• Bring back Mr Stubbs

18 3.54%
  • Bring in A,Another

14 2.76%
Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross out

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No disrespect intended, but I don't think that is a very fair assessment of yesterday.

There was no lack of fitness or awareness in the first 45 minutes. We were dominant and very unlucky to be a goal down at half time due to a combination of a good delivery by Wotherspoon and a poor piece of defending by Porteous, who got caught under the ball.

I was quite confident that we'd get back into the match provided, that is, we played like we did first half, but 4 minutes in and we are undone by another great delivery and a good header (credit where it's due). This had a huge impact of the match.

After that we went to bits (not acceptable) but the mindset of both teams completely changes. St Johnstone have their tails up and all of sudden are doing things they weren't capable of doing in the first half. The second goal has the opposite effect on us, our decision making becomes poor, we start making basic errors and completely lose our shape.

It's an old cliche but goals change games and the second yesterday clearly gave St Johnstone a huge boost and completely knocked the stuffing out of us.

I don't think it's about fitness, you go 2 up when you've been the poorer side and suddenly you're flying. You go 2 down when you have clearly been the better side and suddenly you start making poor decisions and look leggy.

Do I think it's acceptable? No, but I understand how cruel the game can be at times.

If I had a criticism of Jack Ross it was the starting of Cadden. He didn't look match fit to me. I'd have started Boyle wide right and played Doidge up top with Nisbet but, even then (apart from criticising our finishing) I don't see how anybody can say that there was much wrong with our display until that second goal went in.

At the risk of repeating myself, it was a huge moment in the match that gave St Johnstone a massive lift and completely knocking the stuffing out of us.
    Great Post which covers how I saw things. Doidges presence may also have prevented the two headed goals. Only addition I would add is that due to Newell being missing we needed a set piece taker in the team so i would have had Hallberg in the team instead of Gogic for that purpose. Boylers set pieces were dire and a lot of good scoring opportunities were therefore lost.

2. Log in to remove the advert

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Yet still sitting 4th, can't argue with yesterday as the players fell to bits after they scored for some reason. If we were as rank rotten as the poster suggested we would not be in the position we are in, currently going through a bad patch, now the team need to show its just a blip
    Is it a bad patch or are other teams fixing problems they had at the start of season? Managers sacked and new ones taking over - Martindale and Hughes being two prime examples. I’d expect based on squad we’ve acquired finishing 4th is absolute minimum, this season more than ever. Emphasis on finishing 4th, not being in 4th. Clubs are struggling with financial constraints and we’re in a far stronger position financially due to size and number of supporters etc. but yet we’ve been humbled by two clubs that have what 2k ST holders at most? Not just beaten 1-0 in a close game. Thrashed.

I honestly don’t think this feels like a blip. Seen this show more than a few times. How many chances does our excellent squad create for Nisbet in a match? 1 if lucky? Apart from Murphy’s chance yesterday we didn’t create many, if any, clear chances. How well does our excellent squad defend when they go behind? Ragged and disjointed is what we normally become unless we are playing Celtic or Rangers.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Is it a bad patch or are other teams fixing problems they had at the start of season? Managers sacked and new ones taking over - Martindale and Hughes being two prime examples. I’d expect based on squad we’ve acquired finishing 4th is absolute minimum, this season more than ever. Emphasis on finishing 4th, not being in 4th. Clubs are struggling with financial constraints and we’re in a far stronger position financially due to size and number of supporters etc. but yet we’ve been humbled by two clubs that have what 2k ST holders at most? Not just beaten 1-0 in a close game. Thrashed.

