly eye bleeding.

First Team Breakthrough

Players unfit

Jack Ross IMO got it wrong yet again by playing Murphy who can’t last 20 min never mind 90. Kyle McGinnis is another with no pace as for Doidge waste of a Jersey. Last half hour most of the team looked knackered except for young Doug and Irvine. Ross tactically I’d so inept

Score first then hit on the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    He makes Millars teams look good and they were mostly eye bleeding.
    Ahh Lexo years, my formative years as a hibbie! Remember when we signed the New famous five? billy kirkwood Mark haughey Stuart beedie? The rangers guy who keepie uppies during the game.. was it dougie bell? happy days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PortoHSC View Post
    Can anyone tell me what style of play/identity that this team has? I genuinely cannot see one, Ross has been in charge over a year and he hasn’t implemented a style of play, that is criminal
    It’s all over the shop. No idea what the end game is supposed to be with the team we’re building and the football we play.

Style of play we haven’t

First Team Regular OstKurve Hibs's Avatar
    There is no style, there is no game plan, theres 10 players running around like headless chickens at times who look like they dont actually know their jobs.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Something ironic in Ron Gordon doing a fair bit of work on Hibs brand yet we don’t have a brand of football...

Quote Originally Posted by PortoHSC View Post
    It was there for all to see, miss the midfield and punt up to no one.
    Last edited by gaz1875; 24-01-2021 at 10:40 AM.

Think Rangers or Celtic and you know exactly how they're going to play and it's up to the opponents to stop then, we have played about 4-5 different tactics this season, ffs man pick one and get the players to play it every week.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by OstKurve Hibs View Post
    There is no style, there is no game plan, theres 10 players running around like headless chickens at times who look like they dont actually know their jobs.
    We have no style.

May sound controversial but I think we need players that are better on the ball, the best Hibs sides I’ve had are full of attack and players comfortable on the ball no matter how many surround them or how much pressure they’re under.

Whilst I like Ross’ signings I’m scared they’re all a bit similar in that they’re physical and can run

That coupled with defenders that enjoy going and putting their head on the end of a cross.

When you think of the Hibs teams recently

Ambrose
    McGeough
    McGinn
    Allan
    Henderson
    Fyvie
    Stokes

etc

All could mix it but also very comfortable on the ball and could create

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    If no midfielder is demanding the ball and there’s no target man to aim for I really don’t know what the centre half’s are meant to do with the ball when they get it?

Get it up the park somewhere and hope Boyle, Murphy or Nisbet create something out of nothing I think.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    We seem to sign adhoc players for the midfield positions without having a plan as to how they'll fit in.

It's a bit like ordering random pieces from Amazon for a jigsaw puzzle you're currently working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    We seem to sign adhoc players for the midfield positions without having a plan as to how they'll fit in.

It's a bit like ordering random pieces from Amazon for a jigsaw puzzle you're currently working on.
    I must say this is something that annoyed me in Ross’ comments about Cadden.

It was along the lines of we never signed him for a specific position and his versatility was a big factor.

I’d always prefer a clear picture of the formation and players that will play in each one. If one player is injured the next should slot in seamlessly. You’re seeing how well it works for Rangers at the moment.

Punt the ball aimlessly and hope Nisbet or someone else is in the vacinity. Then that player needs to hold the ball up with 2 players at his arse with zero support most of the time.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post

Correct.
    Perversely, Hibs having a bigger budget works against us sometimes.

Teams like St J, Livi etc have less cash and fill specific spots or replace players that leave etc.

Our "random midfield bingo" is not helping one bit.

Missing out on Ross Mcrorie now looks like it was a terrible error as those we have signed subsequently haven't exactly filled that hole.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    Ahh Lexo years, my formative years as a hibbie! Remember when we signed the New famous five? billy kirkwood Mark haughey Stuart beedie? The rangers guy who keepie uppies during the game.. was it dougie bell? happy days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Having said that, I'd take Hunter, Miller, McIntyre, Murdo, Weir, Wright and Lexo over what we have now.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Correct.
    Perversely, Hibs having a bigger budget works against us sometimes.

Teams like St J, Livi etc have less cash and fill specific spots or replace players that leave etc.

Our "random midfield bingo" is not helping one bit.

Missing out on Ross Mcrorie now looks like it was a terrible error as those we have signed subsequently haven't exactly filled that hole.
    I don’t think missing out on McRorie has made any difference. The team doesn’t have a consistent style of play so he would have had a different role every game same as those that have been recruited. At the moment no one in the team looks comfortable playing in their positions because the style of play and personnel changes for every game so there is no chance for players to gel as a unit. JRs best results were at the start of the season where 12/15 players were consistently used and you could see them gelling.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I must say this is something that annoyed me in Ross’ comments about Cadden.

It was along the lines of we never signed him for a specific position and his versatility was a big factor.

I’d always prefer a clear picture of the formation and players that will play in each one. If one player is injured the next should slot in seamlessly. You’re seeing how well it works for Rangers at the moment.
    Totally agree and in my view the biggest issue we have at the club. Outside of the defence, no player has a settled position. The formation chops and changes and players aren't allowed to become settled in a particular role. Only players like Newell and Gogic have been allowed to play a settled role - everyone else is expected to play a different position every week.

These players are decent players - but not so good that we should be able to expect them to perform at a high level tactically in multiple different roles / formations.

I do think it's poor management. Look at Rangers this year - that team is like clockwork. Same formation every week with every player knowing their role inside out. I wish Ross would just settle on ONE line up and just master it.

Take the lead then hit teams on the counter... if we don’t score first we struggle big time

Until we address our powder puff central defence we will always struggle, midfielder after midfielder brought in,but no big no nonsense centre half who will do the no nonsense defending we need 2 if we could get them, we will always lose games to set pieces as we are and have been soft as ***** for years , the fans can see it why can hibs management not , teams know if we don't score early we run out of ideas and revert to hoof ball, until this area of our team is improved we will continue to struggle

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Tully View Post
    Until we address our powder puff central defence we will always struggle, midfielder after midfielder brought in,but no big no nonsense centre half who will do the no nonsense defending we need 2 if we could get them, we will always lose games to set pieces as we are and have been soft as ***** for years , the fans can see it why can hibs management not , teams know if we don't score early we run out of ideas and revert to hoof ball, until this area of our team is improved we will continue to struggle
    Does anyone know what goes on at HTC!
    It doesn’t look as if it is used to develop a style of play that players can buy into.
    It doesn’t look as if it is used to develop and practice scoring goals from set pieces. There is no variation to our corner kick routine and the use of Boyle as the dead ball striker yesterday was horrendous.
    It doesn’t look as if it is used to develop and practice defending goals from set pieces. Yesterday’s efforts at that were hopeless and embarrassing.
    Is HTC all about conditioning and getting unfit players back to match fit standards because if it is then they are not doing a good job of that either. Our front players don’t have any pace to get away from defenders. Boyle is supposed to have pace but he is so out of form at the moment he is not worth a place in the team. Most of the other players appear to me to be blowing out their a...s long before the 90 minutes is up.
    Teams like Ross County, Livingston and St Johnstone, all of which we have played recently, seemed to be to be better prepared to play against us than we were to play against them. I mean in all aspects,
    style of play, tactics and fitness. So I ask once again does anyone know what goes on at HTC?