I honestly don’t think this feels like a blip. Seen this show more than a few times. How many chances does our excellent squad create for Nisbet in a match? 1 if lucky? Apart from Murphy’s chance yesterday we didn’t create many, if any, clear chances. How well does our excellent squad defend when they go behind? Ragged and disjointed is what we normally become unless we are playing Celtic or Rangers.
    Hopefully a bad patch but suppose we will need to wait and see, we will see how good(or bad) a manager JR really is in the next few weeks. Defence needs sorted big time for me, the 2 CH's just aren't playing well enough. Going forward we are usually OK but again another forward would be great. Fingers crossed things improve, just a pity we are playing the best team in the country by a mile in our next game

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Hopefully a bad patch but suppose we will need to wait and see, we will see how good(or bad) a manager JR really is in the next few weeks. Defence needs sorted big time for me, the 2 CH's just aren't playing well enough. Going forward we are usually OK but again another forward would be great. Fingers crossed things improve, just a pity we are playing the best team in the country by a mile in our next game
    If we capitulate against Rangers then it’s done. Shouldn’t be viewed as a free hit. Losing can be understood but if we have no shots on goal and lose 3-0 or more then it’s done.

Players, if they genuinely have pride in their performances, should have rotten confidence at the moment. Humblings by weaker opposition and out 2 cups in that manner. Another mauling and something has to give otherwise this patch will be hard to recover from.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Personally, I'm still happy for Ross to continue for now. Better Hibs managers have lost semi-finals in the past, and we don't win a trophy often. The second half was very poor yesterday and Ross's side aren't great to watch, but I still think he deserves more time. Fourth in the league at this stage is good, and the league is the key issue. Let's find out if he can take this team forward and see where we are at the end of the season. I just think it would be harsh to sack him at this point.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    First half was as good as we’ve played all season. Nothing wrong with Gogic then. This was the football everyone was crying out for. “Even if we get beat”.
    We weren't bad for the first 30 mins but as good as we have been all season is a stretch.

I don't what you mean by "this is the football everyone was crying out for".

@hibs.net private member
    Its just a thought but if we get a result on Wednesday will the same people calling for Jack Ross's head be on here saying 'celtic better no steal our manager?'.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 147lothian View Post
    Its just a thought but if we get a result on Wednesday will the same people calling for Jack Ross's head be on here saying 'celtic better no steal our manager?'.
    No. Celtic won’t want him anyway.

He would need to follow it up with more positive results - in the same way it has taken negative results followed by more negative results to arrive at this point.

First Team Breakthrough
    No disrespect intended, but I don't think that is a very fair assessment of yesterday.

There was no lack of fitness or awareness in the first 45 minutes. We were dominant and very unlucky to be a goal down at half time due to a combination of a good delivery by Wotherspoon and a poor piece of defending by Porteous, who got caught under the ball.

I was quite confident that we'd get back into the match provided, that is, we played like we did first half, but 4 minutes in and we are undone by another great delivery and a good header (credit where it's due). This had a huge impact of the match.

After that we went to bits (not acceptable) but the mindset of both teams completely changes. St Johnstone have their tails up and all of sudden are doing things they weren't capable of doing in the first half. The second goal has the opposite effect on us, our decision making becomes poor, we start making basic errors and completely lose our shape.

It's an old cliche but goals change games and the second yesterday clearly gave St Johnstone a huge boost and completely knocked the stuffing out of us.

I don't think it's about fitness, you go 2 up when you've been the poorer side and suddenly you're flying. You go 2 down when you have clearly been the better side and suddenly you start making poor decisions and look leggy.

Do I think it's acceptable? No, but I understand how cruel the game can be at times.

If I had a criticism of Jack Ross it was the starting of Cadden. He didn't look match fit to me. I'd have started Boyle wide right and played Doidge up top with Nisbet but, even then (apart from criticising our finishing) I don't see how anybody can say that there was much wrong with our display until that second goal went in.

At the risk of repeating myself, it was a huge moment in the match that gave St Johnstone a massive lift and completely knocking the stuffing out of us.
    Best post since full time. A degree of common sense amongst all the madness being said from some.

No, I referred to this last night.

For a growing number of fans, it won't now matter what Ross achieves at Hibs, short of a Scottish Cup win and perhaps splitting the Old Firm and consistent derby wins, his position's now untenable.

There's an inevitability about his position that reminds me of how I felt about Heckingbottom just before he left.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

For a growing number of fans, it won't now matter what Ross achieves at Hibs, short of a Scottish Cup win and perhaps splitting the Old Firm and consistent derby wins, his position's now untenable.

There's an inevitability about his position that reminds me of how I felt about Heckingbottom just before he left.
    A lot of folk won’t take to him because they feel his Hibs team simply aren’t enjoyable to watch at all.

To add to that, we rarely even get the thrill of a win in a big game under him.

In general, the best it gets is a slog of a win against Kilmarnock etc. That’s not good enough.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    I will wager you now Celtic will NOT be stealing our manager, you just making this up??

The team selection was madness. 1st mistake.

The finishing was poor - been like this for weeks.

The defending was basic - no new CB and same players who keep making mistakes. Undroppable as no competition for places.

Conceding 10 mins before half time after dominating for 30 mins is poor mindset alongside bad coaching / average player not being able to stop a run from a corner.

Now..at half time - I would love to hear what was said.

5 mins later..game is over.
    1 minute later he changes Cadden for Doidge.

Reactive sub - maybe if he had done this at half time Doidge would have won that header and still been 1-0.

11 mins later we concede again as he doesn’t take Murphy off who has done his hamstring - doesn’t stop cross going in = 3v0.

Then he panics again and brings on Magennis who hasn’t played since 23rd December. That’s a full month !

Then he brings on Scott Allan who hasn’t played since 30th August !!!!! Absolutely madness and high risk both subs could relapse.

Add in dropping Mallan who got us to the semi final with the Alloa performance and Gray who is a leader. Can you imagine the ripple around the squad when this was announced.

There is more depth than it’s just about goals etc - it’s how he continually makes bad choices and there is no co-incidence every team in the league and even league below would fancy playing us as we are a mess.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Whether he stays or goes, although my preference would be to go. It does show in big games that he lacks a winning mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    A lot of folk won’t take to him because they feel his Hibs team simply aren’t enjoyable to watch at all.

In general, the best it gets is a slog of a win against Kilmarnock etc. That’s not good enough.
    I was pretty meh about his appointment and have pretty much felt that way throughout his time with us.

I know folk find the whole ‘I just can’t take to him’ thing a bit odd but I just can’t. I can’t even see what type of team he’s trying to build. We seem to be going for a decent quality of player but there just doesn’t seem to be any plan as to how we’re going put them together.

He also lost 2 finals at Sunderland.

If you google his time at Sunderland - several articles which were very similar to his time at Hibs.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/201...-him-ten-games

Lots of draws - 2 big game let downs - penalties and a late goal. Again mindset related at pressure times.

@hibs.net private member

Agree with that , the fact that we have lost the 2 biggest games that we are likely to have this season to a lower league team and team below us in the league makes there no way back for him.
    Come season ticket renewal time there will be lots who unfortunately due to circumstances will not to be able to afford to renew and others who will be but will decide to spend there money elsewhere.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    I will wager you now Celtic will NOT be stealing our manager, you just making this up??
    Its not that long ago that a lot of posters on here were saying that celtic better no try to steal JR Im not making that up.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I was pretty meh about his appointment and have pretty much felt that way throughout his time with us.

I know folk find the whole ‘I just can’t take to him’ thing a bit odd but I just can’t. I can’t even see what type of team he’s trying to build. We seem to be going for a decent quality of player but there just doesn’t seem to be any plan as to how we’re going put them together.
    He has no personality? The radio interview last night was very bizzare.

Yup. I’ve no idea what he’s trying to build, what our style of play is meant to be etc.

It seems to be a case of get as many versatile players in as possible and then we can change formations/line-ups all the time.

Under Stubbs and Lennon you could see a very clear plan of the team they were building, where everyone fits in and what our style of play was. Most of the time when we signed someone you knew why and you knew exactly where they were going to play. We’re a million miles from that now.

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar

I'm not arsed but then I'm not arsed about a lot of things about Hibs these days, which is a worrying sign. Majority of the time I find watching us play boring but not sure how much of that is down to the football or down to me sitting in the house watching it alone with no banter or atmosphere or anything.
    What I will say is that thought we were pretty good first half yesterday and were really unlucky to go in at half time one down. Had no fears at that point that we were still in the game. Them scoring the 2nd changed it and what what followed can only be described as a shambles. Roll on Wednesday, I'll still watch the game but can only hope we get back into Easter Rd soon as if we don't and this is what's still on offer I might not be back for a while.

*Don't mind me, win on Wednesday and I will probably be all happy and smiles again .

The poll on here isn’t a huge sample size, but there seems to be a narrow majority for keeping him on amongst .net posters.

That is also just after a sore defeat when feelings will be running high.

Also, if you want a change to things you’re likely to make more noise than if you want the status quo.

Id conclude he has the (grudging) support of the majority, and saying his position is untenable is too far. Only the board will know how much patience they have.

Highly unlikely that scenario will develop 🤨

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The poll on here isn’t a huge sample size, but there seems to be a narrow majority for keeping him on amongst .net posters.
    It's a narrow majority for him to be replaced factoring in all voting options.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

I think after last night, even beating Rangers on Wednesday will only provide him with short term relief. We would only be another bad defeat away from the knives being out again.

From my own point of view, I think he should remain for the rest of the season, if we finish any lower than 4th (which I currently wouldn't put past us) then he should go.

If results like last night continue by the time the fans return then the atmosphere's going to be quite poisonous.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I think Ross’s decision yesterday to throw in players well short of match fitness (Cadden, Irvine, Allan, Magennis) ahead of players who have been doing it for him all season could cause massive issues for him with the team.

If you win, everyone accepts it - the players left out can’t complain.

But to lose, and lose in the manner we did, makes it very hard to justify.

Hallberg and Gogic both played well against Killie. We’ve got a striker on the bench so there’s no need to move Boyle up front to accommodate Cadden.

If you’re Hallberg, Mallan or Doidge you’re going to be annoyed at the selection.

For thirty-odd minutes, it looked like it was working but it didn’t take long for the cracks to show.

We looked like a team who didn’t know what we were doing, and the changes that Ross made didn’t change that. In fact, we got worse after the changes.

As great as it was to see Scott Allan back, surely there’s a question about whether or not it’s fair or right to use a cup semi final to give him his first taste of competitive football in months.

To pick the team under those circumstances (unless there are injuries/knocks we’re unaware of that forced his hand) and then compound that by slaughtering the players post match (however much we agree with him) won’t have given Ross much credit with the players.

It’s decisions like these that can see a manager lose the dressing room.

He’s dug himself a hole now as well, because he’s got to pick a team to dig in for him to try and beat Rangers so he’s either going back to the team that let him down yesterday or he’s turning to the guys he dropped for the new faces Not a great situation.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    It's a narrow majority for him to be replaced factoring in all voting options.

Whilst I’d agree with hibsbollah that the folk wanting rid are likely to make more noise, he’s lost enough of the support that it’s a major issue for him and the club going forward. It’s going to take a huge change in what he’s served us up so far to turn it round - wins in big games and much more enjoyable football. I’m not sure he has it in him as these were his issues which seen him ultimately fail at Sunderland as well.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

That is also just after a sore defeat when feelings will be running high.

Also, if you want a change to things you’re likely to make more noise than if you want the status quo.

Id conclude he has the (grudging) support of the majority, and saying his position is untenable is too far. Only the board will know how much patience they have.

Wouldn't say posters on here reflect the feelings of the whole support most likely to be younger supporters and a few older who post.
    The true feeling will be how much revenue the club bring in / loose.
    Not getting to both finals has cost the club a few quid in merchandise and the possibility of revenue in fans getting photos taking with cup when rules are relaxed.
    Season ticket renewal could also be a disaster